49 E Main Street
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepastaria.com/
- Phone: (408) 399-3477
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-M 5:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: T-Th 5:00pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Devon Coen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Donna Novi 4082023960
A word from The Pastaria
When Donna and Paul first met, they discovered that they shared a common heritage: food-loving Italian families and grandfathers who were chefs. The result of their partnership is a rich collection of authentic family recipes passed down through generations. Raised on Baked Mostaccioli with Aurora sauce, Devon developed a taste for gourmet cuisine at a young age. He trained formally at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa so that he can carry on the family tradition of working as a chef.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
The Pastaria - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
The Pastaria reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (91)fit for foodies (59)romantic (26)special occasion (25)notable wine list (22)kid-friendly (14)hot spot (8)good for groups (6)scenic view (3)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Short-staffed and Over-saucedMisterSeriousVIPDined on 7/20/2014On a recent Sunday night they seemed understaffed with a single server, single bus dude and the manager trying to handle all the tables. The restaurant isn't that large but on Sunday concert in the park days, it gets completely full with many customers with kids who expect fast service and rapid table turns. Table spacing is very close. There is no air conditioning and they leave the front door open on summer nights. Decor is simple. The food is almost all pasta combinations. Dishes tend to be over-sauced in my opinion. I had a serious pasta coma afterward!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pastaria is wonderful!JayceeVIPDined on 7/20/2014Great dinner, flavorful, great presentation, exciting menu, plentiful salad portions, congenial, accommodating staff. Introduced our friend to this great restaurant we have enjoyed over the years. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodAnotherunhappydinerDined on 7/19/2014Good food. Good service. Honored reservation on time....it's a place we will return toSpecial Features:
- Authentic Italian!StephVIPDined on 7/18/2014Some of the best fresh pasta we have ever had, and we have been to Italy a few times! Especially love the pesto dish! Truly a gem!Special Features:
- Gnocchi. I'm happyrwarkovVIPDined on 7/16/2014House made and delicous. Donna and Paul have done a wonderful job since they opened in '96. Consistently good food at fair prices. Very nice wine list too.Special Features:
- CindyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Service was horrible. 20 minutes to take our order. 20 minutes until the salad showed up. Thank God for the bus boy.
- What a little gemNYCgalDined on 7/3/2014This place is great. It is tiny with only 10 tables so that you have to wait if you don't have a reservation. The food is Italian but with an eclectic touch. Everything is fresh and made to order. I had the shaved fennel and kale salad and then penne with wax beans and arugula. Another had the gnocchi with meatballs. Delicious. Wines are reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not greatAhkenbertDined on 6/23/2014Food was ok. Pasta did not taste like and had the mouth feel of fresh pasta, possibly over cooked. It was Monday. Restaurant was not busy but service was slow. Server took order without writing them down. Sure enough the appetizers were forgotten.Special Features:
- YumBonnieDined on 6/19/2014We actually were surprised at how much we enjoyed our evening at La Pastaria. We live in the neighborhood and the food has always been great but the service....not so much. Well this particular night, the stars aligned and both the service and the food were perfect. If you go, just manage your expectations that the service may lag or.....you may hit it right as we did the other night!Special Features:
- LuvGemsDined on 6/14/2014Great charming place. Great pasta and ambience. Give you the feeling you are dining locally in Italy while in Los Gatos. Owner and all servers are warm, friendly and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceTimhr950Dined on 6/4/2014The Pastaria has been serving great Italian food for years. It is a small restaurant with warmth and charm. Whether you choose the evening special, or some of the you'll have a great meal. Due to the quality of food and service, it still draws a crowd and there is normally a line so book reservations.Special Features:
- Have loved The Pastaria for years!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014This is a family favorite! The food is outstanding. We use many excuses to frequent the joint: just a dinner out, birthdays, visiting guests. Always great.Special Features:
- Food is FreshTonyVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food is amazing. Really enjoyed the fresh pasta.
- WendyVIPDined on 5/28/2014Great as always. Love the homemade pasta. Yum! Any Italian wine is always good. Great cellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truffle RaviolisCS333Dined on 5/28/2014Love the Raviolis. A favorite The wedge was very good. Tiramisu was amazing soaked in espresso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recent visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/26/2014We had reservations. Most people coming in did not but it was 5:00 so it was pretty early and easy to get a table. For some reason our table was not getting the attention the other tables were. Everyone had bread at their table. We had to ask for bread. We were not offered the wine list. 2 of the 4 dishes were not good. Added Chicken on the Mushroom and Black Truffle. It was delivered to us without Chicken. My "special" was smothered in sauce. There was so much sauce I could not enjoy it. The Frutti de Mar was not a favorite. It was extremely hot. No AC so not a great option on hot days. I have been here a few times and have always liked this restaurant but not this time. The waiter did apologize and bought us desserts which was nice.
- Pasteria is just like Italy!DJayDined on 5/25/2014Daily made fresh pasta is the key to this place. Also all the sauces are amazing. The Black Truffle pasta is amazing. Simple menu with a nice variety. We havent had a dish we didn't love. Try the Baked Brie and Garlic to start. Their Kale Salad is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very quaintOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a SMALL restaurant, with only about 10 tables.The food was very good,I would go again.On Saturday night, some guy walks in smoking a cigarette, talks to the receptionist for about 3-4 minutes. She says absolutely nothing about his cigarette.People in the restaurant are all looking around to see where this cigarette smoke is coming from.Finally, my daughter,who suffers from asthma,says something to a server who then finds the manager.By this time everyone's dinner is affected since the whole place smells like cigarettes, and the receptionist does zero. Finally, he is asked to leave. Management needs to know the smoking law and inform their employees!Special Features:
- great atmospherediskokidDined on 5/22/2014This restaurant has a classic Italian food, and with their imported wines, fresh made pasta, and participating owners it provides an excellent Italian dining experience. A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!JcwalDined on 5/22/2014This place is amazing! The best food I have ever eaten!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Time before EventslglighthouseDined on 5/22/2014We love to visit Pastaria, especially before an event at the high school. Owner and staff are always friendly and attentive. The pasta dishes are rich and savory, full of flavor. We enjoyed Aglio Olio with steak, salad with tri tip, walnut pesto chicken, ravioli, and pomodoro. All delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pasta in the South Baydontpanic503Dined on 5/18/2014This restaurant has ruined other Italian places for me. Quite simply EVERYTHING is good here. Definitely try the gnocchi, and the crab cannelloni if it's on the menu (it's seasonal). It's tiny, so it can get loud with just one rowdy group, and fills up quickly, so get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found our gnocchi!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014I found Pastaria when doing a search for good gnocchi in the area as it's one if our favorite Italian entrees when made correctly. Theirs are delicious! All four if us enjoyed our tasty food! Small, casual restaurant, make reservations! Warning: warm fresh baked bread served...try not to fill up before dinner! We'll be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherHappilyDiningVIPDined on 5/10/2014The place was packed, and it's incredibly loud..even in a booth it's hard to hear your companion. The service was very slow and it looks more like a small pizza parlor than nice restaurant. The tables are covered with plastic and you get cheap, paper napkins. Not what I expected at all. The food is good, but IMO that's only part of the equation, and the rest is lacking.
- Best in PastaLovetoeatVIPDined on 5/8/2014This is a local favorite of ours. We go here often. Very small so be sure to book a table or you'll be waiting awhile. Family run and everything is so fresh. They make a lot of their own pasta daily. I enjoy so many items on the menu and have never been disappointed. The flavors are so satisfying. Tried the meatballs on the side one nite and couldn't get enough, so yummy!!Special Features:
- Super Small Place with Quality FoodSueinCADined on 5/7/2014We had been searching for new pasta places and decided to give this a try on a recent Wednesday night. Food quality was very good. We had a house salad, which was good but nothing unique, Mushroom Agnolotti with meat sauce, Tagiatele with meat sauce and Meat Ravioli. The meat sauce was different from many I have tried, but I liked it. Probably our least favorite was the ravioli which was a bit al dente for our taste. The location is super small so tables are packed together with no privacy from the neighbors. A group of 10 was being seated next to us as we left, so we were glad to be going as it is very loud. Will definitely return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKeeksDined on 5/2/2014Made a reservation for 7:45 - got there and all the tables were full. The staff made a bunch of excuses for why they couldn't seat us. Finally, around 8:15 they sat us in the bar. We ordered a bottle of wine, that after 15 minutes, never arrived. Food was decent. Loaded with cheese and extremely greasy.Special Features:
- Great Date Night VenuesteelerVIPDined on 4/25/2014First time diner at this place but won't be the last. Very confortable setting, homey, warm and genuine. Food was very flavorful and fresh, place was welcoming and charming. Family run and it shows in the pride they take to make your evening special. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little Italian SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/15/2014The food here is fantastic! Small little hole-in-the-wall spot with a lot of character, and really tasty Italian food. My only complaint is that it is so small, and the place was packed, so it was a bit warm inside (and too cold to sit outside). It might be nice to see the place spruced up a bit.Special Features:
- great Italian foodsandyDined on 4/9/2014I've been to Pasteria now 3 times, and have had wonderful dinners all 3 times. A great selection of pastas, some standard and others unique experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodAnnonDined on 4/7/2014We really enjoyed our meals. The service was excellent. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic... Again!AnnaDined on 4/6/2014It was my second time at The Pastaria. We had a reservation and were seated right away. I had the special of the day: fettuccine with veal and mushrooms. The best mushroom creamy sauce I've ever had!! My husband had the puttanesca pasta, and loved as well. The pasta is very fresh and tasteful. Service was friendly and fast. I strongly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico!!!Miket52Dined on 4/4/2014I celebrated my birthday here with my family and everything was fabulous.....the food was out of this world, portions were over the top, flavors were outstanding, and the ambience was perfect.....mainly due to the wait staff, they were extraordinary!! Will definitely return and would recommend to everyone! Thank you Pastaria for an incredible and indelible dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding service and food.UrsulaDined on 4/1/2014outstanding service and food. The owner took time to talk to us and explain all the menu, highlight the specials and recommend the wine. She checked on the food and made sure we were satisfied with our order. The service was prompt, but we did not feel rushed. Great neighborhood eatery and excellent food with a good selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something has changedonlyfreshDined on 3/31/2014I've been impressed in the past with the sauces, hand made pastas and appetizers . the last two times I've been there something has changed. I brought a girl friend, she ordered the seafood pasta it was so salty we had to turn it back and she loves salt. My raviolis were great. Two months ago I brought a group of ten and not everyone had a great experience. Not all of the dishes were delicious. For once the noise level was low because we were only one of three other groups. No large groups. I used to rate this place a 5 star but now it's a 3. I felt as though the chef has changed, if not, the drive for perfection is gone. I will give it another try if they don't back to the wow I'll move on.Special Features:
- Good food and good service.ashiDined on 3/29/2014Good food and good service. While our server was cheerful, attentive and on top of her game the bus boy was in a big hurry to clear our unfinished plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite this side of ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2014This is my favorite Italian food outside of Italy. I drive an hour to enjoy their pasta vongole! I highly recommend The Pastaria. The only downside is it was so noisy Friday night that it was hard to carryon a conversation with four people in one of their boths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service/ Great Wine ListfoodiewithfoodiekidsDined on 3/27/2014We enjoyed the service by our waitress who was informative and gave wonderful recommendations for dinner. The wine list has very reasonable prices with unique choices, and local wineries on the menu. Family friendly, and I will bring our children next time!Special Features:
- Surprising FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014Great food and wine pairing. Everyone had a great time. Very personable and considerate staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night treat!LGdinersDined on 3/21/2014We've lived in Los Gatos for 12+ years and had never dined at The Pastaria until last Friday. It's tiny and always packed, so impossible to walk in. I never thought about it when I was making dinner reservations at one of the LG restaurants, until last week. I booked a Friday night reservation for my husband and college daughter home for spring break, and we had a fabulous meal and delightful evening. It's truly a neighborhood gem. A local pleasure that must be experienced by all Los Gatons. Pastas are fresh, creative and delicious. Yummy kale and fennel salad. Wine pours are very generous. Service attentive and friendly. Really a nice, cozy Italian evening. We'll definitely return many times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.