49 E Main Street
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepastaria.com/
- Phone: 4083993477
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-M 5:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: T-Th 5:00pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Devon Coen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Donna Novi 4082023960
A word from The Pastaria
When Donna and Paul first met, they discovered that they shared a common heritage: food-loving Italian families and grandfathers who were chefs. The result of their partnership is a rich collection of authentic family recipes passed down through generations. Raised on Baked Mostaccioli with Aurora sauce, Devon developed a taste for gourmet cuisine at a young age. He trained formally at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa so that he can carry on the family tradition of working as a chef.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
The Pastaria - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
The Pastaria reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (77)fit for foodies (50)romantic (23)notable wine list (20)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (7)great for lunch (4)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Always good Italian foodFoodMonsterDined on 10/18/2014Never had a bad meal here and the specials are usually great. It's a small place, not many tables. Sometimes you have to wait a bit as they generally have only 1 server, but they make sure to check in with you. The standard tiramisu here is probably the best in the area. Great place on a cold winter night. I wouldn't try it if your group is bigger than 5 people as there's just not that much elbow room. If you do tell them way in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this little place!Luv2dineOutDined on 10/17/2014We have been going here for a couple years now and we keep going back! The variety of pasta is like no other place I've been. The homemade gnocchi are to die for! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff was overhelemedKM4SJVIPDined on 10/12/2014We had an OpenTable reservation for 6:30pm on a Sunday evening but arrived 20 mins early. No problems - we informed and gave them a cell phone number and went for a walk. We were seated @ 6:40pm. We didn't get our entrees till 8:35pm - note that our party of 4 included 3 kids. The table next to us was seated 15 mins after we were and they received their food first. The staff was pleasant but they were just overwhelmed and confused. The food however, was awesome.Special Features:
- Great food...off night for serviceSFFdinerVIPDined on 10/12/2014Overall, enjoyed our food, when it finally arrived. Will probably go back again, but hopefully on a night where their service issues are resolved. The food... wonderful. Had the artichoke dip appetizer (loved it), Caesar salad (good), truffle mushroom agnolotti (rich and amazing) and tagliatelle with meat sauce (solid). Issues we had around service were... 1) Sat down quickly but waited almost 15 minutes for server to greet us, 2) Waited another 10 minutes for bread and drinks, 3) Waited another 20 minutes for appetizer (so we are at 45 minutes in before getting our first dish), 4) Salad came out quickly after appetizer but entrees took nearly another 30 minutes because the kitchen had to stop cooking and make ravioli (per our server).Special Features:
- MY ONLY ISSUE WAS:OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014LOVE THIS RESTAURANT BUT THE TABLE FOR TWO IS SO SMALL THAT PLATES AND GLASSES DO NOT EVEN FIT ON IT! I CAME WITH A FRIEND BUT I COULD NEVER COME WITH MY HUSBAND WITH A TABLE SO SMALL. HE WOULD NOT TOLERATE IT.Special Features:
- small dining spaceBarbGDined on 10/4/2014We were surprised to get here and see what a small venue this was, but we had a good time, and the food was great! I would definitely make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dave GDaveDined on 10/1/2014I have lived in Saratoga for 25 years and have driven by this restaurant probably 1000 times and had never tried it. Tried it last night and this is going on my list of great local places. The food was great...shared a kale & fennel salad and then I had the Pasta Primadonna...was great. Definitely make a reservation...we were there at 6:00 on a Wednesday and the restaurant was full.Special Features:
- Los Gatos gem!CoachDined on 9/28/2014Read a recent review that raved about The Pastaria and wanted to try it. We were not disappointed at all. Shared five different items: one starter, one salad, two entrees and one side. All were fantastic and we look forward to returning soon. From our window seat, we looked toward the hills of Los Gatos and the older buildings and could imagine ourselves in Italy. But this is a tiny restaurant, perhaps 30-35 seats. Be sure to have a reservation. Hope they begin serving lunch.Special Features:
- smileyDined on 9/19/2014Best homemade pasta in the south bay. The variety of pasta dishes are impressive. Friendly and helpful staff. Good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The Pastaria has excellent food. The pasta is home made and the sauces of the classic Italian dishes as well as unique dishes are very well made. We enjoy the mushroom and truffle flavored sauces for several different dishes and the lasagne is outstanding. I really look forward to coming here.Special Features:
- Delicious!lal1Dined on 9/12/2014It was a very warm night, and the restaurant is tiny, and no A/C. It became more comfortable as the night moved on. Food and service amazing. Everything was very fresh! Best restaurant tomatoes I've had! A little noisy, but great spot for dinner with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening in Los GatosFrogTravelerDined on 9/10/2014I found this little Italian restaurant by reading other people reviews. I wanted a nice restaurant in Los Gatos that was going to be off the beaten path and within a reasonable price range. The Pastaria is both. The corner restaurant is small so reservation is a must. Service was very helpful and friendly. Fast but not pressing which I liked. The food was very good. The heirloom tomatoes were delicious and the Seafood Linguine was one of the best I have had. The wine list is reasonably priced... I checked scenic view on the review because the restaurant is across the Bentley and Aston Martin dealership of Los Gatos. I have never seen so many Bentley's and Aston Martin's cramped in such a little place...Special Features:
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I really love the food which is always delicious but the service was extremely slow. We had made a reservation but table was unavailable. We had to wait 15-20 minutes before we had a server come over. We both came to celebrate our bdays both in sept. My friend was really hungry so waiting was not good and we both have been in the restaurant industry so we get being busy but she almost got up to see if someone would wait on us. Other tables who came in after us were wanted on 1st. The food is always good but don't come in really hungry or you will fill up in bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014What a great find. Very cozy with an authentic family owned feeling. Great service with even better food. The gorgonzola gnocci was to die for! Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodVivNealDined on 8/31/2014The pasta was exceptional and there are a lot of dishes to choose from. We love it--yes, it is small, but the food makes up for the tight dining area.Special Features:
- Cool little Italian joint.b8conDined on 8/29/2014If you're a foodie like my wife and I then you will love this little neighborhood gem. The small romantic venue is perfect for a date night for new couples or long married loves. The food is spectacular and we simply haven't been disappointed in the cuisine at The Pataria.Special Features:
- Nice Dinner OutDesdeVIPDined on 8/26/2014The place is cute. Small, not a lot of room for a big party. It seemed as though they were understaffed when we went, took the server at least 10-15 min to even acknowledge us. He was very apologetic for having us wait, it seemed as though he was the only server there. Apart from having to wait time to time it was a nice dinner. The food was excellent. I recommend a reservation, we went on a Tuesday and it was packed.Special Features:
- YummmmJlbdiner20Dined on 8/25/2014The kale salad and gnocchi skaldic via are fabulous! So is everything else and the servers are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fabulousgbtfromsjVIPDined on 8/23/2014What a great little Italian place on the edge of LG downtown. Excellent food and great service in a very cozy little place. I was very impressed by the reasonable prices on the wine list, we had a nice Nebbiolo for $40 which is unheard of LG. Really fresh ingredients and perfect sized portion. The ariabetta gnocchi special was perfect and we paired it with the Fruitti De Mare and had a great dinner. One note to previous reviews: outdoor seating here is not for real, its 2 tiny round tops.Special Features:
- Highly recommended!SirishDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I had several of our friends highly recommend the Pastaria so we weren't surprised that it was good, but the food was even better than we imagined. I had the black truffle chicken pasta and my wife had the Gnocchi special, which was stuffed with house made ricotta cheese. Both were so good that it will be difficult to venture away from those dishes. The service was also amazing -- from the host to the servers to the bus staff. The place is pretty small and cozy so I would definitely recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Always deliciousZebragirlVIPDined on 8/22/2014I have been going to the Pastaria for years and it is consistently great. I love the relaxed vibe and the friendly neighborhood feel. The menu always has amazing specials, the only problem I have is deciding which to get. You can not go wrong here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014every time we go the food and services is great. we keep returning. It's a quiet neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Simply delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Delicious food coupled with comfortable service. I love my neighborhood pasteria.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceMattKDined on 8/10/2014Definitely enjoyed the meal. Every dish looked and tasted like it was hand crafted. But the service was quite slow. Waited an inordinate amount of time for the waitress to introduce herself and take a drink order. Waited a long time for the first course and an equally long time for the second. Had to wave her down to get the check too. Other than that, a very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a level ....RayrayfromNLDined on 8/10/2014We are experienced travelers, both business- and leisure, and have visited many Italian restauarants around the world, incl.Italy. This one is for sure in our TOP 3 of memories, quality and taste of food is realy pure and superb level. Cosy and small restaurant with energetic service-level. They really care about their customers.Special Features:
- Like being in ItalyFoodFanDined on 8/10/2014The Pastaria is a journey to Italy. The smaller sized room and the freshly made pasta are wonderful reminders of the intimate restaurants in Tuscany. Of course, come for the food. Our party of four ordered unique dishes and everyone seemed very happy. So order what sounds good to the stomach, it probably won't mislead you! =Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love outside table when dining sologoodNhealthyDined on 8/7/2014taking into consideration there are approximately 7 italian restaurants within 2 miles here in downtown los gatos...and that i love living 'walking distance': when i want to go out to get my 'italian' fix:La Pastaria is my 1st choice. Seeking reservations on line makes it soo much easier... i absolutely love the low key dining experience when i am at la pastaria, not to mention the ability to sit outside and enjoy the surroundings..to 'relax' with a glass of wine, while i await my oh soo delicious pasta (usually the primavera)...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh and quaintscarlettosarahVIPDined on 8/5/2014Wonderful atmosphere, feels like a cozy neighborhood cafe. Fresh made pasta dishes were excellent. One of the imported pasta entrees tasted a bit gummy, but that may have been because they brought it out before we finished appetizers, so it sat staying warm. Lots of vegetarian choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Authentic Italian FoodSpikermikeVIPDined on 7/27/2014This restaurant was a good choice in the Dana Point area. Had a good selection on the menu and the food was very good. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding quality Italian foodFirsttimerDined on 7/26/2014First time diners here. Loved it! Our best Italian find around so far. Very high quality food, good portions, lots of options. Classic Italian options but also some nice nuances and ones that aren't always available. Small dining area so reservations are recommended. Adequate wine list. We'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- Amazing!JennyDined on 7/20/2014Made a last minute reservation for a sunday night...the place was packed! Westin was our server and he provided us with great service from beginning to end. Gnocchi are a must have. We will be back!!!!!Special Features:
- Short-staffed and Over-saucedMisterSeriousVIPDined on 7/20/2014On a recent Sunday night they seemed understaffed with a single server, single bus dude and the manager trying to handle all the tables. The restaurant isn't that large but on Sunday concert in the park days, it gets completely full with many customers with kids who expect fast service and rapid table turns. Table spacing is very close. There is no air conditioning and they leave the front door open on summer nights. Decor is simple. The food is almost all pasta combinations. Dishes tend to be over-sauced in my opinion. I had a serious pasta coma afterward!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pastaria is wonderful!JayceeVIPDined on 7/20/2014Great dinner, flavorful, great presentation, exciting menu, plentiful salad portions, congenial, accommodating staff. Introduced our friend to this great restaurant we have enjoyed over the years. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodAnotherunhappydinerDined on 7/19/2014Good food. Good service. Honored reservation on time....it's a place we will return toSpecial Features:
- Authentic Italian!StephVIPDined on 7/18/2014Some of the best fresh pasta we have ever had, and we have been to Italy a few times! Especially love the pesto dish! Truly a gem!Special Features:
- Gnocchi. I'm happyrwarkovVIPDined on 7/16/2014House made and delicous. Donna and Paul have done a wonderful job since they opened in '96. Consistently good food at fair prices. Very nice wine list too.Special Features:
- CindyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Service was horrible. 20 minutes to take our order. 20 minutes until the salad showed up. Thank God for the bus boy.
- What a little gemNYCgalDined on 7/3/2014This place is great. It is tiny with only 10 tables so that you have to wait if you don't have a reservation. The food is Italian but with an eclectic touch. Everything is fresh and made to order. I had the shaved fennel and kale salad and then penne with wax beans and arugula. Another had the gnocchi with meatballs. Delicious. Wines are reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 60 reviews are from the The Pastaria reviews archive.
- OK but not greatAhkenbertDined on 6/23/2014Food was ok. Pasta did not taste like and had the mouth feel of fresh pasta, possibly over cooked. It was Monday. Restaurant was not busy but service was slow. Server took order without writing them down. Sure enough the appetizers were forgotten.Special Features:
- YumBonnieDined on 6/19/2014We actually were surprised at how much we enjoyed our evening at La Pastaria. We live in the neighborhood and the food has always been great but the service....not so much. Well this particular night, the stars aligned and both the service and the food were perfect. If you go, just manage your expectations that the service may lag or.....you may hit it right as we did the other night!Special Features: