807 Taft Street
Houston, TX 77019Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.passandprovisions.com/
- Phone: 7136289020x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, American, International
- Executive Chef: Terrence Gallivan & Seth Siegel-Gardner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Jackie DeMoss/ firstname.lastname@example.org 7136289020
A word from The Pass
Bringing the essence of the kitchen to each table, chefs will serve, describe and answer diner's questions, creating an authentic experience for each customer while placing emphasis on the process behind transitioning food to plate. Similar to dining at a chef's table, diners will be able to connect with the local and global inspiration and experience of each chef and behind every dish, in an upscale, casually elegant atmosphere, complimented by a thoughtful international wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Pass - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Montrose ›
The Pass reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)special occasion (71)romantic (51)notable wine list (43)hot spot (20)neighborhood gem (10)vibrant bar scene (6)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good dinner, imaginative menuTravelerReviewVIPDined on 10/29/2014Good dinner, not great. Four dessert courses seemed like one to two too many. For the price another protein would have been appropriate. The beet, beef and foils gras dishes were the best!Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014I have been going to The Provisions regularly and have been trying to find the perfect time to go to The Pass. I am so happy that the food exceeded all expectation and the service was wonderful. They were so accommodating even though we were the last customers in and out. I will definitely visit much much sooner and I hope this establishment continues on for many many seasons.Special Features:
- Dining experience of noteSallysavDined on 10/25/2014This truly is a special dining experience with every detail covered in a thoughtful and intelligent manner. Menu highlights for me include the foie gras, beef ribeye, bouillabaise and the sweet potato!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont try Veg/vegan menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014This was to celebrate my wife's birthday. We tried the vegan menu (although I am a vegetarian -dairy/eggs OK). It was not worth the $95 price for the 8 course esp for a no meat dishes. My wife tried the 5 course and she felt the same. Out of my 8 - 3 of them were quite bad (Cucumber, fernet? - crunchy, Smoked Lobster). The portions are way too small esp. ( been to other tasting menu restaurants where the food is adequate). Too much liquid nitrogen gimmick. The drink prices reasonable. I didn't order the drink pairings- just off the drinks menu The chef is trying really hard but comes up way short on price/performance. My advice is to have a 5 course with larger portions for vegan menu and also reduce the price. Very Dissatisfied.Special Features:
- AmazingBFBenDined on 10/23/2014The food was excellent; overall it was a unique experience. I ordered the 8-course menu, and my date had the 5-course. With 8 courses, it's unlikely that I would LOVE all of them, but I even enjoyed the beets (which surprised me, based on my history of disliking beets). Naturally every course appeared to be small, but we both left the table feeling stuffed. It was a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodie findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2014My wife and I was visiting Houston and found the pass on yelp. The food read very good. I rarely give 5 stars although this is close. I will update my rating after another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EARDRomeroeuDined on 10/22/2014We love relaxed and elegant feel of this restaurant – like a comfortable dining room. We definitely would return to try new dishes. It was friendly for vegan people and the rest of us. Wine list is perfect for the food.Special Features:
- sandiDined on 10/21/2014We arrived at 6:15 and were finished at 10:15. The food was sparce, the service was inattentive and we all left hungry. The cost was $680 (before tip) for four of us. Very disappointed.
- really good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/17/2014The Pass is truly a place to go for good food and a great atmosphere. We had the 8 course tasting menu. All the dishes are nicely presented. Some dishes are better than other with some being just good and others really, really good. The wine pairings were nice, but without reaching an unforgettable level. The service in the beginning was a bit slow and lacking, but it picked up to a good level.Special Features:
- beautiful experienceSisterSarahDined on 10/17/2014It's a wonderful experience. The food is presented wonderfully, expert staff makes this a place to enjoy. While every dish may not be for me, I love trying new things and am always surprised by something I never would have thought of that wow's me. Carbonated grapes and a lovely scotch cocktail were outstanding but nothing was disappointing.Special Features:
- A pleasure as expectedwonderfullybalancedDined on 10/16/2014I had a great evening with a friend. The eight course meal came with an additional interjection and some coffee cake to take home for the morning. There were even some carbonated grapes (shocking to enjoy, and extremely interesting). Service was incredibly balanced between attentive and casual, not that there was anything cavalier about it. Experts all around. The food stretched my understanding of what I liked without scaring me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing...as alwaysDerrickVIPDined on 9/26/2014We brought a group with us this time and they were all blown away! We talk about this place all the time and get there as often as possible. The service is stellar, the food is simply amazing and the atmosphere is perfect! By far my favorite restaurant in Houston right now.Special Features:
- Best dining experience in HoustonAlwaysgoodVIPDined on 9/26/2014From the minute you walk pass the cool entry door you feel you have stepped into a different world and it is a fabulous one. The menu consists of a 5 or 8 course tasting menu of small but the most unique and flavorful combinations I have ever had. The service is over the top. Attentive but not rushed. I hope this restaurant makes it here. I have already booked my upcoming birthday dinner for The Pass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissappointed2foodiesVIPDined on 9/23/2014We love trying new restaurants all over the world and were really looking forward to this one. The Champagne cart is a great start but the food was just not good. Ever had bouillabaise without broth? There was a smear of something in the bottom of the bowl with a morsel of octopus and a mussel. It seemed to be the night to garnish much of the food with items frozen using liquid nitrogen. The only thing wonderful was the Egg Corn/Mexican Truffle. All food is artfully arranged and interesting to the eye. Tasting menus are usually so much fun but other than the presentation and atmosphere, there is nothing I may recommend.Special Features:
- Great for Special Occasionssytx05Dined on 9/19/2014Took my gf here for here birthday and we had an amazing time. Food, wine and service were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripoutoftownerDined on 9/19/2014Reserved at the Pass on recommendation of another restaurant, closed during the time we were to be in town. Both the vegetarian and carnivore menus were outstanding. Go early so you have time to really enjoy the experience before the dining room gets too noisy.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in HoustonHemitheoDined on 9/17/2014Fine dining in Houston is synonymous with having an attitude without the food to match it. This is the exception. Pass is not just the best restaurant in Houston. It would be just as great in NY.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experienceFantasticDined on 9/12/2014We had a great 8 course meal at the pass! Loved it all - great tastes, great pairings, great service. Expensive but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- experience The PassafoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was my fourth time to dine at The Pass. The design of the space and visual of the food create an atmosphere of intrigue and anticipation for an outstanding meal! Unfortunately, the taste of the food was a let down. The first course was delightful; the next three courses were beautifully presented but mediocre in flavor. The tomato/dessert course was delicious. I have a major sweet tooth--how excited I was to be offered a plate of beautiful petit fours at the end of the meal. Oops--they were not edible! I will continue to dine at Provisions for some outstanding food and hope that when I return for the new Fall menu at The Pass the flavor will match the beauty of the presentation.Special Features:
- Always Awesome1constantdinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is the best restaurant in Houston period. The food is innovative and delicious. The mix of delicate tastes, textures and colors is truly special. Great wine pairings, awesome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAgsmacDined on 9/4/2014Great meal and service. A very unique experience. They made our wedding anniversary very special. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- A foodie's dreamRadiusFoodieDined on 8/30/2014The most creative, inspired cuisine I've had in ages! Fixed menu. 5 or 8 course offerings. Wine or cocktail pairings for each course. I had the wine pairings, and they were utter genius. Come hungry for the 8-course option. 5 courses would be fine for a normal sized meal. Really inventive and palette-pleasing dishes all around. Excellent dining option for a special night. (It's pricey, so check the website before making a reservation.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best restaurant in Houston !RuskAliVIPDined on 8/29/2014If your preferrences in life gravitate towards quality and not quantity . This is the place !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingjmazharDined on 8/27/2014We went for a 6 pm reservation and we're seated promptly. Loved the way the door to the main dining hall opened. We were seated right in front of the kitchen and that had customized the menus for our special occasion. The night started off right and kept getting better. We were so pleasantly full by the 8th course that our server had to bag the petit fours for us. The pairings were amazing and resulted in just the right buzz by the end of our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherTabletimeDined on 8/26/2014Was looking forward to the restaurant after all of the hype, but the food was so-so and the service was horrible--pretentious and slow.
- For the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014This was a great experience however I am not sure it is worth the price. I would go back for the wine tasting alone but felt the food was only mediocre. Nothing "wowed" me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsAnnaEDined on 8/21/2014Great food & service. Expensive, but worth the experience. I loved that they did not rush us one bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingyibingsmomDined on 8/20/2014The Pass is amazing. This is a great place to celebrate a special occasion. The food is fantastic. The service is the best I have had at any restaurant. The presentation if the food us beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014The sommelier was outstanding and the staff so friendly, the food was unbelievably creative and delisssh.Special Features:
- Just suberbJockDocVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had eaten at Provisions before and not been all that happy, but wanted to try the tasting menu. From the very start, we felt welcomed and comfortable - the VERY cool entrance door was VERY cool. Every course was interesting, with a good mix of "wow, that's interesting" and "Whoa, that's really good". Unfortunately the very last course (the cheese "ice cream sandwich") was the least good of the entire night, so if we had a short attention span, we'd downrate the entire meal. Fortunately for the chefs, we recall the earlier, fantastic courses, the most notable being the Foie Gras with grapes and brioche, and gave the full 5 stars. We had the wine pairing with the 8 courses so it was definitely a pricey evening. Well worth it!Special Features:
- The Pass is the Real DealOpenTableDinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014The Pass is the Real Deal... It's one of the best restaurants in Houston and certainly the best at what it does. We had the eight course dinner with wine pairings. Wow! Truly delicious. The standouts were the Foie Gras and the Pork Spareib but every dish was amazing. The wine pairings were perfect as well. The staff is knowledgeable and the dining room is modern and comfortable. It's great to watch the masters in the kitchen do what they do. Run to the Pass!Special Features:
- ImpressiveTexasEricSVIPDined on 8/9/2014Very impressed with the place. I enjoyed my dinner more than Le Bernardin in NYC a few months back.Special Features:
- Not the sameTexasVIPDined on 8/9/2014Food is FAR below what we have had in the past. Wine pairing was not up to par. We have been here about 6 times - the last two have been VERY disappointing. We will not be back...
- Wonderful food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014We had the eight course menu with wine and cocktail pairings. The food was phenomenal and I loved that the wait staff really knew the food and drinks and explained the dishes and pairings. The presentation was beautiful as well.Special Features:
- ReignflowerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Yet another outstanding dinner at 'The Pass'. The service was exemplary, the food cutting edge and the wine pairings novel and excellent. Don't even consider going if you are a picky eater, but for foodies this place is a gem.Special Features:
- Could have been better.YomYomDined on 8/2/2014The food was not worth the price. The Foie Gras and Pork Spare Ribs were the only notable dishes. Everything else was mediocre. Also, all the pastry items were hard and crumbly. I had a better tasting menu experience at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun.Special Features:
- Best place in town!RobbyDined on 8/1/2014This was a real great evening and a gem in Town. Quality of food was perfect, service was super and nice place to celebrate a special event. It would be great if they could reduce the noise the Aircon is generating.... very annoying if you would like to enjoy the best food in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great--not excellentNadnerb121Dined on 7/29/2014I opted for the 8 course over the 5 to get the full experience. This was an unfortunate call, because the 3 additional items (scallop, foie gras, and ice cream sandwich) not only lacked quality when compared to the rest of the meal, but were objectively mediocre. Fortunately, the 5 main dishes (eggplant, egg, boulliabase, spare rib, and cake) were excellent. Drinks were hit and miss. Rabbit hole and Mezcal/Chartreuse drinks were the faves Overall service was good, but the spacing between courses was odd--sometimes 3-5 minutes but at one point we had an over 25 minute wait. Sommelier was also overly pushy on drinks, but that likely comes down to personal preference. Ambience was great. Would possibly go back, but only for the 5 course.Special Features:
- Loved itAmandaDined on 7/29/2014The Pass was great. Each course was a small work of art and all were amazing and delicious. Some a surprise! The experience was a good deal of fun, and very memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molecular GastronomyTexasYankeeDined on 7/26/2014The Pass has an innovative menu complete with foam, liquid nitrogen-frozen ingredients, and foods masquerading as other foods. The price paid for that innovation in this case is that the flavor of the dishes do not quite match the level delivered by more traditional peers, or even the best MG-themed establishments. Make no mistake, The Pass food is good- it just isn't great. However, when you consider the very creative menu, beautiful presentation, absolutely great service, excellent wine / cocktail pairings, and a cool atmosphere, it still makes for a good deal overall and is worth a try.Special Features: