The Parlour Gastropub
101 Wellington Street
Stratford, ON N5A2L4Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
The Parlour Gastropub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://theparlour.ca/
- Phone: (519) 271-2772
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am, Saturday & Sunday: 8:30am - 10:30am
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, International
- Executive Chef: Max Holbrook
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: If you are not already familiar with us, we are a 240 seat, historic restaurant in downtown Stratford, 1 block from the Avon. We have lots of free, easily accessible parking. Our dining room consists of beautiful woodwork and stained glass, reminiscent of the 1800's when the building was originally built. We have a number of private dining rooms available for groups of 20 to 100 people.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms available for groups of 2 to 100 people (rental charges may apply)
- Private Party Contact: Randy Simpson 5192712772x
A word from The Parlour Gastropub
For over 30 years the Parlour has been a dining favourite of visitors and residents alike. We offer an inviting atmosphere with innovative twists on classic fare that stress quality and freshness with every recipe and every ingredient. We also offer a relaxed lounge and patio to compliment your dining experience. Open 7 days a week year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerInternational
The Parlour Gastropub - Best Restaurants in Stratford ›
The Parlour Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)neighborhood gem (27)great for lunch (22)good for groups (22)fit for foodies (20)romantic (16)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great place to eatFreddyDined on 11/22/2014We have eaten here many times and have never been disappointed. The food is excellent and very reasonably priced for the quality and quantity of food you receive. The service is always top-notch and friendly. It is always a good idea to reserve ahead because this can be very busy restaurant for evening dining, especially during the summer months when the theater is on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memory maker!GrammaDined on 11/15/2014We were celebrating our daughter-in-laws birthday so Stratford is a central location coming from Burlington and Goderich. We usually go to Fellinis but have found it so loud and crowded lately. We discovered the Parlour during the summer. The food was great so we chose it for our family of 8 celebration spot. We got there early so it was nice and quiet. We so appreciated the special touch of dessert for our birthday celebration. Thank you for contributing to another Wilkie family celebration. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SammDined on 11/11/2014Charming setting and excellent food. Warm and inviting atmosphere - very peaceful.Special Features:
- Service was horrificElissa08Dined on 10/19/2014Our experience at Parlour was half-fast. Two of us arrived early (11:30 a.m. for a 12 noon reservation) from out of town. We were told by our server our table was being set up. I at that point brought a birthday cake and asked for it to be stored in the kitchen until we were ready to eat it. We waited for 40 mins at the bar for our table (there were maybe 4 tables occupied in the entire huge restaurant), while the rest of our group arrived (6 of us total) and finally at 12:10 we were seated at a table near the window. When we were seated I told the server we were going to the 2 p.m. show at festival and we needed to leave by 1:30. We were late for show because of her even though we told her in advance we had to go by 1:30.
- ExcellentRocomDined on 10/18/2014We had a 6:00 pre-show reservation and enjoyed an unhurried, classy dinner with very sympathetic and sharp service. Food was excellent. I could imagine a more ambitious wine list, but our Californian Pinot Noir was memorable. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star from the groupGreatplace2meetDined on 10/17/2014My group of 7 loved the Parlour Gastropub. We enjoyed supper after a matinee at the Stratford Festival. The service was excellent. Our waitress was kept busy as the restaurant was full and she did a great job. Very experienced and professional. The entrees were delicious With an attractive presentation. The building itself has an interesting history and a very sophisticated decor. All in all a very enjoyable and memorable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Location and excellent food..WoodyDined on 10/14/2014This was our second visit to The Parlour this theatre season. It is great before or after a show at the Stratford festival. The food is great as well as the service. There was no problem making adjustments to the meal ingredients due to allergies and sensitivities. We definitely would return if we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichiganderDined on 10/11/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in Stratford. We only go in the evening after the theater crowd has moved on, otherwise it is too busy and intense. The service and food have always been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice downtown findRaftwreckerDined on 10/11/2014This was our second visit to The Parlour. Both times we came to see a play for our wedding anniversary. We discovered The Parlour on our first visit two years ago. It is very close to the Avon theatre and we enjoyed our meal. The Parlour is upscale pub like in setting and we were seated at a window overlooking the street. Even though the restaurant is quite open there is not a lot of noise and one can easily carry on a conversation. The Parlour has a fine selection of food and drinks. We had an 8 ounce prime rib and pan fried salmon on a bed of liguine, both were very tasty and filling. I also tried their squash soup, it was to die for. I would recommend The Parlour to friends and I well continue to consider it when I am in Stratford.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a it too spicyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014We ordered a dish that was much spicier than anticipated- the restaurant was very accommodating and a second plate was served relatively quickly. Our issue was the waitress who spent WAY TOO MUCH time chatting about her life with other guests...loudly and to the point where we and others were neglected. So hence the 3. But I was aware that people did enjoy their food and experience- so I would still recommend the restaurant....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening interludeamen2thatDined on 10/3/2014Great plays at the Stratford Theatre and great food at The Parlour made up for the rainy weather! From the decor to the small intimate rooms which left you feeling like you were in a small private restaurant to the great food and fabulous service... well The Parlour just had it all! Specially loved the beet salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceSamueai905Dined on 10/1/2014The prime rib was incredible and it was nice to get a vegetable that wasn't broccoli and zucchini. The only problem was not with the restaurant and staff but a couple that had their cellphones up full volume and getting text messages all evening. It didn't help that even with the volume up full they still couldn't here it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time had by allCalGalDined on 9/30/2014My sister and good friend and I enjoyed a great meal before we saw Hay Fever at the Avon. A good portion of the fun was due to the wonderful waitperson Emily. My sister had a burger (we should have asked Emily for it to be a bit rarer) my steak was near perfect and my friend had the ravioli. Having spent most of my life in California I'm quite the wine snob when it comes to Ontario vintages but the merlot we sampled was quite quaffable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Sat for one and a half hours with no service at all. Would not recommend this restaurant. Absolutely terrible.
- An excellent choice.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014A vintage setting with a varied menu and wine list. Location was accessible and the wait staff that served us was excellent. Looking forward to a return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndiAndiDined on 9/25/2014Their Pavlova is a MUST. Delicious entres and superb service.Special Features:
- Great Food, Horrible WaitressMrAverageJoeDined on 9/20/2014NOT told the soup or the dinners of the day and had to ask at the 3rd visit. Got an ice tea, waitress was to bring sugar on the side. She didn't, and had to be specifically asked. Had the wrong plates delivered to our table. One removed, one left. 20 minutes later, the other plates came. Didn't eat together. Gravy on the side was forgot. After asking, it showed up halfway through meal. Waited 45 minutes AFTER our cold appetizers to get our entree's. Four other tables that arrived after us got fully served. (same meals too) Other tables got plates of bread and butter. We didn't. We had to ask for drink refill's. Online reservation, asked for a booth. We got taken to a table, then smaller table with a half bench and 2 chairs. No booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really captivated everyone1750spiderVIPDined on 9/18/2014Six of us dined together between theatre performances mid-week, and everyone thought it was a great choice. Good table, wide menu, and really pleasant waitstaff. The food, appetizers and mains, surpassed everyone's expectations, raising the bar for next time!! We saved desserts for "next time" but all that passed by the table look really good! It ranks high on the 'must go' list for the group's next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Parlour Great Before a Showdroberts33Dined on 9/13/2014We've been to the Parlour in Stratford many times before performances in Stratford, Ontario, and it's always been an enjoyable time. The food is great and not too expensive, and the service is great too.Special Features:
- 42 Wedding Ann.GolfnutDined on 9/9/2014I chose this place for a celebration, for my wife and I. We had an early supper before going to the 8 pm Stratford show, Crazy for You. We had no trouble parking and setting and food were just what we wanted. Best Ceasar Salad I have tasted in a long time . We hope to return on our next trip to Stratford, from Guelph.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PavlovahappystomachDined on 8/30/2014Overall outstanding in every way from the simple burgers all the way up the food menu to the ambiance, and to the friendly and charming wait staff. If you are a frequent Stratford goer or going for the first time try the Parlour once and I'm certain it will become one of your must restaurants. A word of advice. It is absolutely essential that you leave room for the melt in your mouth Pavlova.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but needs more vegetarianFrenchieDined on 8/29/2014This was our first visit there, dining - as were many - prior to a show. The service was attentive and friendly, and the food - while not knock-your-socks-off great - was enjoyable. Our only complaint was the limited number of vegetarian options. There was one on the menu (a mushroom ravioli), and a vegetarian special that we had to ask about (note to restaurant: your servers should be instructed to disclose the vegetarian special while also presenting the regular specials, since even non-vegetarians might be interested in it). Otherwise a very pleasant experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GlobetrotterDined on 8/23/2014My daughter and I chose the restaurant for dinner after a show. Although we arrived later than the time I'made the reservation, they kept our table and made us feel welcome. The service was slow but the food was excellent! A nice touch would be some soft music in the dining room.Special Features:
- Cozy. Very cozyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014Good food and we experienced great service pre-theatre. However the density of seating means you can't have a private conversation here. There's some nice creativity in the food, though personally I think nouvelle is, well, passé. I had dessert because I was still hungry. I think you can be creative and still provide some value by nourishing diners before a 3-hour theatrical siege. The play was fantastic.Special Features:
- DisappointingSea111Dined on 8/17/2014The building has been nicely restored, and it's located in a central part of Stratford (close to shops and the Avon Theatre). Another bonus is free parking. The food/service, on the other hand, could have been better. To start, we ordered the soup of the day. Another type of soup was mistakenly delivered to the table, and then we were told that our soup was no longer available. We then ordered a chopped salad, which was poor quality (it seems that all processed meat and iceberg lettuce was served). The main course, prime rib, was served lukewarm with so-so mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Great food, terrific serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed our pre-theatre dinner at this very nice restaurant. We ordered the daily special (prime rib) and it was served very quickly. Very tasty, presented nicely. We also very much enjoyed delectable desserts. Service was terrific - personable wait staff, appropriate attention. The restaurant was busy with the theatre crowd and they managed traffic and food serving very well.Special Features:
- Change is not always betterFoodloverDined on 8/10/2014Have always loved this restaurant and make a point to dine there when in Stratford. On our recent visit all three of us did not enjoy our meal. The menu had changed dropping old favourites like fish and chips. My companions ordered the lamb curry that came in an unseasoned tomato sauce and no curry. I ordered a pasta dish that was swimming in oil and filled with bits of eggs making it terribly unappetizing to look at as well as eat. Even the coffee was bitter. I liked our waitress but she was completely indifferent to our complaints about the food and the restaurant offered no response. It was so disappointing. Given my past good experience with this restaurant it is worth giving it a second chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First on my list next timeKm32Dined on 8/1/2014Next time I'm in town this will be my first choice. Food was good and creative (curried potatoes--yummy, and with a bit of a kick) with pork loin. We were there a bit early for diner, so it was quiet, but as it got more full it seemed to still be an environment where one can hear table conversation without straining. Location is convenient.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not as good as it wasCleoVIPDined on 7/31/2014Usually have at least 1 meal here while staying at the hotel. This time we noticed a distinct drop in quality. Miss the Reuben which is off the menu so tried the spinach soup, which was nothing special and the frisee salad with roasted pears and blue cheese dressing. Had to request extra dressing as there was barely any on the salad. Husband ordered the Cuban sandwich, but it was bland. One morning he ordered yogurt and berries and was served a bowl with just one berry. After pointing out the menu says berries he was given granola and berries to go with the yogurt. A little heavier than he wanted, but didn't want to make a fuss. Vintages hotel chain has recently purchased the hotel, surprised that it wasn't as good as before.
- The following 135 reviews are from the The Parlour Gastropub reviews archive.
- Before theatre dinnerDinerfromLondonDined on 7/29/2014We had a group of 8 for dinner here before attending a show. Everyone was very pleased with their meals. The menu had a good selection. The only drawback was the service. I think since we were a larger table our waitress was stuck with us, but did not appear to have any other tables in our area, so we went a long time between seeing her. I think it took her 15 minutes to bring a bottle of wine! I just think she was too busy, she tried very hard, but was very rushed.Special Features:
- Enjoyable dinnerWeWouldGoBackDined on 7/28/2014My wife and I had hit the escape button for a couple of days. Our dinner at the Parlour was a very positive experience and met our hopes for the evening. I had the Prime Rib, my wife the Pork Loin. Both of us finished our plates. The kitchen kindly split the Caesar salad for us and provided two spoons for the Pavlova which disappeared much too quickly.Special Features:
- Great Place - one of the best.FreddyDined on 7/27/2014This is a great place to dine for any occasion. The food is top notch and the service and atmosphere is well above your family restaurant environment. We have eaten here several times for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. and have never been disappointed. Highly recommend this restaurant to anyone. You will not go away hungry or disappointed in any way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the Parlour GastopubWinnifriedDined on 7/27/2014My dinner had to be sent back (Bangers and Mash) as the Lamb sausage was burnt and the mashed potatoes tasted awful due to the huge dollop of flavoured mustard dumped on top. My replacement dish, the Mussels in Chipotle cream sauce was good. My daughter ordered the club sandwich, she could not eat the chicken (turkey?) breast in the sandwich as it was very dry. The dessert was good. (Pavlova)Special Features:
- Fabulous dessertpdb62Dined on 7/26/2014If you have a sweet tooth, the pavlova dessert is delicious -- light as air baked meringue, served with fresh whipped cream, almonds, and both a lemon and raspberry sauce. The main courses I've tried over the years (this is our 22nd year of attending the Stratford Festival) range from very good to ok. I like the maple glazed port loin. The fish part of "fish and chips" is good, but the fries always seem to be soggy. I've enjoyed the prime rib and Yorkshire pudding. To be honest though, the main reason why we dine here every year is for the Pavlova.Special Features:
- WonderfuljantarDined on 7/19/2014I absolutely love the Parlour. It was my boyfriends first time going and I had been ranting about this restaurant for a while. We had a lovely time and the food was exquiste. Our server Steve was phenomenal, personable and very polite when it came to us asking for certain things to be brought to the table. We will be recommending the Parlour to our friends and family. Thank you for a delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!ComeintotheParlourDined on 7/17/2014Had dinner at the Parlour on Thursday July 17 before going off to the theatre. Our fish and chips were great, the batter was really crunchy. And then my friend and I splurged and shared the famous pavlova dessert. Out of this world! And then we had breakfast on Friday morning and were equally as happy with our meal. We will be back .....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner between Theatre eventsBautzenerDined on 7/17/2014Each time we go to theatre in Stratford, we reserve at The Parlour Gastropub for dinner. We have never been disappointed in the food or the service. The selection is varied especially for the celiac among our group who needs gluten-free food. The wines and beers are wonderful. We also never miss out on the Pavlova dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ray CandlerArcan99Dined on 7/16/2014Have been dining here since you opened in ?.. We lived in Stratford at the time, now in Brantford. We make yearly visits to the festival and ALWAYS make it to the Parlour at least once. Have introduce friends to the Pub and have never been disappointed with food or service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait was unacceptableTravel2by2Dined on 7/15/2014We arrived at 5:45 pm, one hour and 15 minutes after dinner service began. When I ordered the chicken special I was informed by our waitress that they were already sold out! How can they be out of a special 75 minutes after opening? I switched to a substitute chicken dinner and my wife ordered the pork tenderloin. It was now 6:00. We waited and waited and waited and......over an hour! Our waitress was no where in sight nor was the manager. Finally at 7:10 our meals arrived. No apology or comment at all about the long wait or lack of attention. When we asked about the wait, we were told it was just a little busy. The food was ok, but nothing special. The manager finally arrived and offered to comp us $20 which didn't make up for the wait.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014A most pleasant dining experience. The décor reminds one of your own 'parlour; so you do feel quite at home. Staff is friendly, efficient & helpful. Will look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.