840 S. Spring Street
Los Angeles, CA 90014Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theparishla.com/
- Phone: 2132252400x
- Hours of Operation:
Sun - Wed: 5:30 pm - 11 pm
Thur - Sat. 5:30 pm - 12 am
Daily 5 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
currently we are not serving lunch, but are available for private bookings
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Casey Lane
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Parish
The Parish is a Los Angeles twist on an English gastropub: Food that will make you drink, and drink that will make you eat, alongside an atmosphere that pairs quality with enjoyment, and a new friend with your old. We invite you to our gastro-inspired bar with a beer program as carefully selected and locally sourced as the ingredients that drive our dishes, and food as compelling as our spirit driven cocktails. From glasses to plates the task of curation has rarely been done with more diligence, our work has become your success. Please be our guest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Parish reviews from OpenTable diners
- A great downtown findbeignetDined on 9/29/2013We picked this restaurant based on its location to the Staples Center. Our food arrived promptly & was very good. We had two of their signature cocktails which were delicious, well priced & quite nice to look at. They took a bit of time, but we understood since they were more involved than just adding alcohol & a mixer to a glass. We started off with the seasonal vegetable salad & fried artichokes. Both were excellent & we would order again. My friend had their fried chicken which was slightly spicy with a very crispy crust. The chicken didn't disappoint. It was juicy and full of flavor. I had the tomahawk pork chop. It was good, but I wasn't blown away. It was a tad dry & under seasoned. Overall we enjoyed the experience & will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food -- make the timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/25/2013We love this place -- It's got that essential downtown feel of refined grittiness -- the perfect intimate gastro-pub and the food is innovative and delicious, as are the drinks -- all fresh ingredients -- your mouth will thank you. The only small complaint is that both drinks and food take a while. My advice is to order drinks as promptly as you can and then peruse the food offerings (someone at our table always gets the burger - yum!).Special Features:
- So disappointing!alwaysgr8VIPDined on 9/24/2013We have been going to Parish for several months and have enjoyed it. The problem: the service is horribly inconsistent. The food is excellent but the service can be so amateurish and annoying. Don't know if we will return since we have so many other excellent restaurants downtown to choose from. Tonight's service was particularly annoying and we chose to leave after our cocktails! We need a break from Parish.
- Everything that is fun aboutLAExplorerDined on 9/22/2013Everything that is fun about an emerging downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menuVeggieluvVIPDined on 9/22/2013Im not a vegetarian, but the veggie dishes I tried here were delish, especially the warm corn salad. We were having a light before-theater bite, so can't vouch for the larger plates, but anxious to return and try more of the menu.Special Features:
- Energetic and great vibe -downtowninlaVIPDined on 9/20/2013Energetic and great vibe - appetizers good but entrees didn't meet our expectations. Maybe a little more attention to the quality of cooking rather that the spicing and creativeness of the dish. Very friendly and accommodating staff.Special Features:
- The food was good, but itbitemeottawaDined on 9/15/2013The food was good, but it all tasted the same. Did not enjoy the burger at all.
- Self confident for a reason!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2013Dinner was fabulous, menu was interesting and I will definitely go back. ALL staff exceptionally pleasant and knowledgeable. The menu is self-confident in a very good way - we chose items that had a definite southern accent. Fabulous biscuits with honey-butter, hangar steak marinated and cooked to perfection, broccolini that tipped it's hat at being fried (but was actually grilled and sprinkled with tasty breadcrumbs and some pickled onions). Fried olives and chickpeas for appetizers. Many interesting choices. I did not try the wines. My cocktail was good, but maybe not as unique as the food. Beautiful space upstairs, lovely New Orleans-ish bar, some lounge-like dinner chairs as well as bistro-type tables. Upstairs patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It depends on what you orderMisterFishDined on 9/7/2013Saturday night at six PM. The service was attentive and friendly. We ordered a serviceable Portuguese red wine. Of the three appetizers we ordered the fried artichokes were delicious but the other two not so much. Then when the other dishes came they brought the pasta and the fish all at once rather than the pasta first and the bass second as I would have expected so it was a rush to eat the food before it got cold. The bigoli pasta($15) was good and easily split between two as a first course. However the grilled bass($24) was dry, tough, and may not have actually been bass. The sauce was flavorless. I would have sent it back but honestly how did it ever leave the kitchen like that?
- I know the Parish has it andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2013I know the Parish has it and maybe a bit more tweaking can make it work. We ordered a flat bread dish that should have have been warm and the cheese melted. More like the bread was toasted and cold cheese was spread on top. The burger was not that great. We did not want to tempt fate and order dessert so we went elsewhere. As a downtown dweller I hope to see it Improve. The bit of arrogance I felt from the staff needs to tone down until they earn it with the food. This was our third meal there and our party left uninspired.Special Features:
- Parish was pretty goodvawriterDined on 9/5/2013I arrived to find downstairs full of movie equipment and techs. No one greeted me. I fought through crowd to go upstairs. Empty restaurant. I asked if I could sit at a small table for 2 against back wall. Hostess said they do not seat individuals on the back wall. I asked why was there a table for 2. She said that was not the normal configuration and reconfigured the wall from a 4/2/6 configuration to a 4/4/4 configuration. ok. Great cocktail. Duck-not good...odd mix of flavors. Was told it was a new recipe. Tried the shell pasta-too salty. Tasty bread pudding buy 1 end was chewy/stale while the body was barely above room temp. decaf cappuccino- rich & tasty. When I left, the back wall was still empty and was being arranged back to 4/2/6.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was awesome. food was super!chicleDined on 8/31/2013It was awesome. food was super! service was very attentive. I would go again and recommend it to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Srvc was great, food was goodawesomeVIPDined on 8/26/2013Srvc was great, food was good cept the caramelized g.bean w/Marconi almonds..a bit toooo salty, might be more towards an different palate? (?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/23/2013Food continues to evolve and it is just terrific. One of our best meals downtown in recent memory. Definitely try anything off the wood-fired grill.Special Features:
- Food & DrinksJoyceLexDined on 8/17/2013Great taste of food and great cocktail. Excellent on service and great setup for large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastro Pub GemkwarmingDined on 8/10/2013The BEST Hanger Steak we've ever eaten in our lives- AMAZING! We started with the fried olives and cucumber-tomato side which were both perfectly portioned and delicious. Emily gave us outstanding service with wonderful suggestions and attention. We look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Yummy!exploringdowntownDined on 8/5/2013Had a great 1st meal here and ran into a repeat customer who had multiple good experiences. The only drawback was the level of the music which was great for the bar area, but seemed to loud for dining. Maybe they're trying to draw a very young crowd, but when I dine, I like to enjoy the company as much as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The kitchen was in disarrayOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/4/2013The kitchen was in disarray on Sunday night for dinner, causing the entrees to take close to an hour to serve. This was not our first time at The Parish, so we know it is capable of far better. The food was spectacular, as during our previous visits: the fried chicken and local bass were delicious, as was the flatbread with sausage, cheese and heirloom tomatoes. The wait staff was conscientious and made several apologies for the kitchen's problems. Beer offerings were many and interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, cool spot, andGeorgetownTeddVIPDined on 8/3/2013Great food, cool spot, and everyone that worked there was super nice. Excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, bad musicMSchmidtDined on 8/2/2013The food is unique and interesting like many places you can find these days. We tried a large variety of dishes from small plates to the "pizza" to the pasta, everything was very good. My only complaint is not about the food. We were right under a speaker and the music was very loud. We asked to have it turned down. They said they did but it was an undetectable amount. Also some of the music was a little too hard core in terms of something to listen to while enjoying a nice dinner. It detracted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fried chicken!OverkaleVIPDined on 7/28/2013Had a lovely Sunday night dinner here on the upstairs, outdoor terrace. Loved the small, edited menu. The burger was really good, too! The only thing I hope they'd change here is the too-loud, not-great music -- something more sophisticated and quiet, like foreign language pop or even classical, would have been better. That, and the outdoor, metal chairs are not comfortable. Otherwise, it was really, really great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodAnnieVIPDined on 7/27/2013Delicious, inventive food - try the soft shell crabs - try anything there!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- splendid timeVitKDined on 7/26/2013as you arrive you are greeted by wonderful hostess, who then seats you down at the table, a table next to the window will give you a nice view of downtown local streets, along with people and building watching. the waitress and helping employees were tremendously helpful. doing the Dine LA was great, because we were able to try three different things per person. the drinks and food were solid. overall a great experience, would recommend for anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid BprosAndconsDined on 7/25/2013Going to a restaurant during DineLA week is a gamble. Even if you order from the full menu, chances are the servers are tired of bargain shoppers and the kitchen is focused on turning out the same core dishes. Even the "best new restaurant" can seem long in the tooth. All of our dishes showed potential but none was triumphant. You want great food to gleam and ours arrived without eliciting a single ooh! or ah!. The flavors were tasty all-round but every dish lacked "it factor." I left sated: neither disappointed nor thrilled. The best dish was the octopus. It had the texture of a tender lobster claw and was perfectly charred. The staff definitely tried to create a friendly vibe. I'm glad I went but I'm not in a big hurry to get back.Special Features:
- Duck!DowntownDinerDined on 7/25/2013I've have a lot of duck in my day - and this ranked as one of my best experiences ever! Too often, I find that it is over cooked,dried out, "gamey" and/or oily. The Parish's generous Grilled Duck Breast was none of that - perfectly prepared - and delightfully garnished with several peach slices lightly sprinkled with brown sugar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to downtown!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2013Met a friend for dinner who I hadn't seen in a while. Since I work downtown I was less than excited when my friend wanted to try something in the area. Having watched the transformation of the neighborhood during my 8 years, I've tried everything. The Parish was definitely a welcome surprise. From the lovely remodel of an old fave, to the drinks and food, it is definitely worth the trek east and is a place I will happily revisit for dinner or just an after work cocktail. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise levelbuzzwellDined on 7/24/2013Very good service, never rushed, nice ambience. However, the music in the dining area was so loud that conversation was almost impossible and hearing the server was quite difficult...kind of ruined the vibe.Special Features:
- Very extensive bar menu butBATNLDined on 7/18/2013Very extensive bar menu but pretty limited food menu. Dessert was the week point. The pastas were very good, as was the octopus appetizer. Artichoke appeitizer was boring. The chairs are very uncomfortable although attractive to look at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is impeccable. EveryoneMimiDined on 7/17/2013Service is impeccable. Everyone was attentive and sweet. The food was good but the appetizers so so. The fried olives and chickpeas were yummy but they were really stingy with the olives-- there were four to a hundred chickpeas. We also had the tomato and cucumber appetizer which was boring. It was just cut up veggies; I could do that myself. Had the Dinela menu and the shrimp dish was really good, I enjoyed the Serrano chills--an interesting taste mixture. A bit too much rosemary. My friend had the meat which she liked. We also had the fried artichokes which were also a bit heavily seasoned with rosemary and a lot of capers--sometimes the flavors complimented. Sometimes one dominated. The desserts were alright; I won't ever crave them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but great foodlilolaVIPDined on 7/16/2013Very good food and service but if they only sit u upstairs, which has great ambiance the music is way too loud. The waiter mentioned it himself two times. I think he tried to bring it down but it wasn't enough. The hang skirt steak with blackberries and cipollini onions was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good and CreativeVTinDTLAVIPDined on 7/13/2013Loved almost every dish, and what we didn't "love", we liked very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Parish DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2013While the menu descriptions of the dishes sounded enticing, the food itself disappointed. Sauteed green beans came doused in oil. What could have been a refreshing dish turned into a heavy one. An entree of roasted duck prepared with peaches and braised endive tasted mediocre. One of my dinner mates however, thoroughly enjoyed his burger, accompanied by a heaping serving of fries. Although crispy and well-salted, the fries could just as well have come from any burger joint. One feature that was absolutely stellar was the quality of beverages--and we don't even drink alcohol.Special Features:
- Great Pre-Orpheum VenueOneGayCurmudgeonDined on 7/11/2013Interesting cocktail and food menu, fun vibe and cool space. First floor entry may be off-putting as it consists of the kitchen and some tables that seem under-used, but once you get upstairs you'll see a pretty vibrant space.Special Features:
- Food was great, service not so muchCarmelSanDined on 7/10/2013A few blocks from the office in the Old Bank district dtla it was nice to be able to walk there. Lush, but not intimidating. I was there for a meeting, but too loud for conversations in a regular tone. I forgot my reading glasses, which normally wouldn't be a big deal, but the print on the menu was so tiny I couldn't read it. I mentioned my predicament to our waiter and he said " we'll thats what your friend is here for, She can read it to you". Um, ok. I asked him for some suggestions since this was my first visit and he rolled his eyes and relunctly names some plates. The food was absolutely delicious. We shared a soft shell crab appetizer and I ordered the shrimp in pasta. I would return for the food, not the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice experienceme22Dined on 7/8/2013The food was very good; even things that weren't to our liking were still tasty and conveyed effort by the chef. Our server, Armando was terrific. He seemed busy, but still took time to accommodate our special requests and communicate with the kitchen (which is on a different level so lots of trips up/down stairs) about our needs. The manager was very helpful and she stayed to chat with us for awhile when it wasn't so busy. After reading some negative reviews I was pleasantly surprised at our great experience. I read some negative comments about the price of the food, but I found everything to be extremely reasonable given the location, quality and creativity of the food, and overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly deliciousAngBanjDined on 7/1/2013Thought the venue would be more "gastro-puby" but it ended up being a nice intimate restaurant setting where we sat. The food was incredibly delicious - some of our favorites were the bone marrow, seafood pasta, and fried olives. Cocktails were really good, good selection of whiskey based cocktails, which are always an added bonus!Special Features:
- Terrific and unusual foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/29/2013Terrific and unusual food which satisfied all sorts of palates. Great drink menu and delicious desserts, too.Special Features:
- Great service, solid foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2013Cocktail: La Coquette -- citrusy, well-balanced Appetizer: chicken liver toast -- the ratio between liver and bread skewed a little too far toward liver, since it was fairly salty, but the flavor was good Entree: the mussels -- also a little salty, but the broth was great, and it was served with crusty bread Was a little too full for dessert, but they had house-made gelato that day. Looking forward to going back and trying other cocktails and a few of the other appetizers.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant in LAdeedubyouDined on 6/28/2013Can I say more than that? Every dish on the menu is incredible. Just go!Special Features:
- Parish deliversCotopaxiDined on 6/26/2013As always, the food was on point. Ordered mushrooms w/ burrata, hanger steak & bread pudding. Excellent, small wine list. Much larger beer and cocktail selection. Great craft California beers. Service fantastic, especially since we closed the place down. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.