The Pan American
202 Mott Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Pan American
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepanamnyc.com/
- Phone: 2129259225
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Thursday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 4:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, American
- Executive Chef: Harry W. Stoehr
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
A word from The Pan American
Nestled between the Italian greats and trendy newcomers that are making Nolita New York's latest dining destination is The Pan American, an eye-catching newcomer whose new and fresh take on the very concept of "American" is as exciting as their funky-chic digs. Behind the concept is owner Fernando Riquelme (from Rosa Mexicana, Mesa Grill and Pampano), inspired largely by the communal Latin sentiment that South American cuisine is just as American as what we eat traditionally here in the States. The result? An American eatery through Latin eyes, where the flavors of both Americas play out side by side for a deliciously engaging and entertaining experience unlike any other.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Pan American reviews from OpenTable diners
- Closed -- bought a grouponhungrybunnyDined on 7/29/2012Closed -- bought a groupon for this and was unable to redeem as the restaurant closed down but did not find it worthy to let its customers know.
- after waiting for 20 minutesFleacynoVIPDined on 7/15/2012after waiting for 20 minutes and being told they were out of salad and ingredients for cocktails (at sunday brunch) WE LEFT. awful place, deserves no stars
- Took a while for the waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2012Took a while for the waiter to get our order, I believe there was only one working at the time. He seemed stressed out and didn't give us our appetizer plates until after our first two appetizers. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- We went to Pan American withNSIMDined on 6/23/2012We went to Pan American with a couple of friends for a Saturday night dinner. I can say that the only thing that was pleasing about this place was the drinks. The food was dissapointing, and so was the ambiance.
- Honesty Not Appreciated HereOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/22/2012All the dishes we ordered were good except for one. So when the waiter came by to ask how everything was, I politely told him my opinion. I figured they would appreciate the honesty. Boy was I wrong. After that comment, we were no longer treated warmly. I know we won't be going back there.
- The drinks are amazing here.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/8/2012The drinks are amazing here. The happy hour not to be missed. The bartenders are phenomenal and so personable - they make it fun to be there. I love this place and it's become one of my favorite places to go for cocktails.Special Features:
- The Pan American was a greatRed1922Dined on 5/19/2012The Pan American was a great find. Funky decor, great service, and the food was absolutely delicious. The staff made great recommendations from the menu and the dishes lived up to the expectation. Fairly priced as well for the portion sizes. I will definitely make this a part of my regular restaurant rotation.Special Features:
- portions were ridiculouslyJaciDined on 5/4/2012portions were ridiculously small and service was very slow, although polite.
- Great drinks (particularlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/28/2012Great drinks (particularly the drink with vodka, muddled grape and prosecco), but the food left a lot to be desired. The flavored were off and/or missing,
- Wonderful new findOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/27/2012Great food. Wonderful vibe. Fantastic drinks and wonderful wait staff. I was very impressed and Woukd definitely return again often. I've eaten at many "Latin restaurants" and this is now one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Great Date RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/24/2012Found it on ScoutMob - the 50% off (up to $20 I think) made this an outstanding deal. We liked the tapas style menu. I was a little weary of going because some reviews on OpenTable were not good at all; however, we thought the food was excellent. It seems like many of those negative reviewers were upset with the portions. So if you're looking for a ton of food on the cheap, don't go here. We shared 4-5 plates: Guac, stuffed jalapenos (AMAZING!), duck breast, yucca fries, and it was plenty of food. We thought it was all great. The service was good as well, and the cocktails we also good. Will certainly return at some point despite not living in the area. The place was empty at 8p on a Friday but was packed by 9p. A little bright inside.
- Amazingly creative food downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2012Well worth the price if you are serious about fresh, creative food. We've been here twice - once randomly after a nearby whisky tasting, and once for the special Valentine's day menu. Both times we were blown away by the creativity and flavor of the food. There are many vegan options, and are very accomodating to food allergies. If it's a special event, i.e. Valentine's day with a set menu, then you should call ahead. I called spoke directly with the chef, who let me know what he could do for my date's allergies. Several people walked in off the street and were unreasonably frustrated that the restaurant couldn't accomodate them. Very attentive, very friendly service. Good beer list. This place, and the chef, know what they're doing.Special Features:
- For a casual meetings withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2012For a casual meetings with friends is okay. Very small portion entrees but delicious!!! Staffs are Very friendly & attentive. I wish I had more elbow room. Overall they're your perfect neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Bravo!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2012What a wonderful dining experience. The food was outstanding, both in presentation and taste. It was entertaining and delightful dining from start to finish. Beginning with homemade healthy chips, to the meal, and then unusual and different desserts. Including a homemade ice cream with beer! Wow! The chef clearly loves his profession and excels in every way. The food was not only healthy, but delicious, with great presentation. The staff was friendly and helpful, with beer suggestions and food combinations. The restaurant was roomy with tables placed perfectly spaced apart, with vibrant colors and comfortable deco chairs. Bravo Fernando! One of the best dining experiences we have had.Special Features:
- I'm not sure that I did mySushiloverVIPDined on 1/12/2012I'm not sure that I did my best job of ordering. But, the fried stuff (empanadas and taquitos) were VERY fried. The soft tacos were very good. The cocktail list was weird and they were out of ingredients for 2 of their cocktails. I also thought it was weird that they served their version of a bloody mary and a dark and stormy but didn't have a margarita on the menu when they serve fresh guacamole. I would return if someone I knew wanted to go but likely will not recommend it to others.
- very limited menu- didn'tcarolVIPDined on 12/9/2011very limited menu- didn't have some menu items available, yet had no specials either
- Loud, obnoxious crowd. HardworkingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/2/2011Loud, obnoxious crowd. Hardworking bartender and wait staff - but the place is grossly understaffed. Everything took forever. Open Table reservation didn't show up on their computer. NOTE: Rice was not cooked (read: crunchy) on my plate and my dining companion's. THIS IS A BAD SIGN.
- The place was small - notEddieVIPDined on 12/2/2011The place was small - not enough tables. Very, very noisy & loud like a club - I lost my voice a day later from yelling at my date across the 2 foot table. Food is very, very expensive - i.e. baby octopus appetizer for $11 had 4 pieces of 1/2 inch octopus, the rest were potatoes. skirt steak for $24, contained 4 tiny slivers of cut steak. Will not go back and will not recommend.
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2011The food was a real surprise. The service was slow, she also forgot the stuff we had ordered twice. However, she was friendly.Special Features:
- Worst service of any restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/19/2011Worst service of any restaurant I've been to in the past year
- Overall excellent experience.SyguyVIPDined on 11/12/2011Overall excellent experience. The owner was there helping out and you can see how much he cares. Excellent value for the moneySpecial Features:
- Really great decor, and veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/12/2011Really great decor, and very cool vibe. Food severly lacked seasoning and panache. Food basically looked and tasted as if it was a great airplane meal, not high end dining
- Along with being a reallySAWSAWSAWVIPDined on 9/23/2011Along with being a really good spot for dinner - our dishes were great - it would be a great place to go for drinks and a few small plates. We really liked the farmer cheese-stuffed jalapenos, the duck empanadas and the guacamole (which I was chided about ordering because it is so predictable to do so) was lovely: everyone was pleased with the perfect avocados and just the right flavor. My skirt steak and oxtail was very good, the plantain-crusted sea bass was excellent, as was the fried chicken breast. It was nice to have a place that had small plates do such a great job with the entrees. P.S. I would like to pass on Jenna the waitress recommendation to me of the Tempranillo.Special Features:
- If you only try one new restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/22/2011If you only try one new restaurant this year...make it this one. The food is outstanding, creative and tasty. The ambiance is subtle and chic. Service is attentive and responsive. I feel like I stumbled into one of the best new restaurants in the City. You will not be disappointed.
- The Pan-American is a littleExcellentDined on 2/19/2011The Pan-American is a little (literally) E. Vill/SoHo gem! The food good and the portions are fairly large for a place that bills itself as trendy. Hoping that sticks. It bills itself as comfort food with a Latin twist, though the spice/heat was a bit lacking. I ordered the fried chicken with chorizo rice and a side of apple-fennel slaw. The slaw was a cooked/warm variation, so don't expect the standard cold, mayo-or-vineagrette-based slaw. My GF ordered the Churrasco steak w/ yucca fries. Came out medium-well, even though she ordered medium. Turns own she liked that better. Finally, the space is small (about 8-10 tables + bar) but the decor is amazing. Mostly 50's-diner-kitsch, but in Miami colors (teals and oranges).Special Features:
- While the staff was nice andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/14/2011While the staff was nice and accommodating, the menu was quite limited and pricier than we were thinking because it was Valentine's Day. Had we known there was a special menu, we would have picked a different restaurant for that night. The chef was kind enough to do something vegetarian for me, but I just wish we would have known in advance about a special Valentine's menu.
- They overbooked, but wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/12/2011They overbooked, but were very apologetic to our party of 6. We were able to try a bunch while we waited and almost everything was great. Fried chicken was really good as was mac n cheese. Great drinks.Special Features:
- Room for improvementDateNightDined on 2/11/2011Overall experience was ok. the pork dish was bland and the steak was oversalted. The Salmon Ceviche was outstanding. I probably should have stayed with the fish dishes. The service was great, waiter was very friendly and new the menu and the host followed up on our meal and experience. I am sure that the weather did not help - warmer weather is always better.
- Good Times!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/11/2011Great Evening out!! The food was amazing the service was fantastic the ambiance of the place was great d the specialty drinks were something to write about all alone!! Definitely would recommended this place as a great date night destination!Special Features:
- I came here for my birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/28/2011I came here for my birthday celebration with some friends of mine. Although we did not all arrive at the same time, the nice waitress asked only once whether our party required all the previously reserved tables, probably because of a small group of walk-ins that had just arrived. Started off with an order each guacamole with chips, which was made to order right at the bar and was excellent. Also had the salmon ceviche, which was very good. I myself ordered the excellent skirt steak. Didn't have room for dessert, but definitely willing to come back another day to this cozy little restaurant.Special Features:
- Came here to celebrate mysunilgDined on 1/8/2011Came here to celebrate my 30th birthday with a bunch of friends and the staff were tremendous. One of my friends was running late but they sat us anyway when the restaurant was full and never bothered us while we were waiting for him. We ordered the guac and chips, two between 9 of us and it was good without being great. All the mains we ordered were tremendous. Unfortunately didn't have enough space for dessert but will be back for thatSpecial Features:
- Great first time dining experienceSpenjulDined on 1/7/2011Great first time dining experience at Pan American - Host / Owners were very generous and gracious - we sat for over 2.5 hours and never felt rushed or hurried. Lots of great healthy options which are usually hard to find on a Latin American menu.Special Features:
- The buttermilk fried chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/5/2011The buttermilk fried chicken was fantastic, and the guacamole was also excellent. I'd recommend this place for anyone needing a fun trendy meal in SoHo!Special Features:
- The Pan American is under-statedAwesomeVIPDined on 12/30/2010The Pan American is under-stated and it over-delivers. With well thought cocktails, along with an atmosphere that is vibrant yet humble you can't go wrong. When we dined our service was so enjoyable, very fluid. The manager Frank was extremely hospitable and kind. The gluten free Mac n' Cheese is extra delicious, one of the best I have had in a long time...Also the drink with muddled grapes, sav blanc and vodka is killer. Definitely will become a neighborhood gem and I will definitely be returning. Only one thing left to say -Oxtail.Special Features: