The Palmetto Cafe
205 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Palmetto Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charlestonplace.com/web/ocha/charleston_restaurants.jsp
- Phone: 8437224900x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 10:30am
Brunch: Saturday: 9:00am - 11:30am, Sunday: 9:00am - 1:30pm
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Steven Manall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Palmetto Cafe
The Palmetto Cafe offers a garden like setting featuring live green walls, rich mahogany furniture and adjoining courtyard. Located on the main floor of Belmond - Charleston Place Hotel, the restaurant features innovative American cuisine using only the freshest local ingredients. The Palmetto Cafe is open daily for breakfast, lunch and weekend brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
The Palmetto Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
The Palmetto Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (25)special occasion (15)great for lunch (14)fit for foodies (9)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (4)good for groups (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- A very lovely lunch spotGSSusanVIPDined on 10/2/2014We had a very lovely lunch at The Palmetto Café. The ambience is lovely and there is an option to sit outside in a beautiful courtyard. Our server Maureen was knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. The whole staff was very attentive yet not overbearing. Our food was outstanding. For someone who can't decide and wants to try a bit of everything the sampler plate is the answer. Generous portions and fabulous bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuckyDined on 9/21/2014Wonderful afternoon spent with my mum. Food was hot, tasty and there was an abundance to choose from. Staff was polite, attentative and interactive with patrons. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch 1 or brunch 2FrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/14/2014There are two types of brunch; a la carte or buffet. Both have their place. When I was 20 and always hungery buffets were great. Not so much now, but Palmetto Cafe is one of the best. Many great choices that are fresh and kept full all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too often to separate visitsFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014We "drop in" here often because it is convenient and good. Early or mid-day it is consistent and easy. The crab salad is a little pricy, but it is so good it is hard to skip.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchyummytummyDined on 9/13/2014I booked a reservation for Saturday lunch during restaurant week. Due to a medical emergency I called and said I would be 30 minutes late. When I arrived they had my table saved and I had a delicious meal of crab brioche. The service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Great...if you choose the buffet.DougandJudyCaryVIPDined on 9/1/2014After a great Labor Day weekend as guests at Charleston Place and dining at the several of the fine restaurants the city has to offer, my wife and I decided to have breakfast at the hotel (Palmetto Café) prior to returning home. The restaurant itself is really pretty...with a definite 'southern style' to it. Unfortunately...both the service and the food was sub par. On the service side...we waited 5-10 minutes at the table for our server to stop by. Then I waited another 10-15 minutes for the orange juice I had ordered to make it to the table. Guess we should have chosen the buffet...as by the time our breakfast arrived the food was both dried out and discolored (read: barely edible) from sitting under heat lamps for so long. What a shame.
- Nice brunch buffet.eprajapatiDined on 8/30/2014Cafe has a nice atmosphere and service was very good. We had the brunch buffet which was excellent, alot of variety. Was worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding restaurantLaloDined on 8/24/2014The service was great, the location perfect as it's in downtown, close to everything including our hotel. I would really like to come back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely brunch.jaune41Dined on 8/24/2014My husband and I love to treat ourselves to brunch at the Palmetto Café. We book a table online and our reservation is always waiting for us. We are greeted like VIP's and all of the waiting staff is knowledgeable and polite. Just the right amount of disturbances...meaning a little chit chat here and there and always something friendly and warm. I highly recommend a brunch visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we stayedASandmanDined on 8/24/2014We were getting ready to leave this restaurant after eating elsewhere in Charleston and having a great breakfast at lower prices. The waitress asked us to stay and give it a try. We were glad we did! The food was very good although pricey and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebratory Brunch SuccessLaPawsDined on 8/8/2014Our intent was to have a no-holds-barred breakfast for 'our' day 50+. Setting was ideal. Food was to our taste liking and with spark. The staff was more than helpful without being intrusive.Special Features:
- fantastic Sunday brunch!tomnrobbinVIPDined on 7/27/2014We were looking for a Sunday brunch spot and this was perfect! Attentive service from knowledgable servers, and food that surpassed our expectations. Traditional fair - but you absolutely have to try their blintzes - delicious!Special Features:
- Great breakast menuTraveling1VIPDined on 7/23/2014Elegant setting for breakfast with a view of the courtyard in blloom. Terry,our waiter,was as wonderful as the food:-)Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedDined on 7/22/2014The food was VERY salty. Im sure it was an oversite-the waiter did not give me change on a $14 tip. I gave him $20. I never say him after.
- CHS29492Dined on 7/20/2014Excellent breakfast/brunch/lunch. Incredible, attentive service.Special Features:
- The following 30 reviews are from the The Palmetto Cafe reviews archive.
- WestieMomDined on 7/6/2014My son was in town for the 4th of July and the 6th was my Birthday. We went to brunch at The Palmetto Cafe to celebrate my birthday. Food, Service and Ambience outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfast!Josie512Dined on 6/24/2014We enjoyed a breakfast as we left Charleston. Perfect ending to a perfect trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normal FareTarheelGuyDined on 6/22/2014The Sunday Brunch buffet was good but not worth a $27/person price tag. The French press coffee and omelets were our favorite part.Special Features:
- Pricey but worth itTellsitasIseeitDined on 5/26/2014Once we got over the initial shock that lunch would cost at least $30.00 per person with no sharing, the food was definitely worth it. The quality of the food items was outstanding, whether it was the fresh fruit plate, the hot salmon entree, the caesar salad with scallops and chicken, or the three tacos of fresh shrimp, lobster claws and fresh tuna. There was gluten free bread for our gluten free friends and a wonderful choice of other breads with delicious spreads or butter. Let's not forget the delightful peach tea served with simple syrup, which was replenished as often as desired. How often in Charleston can a table of four people have a leisurely, quiet atmospheric lunch, where we can hear hear each other's conversation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at the Cafe'jimparsonsDined on 5/17/2014We were seated promptly and given menus, wine list and a flyer on the buffet. The server said the buffet was best for sampling all the different food items on the menu. We chose the buffet and found most of the offerings different and very good. The only choice we did not like was the macaroni/cheese with lobster -- it was somewhat dried out and not too warm. The she-crab soup was delicious and had much crab in it. However, we went back for a refill and there was no crab left in the pot. The made to order tacos were excellent and the pulled pork was also very good. The crab cakes were best we've ever had, full of crab. There was an excellent selection of wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic lunchOliRobVIPDined on 4/30/2014As always, The Palmetto Cafe provided a wonderful luncheon setting. Something different and delicious as ordered by every member of our party. Everyone was more than pleased with their meal. And the service provided by Carrie was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBTPBDined on 4/28/2014Lunch was first-rate. Excellent in every respect . . . a must for lunch . . . wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchRkeyes85VIPDined on 4/27/2014The brunch was very good and we all enjoed ourselves. I was hoping for a "carving station" but it was not available. Courtyard provides a unique dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow lunch serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014This is a wonderful dinner spot, but service a little slow and too relaxed for Charleston Place. The waitress was too casual and not very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty EleganticChristyViewpointVIPDined on 4/14/2014Perfectly designed venue - low county plantation elegance without being overly precious. Brunch hit all the high notes with a nod to regional classics grits and cheese in addition to classic brunch fare. The garden count yard feel made the experience spa like and relaxing. Why they had the staff dressed in baggy gray janitor clothing is a mystery. Oh and if you are a woman with gray hair and you've brought your daughter or son for brunch be prepared to be dismissed and ignored because you are irrelevant and old even if you are paying the check..all part of the charm...not.Special Features:
- Delightful and easyFrequentDinerVIPDined on 4/13/20142nd Sunday on King was made more pleasant by starting at Palmetto Cafe. So busy chatting with friends that I didn't try everything on the buffet but it was there and what I did have was wonderful. We always enjoy Charleston Place and this is just part of the whole experience of the property.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Non-existent service.CharlestonLocalVIPDined on 3/30/2014Waiter could not be found for 20 minutes. Very cold. Unimpressed.
- A gem in historic Charleston.FurbyVIPDined on 3/22/2014Cafe is located in very upscale Charleston place Hotel and is in keeping with the ambiance of the hotel. Dining is either under the enclosed sunroom area or outside in beautiful patio located in center of hotel. Food and service match the ambience. Service upscale but laid back. One sign of good service is when ladies are given a napkin that does not leave o their outfit based on color. Food was also superb. Both of opted for salads. Caesar salad was very fresh with accompanying shrimp and scallops and well presented in a bread bowl. My crab salad was very large and mostly crab with some greens on top and a very tasty sauce. Side of lobster mac and cheese was a good value at $9. Prices overall are high but good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything I expectedDelightfulVIPDined on 3/22/2014Excellent food well prepared. Staff was very attentive with good knowledge of the menu. It was all about the customer. The way it should be. Potions could be smaller.Special Features:
- This lunch was outstanding.LocalEatrDined on 3/13/2014This lunch was outstanding. The food was creative in combinations and in presentation. The tastes were bold. Service was a good combination of personal and professional. Compared to most lunches, this one was expensive, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SEWE Valentine Lunchluv2dineonvalentinesDined on 2/14/2014What a perfect lunch ! The lunch of shrimp salad, salmon, and the perfect crab cakes ! John our server was top notch !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Breakfast/brunch buffet!HolleyVIPDined on 2/8/2014What a beautiful atmosphere to enjoy fresh squeezed OJ, French pressed coffee and a buffet that will satisfy any palette.. We went back the next morning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance + ServiceRM116VIPDined on 1/31/2014I was a guest at the hotel, and had the chance to eat both breakfast and lunch here. The room is airy and beautiful, the service attentive but not overbearing, and the food good. I'd definitely return. It's not a budget option, but it is calm and relaxing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, romantic lunchLoveEatingOutDined on 1/21/2014The ambiance was superb, our waiter was beyond excellent, striving in every way to make our experience memorable, and the food was indescribably delicious and so creative. It was so much fun to start off with 3 different types of bread and 3 different flavors of butter. Even the menu was different, the cover being made of wood. The portions were quite ample and everything is made in house. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place for lunch downtownADL2013VIPDined on 1/16/2014I was looking for a "special" place for a lunch celebration and found it with The Palmetto Café. I was most impressed with the fact they had octopus like you can't find anywhere else in SC. The service was perfect and the manager was nice enough to stop by to speak to us to make sure everything was good. The food and service were wonderful and the view of the courtyard on a cold, sunny day made our lunch celebration just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Coffee / Food just ok3gullsandabouyVIPDined on 12/30/2013An early breakfast... We were the only diners. Eggs over cooked for the Benedict at which I am very particular... Yoke cooked throughout. Forgot the bacon in the bacon and cheese omelette for my friend but a side order was immediately brought. Everything plated nicely. Would give another shot for lunch, maybe.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchMichaelDined on 12/29/2013The reservation was honored, and the brunch was great, from the waiter to the omelette maker and the seating staff, it was a wonderful meal.The dishes were fresh and very tasty, and the lidded food warmers were the best I have seen, as the lids stayed up without being all the way open. The chocolate dipped dehydrated pineapple bite was the crowning finish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gourmet lunch treatLynneVIPDined on 12/27/2013We don't go to The Palmetto Cafe very often for lunch, as is is dinner priced lunch, but it is worth every penny. I love the sampler, and it was just as good as I remember. Our waiter was lots of fun - had a little "edge" to his humor, but he helped out a lot when I bumped my tea and spilled it all over!! We had a wonderful anniversary lunch.Special Features:
- rather so-soshepVIPDined on 12/24/2013Went for family luncheon during Christmas holiday. Had a broad selection of items at the table. Seafood tacos were tepid and tough, and the fish was bland - fairly uninspiring flavors. Several had the roast chicked and liked it very much. Two people had she-crab soup and loved it - be forewarned that this is a rich dish and should probably be your main course unless you have quite an appetite. Did not have the wine-by-the-glass that I had ordered, but was able to order an upgraded selection at the same cost.
- Ladies' Christmas Lunch was super!HappydinerVIPDined on 12/11/2013We had a marvelous time at lunch at Palmetto Cafe! All of the item that we ordered were perfect! Just too much food! We loved the sampler plates, but two of us could have shared one! The special iced tea, peach, I think, was wonderful! Our waiter couldn't have been more attentive, and the service was impeccable! I can't wait to go back!Special Features: