The Painted Lady
201 S College St
Newberg, OR 97132Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Painted Lady
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thepaintedladyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (503) 538-3850
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Allen Routt
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Offering our fine dining experience by Chef Routt at a multitude of venues.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant may be reserved for private events, seating up to 35 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Bagley 5035383850x
A word from The Painted Lady
Oregon's only AAA four diamond and Forbes four star restaurant, The Painted Lady in Newberg offers two tasting menus nightly celebrating the products of their local neighbors- Oregon's world class ranchers, farmers and vintners. Inspired by the grand tradition of restoring Victorian homes across America, the restaurant uses classic culinary techniques to create a stunning modern menu. With timeless grace and a contemporary palate, The Painted Lady is more than a restaurant, it is an experience to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Painted Lady - Best Restaurants in Newberg ›
The Painted Lady reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (95)fit for foodies (88)romantic (88)notable wine list (74)neighborhood gem (23)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (6)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- only one complaint, they serve farmed salmon!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014I am from the greater Seattle area and admit to being a bit of a Salmon snob... I love fresh King but a nice Sockeye will do as well, I NEVER eat farm raise pellet fed Salmon. I was shocked that this "high end" and expensive restaurant served farmed Salmon. When I asked about their Salmon and was informed that it was not wild but not really farmed... really? Well, they claim that the fish are in very large enclosures in the "ocean" near Vancouver BC. Much different than "pen raised" fish they said, Baloney! When I asked if the fish were pellet fed, they claimed ignorance and suggested that the fish ate the normal diet of ocean prey. I can't imagine that a Salmon could be raised in an enclosure and not be fed Salmon Chow (color added?). The taste of the fish they served was nonexistent and my wife did not finish half of it... Everything else served was very good though, and some of it was absolutely fabulous.... so, I would still recommend this restaurant (just don't order the Salmon)..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining perfectionyummy2Dined on 11/14/2014Beautiful experience. We had a bonafide foodie with us—Diane Morgan, author of the James Beard award-winning cookbook ROOTS—and she was as impressed as the bonafide non-foodies at our table (she had been once before, many years ago). It was a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TroyersDined on 11/8/2014This was an amazing evening, with fabulous food and wine, and the service was rediculously amazing !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating another decadeCorvalliscallingDined on 11/7/2014As a couple the Painted Lady was recommended to us by friends who had dined here before. I appreciated the reminder call asking if we had food allergies and confirming our reservation. The location was easy to find and our table was ready at the time we expected. We chose the wine paring with the courses and found all but one selection a perfect match. The food was outstanding and I now know what is meant by "marrying flavors". We never felt rushed and were allowed to experience the evening at our own pace. We very much appreciated the casual but not intrusive conversation with Matthew, our attendant and the very thoughtful sharing of dinner information. We were prepared for the price of the evening and felt it fit the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLovefoodVIPDined on 11/5/2014I can’t say enough about how great the food was. It was as good or better than the French Laundry. The service was friendly, as well as very knowledgeable. If you are anywhere near you should eat at the Painted Lady.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/1/2014Somewhat set menu each night, but with multiple interesting courses, of high quality, nicely sized, and properly served. Pleasant Victorian ambiance, quiet, and with soft background music. Plenty of space between tables and never a feeling of being rushed. Dinner with wine is not inexpensive, but it is an unique place to have a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014Outstanding food and service. Must experience this highly rated restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceforeverfoodieVIPDined on 10/24/2014Every entree was special - beautifully prepared with unusual combinations and delicious all the way. We are from San Francisco and will be back on our next visit to Portland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sliceoflifeDined on 10/24/2014The food was very good and the service was exceptional, but it wasn't clear (up front) that this was such a limited menu. There was one general dinner plan of about 8 courses, all presented sequentially and with great finesse and care that we truly were ready to proceed with the next course. Each patron had 5 of the same courses and then for the three other courses, each patron had a choice of either this or that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timePhylDined on 10/24/2014Have dined here at least 10 times for special occasions. The restaurant has gone exclusively to a single fixed menu of seven courses (with some choices). Diners may also choose to accompany each offering with a wine pairing. This is no longer a place where diners can enjoy a 2 or 3 course meal.Special Features:
- OutstandingDRandDRDined on 10/16/2014The Painted Lady raises the bar for fine dining! The whole experience...from the attentive service to the magnificent and many courses that are as beautiful to look at as they are to eat, is impeccable. A world of flavours in each little dish! Thank you for a magical ending to our honeymoon. It was perfect!Special Features:
- frogpond6frogpond6Dined on 10/16/2014a wonderful evening.....the food was out of this world good....the service was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie54Dined on 10/12/2014Best meal I have ever had, compared to restaurants in NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami. Boston, France, England, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Spain, Switzerland.Special Features:
- A Wine country gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/9/2014The Painted Lady should be reserved for a special treat or just a wonderful meal to finish off a day of wine tasting in Newberg. The tasting menu has food that is creatively prepared and offers three choices within a well structured and balanced meal. I would choose to eat here every time I am in the Willamette Valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceWineloverVIPDined on 10/9/2014Wonderful tasting menu beatifully prepared. Wine pairings complimented each course. The service was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/9/2014All courses perfect! Wine pairings excellent! One of the best meals we have ever experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An outstanding dining experiencewinecollectorDined on 10/5/2014Loved the format and food presentations for a special occasion. I enjoyed the wine pairings tremendously! Would not want to eat this way often, but for the once or twice a year special occasion, it is quite wonderful and unique!Special Features:
- Best keeps getting better!BeaverNationDined on 10/4/2014We've been here several times for special occasions. The food is amazing. The service impeccable. They treat u like u are their only table. I'd recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/3/2014too much food. we had to ask the server to stop brining to food. feels wastefulSpecial Features:
- What a recommendationGoodtimeDined on 10/1/2014Friends recommended Painted Lady to us and we are so grateful. We had mentioned my Celiac Disease when we made the reservation. Without a word being said in person they presented the first bites for while we looked over the menu and the waiter immediately said that here was no gluten. I felt totally safe. The food was amazing and the attention to detail was also.Special Features:
- Exceptional Service-Hit & Miss FoodMossimoDined on 9/25/2014Great service. Beautiful room. Some courses exceptional - flavors intense. Others, e.g. beef entree, average - nothing special.Special Features:
- FantasticPLB1Dined on 9/21/2014This was my first time to the Painted Lady and it was everything I had hoped it would be. Great food, great wine, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations exceeded!JanetEastmanDined on 9/19/2014We had read the reviews and media praise and expected a lot and the chef and his team delivered. Drew was a knowledgable, fun waiter. Each course was a delightful surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary dining experiencedelmardinerDined on 9/19/2014The Painted Lady is a gem with impeccable service and complex dishes. Each course was explained well by the staff and well spaced. They made accommodation by substituting different ingredients for fish and explained those as well. What a delight to have a quiet, elegant meal! Although this is an expensive "special occasion" restaurant, it is worth the splurge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Per Se of NewbergwellpleasedDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant reminded us of Per Se in New York City. The food was exceptional and the service matched the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining ExperienceJeanandrichDined on 9/18/2014If you're into fine dining in a sophisticated atmosphere, don't miss the Painted Lady. It's quite an experience with a beautiful setting, perhaps the best service we have ever had, and wonderful food. The menu is prie fixe with many small courses perfectly paced - so it's very relaxing. The service is attentive and spot on, never intrusive or overbearing, just always there at the right time. We got a great wine recommendation from our server after describing to him the type of wine we liked, and asking for something from the Willamette. He was also very nice in giving us some wing touring recommendations for the next day. All in all this was just a fantastic choice for a special meal.Special Features:
- Painted lady masterpieceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/17/2014Splurge and do the food wine pairing which is amazing. Remember this is a tasting menu type of restaurant so there is only one menu but you will get to pick when it comes to the 2 "main courses " and the dessert. Everyone left full except for one the male parties who dined with us. This is fine dining on steroids. The staff was very professional and Matt the sommelier was wonderful and sweet. He is wiser beyond his years. The food was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some surprises, not all good onesRLSPDXVIPDined on 9/14/2014We love The Painted Lady and have been dining there for a decade during visits to Oregon wine country. However, we failed to note that it's recently become a fixed-price, tasting only menu. In fact, that's not very well highlighted on their website either. So it came as a shock to find that we had signed on to an expensive 8-course chef's selection, taking 3 hours in total (served at a reasonable pace). The service was excellent, and the room pleasant (though not at the level of this new price point), which elevated our rating. The food, while well mostly executed, struck us as disjointed in approach. Successes were the dessert, miso soup, and the cheese plate; the main salmon course and agnolotti were poorly cooked and insipid.Special Features:
- Exceptional Food and ServiceAKFoodieDined on 9/13/2014Seven course meal with six wine pairings. Beautiful food presentations. Complex flavors and ingredients perfectly matched. Wines carefully selected to compliment each course. Service was impeccable. Master sommeliers were very knowledgeable. This was a 3 1/2 hour fine dining experience and I would highly recommend The Painted Lady for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destination/event wondermichaelrhDined on 9/13/2014Yes, the Painted Lady is expensive, but the food and service are exquisite! The staff did an admirable job of accommodating a variety of food allergies while still presenting an innovative, delicious meal. Our only complaint was that the restaurant was quite chilly, and they did warm it up a degree at our request. In their defense, it was almost 90 that day, and after a day of sightseeing, we did not have jackets to wear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best dining experience!WSGRunnerVIPDined on 9/12/2014This was a birthday celebration dinner and it was truly an amazing dining experience. We sat outside on the patio and it was very romantic. This 7 course meal was very unique. The presentation of each course was great as well as the taste. They went out of their way to take care of us at dinner and the chef even sent us home with a piece of chocolate cake as an extra birthday treat. Don't miss this restaurant the next time you are in Newberg.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014Good food but the"experience" was way too drawn out. Three hours later and only bites of food we were left tired and a bit unsatisfied.Special Features:
- superbTany011aDined on 9/12/2014Better than any restaurant in Portland, absolutely fantastic food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAJR1Dined on 9/10/2014On arrival we were greeted very warmly and given a choice of dining indoors or on the outside terrace. We chose to dine al fresco and were seated at one of three tables on the small terrace to the side. The set menu featured six courses plus an amuse bouche, sorbet and petit fours, with choices within three of the courses. Each course was prepared and presented perfectly and the meal as a whole featured a great variety of flavours and textures. The highlight for me was the braised short rib of beef, which melted in the mouth. A wine pairing option was available to complement the food, although we decided to make our own selections of Oregon & Washington wines. The service was very professional.The pacing was just right. A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible experienceGoodstuffDined on 9/7/2014Based on reviews, we tried this restaurant and was a little surprised at first that it is simply an old house. We were seated at our request on the patio as the weather was beautiful and began our 3.5 hour meal. Wine list was wonderful and our level 3 sommelier recommended a wonderful Pinot noir preceded by pear martinis which were amazing. Each course was beautifully presented and equally delicious. Portion size is small but it's a guarantee that you don't go away hungry. I have to say in my almost 70 years, it easily qualifies as one of the top few restaurants that I have ever enjoyed. Hopefully we can come back.Special Features:
- BwiseDined on 9/7/2014Great chef with good ideas. Some didn't work but most did. Service could be a little more attentive. Fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uwsdaveVIPDined on 9/6/2014We visited Portland during a west coast trip and had a terrific day in the wine country that was capped by a terrific meal at The Painted Lady. The menu was creative, the staff was serious about making the experience special and the night ranked with some of the best restaurants we've visited. In addition, we brought our infant daughter to the dinner and the staff was more than accommodating and friendly. We will definitely return when we visit the Portland area in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDiningluvDined on 9/6/2014Everything was perfect! Absolutely perfect! Food was unbelievable and service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long live fine dining...cluvDined on 9/3/2014Thank goodness! In a sea of trendy, too-cool-for-school restaurants that are more interested in their celebrity chefs than the diner's experience, it is SO refreshing to dine at a restaurant that handles all the details and delivers on every level. Exceptional service, beautifully prepared and presented dishes (not to mention absolutely delicious… who knew you could get wasabi in Oregon?), comfortable atmosphere. A perfect place to celebrate our first anniversary and they did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Our favorite little spot in YCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014This is our favorite restaurant for sure in Oregon and maybe anywhere. Definitely a dining experience to remember. Great idea for speacial date night or anniversary or something like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.