The Painted Lady
201 S College St
Newberg, OR 97132Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Painted Lady
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thepaintedladyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5035383850x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Allen Routt
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Offering our fine dining experience by Chef Routt at a multitude of venues.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant may be reserved for private events, seating up to 35 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Bagley 5035383850x
A word from The Painted Lady
Oregon's only AAA four diamond and Forbes four star restaurant, The Painted Lady in Newberg offers two tasting menus nightly celebrating the products of their local neighbors- Oregon's world class ranchers, farmers and vintners. Inspired by the grand tradition of restoring Victorian homes across America, the restaurant uses classic culinary techniques to create a stunning modern menu. With timeless grace and a contemporary palate, The Painted Lady is more than a restaurant, it is an experience to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Painted Lady - Best Restaurants in Newberg ›
The Painted Lady reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (99)fit for foodies (83)romantic (82)notable wine list (74)neighborhood gem (21)great for outdoor dining (17)hot spot (3)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Our favorite little spot in YCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014This is our favorite restaurant for sure in Oregon and maybe anywhere. Definitely a dining experience to remember. Great idea for speacial date night or anniversary or something like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelin star caliber restaurantSdccDined on 8/27/2014This sophisticated food restaurant deserves to be reviewed by a Michelin critic and deserves at least one star Michelin rating. Excellent in all aspects.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great classic tasteRelaxedDined on 8/24/2014We ate outdoors on a beautiful evening. We were not rushed but each course was timely. A very good wine list but they also offer paring with each course which is great for those that do not want to study a wine list. Menu somewhat fixed but they ask for food allergies ahead of time and made great adjustments. Now one of my favoritesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- topnotchout4eatsDined on 8/23/2014Pricey prix fixe the only offering, but well worth it for a special occasion. Excellent service down to the smallest details (e.g.a white napkin on the table when you arrive for diners with light color skirt or trousers and a black one for diners with black skirt or trousers). Food very creative and well executed. Service very professional and nicely paced.Special Features:
- GREAT FOODprdunn3Dined on 8/23/2014The food was outstanding. My only complaint is that the dinner was over a 3 hour process. Would of been perfect if you could cut it down to 1 1/2 hours. After leaving we where hungry.
- The best food evereatupdrinkupDined on 8/22/2014I had the best meal of my life at The Painted Lady. The service was impeccable although we were made to wait for a long time instead of prior reservations. The food more than made up for it. The place is very pricey but totally worth it. They have a very small number of tables , the place is nice and quiet , also very formal.Special Features:
- Painted lady in newberg oregonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Small Victorian home, amazing food, great value best service I've ever had. Did the wine pairings with the prie fixe menu, both wines and food were spectacular, service was first rateSpecial Features:
- UnexpectednanwagDined on 8/21/2014We knew it was the best place in town but we were blown away with the quality of the food and service! Only problem was the table was right in front of the door to the restroom and there was lots of traffic! Also it was right by the glare of the sun from the front door. If we would of had a decent table the evening would have been perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Painted Lady dinnerDMcdDined on 8/20/2014The dining experience at the Painted Lady was very good, as usual. The courses were well prepared and presented. The wine pairings were also very good. The ambiance was excellent. This was our fifth visit, and each time, the experience was very good to excellent. However, in our estimation, there has been a noticeable increase in costs and in the (required) number of courses. If one wishes outstanding food, but a more modest amount and number of courses, it is apparently no longer possible to just order a three or four course meal. My wife and I would like the option of choosing courses, not just staying with the fixed six course dinner. Excellent experience, but for this single exceptionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealEpicORDined on 8/20/2014Our visit to the Painted Lady was one of the high spots of the trip while in the Oregon wine country. Elegant and innovative courses are paired with exquisite wine. A meal to remember and savor!Special Features:
- amazing placeGreatdiningDined on 8/16/2014Not only is painted lady an amazing restaurant, you know they are special when they can easily adjust their menu for gluten and dairy free dining and make a wonderful dessert. Truly amazing. BRAVO.Special Features:
- awesomegruvenDined on 8/15/2014went for anniversary dinner, everything lived up to the prior reviews, food, service and setting, all perfect for romantic dinner. A bit quite, but overall quite lovely. The food was specifically outstanding.Special Features:
- Elegance in Oregon Pinot regionDrfoodieDined on 8/3/2014This fine dining spot is a must for foodies visiting the local Oregon Pinot noir region. The tasting menu is regionally and locally designed around the current season and a feast for the visual as well as the palate. One suggestion would be two versions of the tasting menu, one with fewer courses for those desiring a lighter meal after an afternoon of wine tasting. Looking forward to our next gastronomic adventure there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really impressive.EaterouterDined on 8/2/2014We are spoiled by all the amazing Portland restaurants and always have low expectations of restaurants elsewhere in Oregon. We have tried all of the other nice places out here (thistle, la rambla, Jory, recipe, etc). This place was fantastic, every dish was impressive and the desserts were creative and amazing. Beast level deliciousness, great service although the pacing was a little too slow. We did the caviar and foie add ons, both were great. Best place to have dinner in the Oregon wine country for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary experienceGetnoutDined on 8/2/2014We chose The Painted Lady for a special occasion and they did not disappoint. Fantastic food, no rush to experience it, attentive waitstaff and innovative wine pairings. We thoroughly enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestdoggedydaysDined on 8/1/2014Probably the best meal we've had in the Northwest, with service to match. There were an incredible number of amazingly prepared plates served over 2 1/2 hours.Special Features:
- Even better than before!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/31/2014We didn't think it was possible, but with the latest menu, The Painted Lady has outdone themselves! We have dined there many times and saw improvements where we didn't think any were possible and our two friends from the San Francisco Bay Area were completely taken with the food, service, and ambience. The entire dinner was absolutely flawless, with each course so completely unique and delicious--flavor, texture, color, and presentation all combined to make each dish spectacular. We were very proud to introduce our friends to this wonderful dining experience and were once again so pleased to be able to enjoy it right in our own neighborhood!Special Features:
- Wine Country GemOregonPinotChaserDined on 7/26/2014Among a small group of fine dining opportunities in the Willamette Valley wine country is this attentive gem in Newberg. As it should be, the food is the highlight, with a focus on organic, fresh ingredients. This kitchen staff pay attention to the details, and each main, as well as accompanying item is distinctively tasty and complementary to its partner components on the plate. With advance notice of food intolerances to gluten and dairy, a proactive inquiry by the reservation staff, the kitchen staff had made sure we had options at every course. Service staff is friendly and attentive, if a bit too dressed up for a wine country dining experience for our taste, creating a more formal dining experience. Spend the evening through 8-courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rdmillDined on 7/25/2014One of the many trendy contemporary restaurants serving very small portions of fussy often over-worked food. Only a few courses lived up to its reputation. Service was spotty considering it pretentions to fine dining. Nice atmosphere. Perhaps foodies will enjoy the experience more than I did.Special Features:
- The Best in Wine CountryPjacrouxVIPDined on 7/25/2014The Painted Lady's consistent high quality of food and service has put her at the pinnicle of fine dinning in Oregon Wine Country. The wines selected for pairing varied from quality Oregon Pinot Noir from small, new wineries to obscure Spanish sherries. Service was impeccable. It was a great dinning experience.Special Features:
- Armstrong VineSirEataLotDined on 7/24/2014Outstanding meal and service. Vibrant, exciting dishes with terrific variety and seasonal strengths. Highly recommended. Not inexpensive but worth the occasional splurgeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Outstanding evening, beginning to end. Food was imaginative and delicious, wine was excellent, service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Miss the Painted LadyRogerinSeattleVIPDined on 7/19/2014What a stand out meal! Amazing service, too - even though the patio was full, the hostess prepared a table for us on the porch. Fantastic wine list. The corn pudding was unlike any I'd had before. Everything far exceeded our expectations.Special Features:
- Five star delight in a small townOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014Three hours of comfortably-spaced courses--not the "if you paid this much, we'll let you hang out as long as you like". This was "we are pleased you are here and we will let you enjoy the wonderful scope of our courses along with the superb wines and you'll not even notice that time has flown". Wonderful service, knowledgable staff, quiet elegance.Special Features:
- The "Shining Star" of OR Wine Rest.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Elegantly prepared and presented seasonal food, served by a well coordinated team of servers. Excellent selection of wines, which are expertly paired with each course, if you wish, or choose your own. Very comfortable atmosphere, in stylish setting. A very special evening, indeed!Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningfoodloverVIPDined on 7/18/2014Went with a fixed menu and wine pairing..no real decisions to make so we could just sit and take all of the evening in. Server was approachable and more than willing to entertain us with vineyard details as we wished. Be prepared to pay for such a wonderful experience but everyone should do this…at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as alwayssandybDined on 7/17/2014I have eaten here a half dozen times. We plan trips to the Portland area so that we can schedule a dinner at The Painted Lady. The service is exemplary. Waitstaff is knowledgeable about the menu and the many wines. Food is always wonderful and seasonal. Will go back as often as possible.Special Features:
- Disappointing, won't returnfood4thoughtDined on 7/16/2014This was our first time at The Painted Lady. Sadly, the food was disappointing. Puzzling emphasis on Asian cuisine in the small plates, and both entrees were poor. The "slow roasted" salmon had to be sent back because it was raw. When returned, the salmon was punitively overdone. Worse, it had no mitigating seasoning or flavor, and the accompanying puree was equally dreary. The other entree was only slightly better. Regretted the elective wine pairing option; the wines chosen were more OK than outstanding, and did not seem to be inspired matches for the food. Bottom line - we will not return to The Painted Lady, nor recommend it to friends. It was an expensive experience & we will remember it, but not for the reasons we had hoped.
- Amazing!GaryDined on 7/5/2014This place is truly one of the finest restaurants in Oregon. Our sommelier Matthew is outstanding--his wine pairings are perfect.Special Features:
- Never FailsPlenowVIPDined on 7/5/2014Fourth annual trip to Willamette Valley and fourth trip to The Painted Lady. Great food, wonderful service. Menu changed since last year, only one menu to select (choices possible on about three courses) vs. the previous five or seven course set menu. Consistently good, should not be missed when in the area.Special Features:
- Traveling from Bostonbonedoc2Dined on 7/2/2014Had an amazing 6 course meal paired with wines. Service was impeccable. Each course was a culinary delight. Haven't experienced a meal this good since we lived in Toronto. Was pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrMomVIPDined on 6/28/2014Tasting menu in a charming Victorian style house (aka a Painted Lady) setting. Each course was beautiful to look at and delicious to taste. Lots of very fresh seasonal items. Servers were friendly and knowledgable.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseCarmelValleyDiningDined on 6/27/2014Wonderful food and service, in a somewhat "quirkily" atmosphere. We made a reservation based on Zagat high rating but didn't really know what to expect. Although it was a bit pricey, it was worth it. Would recommend it to anyone visiting in the area.Special Features:
- DisappointedConsistentVIPDined on 6/26/20144th visit to The Painted Lady. Have had wonderful times there and exquisite dishes. For whatever reason, they seem to have shifted to a more Asian flair. Disappointing. Asian theme overused everywhere. We like Asian food, just not expecting it here. The evening was further dampened by a party at a nearby table who we'll call sticks in the mud to be nice. We take many pictures because we were on vacation. These fools were bothered by the flash and came over to ask us to stop taking pictures, further hindering our evening. May go back but considering we're from South Florida and they're in Newberg, Oregon, we may choose other establishments in the area.Found the person that waited on us to be less than humble. Nearly $300 tab.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/25/2014Service is impeccable. Food is beautifully presented and wines are nicely paired with each course. Would like to see more emphasis on NW wines rather than world wide as it used to be. Or perhaps give options of world wide or local. There is enough selection and variety in this area to do that. Restaurant tables are situated a bit too close thereby losing privacy. It is still worth a visit as the food is truly outstanding and the service friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- OutstandingLisaVIPDined on 6/22/2014Outstanding food and service. We had a wonderful fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Incredible dining experience!BillVIPDined on 6/22/2014Without sounding over the top, this place is over the top. But in a great way. Absolutely perfect service combined with delicious food. Best meal for us in a long while (and we've had some pretty good meals!). The only other thing else to point out is that it's prix fix. We are not usually fans of this thpe of dining. However, the portions were small enough so you didn't feel too full at the end AND each dish was exquisite. If you are visiting the Willamette Valley, don't miss this place -- a must visit.
- AndrewDined on 6/22/2014Outstanding dining experience! I had learned of this restaurant from a business partner who had dined at there in previous month and strongly recommended it. My wife and I decided to celebrate my birthday at The Painted Lady and we were not disappointed. We appreciate the skills required to create haute cuisine and have been able to eat at fine restaurants, from to New York to those throughout the world. The Painted Lady was on par with the best we have experienced. The elements and presentation of each course was a savory delight! Could not recommend it more highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John and Judy KlorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014The food was out of this world...lick your plate good! The portions are small but there are many courses. We were both stuffed at the end of the evening. Everything was delicious and impeccably presented. However, with tip, our bill for two people was just shy of $400. We had the fixed price menu and the wine pairing. That is excessive, even if the food and wine were great. You would think at the prices that they charge, they could have included a cup of coffee at the end without an extra charge. It was small but insulting.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningGourmetGuyDined on 6/20/2014My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at The Painted Lady recently. This is a dining experience that should be savored and remembered for a long time afterwards. The food, consisting of a tasting menu was innovative and flat out delicious! The staff was extremely knowledgable and very professional. Unlike many places currently, this is an elegant atmosphere, where one can have a conversation, and enjoy a romantic interlude. A great place for a special occasion, or to just enjoy wonderful food in a lovely setting.Special Features: