The Painted Lady
201 S College St
Newberg, OR 97132Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Painted Lady
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thepaintedladyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5035383850x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Allen Routt
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Offering our fine dining experience by Chef Routt at a multitude of venues.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant may be reserved for private events, seating up to 35 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Bagley 5035383850x
A word from The Painted Lady
Oregon's only AAA four diamond and Forbes four star restaurant, The Painted Lady in Newberg offers two tasting menus nightly celebrating the products of their local neighbors- Oregon's world class ranchers, farmers and vintners. Inspired by the grand tradition of restoring Victorian homes across America, the restaurant uses classic culinary techniques to create a stunning modern menu. With timeless grace and a contemporary palate, The Painted Lady is more than a restaurant, it is an experience to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Painted Lady - Best Restaurants in Newberg ›
The Painted Lady reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (101)fit for foodies (89)romantic (88)notable wine list (76)great for outdoor dining (23)neighborhood gem (23)hot spot (5)good for groups (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- FantasticPLB1Dined on 9/21/2014This was my first time to the Painted Lady and it was everything I had hoped it would be. Great food, great wine, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations exceeded!JanetEastmanDined on 9/19/2014We had read the reviews and media praise and expected a lot and the chef and his team delivered. Drew was a knowledgable, fun waiter. Each course was a delightful surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary dining experiencedelmardinerDined on 9/19/2014The Painted Lady is a gem with impeccable service and complex dishes. Each course was explained well by the staff and well spaced. They made accommodation by substituting different ingredients for fish and explained those as well. What a delight to have a quiet, elegant meal! Although this is an expensive "special occasion" restaurant, it is worth the splurge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Per Se of NewbergwellpleasedDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant reminded us of Per Se in New York City. The food was exceptional and the service matched the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining ExperienceJeanandrichDined on 9/18/2014If you're into fine dining in a sophisticated atmosphere, don't miss the Painted Lady. It's quite an experience with a beautiful setting, perhaps the best service we have ever had, and wonderful food. The menu is prie fixe with many small courses perfectly paced - so it's very relaxing. The service is attentive and spot on, never intrusive or overbearing, just always there at the right time. We got a great wine recommendation from our server after describing to him the type of wine we liked, and asking for something from the Willamette. He was also very nice in giving us some wing touring recommendations for the next day. All in all this was just a fantastic choice for a special meal.Special Features:
- Painted lady masterpieceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/17/2014Splurge and do the food wine pairing which is amazing. Remember this is a tasting menu type of restaurant so there is only one menu but you will get to pick when it comes to the 2 "main courses " and the dessert. Everyone left full except for one the male parties who dined with us. This is fine dining on steroids. The staff was very professional and Matt the sommelier was wonderful and sweet. He is wiser beyond his years. The food was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some surprises, not all good onesRLSPDXVIPDined on 9/14/2014We love The Painted Lady and have been dining there for a decade during visits to Oregon wine country. However, we failed to note that it's recently become a fixed-price, tasting only menu. In fact, that's not very well highlighted on their website either. So it came as a shock to find that we had signed on to an expensive 8-course chef's selection, taking 3 hours in total (served at a reasonable pace). The service was excellent, and the room pleasant (though not at the level of this new price point), which elevated our rating. The food, while well mostly executed, struck us as disjointed in approach. Successes were the dessert, miso soup, and the cheese plate; the main salmon course and agnolotti were poorly cooked and insipid.Special Features:
- Exceptional Food and ServiceAKFoodieDined on 9/13/2014Seven course meal with six wine pairings. Beautiful food presentations. Complex flavors and ingredients perfectly matched. Wines carefully selected to compliment each course. Service was impeccable. Master sommeliers were very knowledgeable. This was a 3 1/2 hour fine dining experience and I would highly recommend The Painted Lady for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destination/event wondermichaelrhDined on 9/13/2014Yes, the Painted Lady is expensive, but the food and service are exquisite! The staff did an admirable job of accommodating a variety of food allergies while still presenting an innovative, delicious meal. Our only complaint was that the restaurant was quite chilly, and they did warm it up a degree at our request. In their defense, it was almost 90 that day, and after a day of sightseeing, we did not have jackets to wear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best dining experience!WSGRunnerVIPDined on 9/12/2014This was a birthday celebration dinner and it was truly an amazing dining experience. We sat outside on the patio and it was very romantic. This 7 course meal was very unique. The presentation of each course was great as well as the taste. They went out of their way to take care of us at dinner and the chef even sent us home with a piece of chocolate cake as an extra birthday treat. Don't miss this restaurant the next time you are in Newberg.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014Good food but the"experience" was way too drawn out. Three hours later and only bites of food we were left tired and a bit unsatisfied.Special Features:
- superbTany011aDined on 9/12/2014Better than any restaurant in Portland, absolutely fantastic food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAJR1Dined on 9/10/2014On arrival we were greeted very warmly and given a choice of dining indoors or on the outside terrace. We chose to dine al fresco and were seated at one of three tables on the small terrace to the side. The set menu featured six courses plus an amuse bouche, sorbet and petit fours, with choices within three of the courses. Each course was prepared and presented perfectly and the meal as a whole featured a great variety of flavours and textures. The highlight for me was the braised short rib of beef, which melted in the mouth. A wine pairing option was available to complement the food, although we decided to make our own selections of Oregon & Washington wines. The service was very professional.The pacing was just right. A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible experienceGoodstuffDined on 9/7/2014Based on reviews, we tried this restaurant and was a little surprised at first that it is simply an old house. We were seated at our request on the patio as the weather was beautiful and began our 3.5 hour meal. Wine list was wonderful and our level 3 sommelier recommended a wonderful Pinot noir preceded by pear martinis which were amazing. Each course was beautifully presented and equally delicious. Portion size is small but it's a guarantee that you don't go away hungry. I have to say in my almost 70 years, it easily qualifies as one of the top few restaurants that I have ever enjoyed. Hopefully we can come back.Special Features:
- BwiseDined on 9/7/2014Great chef with good ideas. Some didn't work but most did. Service could be a little more attentive. Fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uwsdaveVIPDined on 9/6/2014We visited Portland during a west coast trip and had a terrific day in the wine country that was capped by a terrific meal at The Painted Lady. The menu was creative, the staff was serious about making the experience special and the night ranked with some of the best restaurants we've visited. In addition, we brought our infant daughter to the dinner and the staff was more than accommodating and friendly. We will definitely return when we visit the Portland area in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDiningluvDined on 9/6/2014Everything was perfect! Absolutely perfect! Food was unbelievable and service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long live fine dining...cluvDined on 9/3/2014Thank goodness! In a sea of trendy, too-cool-for-school restaurants that are more interested in their celebrity chefs than the diner's experience, it is SO refreshing to dine at a restaurant that handles all the details and delivers on every level. Exceptional service, beautifully prepared and presented dishes (not to mention absolutely delicious… who knew you could get wasabi in Oregon?), comfortable atmosphere. A perfect place to celebrate our first anniversary and they did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Our favorite little spot in YCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014This is our favorite restaurant for sure in Oregon and maybe anywhere. Definitely a dining experience to remember. Great idea for speacial date night or anniversary or something like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelin star caliber restaurantSdccDined on 8/27/2014This sophisticated food restaurant deserves to be reviewed by a Michelin critic and deserves at least one star Michelin rating. Excellent in all aspects.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great classic tasteRelaxedDined on 8/24/2014We ate outdoors on a beautiful evening. We were not rushed but each course was timely. A very good wine list but they also offer paring with each course which is great for those that do not want to study a wine list. Menu somewhat fixed but they ask for food allergies ahead of time and made great adjustments. Now one of my favoritesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- topnotchout4eatsDined on 8/23/2014Pricey prix fixe the only offering, but well worth it for a special occasion. Excellent service down to the smallest details (e.g.a white napkin on the table when you arrive for diners with light color skirt or trousers and a black one for diners with black skirt or trousers). Food very creative and well executed. Service very professional and nicely paced.Special Features:
- GREAT FOODprdunn3Dined on 8/23/2014The food was outstanding. My only complaint is that the dinner was over a 3 hour process. Would of been perfect if you could cut it down to 1 1/2 hours. After leaving we where hungry.
- The best food evereatupdrinkupDined on 8/22/2014I had the best meal of my life at The Painted Lady. The service was impeccable although we were made to wait for a long time instead of prior reservations. The food more than made up for it. The place is very pricey but totally worth it. They have a very small number of tables , the place is nice and quiet , also very formal.Special Features:
- Painted lady in newberg oregonGms84Dined on 8/22/2014Small Victorian home, amazing food, great value best service I've ever had. Did the wine pairings with the prie fixe menu, both wines and food were spectacular, service was first rateSpecial Features:
- UnexpectednanwagDined on 8/21/2014We knew it was the best place in town but we were blown away with the quality of the food and service! Only problem was the table was right in front of the door to the restroom and there was lots of traffic! Also it was right by the glare of the sun from the front door. If we would of had a decent table the evening would have been perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Painted Lady dinnerDMcdDined on 8/20/2014The dining experience at the Painted Lady was very good, as usual. The courses were well prepared and presented. The wine pairings were also very good. The ambiance was excellent. This was our fifth visit, and each time, the experience was very good to excellent. However, in our estimation, there has been a noticeable increase in costs and in the (required) number of courses. If one wishes outstanding food, but a more modest amount and number of courses, it is apparently no longer possible to just order a three or four course meal. My wife and I would like the option of choosing courses, not just staying with the fixed six course dinner. Excellent experience, but for this single exceptionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealEpicORDined on 8/20/2014Our visit to the Painted Lady was one of the high spots of the trip while in the Oregon wine country. Elegant and innovative courses are paired with exquisite wine. A meal to remember and savor!Special Features:
- amazing placeGreatdiningDined on 8/16/2014Not only is painted lady an amazing restaurant, you know they are special when they can easily adjust their menu for gluten and dairy free dining and make a wonderful dessert. Truly amazing. BRAVO.Special Features:
- awesomegruvenDined on 8/15/2014went for anniversary dinner, everything lived up to the prior reviews, food, service and setting, all perfect for romantic dinner. A bit quite, but overall quite lovely. The food was specifically outstanding.Special Features:
- Elegance in Oregon Pinot regionDrfoodieDined on 8/3/2014This fine dining spot is a must for foodies visiting the local Oregon Pinot noir region. The tasting menu is regionally and locally designed around the current season and a feast for the visual as well as the palate. One suggestion would be two versions of the tasting menu, one with fewer courses for those desiring a lighter meal after an afternoon of wine tasting. Looking forward to our next gastronomic adventure there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really impressive.EaterouterDined on 8/2/2014We are spoiled by all the amazing Portland restaurants and always have low expectations of restaurants elsewhere in Oregon. We have tried all of the other nice places out here (thistle, la rambla, Jory, recipe, etc). This place was fantastic, every dish was impressive and the desserts were creative and amazing. Beast level deliciousness, great service although the pacing was a little too slow. We did the caviar and foie add ons, both were great. Best place to have dinner in the Oregon wine country for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary experienceGetnoutDined on 8/2/2014We chose The Painted Lady for a special occasion and they did not disappoint. Fantastic food, no rush to experience it, attentive waitstaff and innovative wine pairings. We thoroughly enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestdoggedydaysDined on 8/1/2014Probably the best meal we've had in the Northwest, with service to match. There were an incredible number of amazingly prepared plates served over 2 1/2 hours.Special Features:
- Even better than before!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/31/2014We didn't think it was possible, but with the latest menu, The Painted Lady has outdone themselves! We have dined there many times and saw improvements where we didn't think any were possible and our two friends from the San Francisco Bay Area were completely taken with the food, service, and ambience. The entire dinner was absolutely flawless, with each course so completely unique and delicious--flavor, texture, color, and presentation all combined to make each dish spectacular. We were very proud to introduce our friends to this wonderful dining experience and were once again so pleased to be able to enjoy it right in our own neighborhood!Special Features:
- Wine Country GemOregonPinotChaserDined on 7/26/2014Among a small group of fine dining opportunities in the Willamette Valley wine country is this attentive gem in Newberg. As it should be, the food is the highlight, with a focus on organic, fresh ingredients. This kitchen staff pay attention to the details, and each main, as well as accompanying item is distinctively tasty and complementary to its partner components on the plate. With advance notice of food intolerances to gluten and dairy, a proactive inquiry by the reservation staff, the kitchen staff had made sure we had options at every course. Service staff is friendly and attentive, if a bit too dressed up for a wine country dining experience for our taste, creating a more formal dining experience. Spend the evening through 8-courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rdmillDined on 7/25/2014One of the many trendy contemporary restaurants serving very small portions of fussy often over-worked food. Only a few courses lived up to its reputation. Service was spotty considering it pretentions to fine dining. Nice atmosphere. Perhaps foodies will enjoy the experience more than I did.Special Features:
- The Best in Wine CountryPjacrouxVIPDined on 7/25/2014The Painted Lady's consistent high quality of food and service has put her at the pinnicle of fine dinning in Oregon Wine Country. The wines selected for pairing varied from quality Oregon Pinot Noir from small, new wineries to obscure Spanish sherries. Service was impeccable. It was a great dinning experience.Special Features:
- Armstrong VineSirEataLotDined on 7/24/2014Outstanding meal and service. Vibrant, exciting dishes with terrific variety and seasonal strengths. Highly recommended. Not inexpensive but worth the occasional splurgeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Outstanding evening, beginning to end. Food was imaginative and delicious, wine was excellent, service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.