The Painted Burro
219 Elm Street
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
The Painted Burro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepaintedburro.com/
- Phone: 6177760005x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday: 10am - 3pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar: Monday - Sunday untill 1am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Dante Bua
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our company has a catering department called Posto Mobile. See our website for more information. www.pizzeriaposto.com
- Entertainment: The Painted Burro is an energetic, fun atmosphere. There is music. It is not quiet. There may be bands on the occasions which warrant a little something extra.
A word from The Painted Burro
The Painted Burro is Davis Square's new upscale casual Mexican Kitchen & Tequila Bar from the family that brought you nearby Posto Restaurant. Our goal at The Painted Burro is to provide diverse food and drink inspired by Mexican culture using local ingredients. Imbibe on cocktails, craft beer and an extensive Tequila and Mezcal list in a fun and unique venue.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Painted Burro reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (87)fit for foodies (77)hot spot (72)vibrant bar scene (68)good for groups (68)great for brunch (39)special occasion (27)great for lunch (19)late-night find (17)romantic (11)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Excellent Modern Mexican SpotWillDined on 10/25/2014The inventive tacos were outstanding--the lengua special in particular was very tender and flavorful. The bartender couldn't make the drink I had in mind, but suggested their cranberry margarita to me, which turned out to be even better than what I had planned to order. Our server was affable, knowledgable, and very personable, although the attention and vivaciousness she brought to our table was lost when a huge party came and sat at several tables to our immediate right. Overall, an excellent meal, true to the integrity of classic Mexican cuisine, while incorporating surprising and delightful modern twists.Special Features:
- Fun vibe, great food!KatKerrDined on 10/24/2014Enjoyed the enchiladas, tacos and margaritas! A great date night spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!slightlyslantedDined on 10/24/2014My boyfriend and I went here on Friday and it was busy, but not crazy - we still had great service. We had chips and guac, which were very good, and tacos and the short rib. Everything was fantastic!Special Features:
- Good foodtdunn555Dined on 10/24/2014Very Davis Square in terms of the scene. The drinks were very strong, but also very small. The price seemed high given the food and portion size. It is an upscale Mexican resturant so not really traditional mexican food and more exotic. The overall location was great, but the did pack everyone in so there was very little room between tables and hard to more around. It was good for a place to do before a show, but don't know that I would go again just because I did not feel that I got my money's worth.Special Features:
- Happy at The Painted BurroBklyneaterVIPDined on 10/18/2014Visiting our son at Tufts for Family Weekend we took a large group to The Painted Burro for dinner on Saturday evening. Luckily we had made reservations well in advance because there was no hope of getting in without one on Saturday. Our large group didn't phase the staff one bit, and the service was remarkably efficient and pleasant. I was convinced by our server to try a bizarre sounding butternut squash bourbon cocktail which was absolutely delicious. And, of course, the food. Our table shared piles of nachos and quesadillas along with several bowls of quacamole. All was delicious and a great way to start us off. Got the 1/2 chicken as a main, with some sort of creamy rice and cooked plantains and I was very happy. No room for dessert!Special Features:
- Outstanding!KATIEROWDined on 10/14/2014We were blown away by the service we experienced! Our dinner was to celebrate a good friend moving out of town, and upon arriving to dinner we were graced with not only the entire staff wishing her well, but homemade decorations surrounding our entire table! The food and drinks did not disappoint, as they never do, and our waitstaff was attentive and FUN! The whole evening was the perfect sendoff and, although I can't say we were surprised, we were extremely impressed with the thoughtfulness and genuine care the entire house put into our night. This has been one of our favorite spots since its opening, and of course we will be back for more occasions in addition to our generally regular attendance -- thank you thank you thank you!Special Features:
- BrunchrobertDined on 10/12/2014The 3 of us has a pleasant and good mexican brunch. Great bean sauce! Noise level was energetic and waiters spoke in low voices. Everything had to be repeated. Suposed to be great for cocktails, but considering the time of day, we cannot verify that. The drinks we had were great for brunch, so it's probably true.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Carlos took great care of us and had a fantastic time with excellent food and drink.
- great bar, bad guacOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/9/2014great cocktails and beer list! Great assortment of tacos but guacamole was terrible and overpriced. Would recommend, but pass on the guac.
- Comida fantastica!YumyumDined on 9/27/2014First time here and the experience was fantastic. We ended up just getting apps, drinks and dessert, which was a great idea. The food was super tasty and filling and the bill was super reasonable. Highly recommend that you make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tequila…Oh my!NancyDVIPDined on 9/27/2014We enjoyed every morsel of amazing food we got at the Painted Burro. From the Chicharron and Mango to the daily dessert special. We enjoyed the margaritas but also decided to try a tequila flight. I never knew I liked tequila so much!Bravo Painted Burro…Bravo!Special Features:
- Great Margaritas and Tacos!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014This place came highly recommended for their Margaritas and they did not disappoint! Also, the tacos were outstanding! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!jacattackDined on 9/26/2014Went here for my birthday dinner recently, and it was my second time at the Painted Burro. We had a large party (10 adults) and I was very impressed by our waitress. Very attentive and knowledgeable of the menu. Our drinks and meals were brought out in a very timely fashion. No complaints whatsoever. Great job Painted Burro staff!Special Features:
- As always: a wonderful experienceDuncanDined on 9/25/2014I always have a great experience at the Painted Burro. The service is always superb, the food delicious, and the atmosphere perfect. This experience was no different, and it's why I could eat at the Burro multiple times a week without hesitation.Special Features:
- Slipping??mellenVIPDined on 9/1/2014Went on Monday night (Labor Day). The place was packed and extremely loud. Our waiter - while pleasant enough - made mistakes on every single thing we ordered. We were just ordering from the menu: no special requests, no substitutions. Food delivery was slow and the food was lukewarm on arrival. The carnitas taco had no real flavor except cilantro. The short rib taco was a greasy mess with a soggy tortilla. The special fajitas were supposed to be pork, but were clearly chicken. Hope it was just an off night as it's always been a reliable place.Special Features:
- Always great food and service!Kelly783Dined on 8/31/2014Went for brunch this past Sunday, food was great. I recommend the tres quesos burrito with chorizo and strawberry rhubarb margarita!!! Our server Ali was fantastic, she's served us twice now. Never been disappoints here.Special Features:
- Best Mexican in the NortheastMandieDined on 8/30/2014Since moving to Boston 3 years ago one thing that we have lamented over was the complete lack of good Mexican Food. A friend recommended the brunch at The Painted Burro and we were not disappointed. We brought another friend who had recently moved from Austin, TX and she loved her meal as well. I had the breakfast tacos and have to say that they were by far the best breakfast tacos I've had in the Northeast. The server was also knowledgeable about allergies (I'm gluten free) and it was easy to find gluten free menu items. The breakfast cocktails were some of the best we've had in a long time and my 5 year old ate every bite of her waffle (with marscapone whipped cream...yum!) and fruit, then ate some of my plantains as well.Special Features:
- Great food and servicezzfoodiesDined on 8/25/2014We went on a Monday night around 6:30pm :: food and service were outstanding. 3 flights tequila, Burro Colada, complimentary tortilla chips ( warm and the thicker kind) with a generous sized bowl of their own salsa. neither of us eat meat so we shared: “CHOLO” CORN COB (Outstanding!), ROASTED MUSHROOM & SPINACH FUNDIDO, KALE & PLANTAIN ; Dessert: Burro Chullos, and Cantalope Sorbet, coffee.Special Features:
- Fun Friendly And Good FoodstealtheldoradoDined on 8/22/2014My date was delayed an hour (uggh) but I had a great time. The food was terrific. The service was fast. The atmosphere was energetic. Highly recommend it. Sadly no wifi which I could have used to kill time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Upscale LatinMMFoodieDined on 8/16/2014A nice summer evening with the walls opened to bustling Davis Square. The menu was filled will different flavors, and the appetizers are worth sampling, even if you don't usually order them. The drinks were well prepared, the alcohol was not watered down with mixer as many places do for Margaritas. I would recommend the Pushcart Chicken for an entree. The Carne Asada was basically a grilled steak and boring in flavor. The accompanying watercress for the steak was a mess on the plate and was too balled up to make sense with a fork in polite company.Special Features:
- Specialty MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/14/2014The vegetarian options are great! There aren't a ton, but suplimenting with apps is good. They have inventive Mexican food, which winds up costing a bit more than any other Mexican place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyjenuphotoDined on 8/10/2014i thought the taco portions were small - tacos by nature are small - but would have expected 2 instead of one for the price. but really really good. would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Margaritas in DavisJDN014Dined on 8/9/2014Best margaritas in Davis Square, hands down. The food is delicious, too. Especially the guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Night to RememberTablefor8Dined on 8/3/2014A table for 8 with 4 separate checks. Sounds like a difficult assignment, but our waitress took it in stride. We made our reservations online just a day in advance then received a confirmation call asking if this was a special occasion. Nice personal touch! The table was centrally located near the open air windows and we were treated like rock stars. The service was outstanding! The menu selections are unique, and selecting just one dish is difficult. We come back because the food is excellent. The drink menu is just as enticing as the food menu. My mango margarita was a winner, and the habanero shrimp taco calls me back. This place is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgotten ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014I made a reservation 3 wks in advance for 8pm on 8/1 for 8. Someone called me the day of to confirm. When we arrived the 2 ladies at the front desk told me the table was almost ready and she would let us know when they were ready to seat us. We waited for over 20 minutes and then realized that another group was seated at the front center high top table the front desk had told me they were clearing for us. WHA? I thought since we arrived first, were ready AND had a reservation for the correct time we would be seated 1st, and at the idea table. I asked the front desk what happened and she said "it was a mix up, there's some confusion but we are clearing a table for you now". We weren't seated until 8:38 at a scrunched table in the back.
- Know what to orderOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014Nachos were tasty, and given the size of the serving, they were a bargain. The Oaxaca cheese grits, while inexpensive were without taste. My wife had an excellent short rib taco; and I had an excellent fried oyster taco that was a "special" offering for the day. The tasteless grits did not prevent a higher rating from me; but the tamale did. At $11 the single tamale, advertised as containing duck leg was way overpriced. There were, at most two tablespoons of duck contained at one end of the tamale. I enjoy tamales for their pronounced corn taste. Like the grits, this tamale lacked a strong taste of corn. Coincidence? Go for the nachos and some tacos; and you will have a meal worthier of a 4 or 5 star review.Special Features:
- Love their take on Mexican!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 7/20/2014Looooove their tacos, pork carnival and shrimp are great. Mahi Mahi was nice but lacked a little flavor, as did the guacamole. Drinks were tasty and strong, highly recommend the cucumber. So refreshing! The gran Partida is great too.love dining here, and esp love that they have their own parking lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine timeAverageVIPDined on 7/13/2014Very good food and service. Great Sangria. I would recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Love the tacos and the tequilatracyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Such great choices here keeps us coming back! Love Painted Burro and their specialty oyster taco available this outing was so yum! Chip & guac + Salad appetizer + Three tacos + Margarita = Too much food! Lucky we could bring it home and enjoy it again. This is definitely a favorite of both my husband and me.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Food was very good, drinks were excellent. Service was very good. Dining room a bit busy and loud - just what I expected - would certainly return.
- Great Drinks and TacosLivvyG23Dined on 7/11/2014I got a couple mango margaritas and they were delicious. The BLT tacos are a special find, made with generous chunks of pork belly. My friend really enjoyed the $8 Coronita/tequila shot pairing.Special Features:
- Brunch is also great!emondDined on 7/6/2014We've been going to the Painted Burro for dinner since it opened and have always had great food, service, and experiences. Brunch did not disappoint. Waitstaff is knowledgeable and helpful and the food was excellent; we were happy to have leftovers for dinner! Try the Hair of the Dog drink...It's incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burro so-so tonight.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2014July 5: partially full restaurant. Service very, very slow and confused (but cordial). Husband's specialty cocktail was undrinkable (but that's often the case with these odd drinks). Fish in cerviche was not really fresh. Fish tacos very good. Chips great as always. Have been here about 5 times--so maybe just holiday weekend not good time to go.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/3/2014Loved the food and the service....our waiter was outstanding and he really paid attention to us and our needs.Special Features:
- Great local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/2/2014I've been to the Painted Burro a couple times now and have been very pleased so far. The ambience is really cool, they have a great beer selection and the food has always been great. I'm still working my way through their selection of tacos but I hear the regular entrees are really great as well. They always have a taco special, the last time I went it was a fried oyster taco with a chipotle aioli and it was wicked good. It's definitely not the cheapest place to eat, I think you pay a little extra for the atmosphere they offer. Overall I am a fan and would recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 365 reviews are from the The Painted Burro reviews archive.
- Excellent Dinner with friendsWhyccoftDined on 7/2/2014We were all first time diners although have eaten at the sister restaurant Posto. The food and service were superb, the noise level very high, but would certainly return and will very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive taco!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2014The food was great, but we had a pretty simple meal- chips and guac, margaritas and two tacos each and the bill was over $80. I want to love this place, but the prices will keep us from coming back very often.Special Features:
- amazingmeowdinnerDined on 6/28/2014GREAT restaurant. loved the a la carte tacos, and wonderful (and strong) house margaritas!Special Features:
- Fantástico!LaurelDined on 6/28/2014Packed on Saturday evening is a good sign that the Painted Burro is doing something right, and another good sign is hearing what I believe are the Spanish accents of the waitstaff and of diners near our table. My husband and I have been there twice and each time have enjoyed our entrees, mine the pork chop and enchiladas, respectively. The seasonings were not overwhelming. The service was efficient. Always the people you first meet set the tone of the establishment. The young women who greeted us have been down to earth and gracious.Special Features:
- Surprisingly kid friendly!csomervilleDined on 6/27/2014We were taking our niece out to dinner for her birthday (she just turned 9) before heading down to the Cirque du Solei show. We picked the Painted Burro because we figured she could get a taco or two and we were pleasantly surprised that they had a kids menu complete with a word find and crayons! It kept her nicely entertained through the adult conversation. Additionally the service and food were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.