The Painted Burro
219 Elm Street
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
The Painted Burro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepaintedburro.com/
- Phone: (617) 776-0005
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday: 10am - 3pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar: Monday - Sunday untill 1am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Dante Bua
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our company has a catering department called Posto Mobile. See our website for more information. www.pizzeriaposto.com
- Entertainment: The Painted Burro is an energetic, fun atmosphere. There is music. It is not quiet. There may be bands on the occasions which warrant a little something extra.
A word from The Painted Burro
The Painted Burro is Davis Square's new upscale casual Mexican Kitchen & Tequila Bar from the family that brought you nearby Posto Restaurant. Our goal at The Painted Burro is to provide diverse food and drink inspired by Mexican culture using local ingredients. Imbibe on cocktails, craft beer and an extensive Tequila and Mezcal list in a fun and unique venue.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Painted Burro - Best Restaurants in Somerville ›
The Painted Burro reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (80)fit for foodies (76)good for groups (71)hot spot (67)vibrant bar scene (65)great for brunch (37)special occasion (23)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (11)romantic (11)great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Disappointed...BetterFoodDined on 4/22/2014I was very disappointed with both service and food - first of all guacamole is tasteless, it is better if you buy at wholefoods. Servers and hostess both had attitude - first of all, this was the first ever restaurant I experienced that I have to ask water to be refilled. No one paid any attention what-so-ever for our table. All the food I ate, I was relieved that some has taste. Drink is also nothing to say. Chocolate cake was the only good food I found. Very disappointed.
- Always Deliciousfoodie89Dined on 4/16/2014The food is always good no matter what you choose! I brought a bunch of out of town friends and we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun night outMangeDined on 4/12/2014We had reservations for 2, on a Sat. PM. Two fiends wanted to join us and the staff accommodated-not the usual treatment in Boston restaurant. They scored big in our book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experienceMaryVIPDined on 4/11/2014We go to PB once or twice a month, and think the food has steadily improved since it opened. It's very good Mexican food, with very good offerings of the usual suspects but with very unique dishes as well. Service is always friendly. It's always packed and pretty loud so be prepared for that. Extensive tequila menu, great beers on tap.Special Features:
- The shrimp appetizer and fishOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/8/2014The shrimp appetizer and fish taco were both fishy (not fresh) tasting. The rest of the food was also underwhelming.
- Delicioso!kelliecartDined on 4/5/2014Fabulous drinks and the most amazing fish tacos. I love how you can order the amount of tacos that you want.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceDevonGreenDined on 4/1/2014Really enjoyed ourselves. The food and cocktails were great especially the duck enchiladas. Loved the guac with pork belly as well. Want to have exact same meal again very soon. The service was quick and friendly too.Special Features:
- Great Margarita!ChloeDined on 3/28/2014I had the mango margarita and can't stop thinking about how good it was. They don't use sour mix. The street car chicken was also amazing. The food and drinks are excellent. The service is good and perhaps above average. The bar scene was busy and has a night club feel with dance music. However, the bar is on the other side of the restaurant so the restaurant side doesn't hear the music and is more dining atmosphere. The only negative is that it is very loud but it really didn't pose a problem. It was a busy fun delicious experience and certainly people know about it because both the bar and restaurant were full with people waiting to get in so you may want to make a reservation in advance.Special Features:
- Great night outoutoftownerDined on 3/28/2014I have friends that live in other neighborhoods around the Boston area that every few months 'cross the river', 'come into the city' just to go out to this place. Food is great and reasonably priced and the drinks never disappoint. The servers are knowledgeable about the menu and always have great suggestions when you're torn between two dishes or just want to try something new.Special Features:
- Not super authentic, but theW000Dined on 3/24/2014Not super authentic, but the food was good. Nachos and tacos are HIGHLY recommended. The BLT taco was delicious. Be careful, though, because both tacos I had fell apart. They were still worth it, though and I wouldn't order any differently. Portions are decently sized. Nachos fed a table of 6 for an appetizer (though that's probably the upper limit), and two tacos was just the right portion for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great brunch spotonetwothreefourfiveDined on 3/23/2014Fantastic breakfast burrito, and lots of tasty sounding breakfast entrees and cocktails. However, the highlight of the brunch was the horchata iced coffees! So delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!CarolinaDined on 3/23/2014We went with the kids for brunch, it was great for the entire family. Delicious food, and good customer service! We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Painted Burro gets better + betterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2014Ive been coming here since they opened and they just keep getting better and better! Thanks again for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunchk6121cDined on 3/16/2014Delicious! Especially loved the giant horchata. One of the few places in the area that takes brunch reservations, which made planning so much easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGoodEatsDined on 3/15/2014Awesome find! One downfall is parking so be prepared (or take public transit). Other than that A++ service and food. Will visit again!Special Features:
- A gem!AtowndinerDined on 3/15/2014Superior Mexican food is hard to come by, but without being too fancy or pretentious, Painted Burro is DELICOUS, above average Mexican cuisine! Great festive ambience, good service... a little loud on a Saturday, making conversation a little challenging, but well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service unevenDavisSquarePatriotDined on 3/9/2014Love the food. Yet service is always iffy: water refills usually just stop coming, and chips, though always available, are rarely proactively brought out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food Bright & EarlyDuncanDined on 3/9/2014I had no idea the Painted Burro had brunch until it popped up on OpenTable as an option, and one look at the menu shot it to the top of the list. I'm very happy to say that the experience did not disappoint - the crabcake benedict was absolutely delicious, my cup of coffee kept me going after moving the clocks ahead - I will very happily come back for another brunch. It's nice to have a menu that goes a bit beyond the basic brunch stand-ins, and the Painted Burro does just that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing mexican and margaritaswineANDdinerDined on 3/8/2014kale salad is amazing, love all the tacos especially the short rib ones, cucumber margarita is delicious, super refreshing, and not too sweet! had a special appetizer- lobster parfait thing with corn...also amazing. have been to painted burro many times and i am going to keep coming back!Special Features:
- Wish they would update menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/2/2014Wish they would update menu and add more vegetarian options. The current veggie enchilada is a snore.Special Features:
- Great first experience; will returnSuburbanfoodieDined on 3/1/2014Our server was delightful -- both parties in our group were delayed due to parking issues and she didn't appear to be the slightest bit bothered and was lovely and attentive throughout the meal. Loved the guac that's provided to all guests. Menu items are on the innovative side. Had the chard and plantains as an appetizer (yum) and two tacos for my entree -- one grilled zucchini and one mahi mahi. The tacos are small (6") and intended to be mixed and matched. The accompaniments (in the tacos) were more interesting than the norm, but not overly flavorful. Some eviewers indicated the restaurant could be noisy, but we were seated against the back wall, which provided a quieter spot for conversation. Prices were reasonable and decor tasteful.Special Features:
- Not in loveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014The ambiance and drinks were great, but the food was average. The food was not terrible, but nothing to really rave about or come back for.If I knew parking would be such an issue, we would have went somewhere else. Pineapple habanero margarita was bomb tho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Tacos and MargaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2014I tried the cucumber margarita and liked it. Fish tacos and veg tacos were delicious. Good atmosphere .. a little on the noisier side on saturday nights, if you want to have a conversation. I'll visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We arrived about 15 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014We arrived about 15 minutes early for our reservation and were able to be seated. The hostess and wait staff were accommodating, friendly and informative. Our food and drinks were served promptly but we never felt as if we were being rushed. The food was very good. We all enjoyed our meals. The only criticism (a slight one) would be that they do not give you enough chips and salsa to start although they are very willing to refill them when asked. All in all, it was a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "fancy" mexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/1/2014Wanted to love the Burro - but just ok. The salmon special was very good. The spicy margarita was delicious and quite spicy. The other mexican food - very average. I had the duck enchiladas and it just didn't work. The guacamole was average, the salsa was good. Would not rush back with so much good mexican go choose from. That being said - it's a great location, the interior is festive and pleasant and our waiter could not have been friendlier. Also very good beer selection.Special Features:
- It was too loudasdfDined on 2/21/2014The ambience was too loud, which made it hard to enjoy the delicious food. The service was great though.Special Features:
- Arguably Best Mexican in BostonHCBridgeDined on 2/21/2014I love this place. I moved to the area from the midwest about 3 years ago, and I was massively unimpressed with the local Mexican food...until I discovered the Painted Burro. All of the tacos I've had a great, and the poblano rice is amazing. If you like spice, try the El Diablo Margarita...hands-down the best (and spiciest) cocktail I've had in greater Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service.MaryVIPDined on 2/20/2014We have been to the painted burro a number of times and it keeps getting better. Interesting food choices, great drink menu including the expected tequila but also lengthy beer list. Staff is friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not your normal Mexican restaurantFozzDined on 2/16/2014The food at the painted burro was very delicious, a step up up from other Mexican restaurants. For an appetizer we had the corn cob which was creamy yet had a spicy kick to it. For entrees, we had The braised pork shank and the chicken milanesa sandwich. Both were great. The sandwich's bread was very soft and the guacamole was the perfect complement to the chicken and cheese. The sweet potato and collard greens that accompanied the pork were Wonderful. We can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went here for valentine'sSamHDined on 2/14/2014Went here for valentine's day and everything was great! I would definitely recommend the painted burro to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's HitMrsBVIPDined on 2/14/2014Three cheers for The Painted Burro! LOVED the Valentine's menu and the fact that you didn't *have* to stick to it, because the whole menu was available. As always the drinks were lovely and strong, wait staff friendly and warm and the tacos...oh yum!Special Features:
- Excellent Mexican RestaurantDemosDined on 2/14/2014The Painted Burro is an outstanding restaurant in every respect. We go for special occasions for its great food and atmosphere. Definitely not your typical Mexican restaurant in Boston. A cut or six above in every respect without going all formal!Special Features:
- BrunchCFB3Dined on 2/1/2014Great experience overall. Started with the pork belly app which was sweet and delicious although I wish it had some fresh chilies to make it spicier. Ordered the chilaquiles and superbeasto. Awesome flavors and all components were perfectly cooked and well balanced. Wish they had an option with steak. Blood oj margarita packed a nice punch; the mimosa was a bit milder for those that want to go lighter on the booze. Def recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerFenwayResidentDined on 1/31/2014First timer. Had heard good things. Shocked by smallness of menu... Usually Mexican is much more expansive. (No steak fajitas?!?) Carne asada tacos were so-so. Shrimp ones were a bit better.
- Great foodMarioDined on 1/25/2014Enjoyed a wonderful dinner with family. Food was first class, service was great!!'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great if you want a collegeabcdDined on 1/18/2014Great if you want a college crowd and OK Mexican Food. Too noisy.Special Features:
- outstanding serviceflemingDined on 1/17/2014Super busy Friday night. The hostess stand was a little disorganized but our server was so wonderful. She was quick polite and helpful. Probably the best service I've ever had in Boston. She knew what we wanted before we asked.the food is tasty. Very rich and well prepared but $9 guacamole will always break my heart no matter how good it is.Special Features:
- Met with two of my best friends.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/16/2014Met with two of my best friends. Host was very nice, accommodated us right away at a high top near the window. Service was a bit slow but no big deal as we were comfortable chatting. Delicious meal, as always. Margaritas on tap is a great gimmick and they are tart but tasty.Special Features:
- Delectable MexicanEschmaDined on 1/8/2014A unique and tasty spin on mexican food, the menu has a good variety of options of properly portioned items. The nachos were also especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute, upscale Mexican spotdocjenVIPDined on 1/1/2014Decent food, good service, cute ambiance (although the music was pretty loud!). Might be a little overpriced for the quality.Special Features: