The Painted Burro
219 Elm Street
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
The Painted Burro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepaintedburro.com/
- Phone: 6177760005x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday: 10am - 3pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar: Monday - Sunday untill 1am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Dante Bua
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our company has a catering department called Posto Mobile. See our website for more information. www.pizzeriaposto.com
- Entertainment: The Painted Burro is an energetic, fun atmosphere. There is music. It is not quiet. There may be bands on the occasions which warrant a little something extra.
A word from The Painted Burro
The Painted Burro is Davis Square's new upscale casual Mexican Kitchen & Tequila Bar from the family that brought you nearby Posto Restaurant. Our goal at The Painted Burro is to provide diverse food and drink inspired by Mexican culture using local ingredients. Imbibe on cocktails, craft beer and an extensive Tequila and Mezcal list in a fun and unique venue.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Painted Burro - Best Restaurants in Somerville ›
The Painted Burro reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (96)fit for foodies (83)vibrant bar scene (72)hot spot (71)good for groups (70)great for brunch (37)special occasion (27)late-night find (23)great for lunch (20)kid-friendly (11)romantic (10)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Consistent standoutsrapalyeaDined on 5/18/2014The several times I've eaten at the Painted Burro have been wonderful dining experiences. Two visits were for special occasions with groups of 7 and more. The service was attentive, the food excellent and we were never rushed. Many restaurants rush their customers in order to turn over tables and this was not the case at the Painted Burro. I anticipate returning on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placenewyokohamaDined on 5/17/2014Awesome food, very good drinks, all while having open windows facing Davis Square for people-watching. Get the corn, and a few a-la-carte tacos and you'll be happy. No rice and pico de gallo and big sour cream pile with your taco order, but isn't that all just heavy filler anyway?Special Features:
- The Burro is my jam.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2014A Diablo, a carnitas taco and fish taco. Life is perfection.Special Features:
- localdinerVIPDined on 5/12/2014Mexican food well done ! strong drinks ! a great blend of flavors ranks as one of the top Mexican restaurants in the Boston area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day brunchTabletalkDined on 5/11/2014Special place for the special occasion. The Painted Burro lived up to recommendations from friends. Great food and service. Seating was good. We really enjoyed everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wicked Awesome !!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We have been to the Painted Burro 3 times now(1 for Brunch - 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner. Each time our experience was positive. The nachos are the best we have "ever" had and we have had a lot of nachos. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting twist on Mexican foodmukaikuboDined on 5/10/2014It's like fancy Mexican food - the menu has what you expect (tortas, tacos, enchiladas) but when you look at the details they are unique! I tried the short rib taco and the crispy fish taco - both were really good, and two tacos is a good-size meal for about $16. My companion went with the pork carnitas, which were good, but he didn't like the red wine & cola mole. The server was very knowledgeable and helpful, the drinks came out quickly and were tasty. The place was full so I'm glad we had a reservation (definitely recommend for weekend dinner hours). The whole dining area is noisy, so I wouldn't call it a romantic hideaway! But the food was interesting and good, so we'll be back.Special Features:
- Fresh and deliciousJRStickDined on 5/9/2014This was my first visit to the Painted Burro after hearing a lot of good things. Surprisingly, my first taste was not so much the mexican-flavors they're known for but a beautifully prepared grilled trout entree that showed the quality of the chef's skills in the kitchen. I can't wait to get back and try some tacos but I highly recommend the nightly specials if they continue to be so fresh and delicious (seasonable and reasonably priced as well). I will go again...soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014We've had Mexican food in Mexico, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Texas, and Chicago, and this was some of the best we've had anywhere. Fantastic selection of beers and tequilas! Great atmosphere and decor.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysIndustryInsiderDined on 5/8/2014Always good, always rowdy, in a good way. Lively and fun. A little slow this time but that happens. The server made sure that we were comfortable and our drinks were full during our slightly longer than normal wait. We really appreciated that. Not a huge fan of their Old Fashion variant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spotJessVIPDined on 5/6/2014Great service, good food, and generally a fun spot to hang out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, pretty good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/4/2014The food is great! I especially like the nachos. I've had them twice now. The mahi-mahi tacos are also excellent. I've had two different margaritas and both were quite tasty. The servers seem to be universally friendly, if a little absent. I imagine this could be solved by hiring one or two others a shift, as they seem quite competent and interested in helping the customers. However, both times I've been to the restaurant, my party would sit for relatively long stretches without seeing our server.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic brunch and iced coffeeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2014great food and great drinks- horchata iced coffee - wow!Special Features:
- Painted Burro is a go-to.adventurousdinersVIPDined on 5/3/2014Guac in a small silver bowl threw us off, but it was delicious; fantastic chips. Tacos are great; the grilled fish, lamb with different salsas were filling and enjoyable. We wished the tortillas had been grilled or warmed. Sangria wasn't worth it, but the margaritas were great. Service with a smile was refreshing! Fun, lively atmosphere.Special Features:
- Energetic, no, downright noisy!DeliciosoDined on 5/2/2014Service and portion sizes were all over the place. The noise level is unreal! It made it difficult to order , converse or socialize. My portion of Mahi Mahi Taco, when it finally arrived, was appetizer size, the portion was sooooooooooo tiny I had to order another one, and I don’t eat much. Other guest’s portions were about average size or even large and cost less than mine. Very good avocado dip, and their tortilla chips are great and not greasy. My Agave Margarita was served in a high ball glass, what's up with that? and was tiny not very good and pricey as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/1/2014The fish tacos and margaritas were amazing. Unfortunately our server lost our order and we waited a long time to get our food. They did send us some free guacamole due to the inconvenience, but that was only after I asked. Other than that this was a great place.Special Features:
- Disappointed...BetterFoodDined on 4/22/2014I was very disappointed with both service and food - first of all guacamole is tasteless, it is better if you buy at wholefoods. Servers and hostess both had attitude - first of all, this was the first ever restaurant I experienced that I have to ask water to be refilled. No one paid any attention what-so-ever for our table. All the food I ate, I was relieved that some has taste. Drink is also nothing to say. Chocolate cake was the only good food I found. Very disappointed.
- Always Deliciousfoodie89Dined on 4/16/2014The food is always good no matter what you choose! I brought a bunch of out of town friends and we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun night outMangeDined on 4/12/2014We had reservations for 2, on a Sat. PM. Two fiends wanted to join us and the staff accommodated-not the usual treatment in Boston restaurant. They scored big in our book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experienceMaryVIPDined on 4/11/2014We go to PB once or twice a month, and think the food has steadily improved since it opened. It's very good Mexican food, with very good offerings of the usual suspects but with very unique dishes as well. Service is always friendly. It's always packed and pretty loud so be prepared for that. Extensive tequila menu, great beers on tap.Special Features:
- The shrimp appetizer and fishOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/8/2014The shrimp appetizer and fish taco were both fishy (not fresh) tasting. The rest of the food was also underwhelming.
- Delicioso!kelliecartDined on 4/5/2014Fabulous drinks and the most amazing fish tacos. I love how you can order the amount of tacos that you want.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceDevonGreenDined on 4/1/2014Really enjoyed ourselves. The food and cocktails were great especially the duck enchiladas. Loved the guac with pork belly as well. Want to have exact same meal again very soon. The service was quick and friendly too.Special Features:
- Great Margarita!ChloeDined on 3/28/2014I had the mango margarita and can't stop thinking about how good it was. They don't use sour mix. The street car chicken was also amazing. The food and drinks are excellent. The service is good and perhaps above average. The bar scene was busy and has a night club feel with dance music. However, the bar is on the other side of the restaurant so the restaurant side doesn't hear the music and is more dining atmosphere. The only negative is that it is very loud but it really didn't pose a problem. It was a busy fun delicious experience and certainly people know about it because both the bar and restaurant were full with people waiting to get in so you may want to make a reservation in advance.Special Features:
- Great night outoutoftownerDined on 3/28/2014I have friends that live in other neighborhoods around the Boston area that every few months 'cross the river', 'come into the city' just to go out to this place. Food is great and reasonably priced and the drinks never disappoint. The servers are knowledgeable about the menu and always have great suggestions when you're torn between two dishes or just want to try something new.Special Features:
- Not super authentic, but theW000Dined on 3/24/2014Not super authentic, but the food was good. Nachos and tacos are HIGHLY recommended. The BLT taco was delicious. Be careful, though, because both tacos I had fell apart. They were still worth it, though and I wouldn't order any differently. Portions are decently sized. Nachos fed a table of 6 for an appetizer (though that's probably the upper limit), and two tacos was just the right portion for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great brunch spotonetwothreefourfiveDined on 3/23/2014Fantastic breakfast burrito, and lots of tasty sounding breakfast entrees and cocktails. However, the highlight of the brunch was the horchata iced coffees! So delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!CarolinaDined on 3/23/2014We went with the kids for brunch, it was great for the entire family. Delicious food, and good customer service! We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Painted Burro gets better + betterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2014Ive been coming here since they opened and they just keep getting better and better! Thanks again for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunchk6121cDined on 3/16/2014Delicious! Especially loved the giant horchata. One of the few places in the area that takes brunch reservations, which made planning so much easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!AtowndinerDined on 3/15/2014Superior Mexican food is hard to come by, but without being too fancy or pretentious, Painted Burro is DELICOUS, above average Mexican cuisine! Great festive ambience, good service... a little loud on a Saturday, making conversation a little challenging, but well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service unevenDavisSquarePatriotDined on 3/9/2014Love the food. Yet service is always iffy: water refills usually just stop coming, and chips, though always available, are rarely proactively brought out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food Bright & EarlyDuncanDined on 3/9/2014I had no idea the Painted Burro had brunch until it popped up on OpenTable as an option, and one look at the menu shot it to the top of the list. I'm very happy to say that the experience did not disappoint - the crabcake benedict was absolutely delicious, my cup of coffee kept me going after moving the clocks ahead - I will very happily come back for another brunch. It's nice to have a menu that goes a bit beyond the basic brunch stand-ins, and the Painted Burro does just that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing mexican and margaritaswineANDdinerDined on 3/8/2014kale salad is amazing, love all the tacos especially the short rib ones, cucumber margarita is delicious, super refreshing, and not too sweet! had a special appetizer- lobster parfait thing with corn...also amazing. have been to painted burro many times and i am going to keep coming back!Special Features:
- Wish they would update menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/2/2014Wish they would update menu and add more vegetarian options. The current veggie enchilada is a snore.Special Features:
- Great first experience; will returnSuburbanfoodieDined on 3/1/2014Our server was delightful -- both parties in our group were delayed due to parking issues and she didn't appear to be the slightest bit bothered and was lovely and attentive throughout the meal. Loved the guac that's provided to all guests. Menu items are on the innovative side. Had the chard and plantains as an appetizer (yum) and two tacos for my entree -- one grilled zucchini and one mahi mahi. The tacos are small (6") and intended to be mixed and matched. The accompaniments (in the tacos) were more interesting than the norm, but not overly flavorful. Some eviewers indicated the restaurant could be noisy, but we were seated against the back wall, which provided a quieter spot for conversation. Prices were reasonable and decor tasteful.Special Features:
- Not in loveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014The ambiance and drinks were great, but the food was average. The food was not terrible, but nothing to really rave about or come back for.If I knew parking would be such an issue, we would have went somewhere else. Pineapple habanero margarita was bomb tho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Tacos and MargaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2014I tried the cucumber margarita and liked it. Fish tacos and veg tacos were delicious. Good atmosphere .. a little on the noisier side on saturday nights, if you want to have a conversation. I'll visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We arrived about 15 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014We arrived about 15 minutes early for our reservation and were able to be seated. The hostess and wait staff were accommodating, friendly and informative. Our food and drinks were served promptly but we never felt as if we were being rushed. The food was very good. We all enjoyed our meals. The only criticism (a slight one) would be that they do not give you enough chips and salsa to start although they are very willing to refill them when asked. All in all, it was a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "fancy" mexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/1/2014Wanted to love the Burro - but just ok. The salmon special was very good. The spicy margarita was delicious and quite spicy. The other mexican food - very average. I had the duck enchiladas and it just didn't work. The guacamole was average, the salsa was good. Would not rush back with so much good mexican go choose from. That being said - it's a great location, the interior is festive and pleasant and our waiter could not have been friendlier. Also very good beer selection.Special Features: