The Painted Burro
219 Elm Street
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
The Painted Burro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepaintedburro.com/
- Phone: 6177760005x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday: 10am - 3pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar: Monday - Sunday untill 1am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Dante Bua
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our company has a catering department called Posto Mobile. See our website for more information. www.pizzeriaposto.com
- Entertainment: The Painted Burro is an energetic, fun atmosphere. There is music. It is not quiet. There may be bands on the occasions which warrant a little something extra.
A word from The Painted Burro
The Painted Burro is Davis Square's new upscale casual Mexican Kitchen & Tequila Bar from the family that brought you nearby Posto Restaurant. Our goal at The Painted Burro is to provide diverse food and drink inspired by Mexican culture using local ingredients. Imbibe on cocktails, craft beer and an extensive Tequila and Mezcal list in a fun and unique venue.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Painted Burro - Best Restaurants in Somerville ›
The Painted Burro reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (104)fit for foodies (93)hot spot (89)good for groups (85)vibrant bar scene (80)great for brunch (43)special occasion (31)late-night find (27)great for lunch (23)kid-friendly (13)romantic (11)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014We went on a Monday night around 6:30pm :: food and service were outstanding. 3 flights tequila, Burro Colada, complimentary tortilla chips ( warm and the thicker kind) with a generous sized bowl of their own salsa. neither of us eat meat so we shared: “CHOLO” CORN COB (Outstanding!), ROASTED MUSHROOM & SPINACH FUNDIDO, KALE & PLANTAIN ; Dessert: Burro Chullos, and Cantalope Sorbet, coffee.Special Features:
- Fun Friendly And Good FoodstealtheldoradoDined on 8/22/2014My date was delayed an hour (uggh) but I had a great time. The food was terrific. The service was fast. The atmosphere was energetic. Highly recommend it. Sadly no wifi which I could have used to kill time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Upscale LatinMMFoodieDined on 8/16/2014A nice summer evening with the walls opened to bustling Davis Square. The menu was filled will different flavors, and the appetizers are worth sampling, even if you don't usually order them. The drinks were well prepared, the alcohol was not watered down with mixer as many places do for Margaritas. I would recommend the Pushcart Chicken for an entree. The Carne Asada was basically a grilled steak and boring in flavor. The accompanying watercress for the steak was a mess on the plate and was too balled up to make sense with a fork in polite company.Special Features:
- Specialty MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/14/2014The vegetarian options are great! There aren't a ton, but suplimenting with apps is good. They have inventive Mexican food, which winds up costing a bit more than any other Mexican place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyjenuphotoDined on 8/10/2014i thought the taco portions were small - tacos by nature are small - but would have expected 2 instead of one for the price. but really really good. would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Margaritas in DavisJDN014Dined on 8/9/2014Best margaritas in Davis Square, hands down. The food is delicious, too. Especially the guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Night to RememberTablefor8Dined on 8/3/2014A table for 8 with 4 separate checks. Sounds like a difficult assignment, but our waitress took it in stride. We made our reservations online just a day in advance then received a confirmation call asking if this was a special occasion. Nice personal touch! The table was centrally located near the open air windows and we were treated like rock stars. The service was outstanding! The menu selections are unique, and selecting just one dish is difficult. We come back because the food is excellent. The drink menu is just as enticing as the food menu. My mango margarita was a winner, and the habanero shrimp taco calls me back. This place is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgotten ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014I made a reservation 3 wks in advance for 8pm on 8/1 for 8. Someone called me the day of to confirm. When we arrived the 2 ladies at the front desk told me the table was almost ready and she would let us know when they were ready to seat us. We waited for over 20 minutes and then realized that another group was seated at the front center high top table the front desk had told me they were clearing for us. WHA? I thought since we arrived first, were ready AND had a reservation for the correct time we would be seated 1st, and at the idea table. I asked the front desk what happened and she said "it was a mix up, there's some confusion but we are clearing a table for you now". We weren't seated until 8:38 at a scrunched table in the back.
- Know what to orderOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014Nachos were tasty, and given the size of the serving, they were a bargain. The Oaxaca cheese grits, while inexpensive were without taste. My wife had an excellent short rib taco; and I had an excellent fried oyster taco that was a "special" offering for the day. The tasteless grits did not prevent a higher rating from me; but the tamale did. At $11 the single tamale, advertised as containing duck leg was way overpriced. There were, at most two tablespoons of duck contained at one end of the tamale. I enjoy tamales for their pronounced corn taste. Like the grits, this tamale lacked a strong taste of corn. Coincidence? Go for the nachos and some tacos; and you will have a meal worthier of a 4 or 5 star review.Special Features:
- Love their take on Mexican!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 7/20/2014Looooove their tacos, pork carnival and shrimp are great. Mahi Mahi was nice but lacked a little flavor, as did the guacamole. Drinks were tasty and strong, highly recommend the cucumber. So refreshing! The gran Partida is great too.love dining here, and esp love that they have their own parking lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine timeAverageVIPDined on 7/13/2014Very good food and service. Great Sangria. I would recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Love the tacos and the tequilatracyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Such great choices here keeps us coming back! Love Painted Burro and their specialty oyster taco available this outing was so yum! Chip & guac + Salad appetizer + Three tacos + Margarita = Too much food! Lucky we could bring it home and enjoy it again. This is definitely a favorite of both my husband and me.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Food was very good, drinks were excellent. Service was very good. Dining room a bit busy and loud - just what I expected - would certainly return.
- Great Drinks and TacosLivvyG23Dined on 7/11/2014I got a couple mango margaritas and they were delicious. The BLT tacos are a special find, made with generous chunks of pork belly. My friend really enjoyed the $8 Coronita/tequila shot pairing.Special Features:
- Brunch is also great!emondDined on 7/6/2014We've been going to the Painted Burro for dinner since it opened and have always had great food, service, and experiences. Brunch did not disappoint. Waitstaff is knowledgeable and helpful and the food was excellent; we were happy to have leftovers for dinner! Try the Hair of the Dog drink...It's incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burro so-so tonight.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2014July 5: partially full restaurant. Service very, very slow and confused (but cordial). Husband's specialty cocktail was undrinkable (but that's often the case with these odd drinks). Fish in cerviche was not really fresh. Fish tacos very good. Chips great as always. Have been here about 5 times--so maybe just holiday weekend not good time to go.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/3/2014Loved the food and the service....our waiter was outstanding and he really paid attention to us and our needs.Special Features:
- Great local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/2/2014I've been to the Painted Burro a couple times now and have been very pleased so far. The ambience is really cool, they have a great beer selection and the food has always been great. I'm still working my way through their selection of tacos but I hear the regular entrees are really great as well. They always have a taco special, the last time I went it was a fried oyster taco with a chipotle aioli and it was wicked good. It's definitely not the cheapest place to eat, I think you pay a little extra for the atmosphere they offer. Overall I am a fan and would recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner with friendsWhyccoftDined on 7/2/2014We were all first time diners although have eaten at the sister restaurant Posto. The food and service were superb, the noise level very high, but would certainly return and will very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive taco!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2014The food was great, but we had a pretty simple meal- chips and guac, margaritas and two tacos each and the bill was over $80. I want to love this place, but the prices will keep us from coming back very often.Special Features:
- amazingmeowdinnerDined on 6/28/2014GREAT restaurant. loved the a la carte tacos, and wonderful (and strong) house margaritas!Special Features:
- Fantástico!LaurelDined on 6/28/2014Packed on Saturday evening is a good sign that the Painted Burro is doing something right, and another good sign is hearing what I believe are the Spanish accents of the waitstaff and of diners near our table. My husband and I have been there twice and each time have enjoyed our entrees, mine the pork chop and enchiladas, respectively. The seasonings were not overwhelming. The service was efficient. Always the people you first meet set the tone of the establishment. The young women who greeted us have been down to earth and gracious.Special Features:
- Surprisingly kid friendly!csomervilleDined on 6/27/2014We were taking our niece out to dinner for her birthday (she just turned 9) before heading down to the Cirque du Solei show. We picked the Painted Burro because we figured she could get a taco or two and we were pleasantly surprised that they had a kids menu complete with a word find and crayons! It kept her nicely entertained through the adult conversation. Additionally the service and food were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChrisVIPDined on 6/26/2014The friendly, attentive service was the best thing about our visit. Shrimp appetizer was tasty and very garlicky. Entrees were underwhelming. The duck enchiladas came with a too-sweet mole sauce. The chef was generous with the duck and stingy with the beans, which ended up being a sad little pool hiding under one enchilada. Friend ordered two tacos and only got one small, 1/4-cup side of beans. Painted Burro - beans are cheap! Why not give more? Not sure if I'll give them another try or not.Special Features:
- First TimerFirstTimerDined on 6/24/2014I went out to dinner during the week and it was my first time here. The margaritas and food we delicious! Not your typical Mexican food you would eat at Margaritas, real genuine authentic Mexican. The margaritas were the best I had!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDavisSquarePatriotDined on 6/22/2014Love the food here, and the fact that you can usually get in without needing to book ahead too much. That being said, given how great the chips and salsa are, its always sad that I have to proactively ask for it!Special Features:
- amandaamaeVIPDined on 6/21/2014loved the squash blossom appetizer and the drinks were great too! will be back to try moreSpecial Features:
- Fun - not typical mexican fareOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014Came here on a saturday night, the scene was great, the bar was busy. Loved the drink menu and tequila flights, service was excellent as well. Food was good, but not really what I was expecting. Had a Torta, but should have ordered a taco or other entree I think...very heavy and not really mexican that I'm familiar with. So, if you're looking for the traditional "loco taco" type thing, this is not your spot. If you're looking for great drinks, guacamole, salsa, and other new items, I'd recommend it. Would definitely try again and order differently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tacos!annakristina28Dined on 6/15/2014I've been here twice now - one small celebration and one large. Both times, the food was excellent and I loved the ambiance. The tacos are especially tasty, and so are the churros!Special Features:
- delicious, fun, will be back soon!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 6/14/2014Nice tequila and cocktail list, tasty tacos, nice atmosphere with wide open windows on warm days, couldn't ask for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodlvfoodDined on 6/7/2014the food was great..menu I think is a little limited. It was a bit too noisy as far a music, we had a hard time hearing the wait staff. Wait staff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just OkJHarschDined on 6/7/2014First time at the restuarant, I like the atmosphere...I ordered the red sangria at the bar and the batch had gone bad, it was gross. The bartender was nice enough about it and got me a different drink and apologized. Guacamole didn't have much flavor, our tacos were yummy though! Good margharitas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, but expensiveloopsonflowersDined on 6/5/2014The Painted Burro executes well on its Mexican theme, with a large variety of options. Menu highlights include the kale and plantain salad, and Oaxacan grits. The downfall of this menu is that the portions are quite small for the price. One taco, for example, is about $7.50. With drinks and appetizers, the night can easily cost nearly $100 for a dinner for two. Again, the food is excellent, but the prices come as a surprise for a night out for Mexican food.Special Features:
- Food: high and low pointsGingernaiDined on 6/1/2014Kale salad great, pork belly in guacamole was chewy and leathery, burritos flavorful but huevos had way too much sauce and starch, unbalanced.
- Great Food and ServicesvillefoodieDined on 5/31/2014AMAZING food, drinks, and great service. The noise level is just a tad too loud at times, but OK to have a normal conversation. Definitely need a reservation, usually the waits are over an hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Great StaffSimplePleasuresinDiningDined on 5/24/2014I've never gone wrong when heading to the Painted Burro - the food is delicious - fabulous combinations you wouldn't necessarily expect in something like a taco. The staff is great as well... The many smaller local touches make this place a real gem!Special Features:
- Authentic MexicanTamieLVIPDined on 5/24/2014It is very hard to find authentic mexican restaurants in Boston. Most of the places are Tex-Mex. Painted Burro offers both the atmosphere and cuisine of a mexican restuarant without overplaying the theme. I will definitely enjoy going here this summer but I will stay clear of it as soon as students are back as it is a very popular hangout spot.Special Features:
- Consistent standoutsrapalyeaDined on 5/18/2014The several times I've eaten at the Painted Burro have been wonderful dining experiences. Two visits were for special occasions with groups of 7 and more. The service was attentive, the food excellent and we were never rushed. Many restaurants rush their customers in order to turn over tables and this was not the case at the Painted Burro. I anticipate returning on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placenewyokohamaDined on 5/17/2014Awesome food, very good drinks, all while having open windows facing Davis Square for people-watching. Get the corn, and a few a-la-carte tacos and you'll be happy. No rice and pico de gallo and big sour cream pile with your taco order, but isn't that all just heavy filler anyway?Special Features:
- localdinerVIPDined on 5/12/2014Mexican food well done ! strong drinks ! a great blend of flavors ranks as one of the top Mexican restaurants in the Boston area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.