The Oxford House Inn
548 Main St
Fryeburg, ME 04037Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Oxford House Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oxfordhouseinn.com/index.php/restaurant-dining
- Phone: 2079353442x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Seven nights a week, 5:30pm - 9:00pm (Bar opens at 5:00pm)
Hours may change seasonally. Please reserve ahead.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Spak
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Oxford House Inn
Culinary Institute of America graduate Chef/Co-Owner Jonathan Spak crafts his seasonally changing menus to showcase the best that local farms have to offer in the farm to table concept. While overall his style is considered contemporary American cuisine, influences and techniques from Asia, Southwestern United States and France are often incorporated. Hand cut steaks, fresh Maine seafood, homemade pastas, fresh salads and decadent desserts are creatively presented. Choose to dine fireside, on our popular screened in front porch, or on our glassed in back porch that offers spectacular sunset mountain views. You may also dine at JONATHAN'S, our lively pub. We have been given Four Stars by The Maine Sunday Telegram and named "Best In-Town Maine Inn" by Yankee Magazine. Please note that specific table or dining room requests made through OpenTable may not be available. Please call us directly if you have a dining preference.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Oxford House Inn - Best Restaurants in Fryeburg ›
The Oxford House Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (35)special occasion (34)scenic view (30)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (23)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed it so much that we booked another reservation for this weekend to celebrate our son-in-law's new teaching position. It's everything that a fine restaurant should be--good food, well prepared and innovative, well chosen and inexpensive wine list, outstanding service, tasteful decor, well separated tables, and lovely setting. What more can I say.Special Features:
- Visited for our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014My steak was very good, wife's burger was somewhat tough and dry. The service was not as expected. Waitress seemed too busy to attend us.Special Features:
- The Best Keeps Getting BetterKEDinesDined on 8/13/2014One of the best, most satisfying meals I have ever eaten. Not a wrong step in four courses! The gazpacho was beautifully seasoned, with just enough heat to make it interesting, and the fresh corn melded in so well with the other vegetables that you wondered why no one had thought of this combination before! The organic field green salad with beet curls, sunflower seeds, and local blue cheese was dressed with the perfect sherry vinaigrette. The half-portion of house-made ravioli with roasted vegetables, home-made Italian sausage, and a very light pomodoro dressing with basil was a fabulous blend of flavors and textures. Finally, the deconstructed s’more was the best of its kind I’ve ever tasted. Perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining2todineDined on 8/13/2014We were seated as soon as we arrived the atmosphere was that of a relaxed dinner the wine and cocktail list was vast. The waitress was very efficient the meals were per portioned just right didn't feel rushed at all and had a very enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three for DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014We stopped at the Oxford Inn for a modest meal after driving from Vermont and returning to Sebago. We only had entrees. It took some time for the meals to arrive and, unfortunately, my seared tuna was cold and the rest of our meals were only warm. We felt that the waitress was pre-occupied and somewhat mechanical in her attention. We have gone often over the years but this was not the same experience. Hope it is only a anomaly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic CharmKeithDined on 8/8/2014One of my favorite restaurants, my wife and I have dined here often. The food is always very good. The staff are cheerful and pleasant. In fact they go the step further to help diners make substitutions from the menu. If you want a quiet evening with a few friends, great good and the warmth of a caring restaurant staff, dine here.Special Features:
- PacmanVIPDined on 8/7/2014Great food and atmosphere. Try a cocktail at sunset on the back lawn and finish with dinner on the screened porch. Very old New England atmosphere with 2014 trending food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- isk1isk1VIPDined on 8/5/2014The view was fabulous, overlooking the white mountains at sunset. Could not have been a better view. My partner's meal was delicious. I ordered mussels which were tasty but very, very spicy. Given the waitress told me that another dish I was thinking about ordering was very spicy and I told her I could not eat spicy foods, it would have been helpful if she had told me the mussels were spicy as well. I still recommend the restaurant and would go back again.Special Features:
- Great Food!catlikesfoodDined on 7/28/2014If you're tired of the same few restaurants that you usually frequent consider giving The Oxford House in Fryberg a try! We made a spur of the moment reservation on our way back to Conway from Bridgeton, ME. I don't know how we missed this great spot! The view is gorgeous - request the back room if you are interested, the Inn is beautiful, the service is top notch and the food and cocktails are spectacular! There is also a screened in wrap around porch that dinner is served on weather permitting! We ate there later the same week because the whole experience was THAT good! Treat your taste buds and Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Waitress/ Bad SeatMichaelVIPDined on 7/19/2014I've been a regular customer to this restaurant and have always have had an excellent experience other than this time. I specifically asked for a great seat that has a great view through Open Table for my 29th Anniversary with plenty of notice. When we got there, we were told by the hostess that the table wasn't available nor any other decent table. She sat us at a table facing a wall. When I complained, she said without emotion that there were no other tables for at least 45 minutes. I asked why didn't she let me know after I gave so much notice. She specifically said that she doesn't call people back from Open Table and if I had called her on my own, she probably could have accommodated. How disappointed!
- Wonderful dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Wonderful meal, lovely ambiance, great service. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view. Delicious food!SplankyDined on 7/14/2014We enjoyed our anniversary dinner here. The food was interesting and well prepared. The server was pleasant and informed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful sunset views!EganrossDined on 7/12/2014Great menu to accommodate all budgets - and the food is outstanding!Special Features:
- SneezyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience from the watermelon mojito to the creative desserts. Cocktails outside with the mountain view added to the great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!BostonphotobillVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was the best dinner we have had in Mt. washington Valley in the twenty past years we have been going there.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014I feel like a broken record each time I write a review for the Oxford Inn. This is such a great find in Fryburg, ME. We're across the border in Conway, NH and we can't believe we found a restaurant right down the street that compares to the restaurants we frequent in the Boston area. The food is finely crafted. Menu changes regularly so you can always find new offerings. Jonathan and his wife, Natalie, and the wonderful waitstaff make your dining experience a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Local GemLovellLocalDined on 7/5/2014I've been dining at the Oxford House for quite a few years now, and give it the highest possible recommendation. The food is inventive and unusual, in a very good way. Smart enough for the most savvy foodie, and yet appealing to all palates. While everything we ordered was outstanding, the Summer Corn, tomatoes and garlic scrapes chip and dip was memorable. Their take on that old favourite, S'mores, is unbelievable. Don't miss it. It won't be around forever, as the menue is seasonal and local. Excellent wine and beer selection too.Special Features:
- We will be back!RossDined on 6/30/2014We loved it! This was our 1st time for both my husband and I. We are very used to the busy scene of a restaurant and it was nice to not have that. We actually got to slow down, and have an enjoyable night away from kids and stressed familys ! The food and atmosphere was unbelievable and the service was great! We never felt forgotten about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveMaine21VIPDined on 6/28/2014this is probably the finest place to eat the the Lakes Region that I know of. Nice menu; pleasant atmosphere; excellent service. High qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighrhood GemluvgoodfoodDined on 6/13/2014The Oxford House never ceases to amaze us with delicious appetizers, entrees and desserts. Also the wine list is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Keeps Getting Better….KEDinesDined on 6/12/2014I've been dining at the Oxford House Inn (and staying in their wonderful rooms upstairs) for many years now, and the entire experience just keeps getting better. Dinner last night with my daughter was outstanding; I had the maple-glazed pork loin, which was tremendous, and came with a leek/asparagus/smoked Gouda bread pudding and braised greens - fabulous! My daughter thoroughly enjoyed the Thursday night special - steamers with a choice of preparations (she chose Parisian - highly recommended!) - $11.95, including a glass of wine. We shared fabulous appetizers - chicken and lemon grass dumplings, and a playful mozzarella "brûlée" - salad, and dessert. The service is friendly and the meal well paced. What a treat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/12/2014Great spot, will definitely return. Fabulous views of sunset from back porchSpecial Features:
- Oxford Inn never failsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014This chef owned Inn is a wonderful find in Fryeberg, ME. We have been many times and each time it's a wonderful dining experience. They have an extensive gluten free menu and are most accommodating for all needs. The prices are very reasonable and the dining experience beyond compare to the pricey Boston establishments we've been to. They make menu changes regularly which always presents some surprises when we go. The waitstaff is attentive. You're never rushed.Special Features:
- Wonderful Mother's Day Brunch!lilbyrdieDined on 5/11/2014We've been here before for dinner and decided to try it out for a Mother's day brunch. We had our 2-year old with us. The service was great and had no problem catering to our child, though they didn't have any high chairs available (they might have all been in use). This wasn't a problem at all, though. The food was terrific. From the lobster Eggs Benedict that wasn't soggy nor slathered with too much sauce (such as many places do) to the stuffed french toast with blueberries and ricotta, everything was fantastic.Special Features:
- Always excellentlynetteDined on 5/10/2014The oxford house never disappoints. We stayed overnight so were able to have dinner and the mothers day brunch! When in Maine I must have lobster, so for dinner I had the lobster caraonara, exquisite and full of all my favorite foods, and for brunch lobster benedict, and the best bloody mary I have ever had.Special Features:
- Food great; kids, not so muchJenniferVIPDined on 5/9/2014Oxford House Inn is one of our favorite neighborhood places. What I don't understand is why a place of such quality would allow children to play with loud (audible, no ear phones) tablets when I'm shelling out over $50 for dinner. Make it stop!Special Features:
- White Mountain FindPacmanVIPDined on 5/7/2014Great restaurant in an out of the way place. Wonderful mountain views from the back porch and a fun front porch for summer dining. The food is exceptional for a spot so far from Portland. The downstairs bar is reminiscent of old Europe. Stone and Granite blocks and a nice selection of liquor. Don't miss it.Special Features:
- The following 153 reviews are from the The Oxford House Inn reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/15/2014The atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly. The service was outstanding. The food was superior. A very excellent dining experienceSpecial Features:
- a foodie find in FryeburgCAtoMEDined on 3/30/2014three of us went to the Oxford house Inn for dinner and it was so good. our meals were just the right size - my son's NY steak was around 8ozs and it was delicious - my husband and I had the burgers and these were grass fed meat and so good on a home made bun. The celeryroot and apple soup was perfect and our desserts of sorbets was the icing on the cake - so good especially the lemon honey rosemary sorbet - keep this one on the menu forever - it is a keeper. We will be coming back soon - worth the drive from Gorham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long time local favoriteMikeDined on 3/13/2014Oxford Inn is a nearby Mt. Washington Valley gem and worth the short drive for the unique food offerings and the age of the inn itself and styleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great MealHistorygirl1Dined on 3/5/2014Eating at the Oxford House Inn is always a special occasion. The three times I have eaten there during the past year and a half, the food is both interesting and delicious, the service is always very good and the ambiance is elegant without being ostentatious. It is quiet and not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placetapcrossDined on 2/22/2014The food was excellent but a little to expensive for casual dining. And in my opinion should be reserved for special occasions or a rare treat.Special Features:
- Maine at its beststylieneatsDined on 2/16/2014Well worth the drive over from Lovell. My wife and I enjoyed every moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, as alwaysNickVIPDined on 2/15/2014Our fifth visit to the oxford house did not disappoint. Wonderful dinner, quiet dining room in front of house, great service. Lobster tail and filet were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect in every wayJfadmdVIPDined on 2/14/2014Fantastic Valentine's Day dinner . Ever changing menu always intriguing and delicious . Setting and service superb .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as alwaysSusanDined on 2/1/2014Dinner was excellent. The food, selection, presentation and taste were wonderful. The service and atmosphere just perfect. . Would not hesitate to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it always!! Food, atmospheregardenerDined on 12/31/2013Love it always!! Food, atmosphere and service!! :) Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unanticipated DELIGHTbirdyDined on 12/30/2013Found the Inn via the internet, and what a find! The pear-ginger cocktail was a delightful launch to a pitch-perfect meal. The scallops, greens, risotto - laced with maple syrup and bacon - were an explosion of deliciousness with each bite. Service just right - timely, attentive, respectful. We will make the trip just to dine here again. Wonderful new year's discovery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was outstanding! OurjaygDined on 12/21/2013Food was outstanding! Our server was very helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- A wonderful meal in a lovely InnLukiDined on 12/8/2013Two of us were offered the table in front of the fireplace. It was a cold December night and the fire was delightful. We asked if we could be out in an hour and a quarter as we had a function to go to. The service was friendly, competent and efficient. I had Salmon done perfectly with a crispy top and The other meal was filet mignon done perfectly as well, both with tasty sides and a Demi glacé. I would go back on a flash, the cocktails were very good as was wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.