The Oval Room
800 Connecticut Avenue
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Oval Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ovalroom.com/
- Phone: (202) 463-8700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm , Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tony Conte
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The newly renovated Oval Room has 2 private party rooms accommodating 20 to 75 guests for a seated dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Ashline 2024638700x
A word from The Oval Room
The Oval Room, an elegant & sophisticated restaurant, near Farragut Square across from the White House, which accounts for its popularity among politicians, journalists, lobbyists, lawyers, & former Presidents. The setting is contemporary & chic. It offers private dining. Its seasonal contemporary American cuisine has charmed critics & connoisseurs alike. USA Today said The Oval Room's flower-bedecked patio is one of the best outdoor dining experiences in the United States. The Oval Room has been awarded the "Distinguished Restaurant of North America Award".The Oval Room is honored to be Modern Luxury Washington D.C.’s “Restaurant of the Year”! Executive Chef Tony Conte and his team are serving some incredible, seasonal dishes and would love to see you at The Oval Room soon. To read the Modern Luxury Washington D.C. story, please visit:Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Oval Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Oval Room reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)special occasion (97)romantic (52)great for lunch (42)great for outdoor dining (35)notable wine list (34)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (23)hot spot (12)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Save your moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014If you want to dine in a restaurant that looks good and has excellent service, The Oval Room is the place. But if you care about food, go somewhere else. The portions were small, and the food was, at best, mediocre. Our first courses tasted fine but were miniscule and our entrees were really just one step above airline food. I had rather tasteless beef that was past medium rare as ordered. Only the whole grain risotto was really good. Even the dessert fell flat -- a pear tart with undercooked pears. Had been so looking forward to a really special meal. Did not get one.
- MikeDined on 11/8/2014Food was very good but the portions were very small. Not a great value. The service was outstanding. The sommelier was a touch arrogant.
- Consistently goodTJfoodieVIPDined on 11/6/2014Brought special out of town guests here for dinner. Food was terrific. Service staff was savvy and attentive without being cloying. Sommelier Alek is a star!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/6/2014The Oval Room is as good as ever. The bar menu is one of the best deals downtown.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014The décor after the renovation is very nice and although the noise level was relatively high when the dining room was full, they honored our request for a quiet table which we appreciated. All of the food was very good!Special Features:
- OmahaDined on 11/1/2014Incredible food, great service, good prices. Real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Place with Wonderful FoodCriticalEyeDined on 10/30/2014The Oval Room's renovation was worth the wait. The staff are extremely accommodating for all requests, and make you feel like either royalty or family, or perhaps royal family. The food is absolutely beautiful and pic-worthy, and of course, delicious. The foie gras is so mild, it doesn't even taste like meat. Fish dishes are cooked to perfection, which is difficult, and the various meat dishes are spectacular. Overall, a genuinely delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business dinner spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Fantastic service and food. Owner stopped at our table which was impressive. Knowledgeable waiter and professional staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- krgeatsDined on 10/25/2014A truly marvelous and delectable dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegantWonderfulVIPDined on 10/25/2014I have dined here before and have found this to be consistently great. Great service, elegant setting, good food. I especially enjoyed the beet salad.Special Features:
- Appears to try hard, but falls shyewATLDined on 10/24/2014The menu looked well thought out with nice cross selection of proteins and creative preparations. My starter of "gently smoked sweetbreads" disappointed. My hesitation in the prep method was confirmed with under-done, unappetizingly pink sweetbreads where a considerable part of the connective tissue had not yet broken down. 5/5 diners ordered fish so admittedly not much variety in the feedback. When the kitchen ran out of one type of fish (3 had ordered), the maitre'd was kind enough to suggest a substitute fish in similar preparation and comp the entree. That was unncessary but welcomed and helped ease the disappointment of my starter. Service was smart, attentive and efficient and matched the white tablecloth environment suitably.
- impeccable servicevmcghieDined on 10/23/2014From the moment you arrive until you leave the attention is exceptional. Great for foodies searching for different and eccentric combinations of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary. The wait staff was very attentive and suprised us with a special dessert. They helped to make it a special evening. We will be going to Oval Room again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mitzoomieDined on 10/17/2014Opted for the tasting menu....all four courses were delicious. Afterwards, had the table side coffee...they brew it right there!Special Features:
- careful food and decorkgeeDined on 10/17/2014Lovely ambience. Carefully prepared food, interesting pairings. A bit skimpy on the sauces/broths but delicious. Tender and perfectly cooked sweetbreads, seafood/fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!DorianaVIPDined on 10/16/2014The Oval Room is our new favorite restaurant in Washington. We dined over SAUTEED FOIE GRAS (with Lychee, Passion Fruit, Black Olive Yogurt), ROCKFISH (with Spice Broth, Carrot, Shrimp Dumpling, Herb Salad), BUTTER ROASTED PRIME BEEF STRIP (with Cherry Mustard, Blu Cheese Gourgeres, Multigrain Risotto), and HAZELNUT FINANCIER (with Spiced Chocolate Ice Cream, Chocolate Mousse). The portions are modest and encourage multiple courses. Every dish was excellent and the service was superb. 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!RodVDined on 10/11/2014Celebrated our anniversary here and the Oval Room really went out of the way to make it special for us. We were seated at a nice quiet table with plenty of separation from other diners and we're treated to a champagne toast and a special anniversary dessert. Food and service were both excellent. We would definitely recommend the Oval Room as a place to celebrate your next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not Rasika!occasionaldinerDined on 10/11/2014The food was above average, but not exceptional. We had 1 order of duck, 2 snappers, and 1 lamb. The duck was very good and cooked to perfection. It was nice and quiet, even though it was mostly full in the restaurant. You couldn't listen in on anyone else's conversation, so they did a good job of sound-proofing the restaurant. Our server seemed to be very scarce- came by 20 minutes after we got there for a drink order, then not again for close to 30 minutes. We weren't in a hurry, so it wasn't a big deal. We had trouble finding her to get the check in the end.Special Features:
- LongtimerLongtimerVIPDined on 10/11/2014The Oval Room is one of our favorite restaurants; the food is always outstanding and the service impeccable. The amibance is pleasant; one can talk to one's fellow dinners easily, without shouting.
- Elegant,delicious,beautiful settingPamoochkaDined on 10/6/2014Refined elegant dinner with unusual and delicious combinations.Cocktails with housemade hazelnut milk or paw paw juice. Some bars advertise "specialty" cocktails - this place has truly special cocktails. Octopus is tender & NOT FRIED. Foie gras is exceptionally smooth & delicious.Rock fish is in a flavorful broth with shrimp ravioli that is ethereal & perfectly matches fish and broth. Duck is juicy with a crunchy "lacquered" crust. Desserts- rich and unusual - curry orange ice cream! The piece de resistance is the coffee "experience" at the end. Prepared table side, it produces a smooth, rich cup of coffee with absolutely no bitterness. Drink this & you will forget about lattes & cappuccinos & put away those expensive espresso machines!Special Features:
- Wonderful, as alwaysNMNSVIPDined on 9/30/2014Impeccable, friendly, attentive service; creative, and talented bartender; delicious, fresh, and creative food; on top of all that, the staff went out of their way to create a special evening for all of us and each of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with nice touchessithanasDined on 9/27/2014Tried Oval Room for my birthday (at no time did we tell the staff it was my birthday, though!). The food was consistently excellent across appetizer, entree, and desert. Service was good--we appeared to swap wait staff at the beginning of the meal but once that blip was overcome there was no issue with attentiveness. The staff also must have overheard us talking about my birthday because they brought out an excellent birthday dessert, compliments of the house. I was impressed overall. Sadly, you can't see the White House--at least not from where we sat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rethink the Menunot4forksbut2yucksDined on 9/26/2014I had the pumpkins, braised duck, pasta with kimchi. Terrible. The guest of honor ordered it as well. She couldn't eat much of it although she tried valiantly. I gave up. The donut holes weren't just dry, they tasted stale. The peaches were certainly not ripe--hard chunks without flavor. The mascarpone ice cream was delicious but not enough to save this dessert disaster. In fairness, another guest in our party enjoyed a fish dish. I regretted the entire meal. The service was great, and the restaurant itself is beautiful, a quiet oasis. The abstract expressionist art and stunning wall sculptures make this restaurant a place with much potential.
- I'm becoming a regularBacciVIPDined on 9/25/2014The peekytoe crab salad with a peach cocktail sauce is a must order appetizer. I ordered crispy snapper with lobster mushroom as my main course. The crispy skin was perfection with many notes of scrumptiousness. The portion size is perfect..enough to feel full and happy. The service was attentive. You can see the White House if seated at the right spot. I would return in a heart beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for business lunchMontagneDined on 9/25/2014good food, also good for light lunches if you wish so, place to be for business encountersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeddysVIPDined on 9/25/2014Excellent food and excellent service. All I could ask for in a business lunch when entertaining a client. Will be back many times in the future.Special Features:
- food was wonderful but left hungryLucyfurVIPDined on 9/24/2014We ordered a side of risotto to share. The portion would have been inadequate for one.Special Features:
- Excellent find near the White HouseBillVIPDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I celebrated a special occasion via a superb meal served outdoors. The Octopus starter was fantastic. Highly recommend the place!Special Features:
- Superb!SuzieVIPDined on 9/19/2014Positively a great dinner restaurant....even better the deck time. Will return again. Redo of decor a serious plus-plus but the food here reigns. The lamb chops were terrific and the risotto creatively prepared. It's a great choice for dinner....go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice updatesAjbafVIPDined on 9/19/2014The new decor looks lovely, nicely done. The food was fantastic. I would definitely recommend Oval Room for an elegant night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findBacciVIPDined on 9/19/2014Wonderful evening. Nice selection with knowledgable staff. It certainly meets the same standards of its sister restaurants Bombay Club and Rastika. Already made reservations for dinner next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tasting menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014Two of us had the tasting menu with wine pairings. Yellow fin tuna with spicy tapioca appetizer was unusual and was exceptionally flavorful. Butter roasted prime beef was melt-in-your mouth. The wine pairings with both of those courses were both perfect. The pairings with the other two courses were a bit disappointing, but an adventure just the same. Service was perfectly attentive, although oddly our server at the end of the meal was not the one we started with. Lovely, quiet atmosphere. Kudos to the bartender, who gave us a fun tutorial on gin before we were seated for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable in DCMAMinDCDined on 9/6/2014The Oval Room continues to improve every time we dine there. A wonderful modern note and twist to contemporary American-French cuisine, one is never disappointed. With beautifully set tables, in a lovely setting, and wonderful service, it truly is one of DC's best dining venues. The Sommelier, Alek, was excellent.Special Features:
- Great in-town diningCorbinVIPDined on 8/30/2014GREAT GREAT GREAT Food was WONDERFUL...unique menu...great portion size...the sauces were AMAZING Mixed drinks...different...as unique as the menu and every bit as good Service...made you feel special. We will be back!Special Features:
- Our Special PlaceWhiskeymanDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I have celebrated our Anniversary here for the last 5 years. Always special, this year simply outstandungSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4mefood4meVIPDined on 8/28/2014The dinner was good--fresh, nicely presented. The service was just fair--perhaps, a new server. I ordered a drink on the rocks and the hi ball glass was presented half full. I asked about the small drink ($14) and the response was "a full glass is double". A total turn off!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful meal, every person had something phenomenal! Our waiter was extremely helpful and gave us suggestions and tips on what was best on the menu and what he personally really enjoyed. Overall, everyone working there is very professional and obviously cares that the customer has an amazing experience.Special Features:
- New Oval Room Delivers BigCRCEatsVIPDined on 8/22/2014On our first time back to the new oval room we were very pleased; a special evening from beginning to end. Ross at the bar treated us all to a mixing demonstration as he handcrafted near perfect Manhattans, a Negroni, and a drink of his own concoction for our guest who wanted a "rum drink." We were well attended yet not rushed or interrupted with plenty of time for all to discuss and interact. It was a birthday dinner for six that ran at least three hours quite pleasantly. The menu selection was excellent for one that changes nightly, with something for everyone but not too many choices to have any weaker dishes. Each of the dishes our group selected was near perfectly prepared, elegant presentation, not too big portions, and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014we went during restaurant week. Good value, attentive service, great ambience.Special Features:
- FabulousNadiaDined on 8/19/2014Fabulous food, fabulous presentation, fabulous serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.