The Oval Room
800 Connecticut Avenue
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Oval Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ovalroom.com/
- Phone: 2024638700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm , Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tony Conte
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The newly renovated Oval Room has 2 private party rooms accommodating 20 to 75 guests for a seated dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Ashline 2024638700x
A word from The Oval Room
The Oval Room, an elegant & sophisticated restaurant, near Farragut Square across from the White House, which accounts for its popularity among politicians, journalists, lobbyists, lawyers, & former Presidents. The setting is contemporary & chic. It offers private dining. Its seasonal contemporary American cuisine has charmed critics & connoisseurs alike. USA Today said The Oval Room's flower-bedecked patio is one of the best outdoor dining experiences in the United States. The Oval Room has been awarded the "Distinguished Restaurant of North America Award".The Oval Room is honored to be Modern Luxury Washington D.C.’s “Restaurant of the Year”! Executive Chef Tony Conte and his team are serving some incredible, seasonal dishes and would love to see you at The Oval Room soon. To read the Modern Luxury Washington D.C. story, please visit:Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Oval Room reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (65)great for lunch (43)great for outdoor dining (37)romantic (37)notable wine list (23)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (14)scenic view (7)hot spot (7)great for brunch (5)late-night find (3)Show More
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful meal, every person had something phenomenal! Our waiter was extremely helpful and gave us suggestions and tips on what was best on the menu and what he personally really enjoyed. Overall, everyone working there is very professional and obviously cares that the customer has an amazing experience.Special Features:
- New Oval Room Delivers BigCRCEatsVIPDined on 8/22/2014On our first time back to the new oval room we were very pleased; a special evening from beginning to end. Ross at the bar treated us all to a mixing demonstration as he handcrafted near perfect Manhattans, a Negroni, and a drink of his own concoction for our guest who wanted a "rum drink." We were well attended yet not rushed or interrupted with plenty of time for all to discuss and interact. It was a birthday dinner for six that ran at least three hours quite pleasantly. The menu selection was excellent for one that changes nightly, with something for everyone but not too many choices to have any weaker dishes. Each of the dishes our group selected was near perfectly prepared, elegant presentation, not too big portions, and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014we went during restaurant week. Good value, attentive service, great ambience.Special Features:
- FabulousNadiaDined on 8/19/2014Fabulous food, fabulous presentation, fabulous serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingJodiVIPDined on 8/17/2014We're big fans of the Knightsbridge Group's places, but our experience wasn't up to the level others, especially 701 and Rasika, and especially regarding the food, which was good but flawed (e.g., stringy fibrous cooked greens, bread more chewy than fresh, rather dull pasta dish). Some dishes were, indeed, very good - a fluke carpaccio, an Asian rockfish dish. The servers were attentive but again, not at the level of professionalism we've come to expect at Knightsbridge. We used Restaurant Week to try it out, but wouldn't come back.
- Great experienceSirGuy15Dined on 8/17/2014We chose this restaurant to experience for DC Restaurant Week and we are so glad we did. The food & service were EXCELLENT. I had the chilled corn soup, wife-the roasted beets salad for appetizers; Main entrée -I chose the Salmon dish, my wife-the Pork Loin; for dessert we both had the chocolate Brownie. We enjoyed our food So----Much. Loved the wine, too. We felt quite satisfied after the meal. We will be returning to the Oval Room!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingAlbenaVIPDined on 8/16/2014This place is outstanding. The food and the presentation of the food is excellent. The wine list is great also. It is really nice inside but just a little cold. The service is good and the entire staff very attentive. highly recomending...Special Features:
- Delicious all the wayDCFoodieDined on 8/16/2014From greeting by the host, service, and amazingly prepared dishes this was a first class experience. I had been to this restaurant many times for lunch and visited this time for the restaurant week dinner. My appetizer, entree, and dessert (baby artichokes, jalapeño homemade spaghetti, and brownie) were clearly lovingly made and delicious. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Great food, great service. A great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Not my styleAFN21Dined on 8/15/2014I went to the oval room during restaurant week and was disappointed with the ambiance. I also heard the food was delicious and was looking forward to trying the lobster. This was unfortunately not on the menu, so I went with the salmon. It was good, but nothing spectacular. I was wanting something that stood out -- the sauce, the sides, something. Now, the food was far from terrible, but I went in with higher expectations and hopes of saying to my date "oh wow, you need to taste this!" I was also disappointed with the burrata appetizer and the dessert. I may come back when it is not restaurant week, but certainly not any time soon.Special Features:
- Outstanding RW menuRonGVIPDined on 8/15/2014We've been here many times and always enjoy the restaurant. The recent renovation has spruced up the interior, but the al fresco dining is still the same--and wonderful. There were so many good choices on the RW menu that we "may be forced" to return next week. Corn soup and crudo appetizers were amazing. And Tony prepares great fish dishes. The desserts were delicious, and we didn't even have the chocolate brownie. As always, it was great chatting with Christian and Simon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite back yetannfromdcDined on 8/15/2014I used to eat at the Oval Room before it closed for renovations. I don't think the food is quite back where it was. Actually, my meal was perfect but my companion's was less so. She asked for her steak to be medium and it came at least medium rare. It did get fixed quickly. Also the waiter pretty much disappeared after he delivered our first course. Another server was able to help with the steak re-do and get us our check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive ServiceNoBethesdaEaterVIPDined on 8/15/2014We dined for Restaurant week. They offered a strong menu of choices all good portion sizes and very attendtive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/14/2014This was my first time at this restaurant. The food was delicious, the service was great. Overall a great dining experience. The only thing I didn't like was the noise level. However, I'd absolutely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine foodfoodVIPDined on 8/13/2014Very nice restaurant overall. Very good service, accommodating when they can. We all had the meat and it was very tasty, tender and not greasy. We did not feel rushed at all yet very busy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KeronDined on 8/13/2014The food was average. It did not have vibrant flavors but was prepared very well. Great location and decor.Special Features:
- A truly DIVINE experience!EATinDCVIPDined on 8/13/2014The RW menu was sublime! They really take good care of you at the Oval Room-- there was no skimping and the meals were creative, top notch and delicious. Everyone who ate the iron steak -- at the first bite you could hear the audible sigh of delight and the sinking in to the chair to savor such perfection. We loved it so much, we were tempted to order another round right away-- but a few minutes later realized how full we already felt.. From the appetizer to the dessert -- everything was superbly delicious, absolutely no flaws! I even went back later in the week to bring new friends and try out other offerings-- this was definitely my top destination (by far) for restaurant week.Special Features:
- Restaurant week - okSFfromDCDined on 8/12/2014Really wanted to like the restaurant. Liked it much more last year which is why my group came back this year. Food was good - solid, reliable and tasty. Nothing really blew us away though. Noise level was high, which was surprising since there weren't a lot of people there.Special Features:
- Great date nightEBLizVIPDined on 8/12/2014My fiance and I had never been to Oval Room so we mad e a little Restaurant Week date night of it. The menu was pretty diverse for RW, though as someone who doedn't like mustard or pickled things, I had a bit of a challenge figuring out what to order. My appetizer (the Fluke Crudo) was stellar. The fish was so tender and so much flavor was packed into such a small package! I then had the salmon entree, and though it didn't say so on the menu, the sauce seemed to be mustard based, so I tried to stay a little away from that. The fish was cooked perfectly though and again was very flavorful. Scott had the rockfish which was a little bland for him. Dessert was great, and I was pleasantly surprised by how reasonable the wine list is.Special Features:
- Redone with a Young Crowd in MindJoJoVIPDined on 8/12/2014The "new" Oval Room has joined the young crowd, and, alas, as part of the old crowd we found it too noisy to enjoy conversation along with dinner. Wonderful beet salad and rockfish as part of Restaurant week. Desserts were not special. We will return only if we can sit outside, pity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The meal was excellent.MAQ1Dined on 8/11/2014The service was better than excellent, attention to our needs without being too intrusive. We asked for a new table for privacy and our wish was granted. I certainly will recommend this great restaurant to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/9/2014Lovely renovation! Restaurant continues to be on our go to list for inventive cuisine. All items on the menu are excellent. Our recent visit was with a group of five so we sampled many different items. The leek soup was excellent as was the foie gras and the crab salad. The lobster entrée and the rockfish were wonderful! Doughnut holes with the mascarpone ice cream are a great way to end a meal! Service is attentive and knowledgeable. All in all a great dining experience!Special Features:
- A Lovely Evening!NewFanVIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I were joined for dinner at The Oval Room by an friend who lives overseas and so it's always a special occasion when he's in town. We correctly predicted that the Oval Room would provide a memorable evening of good food, good drinks and impeccable but friendly service. We were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Oval Room continues to impressBLDiningDined on 8/9/2014We went to see the new decor which is very nice, though I'm probably one of the few who misses the great mural of their early days. The food continues to be consistently fresh and delicious, taking advantage of seasonal ingredients. I had Citrus Roasted Beets appetizer followed by Butter Roasted Prime Beef Strip and Blueberry Tart for dessert. The beets were accompanied by a blackberry sauce on top of homemade yogurt which gave it a nicely contrasting sweet/tart/salty mix. The beef was fork-tender and perfectly cooked and the accompanying multigrain risotto enhanced the earthy quality of the beef. The tart was not too sweet, with a flaky crust and came with a delicious sweet corn ice cream. Service was friendly and welcoming. A great meal.Special Features:
- NJfoodieNJfoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014First time here, and we were incredibly pleased with the cocktails and meal. I suggest a table by the window or outside, because the seating is off the street a bit in a very nice setting. The fluke crudo in coconut and lime was out of this world, as was the duck. I highly recommend this easy-to-get-to restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redone Oval Room is greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2014Have not been to the Oval Room in some time. Having just been "redone" we decided to give it a try. Food was excellent as was the attentive, but lovely service.Special Features:
- The Oval RoomAmyLeeVIPDined on 8/6/2014Spectacular food with some of the best, most unusual flavor combinations I've ever had. Everything on the small menu looked good so I chose the tasting menu. The tuna appetiser was so out of this world amazing that I used my bread to get the remaining sauce! Then white fish, followed by prime beef and chocolate mousse. The beef was another outstanding dish served with a mustard-like sauce and a rich, dark jam. It was divine! I was dining with a friend who had questions about the wine list and menu and I felt the service was a bit short-tempered with her. After questions regarding wine, the sommelier said he would just bring a bottle that everyone likes, cutting off her questions yet somehow this was done politely. I will absolutely go back!Special Features:
- Best dining experience in yearsMichael123Dined on 8/5/2014For a restaurant that had only reopened the day before we went, this was as solid an experience as we could have hoped for. Birthday/anniversary dinner that was acknowledged as soon as we approached the host stand and mentioned our name. Two minutes at our nice quiet table and two delicious complimentary glasses of bubbles arrived by the sommelier Alec. Great recommendations by Alec and our server Kelli throughout our evening and their attention to us was perfect - not overwhelming but just enough to make us feel special and never in need of anything. Great food and interesting offerings made for a satisfied appetite for the both of us. The dining room was warm, inviting and the chairs were super comfortable and chic. Thank you all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weird salad, stale breadTammyDined on 6/27/2014The service here is fantastic and the room is quiet and discreet but both the Cobb salad and the chicken salad are very odd. The ingredients aren't chopped up and melded together -- they just lie there separately on the plate, not properly coated with the dressing. It's like the chef quit halfway through making them, and the diner has to finish the job.Special Features:
- CecilleDined on 6/24/2014This is the second time I ate at this restaurant and it never fails to amaze me. The food is excellent, service is impecable and would come back time and again. I always recommend it to friends and colleagues in the office.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LolaDined on 6/9/2014we had a great late afternoon/early dinner outdoor dining experience...food and service was terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food, calming atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/4/2014I have been here many times for lunch and am pleased every time. The food is always inspired and new things are on the menu all the time. You should ask for descriptions of things because they are often not quite what you think they'll be. For example, they have a burrata with jalepeno dressing and pear that frankly, sounds kind of weird, but it is delicate and delicious. The space is also super quiet and soothing. I value that when I need a real break at lunch and I want to actually talk to my lunch date. This is my go to place for a middle of the day recharge.Special Features:
- Oval Room was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/31/2014Had a Saturday night dinner at Oval Room. Room beautiful (restrooms clean but could use upgrade). Food and wine outstanding. Service was great. Overall great evening. Pasta appetizer shared was wonderful but small for sharing. Rack of Lamb and Poached lobster mains were terrific. Fabulous Gruner Veltliner wine. Nice rhubard dessert.Special Features:
- Always great and consistentJerryDined on 5/30/2014We bring our guests, special friends and just the two of us for an excellent experience, always consistent menu and service, and a wonderful evening out. We will be back when your refurbishing is done. thanks for always a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Management!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/30/2014We started out with a server that was giving us pretty bad service and we made a small mention to the manager. The next thing we knew, we had a new server, with a great attitude and great service, and even sent out desserts on the house. They went above and beyond to fix the issue and it was much appreciated. Not to mention, that all of the food was delicious!Special Features:
- Good but not greathashtagyaboyDined on 5/29/2014Menu was ambitious and executed moderately well. Not enough value for the price both in quality and quantity. Service was excellent. They were very willing to explain everything on the menu but they appeared pretentious if you wanted to order a non-wine beverage. I dropped the car off to valet and when I received my car back the front left tire was flat. The valet service company is different than the restaurant, but the restaurant helped out. The valet service brought a service vehicle to pump air into my tire. So far, 36 hours later, all is well. I'm positive the valet guy messed up my tire but at least they fixed it for now.Special Features:
- great bargainshortyDined on 5/23/2014Oval Room's $39 prix fixe early evening dinner is a fabulous bargain. Great food in a quiet, comfortable environment, inside or out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre- Theater Menu a bargainGuidedogDined on 5/21/2014What a nice surprise to find a delicious pre-theater menu that offered some delicious options in a sophisticated environment. Service was great and staff very welcoming. The regular menu looked great also.Special Features:
- Subdued elegance, great foodJackDined on 5/19/2014This is my main "go to" restaurant for dining near the White House. Excellent food at reasonable prices. Also, great service.Special Features:
- Quiet old DC gemOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/17/2014I picked The Oval Room because it was on Open Table's "quiet" list -- my 91 year old Dad is very hard of hearing, especially in ambient noise. We had a perfect table. The seasonal menu was delightful. Dad had two appetizers for dinner. I had superbly cooked fish. They made his martini to perfection -- and he is VERY picky about his martini. We had an unhurried lovely meal with attentive, almost European style service. I will be back.Special Features: