The Original Sand Crab Tavern
2229 Micro Pl
Escondido, CA 92029Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Original Sand Crab Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sandcrabtavern.com/
- Phone: (760) 480-2722
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Wednesday: 4:00pm – 9:00pm;
Thursday – Saturday: 11:00am – 10:00pm; Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Seafood boils and limited menu items available for your private event, up to 100 people
- Entertainment: Check the website for our Live Music schedule
A word from The Original Sand Crab Tavern
Described as "...the coolest little seafood joint in San Diego's North County." by the San Diego Union TribuneContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Original Sand Crab Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)kid-friendly (7)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- OverpricedNunzDined on 11/21/2014Very overpriced food with no presentation at all! Too much plastic and paper for a 200$ meal! (Only 2 glasses of wine). 4 people! We wanted different and it is! The oysters though vet Tiber priced ($2.40 each). We're very good everthing else was just okay! Would not go back again! Our sever Katie was very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good hole in the wallValleyCenterGirlieDined on 10/24/2014If you're looking for a nearby seafood joint this is the place. Reasonably priced oysters, crabs, and other fish broiled, fried etc on a plate in a sandwich... They are eager to please. We had a delightful server who happily brought me some horseradish for the ketchup. The food came out promptly and was warm and very good. My only problem - and this may be personal to me- I'm slightly claustrophobic and the room is narrow with low ceilings and no windows. However the nautical decor helps divert your attention as does the food!Special Features:
- Awesome Staff!!therapdog2Dined on 10/18/2014My friend and I came for the Oyster Bar, but unfortunately, they were sold out by the time we arrived. Rather than choose something else, we decided to go with our alternate choice of finding a barbecue place. The staff recommended two local places: Mike's or Phil's. We chose Mike's and had an AMAZING dinner! Was it oysters as we'd hoped for? No. But because the staff was so incredibly helpful, we will be sure to come back for the oysters - with an earlier reservation - AND we found a new barbecue place to enjoy as well! Yes, we told the folks at Mike's, who sent us over! They were pleasantly surprised and grateful for the recommendation - as were we! THANK YOU!!! We will DEFINITELY be back to the Sand Crab Tavern! Awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Darren CCarrfamily1Dined on 9/27/2014Oyster Bar was Awesome, super fresh and clean, the dinner for 2 was Great, the shell fish was super fresh, would never guess it would be in a business park area, but once you walk thru the door its crusty crab looking all the way, really enjoyed our evening and will recommend to all of our friends, Thanks Sand crab tavern for a delightful time thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!therapdog2Dined on 9/14/2014Went for dinner on a Sunday night, with a former co-worker friend. We ordered the Dungeness Crab bucket for 2 - and it was not only some of the BEST crab we'd ever had, there was MORE than enough to fill us both up! Yes, there was some sausage (which was also delicious) and a couple ears of corn, but the star of the show was the amazing amount of crab that was dumped (yes, dumped...it was fun!) on our table! The place is NOT easy to find, and thanks to a phone call from the road and a friendly voice at the restaurant with better directions, once we got closer, we were able to enjoy one of the BEST seafood dinners around! Definitely will be going back...especially now that we know how to find it!Special Features:
- Good Fresh SeafoodMaryVIPDined on 9/12/2014Very fun if you want to crack your own shellfish. Other menu items very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Neighborhood RestaurantMaryVIPDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is in the industrial neighborhood in Escondido. It's difficult to find but, once there, one forgets about the warehouses surrounding it. This restaurant is individually owned and the owner really cares about getting fresh seafood -- and it is. Our preference is probably the crab salad but many people go there to pound away on seafood right in the shell. I had the crab cakes this time and probably will not get them again. In a crab cake, my preference is as little binder as possible. This cake had too much for my taste but they were of good size and included fries and either a green salad or cole slaw. My husband had the crab salad, good as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Style/New Orleans StyleSusieqDined on 8/22/2014The Sand Crab Tavern serves crab legs, corn, sausage and potatoes in a family style fashion...in the middle of your table, directly on the table. We ordered the deadliest catch for one and a few appetizers so we could try the lobster bisque and clam chowder. My husband loved the chowder and the lobster bisque was very good as well. The bisque came with a Fleur De Lis pastry puff. The deadliest catch assortment was very good as well with a few Alaskan crab legs and other smaller crabs. Bring wet wipes/hand sanitizer as your hands may smell like crab after peeling your own. The place is kind of a dive bar, and is decorated with sea fare memorabilia. Dress is casual. If we go back I definitely want to try the seafood gumbo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!!!!!!!TommcappDined on 8/10/2014This place is tucked away so you can't see it till your right in front of it but I'm so glad we found it. Great seafood dishes and a real fun atmosphere for couples and families with kids. They dump a huge bowl of seafood right on the table and everyone just chows down, love it!Special Features:
- VC VisitorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Brunch was fun and filling. Great spot for group get together. Fairly noisy and could barely hear the music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 14 reviews are from the The Original Sand Crab Tavern reviews archive.
- Great experience!NewToOTDined on 7/19/2014If your in the area and don't mind getting your hands a little messy I highly recommend going here! Great service and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day @Sand CraboneholycowDined on 6/15/2014I took my husband, son and his family and a friend all for dinner to celebrate. My husband had a pound of Alaskan King Crab Legs and Oyster Shooters. He was in Heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our must do in North County.Number16FansDined on 6/15/2014We found the Sand Crab Tavern advertised in a local magazine and after a long day at the Safari Park, we decided to check it out. As we followed the GPS, we thought it was malfunctioning. Then, surrounded by complete darkness we saw the little building with neon beer signs in the window. We were still not sure it would be OK for our then 10 year-old. I popped in and quickly realized we had found a great place. Our son loves the Lobster Bisque and follows it up with a bucket of Crab. Every time we are in North County we eat there.Special Features:
- Over pricedJImmyVIPDined on 6/15/2014This place is ok. It is in a weird area for a pier style sea food place. The food is good but not great and definitely over priced. The service is adequate nothing special. Have to ask for things that were suppose to be part of your meal. Probably won't return.Special Features:
- LLlove2eatDined on 4/26/2014The service was pretty good but the food was just mediocre and over priced for the quality of the food. We had the king crab and shrimp feast. The king crab was to salty and not sweet. Clam chowder was just okay with not many clams in it. The shrimp pasta was pretty good but had a lot of oily sauce.Special Features:
- CheerMomDined on 4/18/2014We had been here once before many years ago so decided to give it another try. We were warmly greeted upon entering and thanked as we were leaving. Had a great dinner celebrating my birthday with my husband. The food was amazing as well as our service. We were very well taken care of and had repeat visits asking if we needed anything. Great experience. Will are very much looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/9/2014It was something new and I liked trying this place.Special Features:
- SO MUCH FUN!!!GaleVIPDined on 4/5/2014We were a party of 4 and my husband and I arrived a bit early. The hostess was extemely hospitable, telling us our table was ready and she could take us back now or wait till the rest of the party arrived. An Open Table reservation sure helps! We were seated in a booth and after dinner moved into the larger room where the band was performing. There was no pressure on us to order anything to stay and enjoy the music although the server was responsive as required. Our friends had the king crab legs which arrived in a most formidible pile and with which they were very pleased. Everyone in the place seemed to be smiling and having a great time...and that is infectious! A very fun evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/29/2014Our waitress was rude and full of excuses. I have never experienced such a horrible dining experience.
- UnsatisfactoryCrabbyDined on 3/23/2014i went to Open Table for a restaurant close to home for lobster. On the menu it showed lobster. When i arrived i was seated in a booth with very poor lighting. Hard to read menu and difficult to see food. It was also uncomfortably warm. I looked at the menu and saw that it did indeed have lobster. When placing the order I was told they didn't have lobster. Since i was already there I ordered the next best which was king crab legs. I also ordered soup and salad and then had to pay extra for bread that was not fresh. The soup came out luke warm and the dressing on the salad was very warm not appetizing. The service was good but other than that I was not impressed.Special Features:
- I think I would have enjoyed it...leila408Dined on 2/14/2014The food was good, it was a very busy night so the service was ok. Plan on going back with the kids. Check in process was way out of control, needs improvement.
- Fun PlacellhoDined on 11/14/2013It's always fun to eat at Sand Crab and the service is excellent. We ordered the usual Captian's Sampler which was served on the table literally. Who'd think boiled crab legs, mussels, Lousianna sausage, stone crab claws with some seasonaing salt would be so tasty. They have a rusty decoration that makes you feel like in a boat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly quiet on Monday nite.peoplezDined on 11/4/2013the place is like a circus tent, looks small on the outside and fairly spacious and fun on the inside. As I looked at the menu and the ambiance I could only guess how and what was to be served on this surprisingly quiet night. The server said that its usually quite busy, but being football season, it was kinda slow. We ordered the dungeness crab and shrimp special which I thought was small when it came out, but surprisingly I finished it with a very happy and full stomach! If I had run or excercised a bit more, I could have ordered the happy hour special as it was m-th till close... monday nite calamari was the special and that would only have been six bucks. I will come back to the bar as the average fare for seafood is only $11.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch and an oyster barRichDined on 10/31/2013We came to the Sand Crab for Sunday brunch. They have a great menu, including a wonderful duck hash. Their Bloody Mary was fantastic, and the Live blues music was just plain fun. Come to find out they have an oyster bar every Friday and Saturday nights. We'll be back for that. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.