The Original Cottage Inn
512 East Williams
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Original Cottage Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.originalcottageinn.com/
- Phone: (734)663-3379x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday 11am - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Greek, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Original Cottage Inn offers a full-service catering department. Please contact Katee at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-663-3379 to inquire about booking an event.
- Private Party Facilities: The Original Cottage Inn has two private rooms perfect for any occasion, with seating for 20 to 80 guests. Our upstairs dining area can accommodate up to 130 guests. Let our professional banquet staff make your event a night to remember!
- Private Party Contact: Tim Parent 8883312365
- Special Events: Kids Eat Free every Monday night, 5-8pm! We have a create-your-own-cupcake station and crafts.
Deep Dish Tuesdays: Every Tuesday, enjoy half off of our deep dish two-topping pizzas, dine in or carry out!
Wednesdays: $6 for ANY of our burgers, with fries!
Every Thursday enjoy half off wine!
A word from The Original Cottage Inn
The Original Cottage Inn restaurant opened its doors at 512 East William, Ann Arbor in 1948. This restaurant has had the distinction of being the first restaurant in Ann Arbor to serve pizza. The current ownership acquired the building at 512 E. William in 1961 and it remains the company's flagship today. The restaurant's first major expansion took place in 1975. The restaurant was remodeled again in 1980 and 1987. In 1993, a major renovation of the restaurant was done to include the second floor, which increased the seat capacity. This renovation also provided banquet room facilities. The restaurant offers a diverse menu of Italian and Greek dishes as well as pizzas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Original Cottage Inn - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
The Original Cottage Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (17)neighborhood gem (13)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (10)special occasion (7)fit for foodies (2)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- My favorite for decadesAlwaysSatisfiedDined on 8/20/2014Whenever I want to take someone to a place I'm sure will please, I choose the Original Cottage Inn. I know I can count on a good meal, good service and a great time with my friend(s). This place does not disappoint, whether you are an older person just wanting a nicely cooked meal or a real food addict who wants only the best, it's all there. Best of all, as a person with special needs, they always accommodate me, and never complain, but do it with grace and poise. For this, I am very grateful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDinerVIPDined on 8/9/2014Deep dish pizza was exellent, with a crispy crust and not too greasy or saucy. The baked manicotti was outstanding, likely enhanced by the layer of mozzarella on top that was nicely golden and bubbly. The service was not stellar, our server seemed friendly upon first greeting our table of four adults, but all other interaction (which was minimal since he was no where to be found when we would have liked beverage refills and needed an extra napkin) he acted as if we were a bother eventhough it was not busy and not late (we finished by 8:00 pm). We've been customers here for 30 years and the service averages average but the pizza and pasta keep us coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cottage Inn - amazing pizza & moreMBRRDined on 8/2/2014Cottage Inn is classic Ann Arbor --- has been there for decades as a great place to meet up with friends and family for good food and friendly service. Definitely one of our go-to spots year after year. Love the fried ravioli as a starter and there are so many delicious pizzas and other entrees, hard to go wrong. Service is always professional and accomodating too.Special Features:
- fun family spotnursedctDined on 8/1/2014Great diverse menu to please everyone. A bit noisy if you want a romantic date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchfanVIPDined on 7/6/2014First time there in a while. Food was not what I remembered. I'm sure the pizza is still good, but the pasta was only ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMariaVIPDined on 6/30/2014We chose to have a quick dinner before movie at the State, and the food left us extremely disappointed. There was nothing special or tasty about the sandwiches we ordered and the crab cakes were standard frozen fare. Not worth it.Special Features:
- Classic italian foodcheriehDined on 6/25/2014I have always enjoyed Cottage Inn. The food is tasty, classic Italian for the American taste. Nothing fancy but satisfying.Special Features:
- DeliciousSpeechTeacher89Dined on 6/24/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal at Cottage Inn. Our food was delicious and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014We had a group of nine on Father's Day including five children under the age of five. Our waiter was amazing! He was very attentive and easy going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 132 reviews are from the The Original Cottage Inn reviews archive.
- Ann Arbor GemAnnArborAnneDined on 5/16/2014Another great meal at the Original Cottage Inn! The free birthday meal brings my family in multiple times every year and this visit didn't disappoint. From the pizza to the create-your-own pasta, the food was excellent as always. Can't wait to visit again :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDinerVIPDined on 5/3/2014Excellent experience for our family of four (adults). The food was great, both taste & quality, and the service was attentive but not hovering. Loved the sesame seeds on the edge of deep dish pizza crust! The lasagna and baked spaghetti both had a generous covering of broiler browned melted cheese, YUM! I was a pleasant surprise that we were able to be seated for dinner on a Saturday night with no wait (likely busier when the college kids are in fall/winter semester but this dinner was a week after graduation).Special Features:
- Awful ServicePastaLover34Dined on 5/3/2014Honestly, I love Cottage Inn, but we had one of the most incompetent servers ever. He continuously forgot things, and confused orders. It wouldn't have been that big a deal if it had only happened once, but it kept occurring. Not only was our service terrible, but we were supposed to be a group of 10 and they sat us at separate tables. This made for an awkward experience. We then told the server he might as well separate our bills into two groups, and he had a BIG problem with that. Overall, I was very disappointed with Cottage Inn. The one glimmer of hope was that my food was actually quite tasty; however, that really can't overshadow awful service.Special Features:
- Great for GraduationFamilyManDined on 5/3/2014My family and I went for lunch after commencement and the atmosphere was warm with frindly service. Outstanding job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!MaureenDined on 5/3/2014You can always count on The Original Cottage Inn to provide fantastic food! Everything we ordered was as expected, and delicious. Portions are generous. Our food came out really quickly - even the deep dish pizza. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- very dissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Visited between grad ceremonies on May 3rd. Family including 76 year old mother-in-law in tow. Had to be re-seated because they sat us a table that would have seated four comfortably. Unfortunately we had six (with reservations) in our party. They quickly corrected and food was served quickly with the exception of my son's salmon salad. We were just about finished when it arrived. No excuse. Food was also sub-par. Very disappointing.
- A must when visitingBigFanDined on 4/20/2014I always go to the Cottage in whenever in town. Typically for the Deep dish pizza, but this trip we were there on Easter for brunch. They did a fabulous job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night "pre-movie" dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/18/2014Table was waiting for us on a Friday night at 7:30pm. Enjoyed the daily special (perch), pizza and a salad at our table. Attentive service and attractive décor. A short walk from the "Michigan" and "State Street" movie theaters nearby. Will return when back in Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service when rushed.AJL220Dined on 4/6/2014When we arrived for this reservation, I was told my table (for 10) was still being set up, and we waited about 10 minutes. There was a big rush, and lots of people were waiting. When our table was ready, it was actually 2 separate tables. I was not told that our group would have to be at two separate tables, nor was I asked if this was okay. When I asked if there was another table, I was told there was no other option. It made the seating arrangement very awkward, as the two different tables couldn't really be pushed together. Additionally, our service was mediocre at best - the wait staff was slow and inattentive, and our server brought the check before she had asked if anyone was interested in dessert or coffee, which we were.
- The cottageOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014Service was great many large groups. A variety of good excellent salsdsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun family eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014We enjoyed bringing our grandsons to cottage Inn on William Street where we enjoyed many wonderful date nights as students in the late sixties. Great food, fun atmosphere after the spring scrimmage at the Big House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Affordable lunch buffetSierraBravoDined on 3/24/2014Came here to meet family from out of town; booked the night before without any problem. We just recently discovered the lunch buffet option; it's affordable and provided options for our vegetarian family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesKadsDined on 3/14/2014I had my birthday party here - and it was a great experience. The gluten free food tasted amazing, and the staff were really accommodating with my large group. Best birthday ever.
- Great mealhillaryDined on 3/8/2014We had a very nice meal on Saturday night, table was ready for us when we were there.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemLindaDined on 3/8/2014We love this 'original' Cottage Inn Pizza restaurant. The decor, the menu, all unsigned and Good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & RelaxingFuninsfDined on 3/1/2014We had relatives in from out of town and wanted them to explore one of Ann Arbor's gems. The quiet and relaxed atmosphere made is easy to carry on a conversation. As usual, the ambiance and pizza were ourstanding !Special Features:
- BDay VisitKerryDined on 3/1/2014Excellent staff and foo. We would highly recommend.Special Features:
- All time favorite!TraceyandFriendsDined on 3/1/2014Original Cottage Inn is an all time favorite! Haven't been there in 20 years and enjoyed dinner with our long time friends as much as we did back then! Food, especially the Greek salad, was great. The place is the same, yet updated. Love it and will go back soon and not wait another 20 years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome PizzaAndyVIPDined on 2/23/2014We always get the pizza for four. It comes with a large salad and a large pizza. Plenty for four but my wife and I get it so we can have leftovers. We have a hard time ordering from the menu since we like the pizza so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2014This is one of, if not, the best burger that I have had in Ann ArborSpecial Features:
- Great serviceIlphayDined on 2/14/2014I always forget about Cottage Inn for dinner, shame on me. I have always left happy about my experience. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ann Arbor favoriteJenBDined on 2/14/2014We love going here with the kids as there are so many options on their menu. They had some great chocolate dipped strawberries for Valentine's Day…nice surprise!Special Features:
- We had forgotten how good it is!MBStrassDined on 2/14/2014This was the perfect location for Valentine's Day because we were going to the Michigan Theatre members' champagne evening a block away. Despite the many appealing menu choices, we fell back on the Greek salad and a deep dish primavera pizza. I'm still dreaming about the fresh veggies and feta on Cottage Inn's inimitable sesame seed deep dish crust. The small salad was perfect and huge! I had a Drambuie-bourbon cocktail--memorable. The meal ended with a huge chocolate covered strawberry, gratis for V-day! The chocolate was dark, delicious and it amply covered the whole berry. Nice surprise! This is still a go to destination for honest good food without asking for you to take out a second mortgage to pay for dinner. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original Cottage InnPaulaDined on 2/2/2014We discovered the "original" Cottage Inn about 3 years ago. The chain of CA's we knew for their pizzas. This is a totally different atmosphere. A nice restaurant, sit down with a varied Italian menu. It is possible to pick you own meal, i.e. chose pasta, meat, sauces that you desire. In addition there are many delicious choices of entrees, I like the baked spaghettini with fresh made meat balls. Great place for a family's special occasion or a large group.Special Features:
- Great food, unimpressive staffYummyYumDined on 2/1/2014Had a great meal here despite a very scattered waiter and an extremely rude hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just great PizzaSeniorVIPDined on 1/25/2014We went with friends before symphony. Two of us had pasta dishes which came with salad and good bread. One had a salad with grilled chicken and one had pot roast dinner. All of us enjoyed our meals. The pot roast was amazing. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to godbcclarkeDined on 1/24/2014I like going here. I took my friend here and asked cottage inn to have wine ready on the table for us two. they did. the food was good, and the service was great. i was glad to tip well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceCeeceeDined on 1/18/2014It's a fantastic place and the service is always professional. I've never had anything I didn't like here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 10Caj3Dined on 1/17/2014Seated straight away on a reservation for 10. Optimal group probably 6-8. Comfortable, great service, great food. People at the table had everything from pizza to lasagna to salad. Great experience, will do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food , always great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/16/2014Good food , always great place to go back to , reminiscence of college days - great Italian family food .Special Features:
- Great downtown Ann Arbor locationFig2Dined on 1/11/2014Great downtown Ann Arbor location for casual dining with the best Greek Salad ever! Everything we've ordered on the menu has been very good. The food is always served hot, which is a real kudos to their kitchen staff. The wait staff is pleasant and friendly. AND they don't hover and ask how your meal is multiple times. This is a super plus for us. We make it a rule not to revisit establishments with annoying wait staff. Cottage Inn gets it right! We have very picky pizza lovers in our family, and the pickiest has decided the Margarita thin crust pizza at Cottage Inn is something to come back for over and over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.