544 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eattheordinary.com/
- Phone: (843) 414-7060
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Closed on Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mike Lata
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from The Ordinary
The Ordinary is a Classic Oyster Hall and Southern Seafood Brasserie located in an Historic Bank Building in Charleston, SC.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Ordinary - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
The Ordinary reviews from OpenTable diners
251 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (195)special occasion (112)hot spot (111)vibrant bar scene (78)neighborhood gem (74)notable wine list (47)romantic (47)good for groups (42)late-night find (15)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great atmosphere and service, good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014The seafood was delicious and the service was great. The atmosphere was fun and lively. The food wasn't really innovative but a solid meal nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night in a great city!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014The Ordinary is a great place in charleston for fresh seafood, cool atmosphere, and great staff. You won't be disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordinary not so ordinaryPawleysSCdinerDined on 11/20/2014This was my first dining experience at The Ordinary and the occasion was also a first date. The food and its presentation were excellent, the ambience open and energetic, and the service excellent as well. The noise level is on the loud side but not annoying because the ceiling is so high that you can still converse at a comfortable level. The majority of the dining seating is on the ground level but The Ordinary also has an upper level balcony type dining area. It is complete with its own bar and looked to be perfect for group dining. The menu is a bit confusing at first glance but makes sense once the waitstaff explains it. In my opinion one or two more large plate selections should be included on the menu and perhaps one or two more by the glass red wine choices. The experience was very good and can only increase the probability that I will get a second date with my dining partner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ordinary is ExtraordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014Every detail comes together beautifully at The Ordinary, from the carefully picked wide range of raw oysters, to the well crafted wine list - the Chirouble was exquisite - to the design elements and good use of space, all wrapped up with what may be the best service I have ever encountered, worthy of all foodies out there, thank you to our waiter Ben for a great experience, anything but ordinary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeafeningRushDined on 11/14/2014The food is good, but it is so terribly noisy, I wouldn't recommend it. You can't hear your table mates at all. This was very disappointing indeed.
- Amazing food, tremendous service -- perfection!PerfectionDined on 11/14/2014A friend recommended this and we were thrilled we took her advice. The service staff was tremendous -- from the call a few hours before our reservation, to the valet parking staff when we picked up our car. Our waitress understood the menu and was able to describe all of the food and drink selections in answer to our questions. The food was just amazing. The flavors were subtle, well matched, and delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anything but ordinary, the place is wonderful.JaxbchDined on 11/13/2014Beautiful restaurant, amazing food. My husband started with a dozen oysters and said they were the best he's ever had. He is a huge oyster fan and has had them at some of the "best" oyster places in the country. For my main course I had the grouper with shaved mushrooms and a brown butter sauce--out of this world!! My husband had the diver scallops and said they were wonderfully prepared. This should be on your list of must have meals in charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night with HubbyKateDined on 11/13/2014Food was tasty and well plated, but very small portions and pricey. Not special enough to justify the cost.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceDEM126VIPDined on 11/11/2014Really enjoyed our dinner at the Ordinary on Tuesday, Nov 11. We each had the lobster roll special and it was outstanding. The service was excellent as well. It's a little loud in the restaurant but the noise didn't really diminish our overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOO MUCH NOISE!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014Food was excellent - but couldn't hear the person across the table. Partly because the tables were so big for four people, partly because the interior space has such echoes. Server was , however, very well informed and helpful.
- Come for the fish not. The conversationVulkn8rVIPDined on 11/6/2014Fabulous seafood, fresh and imaginative preparations. Noise level rendered conversations obsolete, at least for the over 50 year olds at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/2/2014we were seated in the "long room" which lacked ambience and had a pretty bad layout- you can tell they clear the tables out for larger events because it felt like they were just thrown in the room without much thought. that being said, the food was very good, yes small plates, yes a little pricey but that's what you get at this type of restaurant. other than the poor design/layout of the room we had a nice time.Special Features:
- Tremendous Charleston experience.GlasshouseDined on 11/2/2014Gorgeously converted bank with high ceilings and huge windows: great energy. Carefree, but spot-on service to match the dialed-in seafood offerings. Near impossible to choose from menu. Strong nod to local/organic. Oysters and clams. Pasta and fish. Balanced flavors, color and texture. Crisp, straightforward plate presentations.Special Features:
- OrdinaryRegularcustomerDined on 11/2/2014Service and ambiance good. Food served cold. Scallops OK. Grouper small portion, sauce not tasty. Would not return.
- Excellent experiencetug3000Dined on 11/1/2014Went to the Ordinary for our first anniversary and they couldn't have been nicer. Our dessert took a little long coming out, so they sent another one out before it and didn't charge for either. Very excellent service and food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Everything was excellent--except the cornbread which had been touted as something not to miss. Needed salt or some kick--but that was trivial. All else, including the service, was superb. Fish stew and oysters were wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BadgerWIDined on 10/30/2014My first time in Charleston. Enjoyed many fabulous meals but The Ordinary was my favorite. Terrific food and great service. Very accommodating. Loved the setting too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always nicemommaVIPDined on 10/30/2014This was the second time we've been to The Ordinary. We had oysters, shrimp, and stone crabs. Delicious! Great staff, we'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Worth waiting to get a reservation!jetsetjamieDined on 10/28/2014Everytime I know I will be traveling to Charleston, I get on OpenTable immediately to book a reservation at The Ordinary. I love the ambience, friendly service and the history of the building. The only drawback...I wish they served Lobster Rolls everynight of the week. They are amazing!! Regardless whether lobster is in season or not, you will not be disappointed! I believe The Ordinary will be a mainstay in a city known for it's culinary scene! My husband and I are thinking about moving to Charleston, and I know it will be our restaurant of choice to grab a drink after work, entertain clients, and taking our family and friends to a place they won't forget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great oysters in Charleston!KatelynVIPDined on 10/26/2014Had dinner at The Ordinary last Sunday - the food was unbelievable and our server was SO helpful in determining the best way to order, and how much to order. Best meal we had in Charleston during our visit there. Highly recommend if you are a fan of a creative menu.Special Features:
- The Ordinary is anything butJCStarnesVIPDined on 10/25/2014Wonderful from the time we walk in, to the drink menu, to the waitress' suggestions, to the very last biteSpecial Features:
- Seafood heavenJulesVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had an incredible seafood feast here this weekend - from the oysters (raw, smoked and baked) to the fried rock shrimp with okra, everything was so delicious and beautifully prepared. Great wine, staff and ambiance, too. A Charleston must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit fancy for our bloodLovefoodlovewineDined on 10/24/2014This place was beautiful, romantic and qnique however way over prices! The good was good but get ready to pull you Benjamins outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JJ24Dined on 10/24/2014Octopus salad and smoked fish pate were excellent! Quality of the oysters and clams was impeccable. Just wished we could have picked the type of oysters on the shellfish platter or that there was a better variety. The local oysters are good but we prefer Prince Edward Islands, Nova Scotia and West Coast oysters (which they carried but would not substitute.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood In Pure Formmcp007Dined on 10/24/2014In a city of great restaurants, the best. No extraneous menu items or distractions. Unadorned, high quality ingredients. Only those seeking the heavy, deep-fried Low Country seafood experience could be disappointed. It's noisy and not cheap, but the flavors are ridiculously pure and consistency unrivaled. Staff is ultra-knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Not the SameFoodPlusWineEqualsSmilesDined on 10/23/2014This used to be one of my favorite restaurants in all of Charleston, but it seems to be declining with our recent dining experience. They no longer have the lobster ceviche, the shrimp was overcooked, and the clams were over salted. The Ordinary used to be a must stop when I come to town for business but next time I may opt to try something else.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/22/2014Its seems that I always have at least one person at my table who is a first timer at The Ordinary, and is always impressed with this restaurant. The menu is interesting and the food is excellent, our waiter was extremely knowledgeable and helpful and overall everything just clicked for a dinner out. It is nice to have unique menu items that reflect the freshest available seafood, and the consistency of service is greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- Small portions, high prices..tarheelDined on 10/18/2014As title says, also real loud could barely hear across the table. Had to wait on table with reservation and ordered drinks that took until we got to the table to get. Pearlz is a better option and half the cost.
- Seafood heaven but not romanticFrankieDined on 10/18/2014If you like your seafood al crudo or raw, and very fresh, this is the spot for you. Their wine list is top notch, their staff is knowledgeable, and service is commendable. Even the steak was cooked to perfection. A bit pricey. However, my main point of contention is the cacophony of the room. The noise level is almost unbearable and adding insult to injury, their choice of music the evening we were there only added to the barrage on the senses. Not the ideal place for a first date or a tete-a-tete.Special Features:
- Mighty finejeffDined on 10/17/2014But you got to like shellfish. Everything was very tasty and I especially enjoyed the oysters Moscow (don't forget to drink the vodka in the shell!). We were not quite full so we ordered the squid as an afterthought and were glad we did; perhaps the most impressive dish we sampled. Excellent and patiently accommodating wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ordinary is not ordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Great food in a really cool setting. Pricey but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh OystersFoodieFromAtlantaDined on 10/17/2014The Ordinary is located inside an old bank building - easy to walk passed it. No private parking - public parking is a few blacks away. Open & louder downstairs (which had the oyster bar and drink bar.) Upstairs there was limited seating but quieter. No significant investment in the ambience (chairs not great, wall decor minimal). Service was attentive without being intrusive; was able to time our drinks, appetizers, small plates and large plates without feeling like we were rushed. Recommend raw oysters, king crab leg (just one 5" portion shelled), scallops. Left with a variety of taste experiences but unfortunately a bit hungry. Very small portions even for the "large" plates. Limited menu. Expensive for amount of food.Special Features:
- Best pure seafood in charlestonAchmeezyVIPDined on 10/16/2014This is the place for a true seafood experience. The oyster sliders are amazing, and the shellfish tower is a must. Not the place for shrimp and grits or she crab soup (plenty of other places), but for an amazing, pure seafood experience this is the by far the best place in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining at The OrdinaryAndrewVIPDined on 10/12/2014We had a fabulous meal -- a variation of the fresh shellfish tripple decker as an appretizer -- followed by the fresh wahoo entree and decadent custard-like dessert topped with a blueberry frost. Just outstanding, as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foor and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014Wonderful seafood. Don't go here wanting a steak - seafood is so good and the service is wonderful. They work well as a teamSpecial Features:
- A food experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014We had an early dinner reservation (there is a lot to see and do in Charleston). Our service was very good, the food was prepared and served very quickly. It's best to visit The Ordinary if everyone in your party is a seafood lover. The menu is very limited if you are only interested in the seafood!Special Features:
- We heart The OrdinaryElls66VIPDined on 10/10/2014We visited The Ordinary as part of a foodie weekend in Charleston.. frankly this town is teeming with hot dining spots so the bar is set high. The service- to a pair of Brits on their first visit - was Southern charm through and through - the manager took time to visit our table and ask for our feedback, the chef was gracious, informative and full of tips for dinner the following night. We shared the double seafood stack.. a glorious mountain of shrimp, oysters, ceviche, lobster and clams, served with several dipping sauces. We also sampled the divine lump crab toast, perfectly flavoured and the freshest squid either of us have ever tasted. The unusual setting in a former bank adds to the glamour and fun of the dining experience. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Seafood LoversOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014If you love seafood (not of the fried variety) this is a great special occasion place (or regular place if you have many more dollars than I have). Don't pass up the house made Hawaiian Rolls.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014Outstanding food. Every bite was delicious. Server friendly, knowledgable but not pretentious. Hostess very kind and accommodating as we were eating with my 93 year old mother. She was right there to offer help. Great experience.Special Features:
- Great Date Spot -get the prix fixe!natifoodieDined on 10/5/2014The Ordinary has a 3 course prix fixe menu that rotates daily - for only $35/person, the quality and amount of food is almost a steal. The setting is just noisy enough to feel busy, but still makes for an easy setting to relax and chat. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to couples in charleston looking for an easy romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.