544 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eattheordinary.com/
- Phone: 8434147060x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Closed on Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mike Lata
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from The Ordinary
The Ordinary is a Classic Oyster Hall and Southern Seafood Brasserie located in an Historic Bank Building in Charleston, SC.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Ordinary - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
The Ordinary reviews from OpenTable diners
284 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (210)special occasion (140)hot spot (124)neighborhood gem (85)vibrant bar scene (72)romantic (57)notable wine list (46)good for groups (30)late-night find (15)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014A happening spot with great seafood --very fresh. We always go there when in town.Special Features:
- Great raw barOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014If you love raw oysters this is the place! While I don't eat them my mother and husband do, my mother said they were the best she's ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ordinary still shinesCharlestonEDinerDined on 8/23/2014Our recent revisit to The Ordinary was just as extra-Ordinary as our first dinner there in July of 2013. The menu is still divided into sections, the selections still bright and flavorful. The chefs at The Ordinary are masters at mixing flavors and textures, creating mouthfuls of crunch, smooth creaminess and tenderness (as in their excellent Oyster Sliders..yum.). There were enough menu choices to please every diner and each of those choices exceeded our expectations. The treat of dining at The Ordinary is that their menu choices change daily and each day an Ordinary is offered...a daily prix fix meal, complete with dessert.Special Features:
- Impressive food for seafood lovers.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014Great bar scene with a nice selection of sherry and beer. Unfortunately, it is way too loud. The food is impressive and the service was very knowledgeable and efficient. Raw bar selections were interesting. Loved it.Special Features:
- Spectacular as usualLindaDined on 8/21/2014Love ordering all small plates, which actually ate huge, and sharing. Chef is innovative and meticulous with ingredients and presenting unusual combinations. One of the best Charleston has to offer. Love the setting....a very high ceilinged old bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menuJerryDined on 8/21/2014The Ordinary is strictly a seafood restaurant. While we found the food good, we didn't feel it rated the price. The menu is weighted to small, appetizer portions in both the "Cold" and "Hot" items. Their "Large Plates" were limited to four choices. I had the Wahoo, and while it was good, it didn't live up to the $29.00 charge. My wife had the peel and eat shrimp for $15.00 and a cup of fish chowder for $13.00 that was on the watery side and had quite a few "crackers" in it We each had a "glass" of wine that added another $30.00 to the bill. Overall, we were disappointed and won't be returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Wonderful food, good service, and nice ambience, though the acoustics of this renovated bank make the restaurant a bit loud. (The upstairs section could only be described as an echo chamber.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting to be regularsCHMHinGeorgiaDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I live in Augusta, GA, and for the past 18 months have found ourselves making frequent overnight trips to Charleston for the sole purpose of dinner at The Ordinary. Yes, it's that good. We have eaten at top restaurants all over the U.S. and have found no one who does seafood fresher and more thoughtfully than Mike Latta and his staff. If you dream of a lovely piece of fish cooked and sauced perfectly, head for The Ordinary. This trip we ordered the paillard of grouper in a whipped sherry sauce, garnished with tiny chanterelles and even tinier toasted croutons. Just wonderful. We were sure it was the best fish dish we'd ever had, but that's what we say after each trip to The Ordinary!Special Features:
- Mostly right-on the reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent seafood (though my wife felt her crab appetizer was just okay); loved the oysters, the daily special, the service and the ambience. A nice touch: the restaurant called the day before and asked if we wanted to be seated on the first or second floor. Since I have, at the moment, limited mobility, it was thoughtful of The Ordinary to ask. Menu questions were answered with candor. Altogether a great addition to the Charleston restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly different / excellentSounds2GoodDined on 8/20/2014We liked The Ordinary more than the flagship restaurant, Figg. The food was delicious and surprised our senses with new flavors and textures. The folks at the bar were friendly and the libations constructed there were unique and delicious. The space is interesting and we liked the touches remaining from the old bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb .. ButcrosswaveVIPDined on 8/19/2014Superb all around .. The entree was a bit small for the price point .. Would have preferred a bit more "filler" to satisfy. Could have enjoyed more starch, bread et al.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousHappy2BservedDined on 8/17/2014It was our second visit to The Ordinary. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Saturday DinnerCaptBiscuitDined on 8/16/2014Very limited menu, mostly a raw bar. Tried the shrimp hushpuppies, don't know what all the hype is about; ordinary at best. The fish chowder was good, but should be named potato chowder with a little fish. Very open, noise really travels, have to talk loud just to be heard. Waiter was inexperienced. Even the sign (flag) out front was in pitiful condition (I should have heeded the warning signs). Not located in the best part of town, stick to King Street, avoid the side streets near the restaurant.
- MLaceDined on 8/15/2014Excellent service. The cocktail we had was refreshing and unique. Reintroduction to vermouth. Simple yet elegant seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ordinary dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014While the building was gorgeous, The Ordinary dining experience was memorable in a negative way. Our table was tiny, our chairs were uncomfortable and the place was extremely noisy. There is no way that I will eat there again. To top it off, the food was overpriced.
- FinaticDined on 8/14/2014Chef focuses his creativity on the appetizers and they are the stars of the evening. The entrees are, well, ordinary. You would be well satisfied with an evening of small plates. This is a for real culinary seafood experience ... go! Service is attentive, intelligent and efficient. Furniture is minimalist and uncomfortable. Noise level exceeds intrusive. BUT ... the resurrection of fish forks is inspiring. We'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations were higher...AltavistaDined on 8/12/2014After reading all reviews to the ordinary, it was truly ordinary. About half of the lobster roll was "pasty" rather than firm. Pieces of grouper were wrapped up in a tasty sauce, but the grouper was more fit for a fish stew. The noise level in a chic and visually attractive environment (ex-bank building) was muted by the noise level. This was a Tuesday night, maybe things get better toward the end of the week, but can't recommend. For a better alternative, try Fish, couple blocks south of the Ordinary on King.
- DisappointingAbiADined on 8/12/2014Have waited to try this restaurant and heard all great things. We ordered 1/2 pound of shrimp, 3 Oysters Moscow, Smoked Oysters and The Crispy Oysters with Beef Tartare. All tiny dishes, all mediocre. We also ordered two glasses of wine and two beers, for a total of $108.00. The amount of food we ordered would be similar to a wrap a Dellz Deli across the street and I can eat half for lunch and save the other for dinner, and is the freshest, most delicious food and comes to a total of $9.00. Unfortunately the Ordinary is not worth the hype and you are strictly paying for the name. Definitely will not be back for a $4.75 oyster the size of a nickel.Special Features:
- The Ordinary was very ordinary!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014The Ordinary had been highly recommended to us by friends and we were very disappointed. Food was extremely mediocre.
- VibrantJazzmanVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great raw bar. Frenetic. Service a little too efficient, so felt a bit rushedSpecial Features:
- RazorClams are AMAZING!!!NeedaFoodFixDined on 8/8/2014We really enjoyed our meal at The Ordinary and we will definitely be back, although we'd change things up a bit for sure. The drinks were fantastic, the apps - esp the razor clams and oyster sliders were AMAZING!!! We each had a different fish dinner - snapper, salmon, grouper. All were good and cooked nicely, but nothing spectacular. The place was also EXTREMELY noisy. We were there for my parents 50th wedding anniversary, so not quite the atmosphere we were expecting. Hubby and I would definitely go back, sit at the bar and enjoy some great apps. The building is a renovated bank and very cool looking.Special Features:
- kywildcatDined on 8/8/2014we specifically went for the lobster special, and it was amazing. perfectly cooked. the salad was wonderful, service over the top goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss The OrdinaryNancyDined on 8/7/2014This restaurant is anything but ordinary, and with our party of three, we made it a point to order different appetizers and entrees so we could experience a broader range of tastes. Every dish was was fresh, delicious, and memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceStrikerDined on 8/6/2014Food was good, but salads were exceptional. Found oysters to be good but was looking for wonderful. The presentation of the food is what makes the restaurant different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I tried a 2nd timeKathythefoodie123Dined on 8/6/2014I dined at Ordinary pretty much right after opening when my husband and I were visiting Charleston when we lived in Switzerland and did not have a good experience at all regarding food and service. Since then I have moved to Charleston and went back with a visiting friend. Coming from a real foodie, the meal was absolutely fabulous ! Quite difficult to talk as the noise level is quite high, but will not keep me from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014Excellent service. Best seafood in Charleston. Will definitely recommend to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE EXTRAORDINARY ORDINARYHELMEMANVIPDined on 8/5/2014WOW. I ALWAYS SAY THAT, WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR THAT PLACE WHICH WILL SURPRISE YOU WITH THEIR FOOD. I CAN ACCEPT LESSER AMBIANCE AND LOCATION, ALTHOUGH THE ORDINARY HAS BOTH. SERVICE SHOULD BE A GIVEN, NO EXCUSES. THE MAIN THING IS THE FOOD AND THE ORDINARY EXCELS WITH THAT. THE GROUPER WAS PHENOMENAL. MY WIFE ADORED HER LOBSTER ROLL. THE BUTTERMILK FLAN WAS SUPERB. TRY THE COCKTAILS. A TING WAS A PLEASANT SURPRISE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie420Dined on 8/3/2014Food was good but a bit too pricey for what you received. Ate at SNOB and the Peninsula Grill and thought the food and service were much better!! Not sure that I would return to The Ordinary as it was quite "ordinary".Special Features:
- ExcellentScottandRobinDined on 8/3/2014Best oysters to choose from. Service was great setting was and old bank renovated really neat! Fish was out of this world and the fresh vegetables were great. I would not miss out on this restaurant. Service was outstanding as well. GreSpecial Features:
- Excellent!MezzoDined on 8/2/2014Great dining experience. The clams are a must have as was the lobster starter. Snapper entree was very nice but you could easily stick with the raw bar items and experience some amazing flavors.Special Features:
- EXTRAordinary! ( need change name)kahuna1VIPDined on 8/2/2014The oyster sliders are the bomb! This restaurant blew away our expectations by a mile. The food is simple but complex in flavor. This is the best [lace I have eaten in YEARS!And our server was so knowledgeable that it was almost shocking. The staff here are incredible well trained in every way. 5 stars in all departments!Special Features:
- The Ordinaryflemgirl1Dined on 8/1/2014Great restaurant in Charleston. Food was wonderful, server was very knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLwillsonDined on 8/1/2014Our first dining experience at The Ordinary was wonderful! we arrived a little before our reservation and had drinks at the bar. The food was excellent and the dessert even better! We will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceluvtodinechucktownstyleDined on 7/30/2014We enjoyed an early dinner at The Ordinary. It is definitely for those looking to have seafood. However, we were told there is a great steak available that is not on the menu. Vintage cocktails and wine selection were a compliment to the food. Foodies will so love the blending of flavors. Enjoyed our experience very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coastal Texas tries SC rawjasdanmooDined on 7/29/2014This was a date night while on vacation this week while the kids were kept. Living near the Texas coast, I eat seafood of all types regularly. This held up to some of the best places I've eaten in Texas and other places. The renovated bank is gorgeous, and the server made great recommendations. Crispy Fried Oysters with Beef Tartar both our favorites, but everything we had was great. Prices are high, but that is to be expected with this type of food and preparation!Special Features:
- better not to bookmandalaDined on 7/27/2014The seafood was excellent and the service attentive, but despite our reservation we were seated in a far corner of the mezzanine, where the ambience wasn't so nice. We'll make sure to sit at the bar next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Ordinary at The OrdinaryLuvgr8tmealsDined on 7/27/2014Our experience at the Ordinary was delightful. Our waitstaff offered perfect suggestions for our palate. They were friendly and service was prompt without making it appear rushed. The food was prepared beautifully. Cocktails from the bar were tasty. I would highly recommend an evening at The Ordinary. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster night outFoodloverDined on 7/27/2014Had looked forward to trying a new "Today" show recommended restaurant for oysters. Found them overpriced and surprised that no Fla. Oysters were offered. We were given a 6:15 reservation as they were booked until 9pm. We were given small table in upstairs corner facing a window that overlooked construction. The rest. was pretty empty so we asked if we could move, we were told all other tables were reserved. The Restaurant was half empty when we left an hour later! It definitely left us feeling that even having reservation a week in advance that the staff could not accommodate a customer's request to move. Based on our experience we would not recommend this restaurant but hope that what we experienced were opening "kinks"
- Life changingAmyWDined on 7/26/2014Everything we had was fantastic! Truly an exceptional meal. Highly recommend the fish pate and pickled veggies. Baked and raw oysters were delectable. Will return again and again. Order a basil vodka gimlet too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as AlwayspastryBDined on 7/25/2014We have been to The Ordinary numerous times, but this was one of the best. Jennifer was our server, and was by far, the most knowledgeable server I have ever had at any restaurant. And not only did she know her stuff, but she was passionate about it. We love The Ordinary and the food speaks for itself, but it's those little details that make it more than just a good meal. Can't wait until next time.Special Features: