544 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eattheordinary.com/
- Phone: 8434147060x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Closed on Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mike Lata
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from The Ordinary
The Ordinary is a Classic Oyster Hall and Southern Seafood Brasserie located in an Historic Bank Building in Charleston, SC.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Ordinary - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
The Ordinary reviews from OpenTable diners
279 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (201)special occasion (128)hot spot (115)neighborhood gem (84)vibrant bar scene (75)romantic (56)notable wine list (52)good for groups (36)late-night find (16)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Small portions, high prices..tarheelDined on 10/18/2014As title says, also real loud could barely hear across the table. Had to wait on table with reservation and ordered drinks that took until we got to the table to get. Pearlz is a better option and half the cost.
- Seafood heaven but not romanticFrankieDined on 10/18/2014If you like your seafood al crudo or raw, and very fresh, this is the spot for you. Their wine list is top notch, their staff is knowledgeable, and service is commendable. Even the steak was cooked to perfection. A bit pricey. However, my main point of contention is the cacophony of the room. The noise level is almost unbearable and adding insult to injury, their choice of music the evening we were there only added to the barrage on the senses. Not the ideal place for a first date or a tete-a-tete.Special Features:
- Mighty finejeffDined on 10/17/2014But you got to like shellfish. Everything was very tasty and I especially enjoyed the oysters Moscow (don't forget to drink the vodka in the shell!). We were not quite full so we ordered the squid as an afterthought and were glad we did; perhaps the most impressive dish we sampled. Excellent and patiently accommodating wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ordinary is not ordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Great food in a really cool setting. Pricey but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh OystersFoodieFromAtlantaDined on 10/17/2014The Ordinary is located inside an old bank building - easy to walk passed it. No private parking - public parking is a few blacks away. Open & louder downstairs (which had the oyster bar and drink bar.) Upstairs there was limited seating but quieter. No significant investment in the ambience (chairs not great, wall decor minimal). Service was attentive without being intrusive; was able to time our drinks, appetizers, small plates and large plates without feeling like we were rushed. Recommend raw oysters, king crab leg (just one 5" portion shelled), scallops. Left with a variety of taste experiences but unfortunately a bit hungry. Very small portions even for the "large" plates. Limited menu. Expensive for amount of food.Special Features:
- Best pure seafood in charlestonAchmeezyVIPDined on 10/16/2014This is the place for a true seafood experience. The oyster sliders are amazing, and the shellfish tower is a must. Not the place for shrimp and grits or she crab soup (plenty of other places), but for an amazing, pure seafood experience this is the by far the best place in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining at The OrdinaryAndrewVIPDined on 10/12/2014We had a fabulous meal -- a variation of the fresh shellfish tripple decker as an appretizer -- followed by the fresh wahoo entree and decadent custard-like dessert topped with a blueberry frost. Just outstanding, as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foor and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014Wonderful seafood. Don't go here wanting a steak - seafood is so good and the service is wonderful. They work well as a teamSpecial Features:
- A food experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014We had an early dinner reservation (there is a lot to see and do in Charleston). Our service was very good, the food was prepared and served very quickly. It's best to visit The Ordinary if everyone in your party is a seafood lover. The menu is very limited if you are only interested in the seafood!Special Features:
- We heart The OrdinaryElls66VIPDined on 10/10/2014We visited The Ordinary as part of a foodie weekend in Charleston.. frankly this town is teeming with hot dining spots so the bar is set high. The service- to a pair of Brits on their first visit - was Southern charm through and through - the manager took time to visit our table and ask for our feedback, the chef was gracious, informative and full of tips for dinner the following night. We shared the double seafood stack.. a glorious mountain of shrimp, oysters, ceviche, lobster and clams, served with several dipping sauces. We also sampled the divine lump crab toast, perfectly flavoured and the freshest squid either of us have ever tasted. The unusual setting in a former bank adds to the glamour and fun of the dining experience. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Seafood LoversOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014If you love seafood (not of the fried variety) this is a great special occasion place (or regular place if you have many more dollars than I have). Don't pass up the house made Hawaiian Rolls.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014Outstanding food. Every bite was delicious. Server friendly, knowledgable but not pretentious. Hostess very kind and accommodating as we were eating with my 93 year old mother. She was right there to offer help. Great experience.Special Features:
- Great Date Spot -get the prix fixe!natifoodieDined on 10/5/2014The Ordinary has a 3 course prix fixe menu that rotates daily - for only $35/person, the quality and amount of food is almost a steal. The setting is just noisy enough to feel busy, but still makes for an easy setting to relax and chat. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to couples in charleston looking for an easy romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Named appropriatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/3/2014Since I love FIG and seafood thought I would like the Ordianry. wrong! Food was disappointing, very few vegetable side dishes, loud, wine and cocktail list average at best. Will not go back.
- BillDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I had the prix fixe lobster which was good and well priced at $35. The fish chowder course was excellent and alone was worth the trip. The Hawaiian roll bread pudding was excellent also. I would be back there in a minute.Special Features:
- Perfect dateLocal22Dined on 10/2/2014We loved the vibrant flavored seafood and the unique environment to match. Our waitress knew the menu very well, which was helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Shellfsh77mtvernonDined on 10/2/2014If you are a shellfish fan, and not concerned about price, this is the place for you. Outstanding fresh oysters, clams, lobster, crab and shrimp--most from local waters--prepared simply and well. But it's not a place for the budget conscious--be prepared to go over $100-$150 for two.Special Features:
- The Ordinary--anything but!jbndiningDined on 10/1/2014The Ordinary did not disappoint. It was anything but ordinary. Good wine selection, great bar atmosphere while waiting for our friends to arrive. An interesting menu. Unfortunately, we went late and just had wonderful salads and soup. My husband had the chowder and loved it. I had the cucumber and small bits of fish. It also was great. I had the butternut squash soup--YUM. We look forward to visiting the Ordinary on our next visit to Charleston. We are only a little more than and hour away in Beaufort.Special Features:
- One of the top places in CharlestonBillVIPDined on 10/1/2014After eating at the Charleston Grill and other places in Charleston, we went to the Ordinary. We ordered off of the appetizer menu and each dish was better than the last. After the crab toast, fresh sardines, pickled shrimp, and the broiled oysters, we were very happy. The wine list was good and overall, this is one to put on your must visit list.Special Features:
- Eclectic SeafoodtravelingkatVIPDined on 9/28/2014A great experience ... had to go early on a Sunday night to get in to this very popular Charleston eatery. This is NOT a place if you don't like seafood, particularly shellfish. Menu is somewhat limited, but what we ordered was wonderful. Service was excellent ... with servers telling you "this is your dining adventure" so order how you wish. They are very knowledgeable and offer suggestions. We had to stay at the bar at the end of our meal due to weather, and that turned out to be enjoyable too. The restaurant is located in a beautiful old bank building. All this being said, this was the hardest restaurant to get a reservation for (and the only to call to confirm), and yet it would be 4 or 5 among our favorites. Just too limited.Special Features:
- Great Place to EatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014One thing on the menu was better than the next. The servers were very helpful in recommending what to try and the service was fast and friendly. Loved sharing several small plates as a group. Would definitely go back again. Price was great, especially for the quality of food. I highly recommend the ordinary for any occasion.Special Features:
- DocDiamondDined on 9/27/2014The Ordinary came highly recommended and the food was very good. I was a bit disappointed by the limited menue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordinary reviewWillYUMDined on 9/27/2014The food was amazing, the razor clams were our favorite. We also ordered one of the shellfish towers, the seafood was cold and fresh- very important when eating raw seafood. Maitake mushrooms in sunchoke sauce was earthy and brightly balanced, the sauce did not overpower the mushroom's natural flavor. The service was a little slow to start and the bartenders could have been more suggestive and friendly- I would have preferred my recommendations to come from them instead of the couple dining next to me.Special Features:
- A great dining experienceiluv2eatDined on 9/26/2014We dined on a Friday night and couldn't be more pleased. Our waiter was great-spent plenty of time and thoroughly explained the dishes and how best to order. We chose the Friday special-a succulent Maine lobster that was quite a bit larger than what you usually get. The squash soup that accompanied the dish and the panna cotta were both great-very tasty and well presented. The other order consisted of the fish stew chowder-also very good with a lot of fish, followed by the razor clams(excellent taste but too small) and then the oysters and beef tartare. The last one is a bit unusual and interesting-the oysters for me were the best part. Quite an experience-excellent food in a noisy place and one that is quite pricey.Special Features:
- Absolute best seafood in Charlestonluv2eatoutDined on 9/24/2014Love this place always!!! We come here for every special occasion or a craving for delicious oysters and unique seafood dishes that are more than delicious!Special Features:
- loudjanjVIPDined on 9/24/2014wonderful shell fish too much noise to enjoy conversationSpecial Features:
- Great food and drinks.ChelseaDined on 9/19/2014Loved all the food, I think the pate was my favorite. The inside of the restaurant is very beautiful but be prepared for a high noise level. I would suggest to everyone unless someone would be bothered by a louder than usual environment. Dreaming about the pate....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great resturauntmjordan56Dined on 9/19/2014The service was phenomenal and personal. Our waiter, Adam, was knowledgable, friendly, and professional. The presentation of the food was inviting and the quality was exceptional. I will recommend The Ordinary highly. My girlfriend is in the hotel business and will recommend it to the guests. The Ordinary is not so ordinary. We have been to many resturaunts in Charleston, and The Ordinary is number 1.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No subsitutesPageDined on 9/19/2014The menu has food groupings designed for the ultimate tasting experience. If you ask for the fish chowder rather than the clam chowder they will not sub. Same with the rice puddings and probably all items listed. Very loud and hard to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Would not go againLinlooDined on 9/18/2014Too noisy, too expensive, nothing special about food, over ratedSpecial Features:
- Great seafood!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014Had the tower which was delicious. The cold lobster roll had a bit too much mayonnaise. Service excellent. Noise level a bit too much for a comfortable conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surely Not ORDINARYflowersVIPDined on 9/17/2014The menu may not read wow!!! but this place is the perfect seafood lover paradise!! We had Wahoo pate ...perfectly smoked Our entrees were an outstanding..esp the Scamp grouper with "clam chowder"!! delicous!!! The buttermilk panna cotta was melt in your mouth delicousSpecial Features:
- Seafood havenLindaDined on 9/17/2014A must for the seafood lover with a chance to sample by the piece. Wonderful, energetic, knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the OrdinaryEddieTDined on 9/16/2014Had dinner with my wife on Tuesday night. We had lots and lots of oysters. The smoked oyster appetizer was outstanding as was the fried oysters with beef tartare. We ordered everything we tried twice. If you love oysters as we do The Ordinary is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveDwr1157Dined on 9/13/2014Atmosphere is great. Prices,not so much. $15 for a small glass Of wine (5oz). Food was good but for over $250 a couple, there are better choices in Charleston. We won't be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteTinaZDined on 9/13/2014We wouldn't come to Charleston without a stop at the Ordinary. The reuse of the old bank is brilliant, the oysters laying out is a huge temptation, the wait staff is friendly and extremely knowledgeable. Every bite is worth the price.Special Features:
- Great seafoodcoppersmithDined on 9/13/2014I absolutely love this place! The decor is awesome especially the lights and huge windows. I love the seafood towers. If you have the time and means get the triple tower. It comes with quite the variety of choices. This time it had goose neck barnacles with were interesting and tasty where as last time it was topped with a razor clam salad which was amazing. I love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VeronicaDined on 9/13/2014The food, as always, was great, but the menu is not extensive and sometimes a bit hard to order from....although they often have intriguing things on the manu...this time it was barnacles!Special Features:
- Not up to usual standardsKathythefoodie123Dined on 9/12/2014I was disappointed that the food and service were not up to the usual top quality standards. Prefer consistency if I choose this restaurant to take my visitors to.Special Features:
- Great Experience, but too priceyCasualdinerDined on 9/12/2014This was the first time at the Ordinary and I would say overall everything was high marks. Everything that we ordered was superb and the service was amongst the best I have experienced in the Charleston culinary scene. The only negative comment that I would make is that I think the menu items are too pricey for what you get. The portion sizes are rather small and everything is ala carte. If you just got paid, and your wallet is full….head to the Ordinary. Again, great job Ordinary staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.