914 Howell Mill Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30318Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoptimistrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4044776260x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Adam Evans
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Optimist has a variety of event spaces that include bar events, restaurant buy outs and semi-private dining for up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Miranda Hudson 4043555311x12
- Special Events: Please contact Miranda Hudson at email@example.com for special event information.
A word from The Optimist
The Optimist and Oyster Bar at The Optimist is simply "The Hamptons meets The South." We are passionate about sourcing sustainable seafood and preparing it in classic ways. We're not reinventing the wheel -- just perfectly roasting "farm," fish and shellfish over Georgia hickory. Menu items range from the most authentic seafood gumbo with "pot luck" garlic bread to Maine lobster rolls, Gulf grouper with smoky spring Vidalias, and an ever changing selection of super fresh East and West coast oysters. The cool irony is that we have adapted a historic country ham aging "house" into an amazing space of comfort and escape through inspirations of coastal surf culture.Continued
Oh... and if you are not a seafood person, we LOVE meat too! No worries, be optimistic! :) ...Ford and Adam
Oh... and if you are not a seafood person, we LOVE meat too! No worries, be optimistic! :) ...Ford and Adam
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Optimist - Best Restaurants in West Midtown ›
The Optimist reviews from OpenTable diners
514 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (360)special occasion (273)hot spot (248)neighborhood gem (187)vibrant bar scene (176)good for groups (145)romantic (121)great for lunch (102)notable wine list (97)great for outdoor dining (41)late-night find (40)great for brunch (32)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (10)Show More
- Too PopularJLGOVIPDined on 8/27/2014Can a restaurant be too popular? In this case, YES. The food is excellent - what little there was of it. 4 scallops for $29 and a FEW vegetables. The service was TOO attentive. They removed my bread before I ate it. What's with that? I guess everything must be removed before the next course is served - without asking? And it is so popular -- the noise level is through the roof. Couldn't hear anything without shouting.Special Features:
- FairOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014I like Optimist but would not order the mussels. They are expensive, tiny (size of a dime) but broth is good. I specifically asked server if they were a good size and was told that they were. Otherwise, good restaurant but expensive.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Sea Food was excellent and creative. Good service. Will be back many times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The ac was on Higuaín... Of i was was siitting in the wrong area but I was cold. The bread was salty.
- jelleDined on 8/26/2014We have found the food at the Optimist is always amazing and DELISH!Special Features:
- Great lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014The lobster roll was perfect and their take on fried rice is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great southern seafoodBbbbbbDined on 8/25/2014Found the restaurant on Atlanta's top 50 list and was not disappointed. Delicious oysters, swordfish and hush puppies.Special Features:
- perfect dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014Went to the Optimist for our son's 25th birthday dinner! Oh my gosh - it was absolutely perfect! Amazing atmosphere! Just enough music, liveliness. We were there for 3 hours! The food was incredible - the blends of seasonings and combination of ingredients made everything we ate (all seafood) taste unbelievable. Our waitress took her time in explaining the menu and helping each of us make our meal selections to ensure that our dining experience was fulfilled. I can't say enough good things about it - made for a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014This was a group of coworkers. It was a team building of sorts. The atmosphere was conducive to relaxation and bonding over food and drinks. The food is excellent. The atmosphere puts the spot over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!BarbieDined on 8/24/2014Our waiter, Stefano was knowledgeable regarding the menu choices and recommended a great wine to go with our entrée choices. The food is a little pricey but worth it in the end. The wait staff was helpful, friendly and professional. I wouldn't have taken children to this type of restaurant, but there were a few quiet children there with their families. Reservations were made three weeks in advance for a Sunday evening.Special Features:
- Birthday eventOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014Great birthday dinner for my wife...window table, great service, great food...desert with candle to top off the evening.Special Features:
- FoodToots05Dined on 8/23/2014The food was great, atmosphere was Great, not too fancy as far as attireSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We had a pleasant dinner at the optimist. The Food was delicious and the ambience just outstanding. The portions of every course are perfectly balanced so that everybody can enjoy appetizer, entrée and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SybOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014The Optimist has everything! Great atmosphere, phenomenal food, killer cocktails. If you're in Atlanta, this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The emperor has no clothes.LindaDined on 8/22/2014First the good - the design of the restaurant was carefully planned and beautifully executed. The music was dynamic and the playlist should be downloadable. The cocktails and the wine list were notable. Now, the not so good - the food and service. After our hamachi amuse the food began to falter. The octopus and the fried oysters were aggressively seasoned with jalapeno - to the point that we needed a glass of milk to continue the meal. Fish came cool to the table. A friend joined us halfway through our meal and even after she managed to order an appetizer and a glass of wine it took forever to get them to the table. Once this place gets busy, it seems that service starts to crawl. Despite all the hype, this is a one and done for us.Special Features:
- reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Our dinner was awesome! I made our reservation via open table the day of our dinner. I requested 7:30 (crazy I know!) but was offered 5:45 or 9:45. I took 5:45. When we got there and were seated, the restaurant was very quiet and certainly not full. Not sure I would use Open Table again if I could call the restaurant directly and get the time I preferred...the website offered Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OptimistOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014Be sure to bring cash for parking. Unlike other area restaurants - the valet parking has a modest $2 fee prior to tip. The raw bar has an excellent mahi dish that we would recommend for an appetizer. Once inside the main dining room, fish entree tasted fresh and was thoughtfully prepared. The tomato salad was delicious and was partially sourced from a local farm. The pre-dinner bread was out of this world. Our server attempted to rush us through our meal and showed "bad form" by picking up the check the moment that we had signed the slip; the server soured this dining experience for us. Aside from the sloppy service, we love this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CinziaDined on 8/21/2014I thought the seafood chowder excellent; the unrequested appetizer brought to my table less than okay (a fish dish with hot peppers); the hushpuppies outstanding; the swordfish a bit overcooked but the remaining condiments on it great. I could not find a draft beer that I wanted, such as Bass Ale or Stella Artois.Special Features:
- Terrific fish and cocktailsweezy335VIPDined on 8/20/2014Superb food, clever cocktails. Truly enjoyable dining experience without pretense or affect. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- All it was billed to beSNOOKYDined on 8/19/2014I was told this is "the spot" and they were right. Great place great food. Not overpriced. Will be back.Special Features:
- Amazing Always!Mlt1VIPDined on 8/19/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in Atlanta. It was amazing and continues to surpass all expectations!Special Features:
- Great place for biz dinnerATLBuckeyeDined on 8/19/2014Once again---great service (by Teddie) and great menu offering!Special Features:
- Great seafoodrtpivVIPDined on 8/17/2014The Optimist gets a lot of buzz in Atlanta, and rightfully so. It's convenient to downtown or Midtown in an old repurposed building and Chef Ford Fry's food is exceptional. The roasted octopus appetizer was incredible, as was the selection of raw oysters. The fire-roasted fish were perfect. We didn't get up the courage to try the whole snapper, but it looked great. The only dish that we all thought could have been better was the she-crab soup. The Optimist is considered one of the top restaurants in the south, for good reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- globaldineDined on 8/17/2014From the start, the restaurant created a bad impression. The valet service was a pay upfront - which I almost never encounter - especially at any upscale establishments. The acoustics were terrible inside and it was difficult to have a conversation. The worst part was the food. The chef killed good food with spices and sauces that obliterated the taste. For instance, both the gumbo and fried oysters were rendered completely tasteless due to over spicing in the case of the gumbo and placing the oysters in an exceptionally spicy sauce. We both left the oysters in the plate. Having a house in Louisiana, I am accustomed to gumbo and other Southern dishes with spices. This was just torturing the food.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/17/2014Excellent food. The oysters were incredible. Excellent service and the bluberry ice cream sandwiches for desert were outstanding.Special Features:
- Very good., but way over pricedFrequentdinerVIPDined on 8/17/2014No sides come with entre's not a steakhouse. Food is good but not exceptional to charge those prices.Special Features:
- A Gem!SouthernFoodiesDined on 8/16/2014The Optimist is a great find in a re-developing area of the city. With a menu that spans nearly every taste and nothing that disappointed, I would feel confident bringing business guests here as well as sharing an evening with that special someone. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance, the service, the delicious food, and the wonderful libations that capped the night. We both agree that this is one of our best dining experiences at an Atlantan restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but snack beforehandgoboseDined on 8/16/2014Prices are higher than St Cecilia and the wait staff is many notches below Lure. Quantity is absurdly small for the price. Scallops will get you 4 of them for $29.00 without any sides. The 3" square fish filet will cost you $25+. The wait staff is laid back in a bad way. Their dress is jeans, and if they forget to bring bread out; oh well. Limited/superficial knowledge of the items on the menu. Distribute the food in wrong order, go to Lure and compare. Come dressed as nautical preppy. You know, guys without socks in loafers or hairy legged shorts, and some un-tucked shirt. The high ceiling is awesome in this old warehouse building and is impressive to enter. Great layout. Parking guys bottomed out my car on their speed bump!Special Features:
- Love the OptimistHungrylikeawolfDined on 8/16/2014We have been to the Optimist several times and have not been disappointed. The entrees are always fabulous, and Mike's cocktails are delicious. The salted caramel ice cream and chocolate creme brulee dessert are phenomenal.Special Features:
- Oysters!MissFrizzle007Dined on 8/16/2014My mom, sister, great-aunt, and I enjoyed a very nice dinner here Saturday night. I was the only raw oyster fan in the group, and the oyster bar at The Optimist is worth visiting if you are a raw oyster fan! My family enjoyed the cod, halibut, and octopus dishes, but I would go back for oysters again!Special Features:
- Wow!rmb5602Dined on 8/15/2014I was trying to impress a date for her birthday and boy did I! We both wanted to discover a new restaurant. The food was outstanding! Before last night the best swordfish I ever had was made by my Mother, but she no longer holds that crown. Our server was also absolutely outstanding, never overbearing, but also never gone to long. I wish I remembered his name, I will next time! Our dining experience was perfect. Blueberry Ice Cream sandwiches! C'mon man! They were delicious! Can't wait to go back and try something new!Special Features:
- GoodFoodOnlyDined on 8/15/2014Wonderful drink menue and fantastic oaster bar. A must visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but...GracefullyDined on 8/15/2014Great food and ambiance but we were set in an odd little corner near the servers station which diminished the overall experience. Felt like we had been bad children sitting in the corner til we apologized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014Awesome menu especially after the regular lunch crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodbillymacDined on 8/14/2014Food was great. Service was good when the waiter was there, but he was hard to find a good bit of the time. Pretty noisy.Special Features:
- tonyaVIPDined on 8/14/2014The oysters are great! We ordered the chef selection. They were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Atlanta's bestEssEmDined on 8/13/2014It's the trendy, coastal, and vibrant. The cocktails are spectacular and the food is portioned appropriately. Order sides with your entrée, and don't pass up the oyster bar!Special Features:
- Highly recommendDustyDined on 8/13/2014The number of different kinds of oysters was interesting. The server was informed and excited about the food. I took my daughter there to celebrate her birthday, and we both really enjoyed it. We had oysters on the half shell (3 different kinds), tuna, swordfish and the scallops. Peach pie for dessert. We both agreed that it was one of the best meals ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love it hereKAtlantaVIPDined on 8/13/2014Had a great birthday lunch with a group of girls and our waiter took very good care of us. The food was very good as always. I had the ceasar oyster salad which was delicious and the key lime pie-- yum!! The noise level is high, so try and book at off hours if you have a hard time hearing. Great, fun spot!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/11/2014Fantastic. Can't wiat to go back and get the halibut.I would recommend this to a friend.