The Old Waterway Inn
1660-1700 W. RIverside Drive
Atlantic City, NJ 08401Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Old Waterway Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldwaterwayinn.com/
- Phone: 6093471793
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 2:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Hosting a private event? Let the Old Waterway Inn's professional staff cater to you! From the smallest corporate event to the largest social event, we can handle it all!
- Entertainment: Dine on our deck, where you can enjoy buckets of seafood, gourmet burgers and appetizers, or even our full dining menu while you enjoy the sounds of contemporary classics played by local musicians, a caribbean beat and reggae, or as night falls, the sounds of Motown and top 40 as you dance the night away on the water, while the breathtaking view of Atlantic City's Casinos beckons you from a distance. This summer, the "Lulu Deck" at the Old Waterway Inn is the place to be seen!
- Cross Street: Grammercy
- Public Transit: Venice Park
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There is plenty of room to park your car in one of our two parking lots located across the street and also adjacent to the restaurant. If you are traveling by boat, we are located at mile marker 199 on the Intercoastal Waterway and have plenty of dockage space!
A word from The Old Waterway Inn
The Old Waterway Inn has been a staple with the local Atlantic City community since the early 1900's. Originally built by the Free Masons, it was known as the LuLu Temple Yacht Club. Take a stroll through time back to the place prohibition era gangsters used as a stopover before delivering their bootleg liquor. Sit by our fireplace on a chilly night while you gaze at the breathtaking view of the Atlantic City skyline and enjoy a taste of our new menu featuring a raw bar. Hang out on our deck on a balmy night to enjoy a burger or some oysters. Pull up on your jet ski or boat, and listen to the sounds of a reggae band. At the Old Waterway Inn, we promise to satisfy everyone! From the classic dishes to the most updated cuisine, we use only the freshest ingredients from local places. Stop by for a cocktail and appetizer and see what the buzz is about. Mile Marker 199 on the Intercoastal!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Old Waterway Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great View- That's About ItKristaDined on 6/23/2012My fiance and I came across this place and despite the awful reviews online, we saw they had a deck and we wanted to dine outdoors so we gave it a shot. The view on the water is AMAZING but their deck is older and I bounced slightly on every footstep taken by another person. Our waiter was nice but seemed preoccupied and not only forgot our drinks multiple times (we didn't get them till we were halfway done our entrees) but brought us the wrong soup. The soup was a watered down bisque and our entrees (from the menu- not specials) were bland and definitely not worth the money we were charged. This is the first place I came across on Open Table that does not sit up to par with the other places I've been to using this service.Special Features:
- the resturant has a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2012the resturant has a great view of the waterway it's a shame it smelled like varnish inside. When we arrived and saw there were no cars in the parking lot we should have turned around. But we thought, maybe they have great food. We ordered Martini's and thought they couldn't mess them up. Each of us ordered a different one and all of us were disappointed, for the second round we thought we'd try a differt one in hopes it would be better. However they were not. The food was so-so and the bill seemed quiet expensive for what we had. A very dissappointing experience we will never forget. We laughed a lot about how bad it was.Special Features:
- It's Christmas Eve, We arriveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/24/2011It's Christmas Eve, We arrive on time for what we anticipate will be something special. We entered the restaurant it's dark and cool. We are seated and drinks are ordered. We order our meals, and wait about thirty minutes for our food to arrive. As my steak is being carried to the table it is knocked to the floor by a swinging door. It is then inspected by the manager and server. A side door is opened and the remains of my meal swept into the backwaters of Atlantic City bay. The server buys the table another round of drinks as my second steak is prepared. It comes to the table cooked well done, medium and rare. The other steaks all over cooked. Worse restaurant meal and worse, the worse Christmas eve ever. Will never go back.Special Features:
- We booked our reservationdatenightDined on 12/11/2011We booked our reservation for our anniversary because we had our wedding there 14 years ago. Our experience was sad. The restaurant was empty. There were only 2 other occupied tables. The restaurant was running by a generator! The lovely fireplace was not even lit on a cold evening in December.
- We've been to The Old Waterwayluv2eatDined on 11/29/2011We've been to The Old Waterway Inn approximately 10 times over the years. It continues to remain the same with no updating. They use to serve wonderful seafood entres and desserts, but that doesn't seem to be the case any longer. We were there mid week and were the only ones having dinner. I'm not sure we'll return.
- This used to be a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/19/2011This used to be a wonderful spot for a good view of AC and a good meal. The view still exists but the food has not. Seafood tasted bad, sauces looked old and gray, nothing looked or tasted good. Gordon Ramsey should give this place a make-over.
- My wife and I arrived at 6:45tortsDined on 10/9/2011My wife and I arrived at 6:45 for a 7:00 pm reservation. We were seated promptly and waited on immediately. My wife ordered three "jumbo" shrimp as her appetizer and I ordered the steamed clams. We waited 45 minutes before the appetizers were served only to get three tiny shrimp and one dozen small clams. When we complained about the delay we waited another 30 minutes for the entrees. The entrees were not bad. The waiter said the cooks were overwhelmed by the crowd but there was only 6 occupied tables in the place. Its too bad they have such trouble because the view is gorgeous.
- I found the restaurant charming.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2011I found the restaurant charming. The food was delicious. There were many specials not on the me that sounded great. The views of the bay were beautiful. I've lived in this area for 25 years and never even knew this restaurant was here. I wish I had discovered it before now. I'm sure I will be returning because there were many things on the menu I want to try. The service was excellent. I would recommend everyone try it.Special Features:
- Love the crab cakesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2011Loved Old Waterway Inn...will be back.Crab cakes outstanding.Special Features:
- PedestrianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2011We found the food to be average. The building has so much history and charm yet the walls seemed empty and the history was not celebrated. The view is spectacular but it will need an upgrade to the menu items for me to return.Special Features:
- DownhillOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2011Having been there before I was extremely upset with the poor service and worse food at high prices. My steak was tough and chewy and my wife broiled seafood combination was fair at best. When advising our server that my steak was tough and chewy and my baked potato was brown instead of white she told me she was sorry. Never did the manager or owner come to our table. I would not recommend this restaurant as it appears to have gone way down hill.Special Features:
- Not a good mealMartySVIPDined on 8/22/2011I arrived for my 7:15 reservation on time. When our server Rocco arrived he told us about the specials this was my 6th visit this season. Cold food luke warm rice (sent Back) I explained to our server I like my soup boiling hot it came out cold (sent back) our appetizers took and were not served until about 8:10 it was not busy no reason for poor food service. My main dish came out luke warm and not with the extra sauce I had requested. We left about 9:25 poor service cold food and I like this place.Special Features:
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2011The restaurant inside smelled bad so we asked to be seated on the deck. We were seated in the cheap plastic chairs and got to enjoy the lovely second hand smoke from all sides. Robert Irvine should do an episode of Restaurant Impossible at this place, everything needs to be updated at this place. The mystique is gone! My wife and I both ordered appetizers, she got her soup and my appetizer came out a minute before my entree! Her entree was a soupy mess when it was supposed to be a classic creamy seafood dish, we were both very disappointed in the meal. Oh and there were no salads with our entrees...? What restaurant doesn't offer a salad with an entree that costs over $20? We won't be dining there ever again.
- Just average - food and serviceTrialgirlVIPDined on 8/20/2011Just average - food and service -- what is it with that musty oder when you walk in?
- Loved the PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2011We had a great time. The server was excellent and the food great..a bit pricey, but great. the view from the outdoor deck is extraordinary, especially at night. The DJ was a pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- Under the new ownership, theRobertDined on 8/16/2011Under the new ownership, the quality seems to have been reduced; the prices have increased.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2011Longtime customer; went for my dad's birthday. New menu (new management?): much fewer choices, specialty beer selection gone. My folks loved flounder francaise but my stuffed flounder was over-seasoned; lobster/corn soup was flour-y and tortellini soup had 2. Great waiter. More disappointed in ambiance, disorganization. Desperately needs paint job; drapes were clearly removed, cracks, holes. And I'd gotten note from manager that my OT requests (deck seating - OWI's deck/view are its best features, birthday candle in dessert) were confirmed. But arrived to find deck closed due to DJ and music (whose huge drape blocked customers' ocean view!) and I had to remind them about the birthday minutes ahead of the check. Won't be heading back soon.
- The deck is great but veryDiningoutDined on 8/11/2011The deck is great but very noisy and the new bar makes it even more noisy. The food is good but expensive.Special Features:
- Service was good but the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2011Service was good but the food was just average for the cost. Great outside porch with beautiful views.Special Features:
- Service good, food mediocoreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2011Service good, food mediocore and very pricey. Had a restaurant.com $25.00 certificate but would not go without one. The gratuity was included on the check, but the server did not tell us,nor was it indicated on the check. We had to question the amount and only then were we told that gratuity was included.Special Features:
- Food was tasty however portionsTeeTimeMikeDined on 7/30/2011Food was tasty however portions were a little skimpy (seafood imperial was basically a cheesy sauce with little seafood). Sampler soups were fabulous. I"d go back to try different item as menu had quite a variety. Very nice scenery being on the water also great views of Atamtic City skyline.Special Features:
- Nice but not as advertisedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2011Not exactly what I had thought. We ate out on the patio. I thought this restaurant was going to be more upscale and romantic but the patio has a definite sports bar feel to it. I thought it was too expensive for the casual ambiance out on the patio (including plastic tables and cups) but perhaps it's not that bad for the AC area? I feel like this place is going through an identity crisis. Is it a laid back bar and restaurant on the water with tvs and bob marley playing? (Answer is yes and menu should be adjusted to reflect this) Or is it an upscale italian restaurant with a romantic water front setting? (I'm guessing it once was- but is no longer). The staff was very friendly but it took us almost an hour to get our food.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/28/2011Nice restaurant, good food very well prepared. Nice ambience on waterway.Special Features:
- Deck needs a makeover...Pricey...EcoChuckDined on 7/26/2011View of Atlantic City is wonderful but there is a bar that blocks most of it. You can get a good view from some of the tables. Food and service were fine. However the specials were over the top $35 $45. Not what I'd pay to eat on a deck with no design and bad lighting. The deck is 'no frills', no table cloths, standard plastic chairs. There are a couple of spot lights that shine in your face depending on which way you are sitting. We decided that we wouldn't go back. We'll go to Doc's down the road instead.Special Features:
- We found this restaurant doingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2011We found this restaurant doing a random search. We loved it. The outdoor dining was beautiful and relaxing. The prices were very reasonable and a lot cheaper than the restaurants in the casino. The food was great and every one was very friendly. The only small issue was the service was a little slow. We were a little nervous about making our show, but it ended up being fine.Special Features:
- Dinner and a ViewMartySVIPDined on 7/21/2011Nice place for a quite dinner looking at inner coastal water way.Special Features:
- The day we had reservations,experience5sdinerVIPDined on 7/17/2011The day we had reservations, the band was playing on the deck very loud... but inside it was ok we had 700pm reservations and arrived at 645pm We were told to wait 15 minutes, however there were at least 15 tables available and no one came in from the time we arrived until 700pm. The service was fine. The food was prepared well. and the view was nice. I do think the receptionist should get her act togetherSpecial Features:
- Very, very good food. BeautifulYoMismoDined on 7/16/2011Very, very good food. Beautiful views from dining room and deck. Wait staff is a little green and rough around the edges. In a few weeks this place should be running @ 100%.Special Features:
- Food was great. Except forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2011Food was great. Except for dessert. Tasted like a frozen cake that had been thawed. Cake was wet. We told them about it and there was no offer to replace it with soemthing else or remove it from the bill. Manager came over to ask about the dessert. Same response. Otherwise it was great!Special Features:
- We left the restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/10/2011We left the restaurant with mixed feelings. Food was very good along with the service, but the dining room left a lot to be desired. There were no window coverings which would have been fine if the walls had been painted after the cornices and drapes were removed. It was a hot evening, so we didn't want to eat outdoors. If we return, we will opt to eat on the deck and enjoy the view. Although the food was good, it was overpriced especially since soup or salad was not included.
- horrible, took one and halfshorejonVIPDined on 7/9/2011horrible, took one and half hours for appetizers (soup!), so we left before main course.Special Features:
- The Waterway Inn was a pleasantBonnieVIPDined on 7/5/2011The Waterway Inn was a pleasant dining experience, although it is hidden away in a residential neighborhood. Kind of difficult to locate, and the pricing is kind of steep. I would however make a return visit.Special Features:
- Nothing Old about Ol'Waterway InnOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/4/2011It was 10:30PM on 4th of July & we were hungry.I made a reservation as they were closing, they honored our request and I was so Glad they did. What a view, what great food, where has this place been all my life? Only a 10 minute drive from Brigantine, the Old Waterway Inn is exactly the kind of place you don't find anymore. On the water, you have views of the casinos, boats coming in, wildlife, its breath-taking, & not to mention the food! Their crabcakes are tremendous! You are sure to enjoy this Ol'Splendor for years to come.Special Features:
- The food was very bland.KathleenVIPDined on 7/2/2011The food was very bland. Soups that are supposed to be thick were watery. Things on the menu including drinks did not come out as described. The restaurant itself is run down and decor is way outdated. We had reservations and there were plenty of seats and they made us wait 10 minutes. Wine by the glass selection is terrible. They say they have sangria and they don't. Don't let the lure of outdoor dining fool you. This place is in a far away location from ac and on the bay and the outdoor section is on a small deck. If your looking for great fresh seafood this is NOT the place to go.Special Features:
- MUCH better with new chef, priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/2/2011The food is MUCH better with the new chef, but the prices are kind of high for a place that is currently undergoing renovations, during their busy season. If you look past the renovations and the dumpster, the view is spectacular. The staff is definitely new, but eager to provide you will good service. The deck bar seems like a nice addition as well.Special Features:
- In a death spiralGMrWunnerfulDined on 6/30/2011OWI seems to be suffering the same death spiral that is affecting a lot of Atlantic City. Service was off schedule and resulted in entree steak being overcooked. Entree served before time allowed to enjoy a salad. Rushed! No attempt to remedy by staff and no manager seemed to be on duty. Food was fair, but not worth the prices. DO NOT RECOMMEND this restaurant!
- The seafood was very good.earlybirddiners2Dined on 6/27/2011The seafood was very good. Priceing acceptable. If you eat on the deck, your drinks are served in plastic glasses. Never acceptable. Service was so-so. Second round of drinks had a wine change, but still got the same as first round.Special Features:
- This restaurant has an excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/26/2011This restaurant has an excellent view of downtown Atlantic City across the water. The restaurant sits right on the beach. The food was nothing too special, but the service was very good. I got the feeling that this is a place that people who live in Atlantic City actually eat, and it has a laid back feeling. There was a band playing on the deck and everyone has having a good time, including the staff.Special Features:
- Excellent local seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2011This is a phenomenal restaurant! It provides an incredible view of the Atlantic City strip, as well as a very creative menu. I had the Lobster Bisque and my husband had the Crab Gnocci Alfredo. Both were delicious, and they did not skimp on the seafood portions. Our waiter was incredibly attentive and courteous. It is a relaxed atmosphere with a great deck and docks for those who want to drop in for dinner right off the boat. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- I thought the food was terrible,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/24/2011I thought the food was terrible, and it has gotten really expensive.