The Old Sage
1410 12th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Old Sage
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://theoldsageseattle.com/
- Phone: 2065577430x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Brian McCracken & Dana Tough
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chefs Brian McCracken and Dana Tough can create a custom menu for you special event based on you specific needs.
A word from The Old Sage
The shadowy allure of The Old Sage offers Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood an urban hearth celebrating humble meats and vegetables. Under the street art gaze of a teetotal-ling, abstemious City pioneer on the wall, guests of The Old Sage Smoked Meats & Malts enjoy skillfully smoked meats and seafood crafted by two chefs recognized as some of the nation’s best: Brian McCracken and Dana Tough. The Chefs use unique smoking techniques, different from traditionally smoked meats, to draw out delicious flavors. Simple meats, starches and vegetables are revered here. And, for sipping, good, malty beers and whiskies are the cornerstone of The Old Sage bar… where liquor satisfies those less moderate in this city of pioneers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Old Sage reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (16)neighborhood gem (10)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)romantic (3)late-night find (3)special occasion (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Definitely deliciousZoesEatsDined on 10/3/2014My friends and I went to The Old Sage for a birthday celebration. Our group of 8 was welcomed with a reserved spot in the lounge for us to relax and enjoy some of the many great whiskey selections. We never felt rushed and really loved being able to sit and chat and laugh before moving over to our table for dinner. While the food menu may seem small, everything that we tried was amazing. We found ourselves trying to decipher the flavors in each dish and loved the variety of textures. Everything was perfectly cooked and seasoned. Even better was our service. Thadious was amazing. He helped us with drink options and deciding on our meals all while helping us feel welcome and very much taken care of. All in all it was an excellent evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014On a Friday night the place was relatively empty in a busy area. That probably should have been a sign. We got our drink orders taken quickly but waited 15 minutes for them. Then when we ordered our food she said the kitchen was small and that it'd take a while for food especially because of some of the things we ordered (e.g. Monte Cristo). Not a huge deal but that was pretty much the last we saw of the server. We had asked the man busing tables for our server twice but she never came out so he ended up taking our orders. It seemed like there was only one server for the place but it was pretty empty and it should have been easily manageable. I'd say a large portion of the time, she was in the back doing who knows what. Food was meh.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Best scotch collection I've seen - well served and great choices.Special Features:
- Solidly delicious, accommodatingnakedtonueVIPDined on 9/10/2014Love their new happy hour menu. Their burger is tender, flavorful, and comes on a house made bun. Delightful. Peach shrub is maybe my new favorite.Special Features:
- get your protein fixjemerdeuseDined on 8/29/2014Unbelievable proteins smoked by deft hands paired with interesting grains. Don't miss the puffed sour bread or the duck wings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just right for some folksbobwseattleVIPDined on 7/24/2014Our vegetarian had a very hard time figuring out a meal here. The rest of us had good food from their somewhen limited menu. Their clear focus on smoked foods and drinks serves them well as the food and drinks were very good.Special Features:
- Great for tapas styleToboDined on 7/11/2014The food was unique, beautiful and delicious. Our party of two shared five dishes and a dessert. The hamburger was spectacular. The other dishes were great, too. Service was just right. The walls were opened, and we enjoyed the summer night.Special Features:
- gammaDined on 7/10/2014Matt the chef was amazing, I have special dietary needs and he was very helpful in accommodating me. The food was AMAZING, and the service was excellent. While the menu is not extensive the group I was with tried most of the appetizers and we had 3 of the main courses. All were exceptional. I highly recommend Old Sage.Special Features:
- The following 29 reviews are from the The Old Sage reviews archive.
- The Old Sage - a gem for foodiesYogaGalDined on 5/30/2014The Old Sage is perfect for whiskey lovers and folks who want a new food experience. The vibrant pickled veggies burst with flavor. The smoked meats are distinct in character and charm. The presentation is masterful. Service wonderful. I wish they had more wine to choose from but I tried my first scotch and it was smokey and gave a fun memory for our group to end our meal with! Fabulous dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great small plates, nice cocktailsskiKKDined on 5/22/2014It was a slow Thursday night. grabbed a two-top by the window. Only complaint about the ambiance is that the music is too loud in some spots. Waiter was great - friendly and knowledgeable. The cocktails were excellent and masterfully created. Started with Pickled Vege's with our cocktails, then ordered a few plates. Second minor complaint is that the food came too fast. We hadn't even gotten through 1/2 the cocktail or the veges. The food was excellently prepared with thoughtful and creative presentation. Be forewarned - the plates are small. These are tapas size servings at entree sized price tag. head of pig, was thin sliced and had great sauce, the Amberjack was served under glass with smoke. beautiful and tasty.Special Features:
- Walk on the Wild SidepamahughesDined on 5/17/2014Old Sage features concoctions in food and libation that will test a finicky eater's mettle. Our waiter, Mason (I believe that was his name) was the extra spice balancing his time and energy between being personable, timely and informative encouraging us to try to the Pork's head and the Duck Wing and a drink with Tequila, vodka, habanero, lemon and more. Who knew?!Special Features:
- Love this placenakedtonueVIPDined on 5/6/2014Awesome experience as always. Beautifully crafted dishes that are delicious, comforting, and surprising in use of ingredients. Bartenders always have new items to try, from shrubs to sour ales (both favorites of mine!) to exotic tinctures.Special Features:
- This place was great for DinnerpixeldragonDined on 4/15/2014Grabbed a bite to eat before a concert. I came in pretty early in the evening. No one else was in the restaurant so I got to talking with the bartender. Really friendly staff and great mixed drinks. I'd definitely come back here again for dinner or drinks with some friends.Special Features:
- Creative and deliciousGracefulVIPDined on 4/11/2014We had a few small plates and one larger plate and shared it all. The food was incredibly good and so creative and unique. Wonderfully presented. We would go again in a heartbeat. Ended with Dill ice cream with charred lemon - to die for.Special Features:
- Sunday night decompressionnakedtonueVIPDined on 3/2/2014Dinner and drinks on a Sunday evening. Sunday happens to be all day happy hour, and much of our delightful dinner consisted of happy hour items. The bartender was very friendly, and gave honest and knowledgeable recommendations about both food and cocktails.Special Features:
- Nice Gastro ExperienceReallyHungryDined on 3/1/2014The food was delicious, beautifully prepared and the staff was very friendly. Will definitely put this on my list of Favs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy TreateatindatDined on 3/1/2014A celebration of food and drink. My dining companion is a wheelchair user and they accommodated us well and the space was easy for her to get around in. Each plate was an exciting adventure. If this place were a bit more affordable for me, I'd eat here at least once a month. Definitely going to come back on special occasions, and try more scotch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experienceAFosterDined on 2/14/2014First, the food was great-- the only exception being the pickled vegetables. It's clear the chef is a master of their craft. Also, the ambience and decor of the place was great, perfect for a nice dinner date. This could be reflective of the day (Valentine's Day), but our service was very slow. The waitress/host did a great job when they showed up, but were clearly spread across too many tables which caused a delay with things like drink refills and ordering. They just didn't have the time to give each table to attention that was needed.Special Features:
- Perhaps I expect too much?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Old Sage was fine, but it didn't knock my socks off. Reading the menu and drink list I was intrigued, and reading reviews I was excited. But I was disappointed. The dark plates at our table covered in dust. There was a large sticky spot on the table. Service was rushed. The drink was delicious but did not hold the nuances I expect from a Tavern Law offshoot. The lauded Amberjack was beautiful when it arrived at the table, but again, fell a little flat in terms of flavor. The best thing we ate all night was the smoked pecans. If you are looking for a spot of beer and rye whiskey and some truly excellent nuts - then by all means, this is your place. If you are looking for a meal that stands up to the hype - look elsewhere.Special Features:
- Kind of uncomfortableOlderSagerDined on 1/31/2014Stools were uncomfortable and pricing was steep. Most scotches were over $15/pour which was more than I was willing to pay.Special Features:
- Great food - unsuitable settingBingDined on 1/25/2014Excellent innovative food that belongs in a fine dining bistro. The bar scene, however exciting, just does not match with the elegantly presented dishes. The very dark room and the black plates destroy the appearance of the chef's artistry. This is a fun place for young on the move diners, not for those wanting a more relaxed meal with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2014When we arrived the place was relatively empty but we were seated right next to another couple, the food was only average with one item thought to be gluten free being based off a gluten containing grain. Not horrible but I wouldn't recommend it.Special Features:
- Limited MenujennDined on 12/31/2013Made a last minute NYE reservation, chose this mostly for the ambiance (which was nice). If you are looking for a Scotch/meat this is perfect, as that is their main focus I believe. Apart from that the selections are limited. Wine list is small and options for vegetarians are slim. Very pricey given the small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old sage December 27, 2013OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2013I visited the old sage as part of a six person group and had a really nice time! The restaurant was lovely, the food and drinks were delicious! My only complaint is that it seemed like the menu was set up to be ordered for sharing but the portions were very small and the price, which had seemed reasonable became expensive. With slightly larger portions or a price decrease, the old sage could become a wonderful neighborhood dinner place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very interesting menu withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2013Very interesting menu with lots of effort apparent in the design of each dish. Most were easily shared among our table of four. The Scotch list is fairly extensive if that's your thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for the amountOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/11/2013Overpriced for the amount of food. No choice of desserts except ice cream.
- Small dishes to shareFogRiderDined on 11/23/2013If you like your food mildly smoked, and like to share, this is the place for you. A short beer list is impressive as well as the mixed drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2013Overall the experience was lovely. The one thing I would recommend is informing the patrons prior to ordering that the food is best shared family style. We had a party of six and each ordered separately. As the first few dishes (ham & salmon) we realized the portions and timing the food was more tapas style. The atmosphere was quite enjoyable, not too noisy and dimly lit. I had the short rib which was wonderfully made w/the sweet potatoes. I believe the other favorite of the table was the pork cheek.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and inventiveRandbVIPDined on 11/22/2013We loved every dish. As diners who have been to many restaurants, we loved the fact that all te combinations were new and fresh. Highly recommend this spot!Special Features:
- DeliciousnakedtonueVIPDined on 11/16/2013Solid and innovative cocktails, simple ingredients prepared expertly. A delightful treat for all the senses.Special Features:
- Old Sagecjl527Dined on 10/3/2013The staff is darling, attentive and made us feel very welcomed. They were extremely knowledgeable of all the dishes, ingredients and smoking types. Beet salad and malted emmer were outstanding. Fennel puree was scrumptious. I would have given them a 5 on food but I think the butter flake roll at that price needs to be rethought.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet and darkddinerDined on 9/1/2013Sunday night and this place was dead. Food is excellent, but nobody was there at 8 or 9 p.m. Literally about 12 customers total the whole time we were there. Heard it was a new place. If so, the buzz is not out yet.Special Features:
- Full of flavor, but empty bellykitchen4foodDined on 8/30/2013Old sage is packed full of flavor and excellent dishes, but price to portion ratios are off drastically. Extremely expensive and not worth going for a true dinner. Excellent cocktails and beer list, and add on expensive "appetizers" if you wish. Hoping they right size quickly!Special Features:
- Lovely food, but overpricedPattys83ProblemsDined on 8/21/2013I very much enjoyed the food and the service at Old Sage, but I will not go there often. They serve beautiful small dishes, which I admired, but the prices are too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supremely disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/18/2013Given our experiences with Spur and Coterie Room, this was supremely disappointing. We ordered the short rib and the pork cheeks. The short rib was over-cooked to the point of having negligible flavor and a weird texture. I thought the pork cheeks were a little better — caraway! But not very porky — but my wife thought the rib was easier to choke down. “Choke down” is a phrase you don't want to hear at a fine establishment.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2013Great Food, Great Drink, and Great Service! One of my new favorites... can't wait till the next visit. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks, ok foodChrisDined on 8/3/2013My wife and I don't mind high prices for food, but the food that was prepared was not worth the price tag. The drinks were fantastic, and the beer list was superb, but I wouldn't recommend this as a dinner spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.