The Old Inn On The Green
134 Hartsville New Marlboro Rd.
New Marlboro, MA 01230Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Old Inn On The Green
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldinn.com/
- Phone: 4132297924
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm (July-Oct.), Wednesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm (Nov.- June)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Platt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from The Old Inn On The Green
Dining at The Old Inn on the Green is an extraordinary experience: fine wine, great food, the dining room illuminated by candles, the murmur of conversation from the other room. As Chef and Owner, Peter Platt is always firmly in charge, working to create innovative and memorable meals that are an event unto themselves. Over the past several years, the Old Inn has developed the tradition of serving a Prix Fixe menu - each Saturday evening a different four-course meal is prepared, and guests are offered a choice of two main courses as well as a choice of dessert. On other nights, the Inn offers a well rounded menu of a la carte items, with specials which change daily. The wine list is graced with a array of thoughtfully selected estate bottled wines from France, California and Italy. The dining rooms are lit entirely by candlelight and there are fireplaces in each room. Comfortably worn windsor chairs and mahogany tavern tables furnish the dining rooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Old Inn On The Green - Best Restaurants in New Marlborough ›
The Old Inn On The Green reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)special occasion (29)romantic (28)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (14)great for outdoor dining (6)good for groups (5)scenic view (4)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Old Inn on the GreenCiciDined on 10/3/2014It's always a special treat to dine at the Old in on the Green. The food is outstanding - beautifully prepared and presented, and oh so delicious. Service is friendly and attentive, without being "too present." The wine by the glass list offers wonderful choices. It's fun to step back in time - the furnishings are colonial and appear to be true antiques. As far as I can tell, the main source of light is candlelight, which creates a beautiful and restful ambiance. The "caged bar"is charming. Dinner at the Old Inn at the Green is an experience to be savored from start to finish.Special Features:
- Foodie Jewel Of The BerkshiresOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014This is our favorite gourmet restaurant in the Berkshires. It is charming, lovely, delicious and very unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2014Hidden away in New Marlboro, the old inn is always a treat from the wonderful food to the charming longtime Italian waiter to the flickering candle light. It rarely disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingNoelDined on 9/20/2014truly worthy of 5 stars. In every way, an outstanding experience for wonderful ambiance, an interesting choice of menus, and cost that is reasonable given all of the above. The Maitre D's treatment of my handicapped wife was exemplary.Special Features:
- Wonderful, unique dining experienceCblueDined on 9/20/2014We came here on a Saturday evening in mid September. The food was outstanding, as was the service. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The lighting is all candle-lit. No electric lights. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Best food in the BerkshiresfkehVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful meal here. The $75 prixe fixe while expensive is a terrific buy if you want a meal you can't cook at home. We went with a friend who is impossible to please and even he was delighted with the food, presentation and value. Superb dining.Special Features:
- Dining by Candlelight (Literally)TwinMomDined on 9/13/2014There is no electricity in the dining room, which makes for a romantic dining experience not to mention a glimpse into the past. It was easy to imagine the days when there was no electricity especially since the structure is an antique, with wide plank floors, small rooms, original fireplace and doors... This was our second time dining at the Old Inn on the Green. It was our anniversary and the staff, table, ambiance and food could not have been more perfect. My mouth is watering now, just thinking about my meal. Our server immediately opened the bottle of wine we brought and he was pleasant, gracious and available throughout. The chef accommodates gluten free without any hassle! Pricey pre-fixe, but worth every bite.Special Features:
- One of our favorite restaurantsDavidKDined on 9/7/2014This place is hardly convenient for most people--but the winding route there through bucolic Western Massachusetts countryside is part of the treat. And when you arrive, it all proves to have been worth it. Lit only by candles in a late 18th-century inn, it serves delicious and inventive food served by friendly and unpretentious servers. I don't know a place more romantic. And if they have the Scottish Salmon with lobster and mussels, definitely order it. We went to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary this week, and have now decided it is where we will seek to go every year for our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014The food and service were fantastic. This restaurant is a little out of the way, but it is well worth the trip.Special Features:
- Expensive and not impressiveCanadianInBostonVIPDined on 8/30/2014Given how well known the Berkshires are for their food, we were particularly unimpressed at Old Inn on the Green. It took about 20 minutes to seat us for our 8.30 reservation, and we arrived promptly. Menu required us to order a Tasting Menu which was a minimum of $75/person, and the food wasn't great. The service was also just so-so. To top it off, while we initially gave some credit for it being labor day weekend and therefore a busier night, we quickly realized that most tables were wrapping up and so we didn't in fact get served at such a busy time. On the bright side, the more experienced of our waiters was very nice, friendly, and provided great service. The others helping him weren't quite sure.
- Totally WonderfulDRFNYVIPDined on 8/28/2014We had our best of several very good meals in the Berkshires at the Old Inn. Each dish was for each diner just perfect - from the amuse-bouche to the salads to the various lamb dishes to dessert. We sat out on the screened-in porch, which is probably a different atmosphere from the candle-lit, dark interior. We liked it a lot. And service was helpful, professional and charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful restaurant!AntonucciVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had our first dinner at The Old Inn On The Green back in the mid-nineties. We loved it then, and we love it even more now. The owner, chefs, maître d, and servers, create the perfect dining experience. Excellent food and service surrounded by a charming ambiance. Menu standouts are the herb crusted rack of Colorado lamb with grilled polenta and the pan roasted breast of Normandy duck with sweet potato confit. A terrific selection of brilliant wines and fabulous desserts complement the menu. The Old Inn On The Green is a wonderful restaurant that manages to keep getting better! James and Linda AntonucciSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming ambience, delicious foodinsmamaVIPDined on 8/10/2014I was a little concerned going into our reservation, as I had read so many reviews of this being a romantic restaurant and I was dining with my sister and aunt. However, it was also a special occasion, being my aunt's birthday, and the restaurant certainly delivered on that. It is a dimly lit, charming and historic restaurant with a lovely outdoor dining area (under a closed tent to prevent bugs and the pitch black from intruding on your dinner!). The food was incredible and the server guided (not pushed) us towards customer - and her- favorite items, which I always appreciate. We were thoroughly impressed with the overall experience. I go to restaurants for the food, but this place had that and much more to offer. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent if you can afford itfoodieVIPDined on 8/10/2014Food is interesting and nicely presented. Very attentive staff. Beautiful old country inn in a pleasant rural setting.Special Features:
- Berkshire GemtuniesdineVIPDined on 8/9/2014We spent a wonderful Saturday evening dining and staying overnight at the old Inn on the green. We both had the tasting menu and what delights we shared! From the Foie Gras and amazing diver scallops and lobster to the beef/lamb and blueberry tart, all with fantastic paired wines- everything was pretty perfect. All served by friendly experts, with warmth and sensitivity- allowing delays when we needed a break to serving our coffees on the porch. All this despite managing and serving a large group of other guests! We hope to be back soon!Special Features:
- unfailingly specialNoelDined on 8/2/2014The Old Inn on the green never fails to provide excellent food, caring service an and a romantic setting. My wife an I, our son and daughter-in-law (visiting us for a few days from their Colorado home) very much enjoyed such dishes as foie gras and rack of lamb. The wines were also well-chosen and excellent. This remains a special place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014We visited the Inn on the Green for my 60th birthday. Everything was wonderful from the attentive and friendly wait staff, to the screened in candle lit outdoor dining, to the world renowned food created by an outstanding chef. The Faroe Island salmon was cooked perfectly as well as the accompanying sides. the flavors were all there, subtle as well as distinguishable. For dessert Ihad a very decadent dark chocolate souffle type cake with a touch of vanilla ice cream. The thoughtful staff put one birthday candle on it for me. Quite the nice and personal touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensational!!JHG1VIPDined on 7/25/2014Incredible food, stellar service, excellent wine, amazing desserts and candle-lit dining room - what more could one ask for? Three entrees - lamb shank, salmon and duck - all superb. Sorbets and blueberry bread pudding - delectable. One of the best dining experiences anywhere. This was the second visit (the first was three years ago) and it was even better than before. And it's a beautiful drive from Stockbridge. A must in the Berkshires.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip from anywhereTdcctVIPDined on 7/17/2014This is a one of a kind wonderful restaurant. Set in a beautiful Colonial inn with candle lit ambiance, Old Inn On The Green is the best example of new American cuisine that I have experienced. With a seasonal menu, the food is prepared with sophisticated technique allowing the fresh ingredients to shine. The vegetables that accompany the fish, fowl or meat are artfully chosen and impeccably prepared. Quite simply, this is one of my favorite restaurants in the world.
- ImpressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014This is an old country inn, nestled in the heart of the Berkshires. It is an easy drive, just off route 23, on route 57 in the center of new Marlborough. Reservations are recommended. Food was superb, menu has a nice variety; ambiance was very quaint with candle light in the dining room. Chef owned, definitely going back with a larger group of friends with extra time to enjoy the screened porchSpecial Features:
- Not the usualDineoutVIPDined on 6/29/2014Always a favorite restaurant in the berkshires but this visit was disappointing --a first. Lamb was tough and service slow. But we will return anyway hoping this was a one time aberration.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Inn on the Greenmiller02464Dined on 6/28/2014On Saturday nights there are only two prix fixe options for $75 and $95. I didn't expect that and I did end up spending more than I planned. Foo was good, no complaints about that.
- The following 379 reviews are from the The Old Inn On The Green reviews archive.
- Ambience Ruleslees49Dined on 6/4/2014Prix Fixe dinner was overall very good with only the first course salad and soup failing to inspire our table. Wait staff were very attentive, but there weren't enough of them considering the size of the crowd so there were long waits between courses. The noise level made dinner conversation somewhat difficult, too. The candlelit dining rooms were beautiful and were what really made the evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Dinner in the BerkshiressteveandeveDined on 5/24/2014Amazing spot! Everything is candlelit. Amazing food and service. Go for the tasting menu (as the regular menu is just as expensive and of extremely less value in terms of flavor and portions). Also don't go late! The dinner takes a whole. If it's a 9PM reservation just skip it. Go another day and get in early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/22/2014If you are looking for an oustanding restaurant that will take you back to the 18th century. This is the place. Picture a ceiling candelabra with real candles burning and candles on the tables. I had the seared froie gras which was a good as any I previously had at more expensive restaurants. The duck as a main course was excellant. My wife had the winter welcome meal, as gourmet as you can get and only $35. I look forward to dinner there again.Special Features:
- great nightLIfoodieVIPDined on 5/9/2014Food was great as usual. Experience only made better by Max our waiter. Restaurant began with a quiet romantic dinner..of course by candlelight. Then a large party entered and pumped up the noise level. That being said we did enjoy the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning New England "Green" Inn...SheilaDined on 4/20/2014Wonderful cuisine, ambiance with true candle light dining. Always a joy. Well worth the travel to dine.Special Features:
- CharminglucidlindaDined on 4/16/2014This was my second time here. The first time we ate off the a la carte menu and it was very good and we drank a little wine. It was lovely. This time we ordered off the $35.00 prefix dinner menu while all the tables around us ordered the tasting menu it seemed. We did not drink except one glass of wine. The food beautifully presented and the waitress pleasant although twice I had to ask for more water. There was a longtime between our appetizer and our main course. The soup was bland and the halibut over cooked as was the chocolate dessert, which you could tell because it had fallen apart before it even reached the table.. I will go back again but I won't order from the $35.00 menu..somehow the treatment was just not the same.Special Features:
- Romantic, special place!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2014We love this restaurant! It was recommended by an innkeeper years ago and we have been regulars ever since! The food is incredible, the service impeccable and the ambiance purely romantic. The entire dining room is lit by candles and the perfect place for a romantic dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a true findsilverbergurianDined on 3/21/2014I really cannot speak more highly of this restaurant. We had 2 dinners - the reasonable Price Fix as well as the more expensive Tasting menu - and loved both! The wait staff were friendly and helpful. We even tried the lunch place connected to inn which was also amazing. Try this place! It is a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Food was amazing and creative. Romantic candlelit atmosphere. Wine list had some very hard to find bottles, mostly Burgundy Would definetly return for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best in the BerkshiresLadyaliceDined on 2/27/2014We love this restaurant. We have been going there for almost 20 years and it is always fabulous. The food is always excellent, the service impeccable and the atmosphere very special. There is no electricity in the dining rooms so the candlelight enhances the beautiful inn and the setting. We had a fabulous salad, wonderfully cooked short ribs and divine desserts. Always a pleasure and a not-to-be-missed spot.Special Features:
- Always Great!!!JohnVIPDined on 2/26/2014We have been coming to this restaurant for years. The ambience is great, the food superb and the service outstanding. I highly recommend this restaurant for a romantic dinner or just a good time with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in the BerkshiresMikeDined on 2/14/2014This candel lit, historic inn on an old New England Green is quickley becomming our favorite special restaurant. Great food. Wonderful service. And the ambiance !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!JohnVIPDined on 1/26/2014As usual, dining at Old Inn On the Green is a wonderful experience. Our friends who had not been there for several year, were wowed by the food, ambiance, wine list, and service. I have already made plans to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantMwainVIPDined on 1/25/2014We love the Old Inn and try to eat there as often as we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ButterTheWsVIPDined on 1/11/2014The chef seemed to have used lots and lots of butter in everything, which is not to my liking. I wish I had known there was no à la carte menu on weekends. The setting is quite lovely and romantic. Good for an anniversary or a cozy wintertime tête-à-tête.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely love the Old Inn46HarmonDined on 1/1/2014Chef Peter Platt never dissapoints, the food is always delicious and perfectly cooked. I highly recommend the tasting menu but you cannot go wrong ordering A La Carte. Sommelier/Manager James is a gentleman and his knowledge of wine combined with their extensive cellar is perfect for any occasion. In my most recent visit I came with a party or 10, all of whom work in the food industry and they were all blown away. We all stayed at the Inn(They have about 10-12 rooms) as well so we could thoroughly enjoy the experience and we most certainly did. This place is perfect for a special occasion or romantic getaway and they also have a very generous prix-fixe on certain weekdays. By far one of my favorite restaurants in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It out in the middle of nowhereeboatVIPDined on 12/13/2013It out in the middle of nowhere (scenic country side ) But it is fantastic have been going there for 3 years and it is always great.Special Features:
- Truly an amazing dining experience!808FoodieDined on 11/29/2013This was one of the finest meals I have ever had in the most charming and friendly atmospheres I've ever experienced. Such a treat to have endulged. Everything was superb, from the service, to the mouthwatering food, and even the incredible ambiance. It was a re-awakening of all senses to as close to perfection as you'll possibly ever get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.