The Old Clam House
299 Bayshore Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94124Neighborhood:
Mission Bay / South Beach
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Old Clam House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theoldclamhousesf.com/
- Phone: 4158264880x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: J. C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Old Clam House
It's the oldest restaurant in San Francisco and the newly-completed historical renovation has brought new vitality to the area. The dining rooms are comfortable and the atmosphere is relaxing. Seafood specialties are skillets of mussels, shrimp and crab and clams prepared many different ways. Saturday, Sunday and Holiday brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
The Old Clam House - Best Restaurants in Mission Bay / South Beach ›
The Old Clam House reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (26)great for lunch (21)kid-friendly (17)fit for foodies (14)special occasion (14)great for brunch (12)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Huge DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014I've been here before so I'll cut to the chase. Old Clam is best for afternoon bloody Marys and football in the bar. NOT good for dinner. Read on if you want more details. Booked a booth table for my Mom's birthday with two other friends. Restaurant is handicapped accessible and the booths offer a little more privacy. The hostess had already seated all 4 booths. The manager came out and said it was his fault. We sat at a small round table. The main course was served before the starters were finished making it awkward to arrange the plates. I didn't get what I ordered, but didn't want to wait or cause more fuss. The noise level was deafening. Kids were running around. I feel terrible that my Mom's 88th birthday was not enjoyable.
- not againNativeDined on 9/2/2014I used to go to this restaurant about 15yrs ago before the 49er games. The food wasn't very good then and it is not very good now. High prices for low level food. Lackluster service attitude with no one in the restaurant! Won't be back
- Does it get any betterjimbobDined on 8/31/2014if you love cioppino, you must come here and try itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSFNativeSonDined on 8/31/2014Hadn't been there since the new owners took over, so we were really looking forward to this birthday visit. Sadly, it was not all we'd hoped. Watery cocktails, slow service and overcooked, pedestrian selections. My wife had the best meal; a Crab Louie. My cioppino was overcooked and heavy with potato and carrot chunks(?), and was far too salty! It was mostly calamari rings, mussels, clams, a few shrimp, and a couple of overcooked crab legs. Oh, and 2 hunks (about 1.5" thick) of corn on the cob(!?). No idea how to eat those, so I left 'em. My son's seafood linguine was overcooked and too salty. My other son's fish & chips had way too much salt on the fries. As he said, "Even if you like salt on your chips, which I do, this is TOO much!"Special Features:
- Oldest restaurant in S.F.JnahnetDined on 8/19/2014Our grand daughter, a native San Franciscan, is going to college in New York, we wanted her to have a unique S.F. send off. The Old Clam house was a must, good food without being trendy and a huge slice of S.F. history. We couldn't have picked a better place. All 4 of us order something different and all 4 of were happy. If you're a food snob it's probably not the place to go, but if you want to see where generations of San Franciscans have gone to eat a special dinner it would be the old clam house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A ClassicBradDined on 8/14/2014Nothing pretentious here, but you will be served great seafood. Friendly service. Super fresh seafood, we shared the Cioppino and a whole roasted crab, i will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revisiting an old favoriteYarnie70Dined on 8/9/2014I haven't been here in many years and am pleasantly surprised at the new decor and delicious food. My kids don't eat seafood, and I was glad there were kid friendly selections available. Everyone ordered an entree, and I wanted to add a couple appetizers, but it would have been too much food. The cioppino was delectable, and the crab linguine had an impressive amount of crab. I was also surprised by the roasted veggies that came with the filet mignon- most places just give you some wilty carrots and broccoli. Definitely will come back!Special Features:
- meowpurrmeowpurrVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food was very good, hot & presented nice. the service was excellent! Have Andrew wait on you. He handled the crowd with ease. Had a party of 10 from twenties to seventies. Seated at the enclosed patio, which was great! Loud and all taking at the same time. It was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charming atmospherinksVIPDined on 7/30/2014the food at the Old Clam House was good but not great, but the atmosphere and service made it a place to which I will return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/30/2014The food is good, the drinks are great and it's comfortable! You can leisurely dine!Special Features:
- Old School PerfectionYelpyVIPDined on 7/17/2014Love everything about this place. Old school charm, great seafood dishes, terrific bar.Special Features:
- SallyKDined on 7/16/2014Delicious! So old school, I didn't even feel like we were in SF. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Great food, flakey service.PH19VIPDined on 7/12/2014The cioppino was great and the decor is fun. Our waitress was polite but flakey. Had to ask her 3x for crab crackers and fish forks after the food was served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014We had a party of 5, including one teenager and two picky eaters. We all found our dinners delicious and the service was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best CrabDonJulioDined on 7/9/2014For the last 10 years, twice a year we look for restaurants that offer whole crab and we had tried many; the Old Clam House, so far has been our favorite. We had been there several times and it makes it very dificult to go try another one that we find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Crab Ever!ChazDined on 6/30/2014This was the best restaurant that I have ever been to for crab, it was fixed with the best seasoning I have ever had on crab.I ordered the Angus beef burger with seasoned fries. I will be back real soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Clam HousemrTRAXVIPDined on 6/25/2014Spotted this restaurant while driving to a friend's house and discovered that it had been there continuously since 1861! Had to try it and glad we did. Sat at the bar while waiting for our full party to arrive and bartender was great. Once seated for dinner, our order was taken promptly and the food was outstanding and served in a very reasonable amount of time after our orders were taken, After that, server could have been a little more attentive. Overall, definitely a place worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LocalPurpleLadyLocalPurpleLadyDined on 6/25/2014Enchi's, Ciop., Burgers, why "Gross" Burger, & Cheesecake (light, low n sugar). Food exceeded by fine service. Thx Janet & Marlon! One Strong Criticism, which is always mentioned to me by many fellow colleagues I've taken there and friends, who frequent the this establishment since recent menu changes -- PLEASE LOSE THE WORDS "Fishy", "Fish", "Fish Breath", "etc. You catch my "fishy" drift. People have actually asked me if they put "fishy oil" in their cocktails. All these "fishy" references are "Gross", like the Burger. MUST DROP "Fishy" references in cocktail menu -- patrons, like myself, just don't like it. It's NOT a great play on words. There's something "fishy" about those libations -- can't quite get my "fishing hooks" in it!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/20/2014Good food. Great cocktails. And no corkage! A real neighborhood find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Time AmbienceFrankVIPDined on 6/18/2014This is one of the last old time historical San Francisco restaurants. And great food ! Don't miss it. And say hello to Francis, the bartender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerYumyumDined on 6/10/2014Went to a birthday dinner for my mother in law - there were 8 of us, two children. I had the beet salad and a cup of clam chowder - both were excellent. The kids had fried calamari and the crispy veggies and potatoes. They ate them all. For the table we ordered the shrimp and mussel skillet, which was delicious. Heard no complaints about the food from the rest of our party. The waitstaff was great and accommodating.Special Features:
- reliable for residentsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Every so often friends and I like to go some place for a few drinks and some good food, moderately priced. The restored Old Clam House is relaxed, clean, and fun. It's the only place I know of that puts "no corkage" on the menu. I like that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointedmariposaDined on 5/23/2014I was expecting a great seafood dinner since this place has been around for a while. I ordered sand dabs, the taste was very bland, would have been ok if they served more sauce to mix it with, but the lemon caper sauce had very few capers and barely any sauce. it was served with a tasteless pasta. maybe the regular chef was on vacation when i went...
- Excellent for special occasionsloavesnfishes333Dined on 5/22/2014We were a group of seven people and we were seated before our 11:30am reservation. Bread, drinks, appetizers and individual main meals were served to us in a timely manner. I was concerned with the time factor since we needed to get back to work/school before 1:00pm, but the paced that our meals were served to us was very good. We still had some time for desserts but all of us were so full because the portions of each individual plate were so overwhelming. My coworkers/employees were new to this place, but they said they enjoyed and highly recommend coming back in their own time and special occasion. They are all going off to universities in the fall, so I would not doubt that they will come back here to celebrate their graduations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 283 reviews are from the The Old Clam House reviews archive.
- Never had hot clam juiceAlibabaDined on 5/17/2014I drank two servings of that hot clam juice. It was so good.Special Features:
- Old Clam House has gotten OldWSDineDined on 5/11/2014My past experiences here has been positive. However my last experience on mother's day was dreadful. The management was not prepared for the volume and the wait staff was under staffed. I was being ignored and were seated only after I got their attention. After being seated, we waited a long time (20 min). Finally our order was taken. Then we waited a while longer for our appetizer. Both the popcorn shrimp and calamari was greasey. The popcorn shrimp came with more french fries then shrimp. The large calamari for $20 was not so large. Then we waited another 40min for the first entre. The entres came one at a time. Our mom got her entre 20 min later. Everyone else's food got cold. The service/food experience and value was a zero.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014Would not come back on Mother's Day. The service and food was just ok. I've been here in the past and it was much better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- No seconds on bread?Eat2liveVIPDined on 5/11/2014Went on Mother's Day for late lunch. Food was excellent, and well prepared. Only negatives were: No complentary refills on soft drinks No seconds on bread. What's up with that?Special Features:
- Delicious!SFoodDined on 5/10/2014The Old Claim House is great! They have sweet little booths that have curtains that close if you want intimacy. Perfect place for a small birthday dinner! The food was great and the bar looked like fun! I will def. go back!Special Features:
- PeteyVIPDined on 4/25/2014The Clam chowder was the best I've had in a long time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- brthday luncheonPoppyVIPDined on 4/23/2014Very few people in the restaurant. It was my birthday luncheon - which was great. No oysters rockefeller unfortunately, but recommend the clams rockefeller. Sand dabs excellent would have liked more veggies (brussell sprouts) with this dish. Service was excellent and a very good experience. Parking was difficult but we managed. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable's comments were wronglpaduaDined on 4/20/2014First, Opentable had incorrect information on this restaurant. They didn't have an Easter Brunch as it was stated on my confirmation from Open Table! This disappointment was not a good way to start off the afternoon. The only pleasant person was the gentleman who greeted us at the door. Our server had attitude and the servers bringing out the food looked lost. We constantly had to ask for things.
- Amazing, historic spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014San Francisco's oldest restaurant, and you feel it (in a good way) as soon as you walk in. A real diamond in the rough.Special Features:
- I excepted the food to beJorgeDined on 4/12/2014I excepted the food to be better based on what I'd heard about the new management but it really was very average and in the style of a fishermans wharf seafood restaurant. For a restaurant that's clung on in that location for over a century, I'd expect them to have more bravado in the food.
- This place has become oneSideOfNinjaVIPDined on 4/12/2014This place has become one of my new favorite places in the city. I've always passed by the place, but never took the time to come in, until I one Sunday afternoon -- and I've been addicted ever since! So glad to took the time to check the place out!TqSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our group meets every coupleBonvivantDined on 4/12/2014Our group meets every couple of years for a reunion, and the Old Clam House was easily the best venue yet. The wait staff was attentive and pleasant and we never felt rushed. We were able to order individually from the menu and agreed that the dishes met our expectations. I especially liked the cioppino--the large portion easily feeds two--and the calamari steak was tender as always. We especially appreciated the free corkage, as one of us is a vintner and brought his own wine. This is definitely an accommodating place for groups and it delivers on the culinary front. Free and easy street parking in the evening is a bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of historyMission13Dined on 4/11/2014This spot is in one the oldest buildings in SF. The pictures and memorabilia are worth the trip if you are a history buff. The seafood was good and the prices reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Old Fashioned Seafood HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/31/2014The remodeled space has retained the soul of the place. The food has been updated just enough. The clam chowder is meaty and tasty and the crab is done Vietnamese style on an iron skillet and was delicious! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Best crabs I had so far in SFEnchanteVIPDined on 3/29/2014I know some other reviews talk about the level gone down since change of mgmt, but having gone there for the first time, the crab was the freshest that we had so far in SF. They have the best crab we ever had;creamy, soft, and did not have that strong iodine smell which I hate; proof of freshness. There were 2 of us, but we ordered for 3, and the price was almost half of what we paid at other crab restaurants. And the food was soooo good! the clam escargot was fantastic! My mouth is watering just writing about it. The ambience was great; being in the oldest restaurant in SF, added to the ambience. Old building, but clean and lively without being too noisy. Our server was very nice and helpful. Will become a regular here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it - when you walk ingrisDined on 3/29/2014Loved it - when you walk in you go back in time! Will be going back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.