The Old Bay Restaurant
61 Church Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Old Bay Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oldbayrest.com/
- Phone: (732) 246-3111
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Old Bay is always available for private dining functions and also features a mezzanine dining area overlooking bar areas and lower level dining rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Pat Pipi 7322463111
- Entertainment: Friday and Saturday nights feature live musicians and bands performing original tunes and covers ranging from modern rock, jam bands, classic rock, r&b and hip hop. Tuesday nights, The Old Bay becomes the hottest karaoke bar in town. DJ's take over the bar as well on Wednesday and Thursday nights.
A word from The Old Bay Restaurant
The Old Bay Restaurant is a unique blend of Cajun Creole and American Cuisine, that boasts to enjoy the food as one will the vibrant atmosphere. For over 20 years, The Old Bay has presented an extremely pleasurable dining experience and an actively entertaining night life, where surely everyday is Mardis Gras.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Old Bay Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (21)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (10)special occasion (8)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- great spot for drinks but not much elseFoodieDined on 11/15/2014I booked a reservation for myself and 5 others for dinner before attending a comedy show at Stress Factory across the street. Prior to making the reservations, i did a little research on the place and noticed mixed reviews about the quality of food and service so I knew it was a 50/50 chance I'd have a positive dining experience. the place is very nice with appealing New Orleans/Mardi Gras decor; however, the food left much to be desired. It wasn't horrible, it just wasn't good. The appetizers were decent. We ordered the crab and spinach dip, crab cakes and oysters. For my entree, i ordered the duck with waffles. i wouldn't order it again. My boyfriend had the pecan crusted catfish and said it was just ok. The drinks were awesome. i ordered 2 long island iced teas and they were strong! The service was great through. We had a very attentive waitress. We had reservations for 7pm and it didn't seem very crowded; however, after a while, the place starts to fill up fast. i heard it turns into a local college party scene after 10pm. I wouldn't want to stay for that since i'm well past my college years. i prefer more quiet atmospheres at a restaurant. Overall, i would recommend this place for drinks with coworkers and friends but not for the food. I would be willing to give this place another chance based on the great service and drinks but i would definitely order a different entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Orleans in New BrunswickSuziQDined on 11/14/2014Enjoyed our meals. I had a bourbon glazed wahoo and husband went with a jambalaya. Our waitress was excellent and attentive to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok not the best.SlimmaDined on 11/8/2014The waitresses was very good, she was new but she did a great job! Food was just ok however would not go again.Special Features:
- blackenedbarbaraDined on 11/7/2014the blackened mahi mahi was the best I have ever had. delicious. all three of us enjoyed our mealsSpecial Features:
- Pre-Theater DinnerRaReeDined on 10/24/2014We chose the Old Bay for convenience to the State Theater. Good drink menu and many choices for the craft beer lover.The appetizer was delicious. We had the crab and shrimp cakes with very nice plate presentation. My husband had the seafood jambalaya which was a huge portion, enough that we could have shared. I had the sole with panko and Andouille crust. Tasty, but, given the choice I would not order again. The fish was dry.Special Features:
- Good food and great serviceSeymourVIPDined on 10/21/2014The service was truly outstanding. The ambiance is unusual for the northeast and welcoming. The food is good and priced reasonably. They have live entertainment often and then it can get a little loud.Special Features:
- DisappointingChiefVIPDined on 10/11/2014I was so looking forward to dining at Old Bay as there are so few Cajun restaraunts around. We sat up stairs and unfortunately there was a table of 12 below and the their laughter and conversation totally over took our previous tranquility. The drinks were good as was the service, however that's where it ended. The Anduille bread was totally flavorless as was the seafood gumbo and seafood jambalaya. If you want quantity then this is a 5 star but if you're looking for quality then this is a 1.
- First Time here, was pretty goodblastheartDined on 10/3/2014I came here with a friend for a first date sort of thing. I had requested a table online and stated a request and when I arrived they honored my request well. Also the service was nice with the waiter offering his reccomendation for the menu and it was great. The area was less full than I had expected for a friday night but not to say this was a bad thing. Overall my experience was enjoyable, great for a casual first date as its not too romantic but still intimate.Special Features:
- Nice Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Our first time at Old Bay...very nice, good food and pleasant dining room. Would recommend this to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service & huge portionsRaymonduduOnhiselfDined on 9/13/2014Good Service & huge portions. Next time we'd order 2-3 entrees for our table of 5-6 since most dishes are capable of satisfying 2 people. As we were going straight to a show at State Theatre afterwards, we could not keep doggie bags in our car for next 4-5 hrs.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great food, lots of beers on tap. Music on weekends. Outside dining. Great staff of servers and bartenders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-gameOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Our group of 10 enjoyed a great dinner before the Penn State vs. Rutgers football game. Great food and drink plus an easy shuttle bus or drive to the stadium. The menu selection made both Creole lovers and mild eaters happy. We will come back independent of the football game schedule.Special Features:
- DinnerTMDixonDined on 8/28/2014I nice quiet place for dinner. This is a beautiful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedInedibleDined on 8/27/2014We were very much looking forward to eating here. Unfortunately, we were Very disappointed. I ordered seafood jambalaya. It was barely edible. The seafood was rubbery and the dish was itself was greasy. Barely edible. My wife ordered the fish special and it was tasteless. Not a good dining experience.
- Great Cajun/CreolewaspccpaDined on 8/22/2014The food was excellent & the servings are large. Very authentic crawfish etouffee' & bananas foster. Lots of other things to try. It was very loud because of the Giants-Jets game and a large party. I'll go back, but not on a weekend.Special Features:
- softshellDined on 8/9/2014The food and service were quite good, out doggy bg even included the coleslaw we didn't finish.Special Features:
- Great creole/Cajun foodChocoloverDined on 8/1/2014We are never disappointed when we eat at the Old Bay. Everything from the specialty cocktails to the entrees is great. I would give it 5 stars for food except for little things. For example, the waffle that comes with the duck dish was a little dry. I wish they offered grits as a side. Also if they send you upstairs, don't drink too much because going down that spiral metal staircase can be tricky, especially in heels. And the tables are a little tight up there too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 268 reviews are from the The Old Bay Restaurant reviews archive.
- Good Authentic New Orleans foodTimJDined on 7/28/2014Been here a few times over the years when I am in town for business. Taken groups there and they can accommodate. This time I took six people. All dishes were excellent. I had Crawfish Etouffee and it was killer. Having lived in New Orleans for five years, "killer" is a very high mark! Atmosphere is downscale but its not a dive. Service was decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BossDined on 7/25/2014We came here before going to a show and got a 15% discount! this paid for our parking so needless to say this made us very happy! On top of that the food was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old baydebsterDined on 7/19/2014service was great. i ordered a cocktail that i made up and the bartender got it perfect. we ordered about 6 appys...all very good especially the oysters with spinach and gouda and the shrimp in sherry pepper sauce. our waitress brought food items out in stages so we would not be overwhelmed with everything we ordered on the table at once. wish we could have stayed for the live music! looking forward to going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to State Theater & parkinggogogadgetDined on 7/19/2014They have a great selection of beers, wine and cocktails. The pecan crusted catfish was amazing. The key lime pie was smooth and creamy. Or, try the bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Old Bay-New Brunswick NJShabbusBuenoDined on 7/12/2014I've been here many times and never walk away disappointed in anyway! Well unless I get stuck un the upstairs dining room where the only way to get to it is climbing an old metal spiral staircase so tight and difficult to negotiate it's amazing more people don't get injured! Remember when making reservations to request a downstairs table. Overall rating a B with a somewhat limited menu but all the food is superb! The ambiance is intimate at times and other times can be loud when in season. Always great musical entertainment on the weekends and a good relaxed diverse crowd.Special Features:
- Great time!Foodiegirl13Dined on 7/9/2014Service was great...fun and knowledgeable! We had a ton of apps and enjoyed a family style dinner with some great drinks! Jalapeño margarita was fabulous. Looking forward to visiting again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Great menu, great food, great beer, great service, cool space. We were there early on a Tuesday night for a quiet anniversary dinner. Other times, the music and crowd pick up. Fun either way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!Love2eatoutDined on 7/5/2014First time here, my husband LOVED the gumbo, I loved the jambalaya! Everything we ordered was soooooooo good! For my main entree, I had the crab cakes and my husband had the brisket/chicken/ribs combo. Food was delicious! Will definitely be coming back again!Special Features:
- ProfessorTDined on 7/5/2014The service was prompt, courteous, and attentive, and the food was fresh, tasty and ample. The bread pudding we both had for dessert was especially good. The ambiance was great. It was an early sitting , so the place was relatively quiet. The food was moderately priced. Overall, I really enjoyed the entire experience and will definitely return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rick's ReviewRicksterDined on 7/2/2014Our server was too busy taking a break to take our order and refill water. Regarding the food, the calamari could have been crisper (cooked longer.) The rice was instant rice. The fish was dry, although a good portion. The website touts this place as a gastronomic experience, so why the bad experience? We went specifically for the etouffee, which the birthday girl requested. Apparently this place is all looks and loaded drinks. What a shame for being in such a great neighborhood.Special Features:
- Wonderful eateryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014My wife and I had the occasion to dine at "The Old Bay Restaurant" on June 20, 2014, just prior to seeing a show at the State Theater ... It was our first time and the whole experience was wonderful. I was already recommending the restaurant to a few friends via text and that was before our meal arrived. And speaking of our meal, every morsel of the food we ordered was exquisite. On this occasion I ordered the Red Snapper and my wife ordered the Jambalaya. I would also like to pay homage to our waiter, Reese (sp) ... he was excellent insofar as his serving of the items and with his overall interaction with us. We would definitely visit again and encourage whoever reads this review to do so as well.Special Features:
- Love the AtmophereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014As much as the theme is directed toward Mardi Gras, I felt it was more "old fashion cool". I digged that all severs had sleeve tattoos and that (it seemed) tattoos were embraced. That style fit in mood of the restaurant, a little dark, but cozy in a good way. I went for dinner with my Mom in the evening, but also know it's a RU spot at night because the bar/outdoor area is very nice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Beer list was extensive. Dinner was well paced with a courteous server who offered descriptive suggestions. We love cajun and creole foods and the offerings here fit the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great experience hereFussyFoodieDined on 6/6/2014We were there recently and the pork special was really great! I also enjoyed the sea food jambalaya (lots of seafood and quite juicy shrimp)and was glad to find beignets on the dessert menu. Overall, they are always nice here and you feel welcomed. Good place to eat anytime, but be sure to check out special events! Especially Great Mardi Gras celebrations!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Quite the Real ThingsOpenTableDiner2013VIPDined on 6/3/2014I was excited to find "N'awlins" cuisine nearby when visiting the area. I went at the very beginning of the dinner hour so the restaurant was very quiet. The waitress was perfunctorily courteous. I had the catfish balls which I quite enjoyed so I was looking forward to my shrimp creole entree. It was a disappointment. The sauce tasted as if it were right out of a can not warmed very well. The amount of rice was overwhelming. I fished out the shrimp and left the sauce and rice.Special Features:
- JerseyGuyDined on 5/31/2014Food was okay, nothing special. We asked to sit outside, but had to move inside when we realized that the restaurant permits smoking in the outdoor area.Special Features:
- worth the babysitter!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014My wife and I have been wanting to go for some time but not with the kids in tow,. For our 17th Anniversary my wife made the reservation and hired the baby sitter. We had a wonderful experience and plan on coming back with the kids. We enjoyed everything that we ordered and our waitress was very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoosPaolaDined on 5/30/2014It's my 2nd visit to Old Bay and I love it! The Spicy catfish balls.. ARE AMAZING! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERYHAPPYDined on 5/23/2014FOOD WAS VERY GOOD, WAITER WAS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE. VERY NICE PART OF NEW BRUNSWICK, WILL COME BACK AGAIN.Special Features:
- Old StandbyJoelDDined on 5/15/2014It's been here for years and has remained consistently good. Specials always worth looking at. Great beer list. Service is always good. Can be noisy at busy times, but generally you can hear the person across the table. Salads are extra and not remarkable. Go for the appetizer/small plate menus instead. Portions substantial. You won't go away hungry, but you will go happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day2pleaseDined on 5/11/2014The staff was very friendly. The appetizers were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014The food and service was great! Great spot for friends to get together and catch up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014It started with the waiter who was very people unfriendly - not once did he come over during the meal to ask if everything was alright - the food was very mediocre - the soup was so spicy to the point of being unedible - in the middle of everything smoke broke out in the room - people who had just been seated left - no word from any of the staff as to what was going on. Sorry - we eat out very frequently - never had an experience like this! Definitely would not recommend this restaurant to others.