The Octopus's Garden
771 S. Main St. (Rt. 9)
Mayetta, NJ 08092Neighborhood:
Long Beach Island
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Octopus's Garden
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoctopussgardenfishhouse.com/
- Phone: 6095978828x1
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Russo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Specializing in Rehearsal Dinners - Bridal & Baby Showers - Special Birthdays & Retirements - 20-50 guests works best Order from Menu Selections or craft your own event (pricing works to your advantage with our menu items) Daytime parties must be 30 guest minimum
- Private Party Contact: Michael Russo 6095978828x1
A word from The Octopus's Garden
A long time favorite at the Jersey shore, The Octopus's Garden has been pleasing the palates of seafood lovers and landlubbers alike since 1977. With a huge variety of fresh fish, beef chicken and lamb as well as a complete vegetarian and vegan menu, we are sure to exceed your expectations. Originally located on LBI, The Octopus's Garden has moved to the mainland to a "built from scratch" state of the art green building just six miles from its old location. Known for a great value, Lobster nights on Thursday and Fridays, have become legendary. Throughout the week guests will enjoy nightly specials such as half priced appetizers and desserts served all night long on Sundays! Relax in the candle lit dining room lined with seaside snapshots and a large window looking into the pristine kitchen. It is the perfect restaurant for romance or celebration and as always the kids are welcome. The Octopus's Garden is open all year long and can accommodate private parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Octopus's Garden - Best Restaurants in Long Beach Island ›
The Octopus's Garden reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (33)fit for foodies (25)good for groups (20)romantic (16)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Went to Octopus's Garden for the first time for my birthday, we loved the food, and everything about it. A great find for our area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Very noises, fish was over cooked. Not a pleasant experience.
- Very good!BHW2014Dined on 8/8/2014Exceptional value before 5:30. Food was great. Service was great. We really enjoyed our experience thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meallglopezDined on 8/5/2014We frequent this restaurant several times a year. Always a good meal, good ambiance and service. We brought a friend for the first time this time... and she loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out4dinnerout4dinnerDined on 8/2/2014We went to Octopus garden to celebrate a birthday. Party of 6, We ordered 2 appetizers the fresh tuna (5 small pieces) and the breaded calamari, it was also very small. Three of us ordered the sea-bream/with mushroom risotto it was a delicious entree. 2 ordered the tuna entree with wasabi mashed potatoes, tuna was fresh and a nice portion. the desserts were compt because there was a large party of 50, celebrating a 60th birthday, it was not a comfortable dining experience, we felt like we were intruding. and the wait staff were torn between us and serving the birthday party. the chocolate cake with vanilla icing was very good. Ask if there is a large party booked before making reservations. Not sure if I it is worth going off LBISpecial Features:
- Better than the BeatlescalicoboyDined on 7/26/2014Four different fish dishes at our table, each superbly prepared and served hot. The wait staff was friendly, efficient and not at all obtrusive. And this was on a Saturday night at 8 PM. If you see the prosciutto-wrapped wolfish go for it. Easy to get to without the LBI traffic!Special Features:
- Good, but on the pricey sideGaryDined on 7/25/2014The food was good and the service was above average. The prices were on the high side.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five star restaurantEllieDined on 7/20/2014Without a doubt, the best seafood restaurant in NJ!Special Features:
- LuvtoeatDined on 7/11/2014Great evening......Food, service and atmosphere all were GREAT! We will definately be backSpecial Features:
- figbarDined on 7/11/2014My most favorite restaurant---drive from Monmouth County just to have dinner here....best food ever!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every time!SuzieVIPDined on 7/3/2014We have been going here for 7 years and our meals and service are always superb! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Delightful DiningSuzanneDined on 7/3/2014Both the early-bird specials and daily specials are a great value. We had the coconut shrimp on the early bird and the lobster from the daily special and both were fresh and well-prepared. The lobster was steamed but not a soggy mess and it was cracked. Both meals included soup and salad and the early bird includes a dessert. Have the apple bread pudding if offered...it's delicious. My only small complaint is that a waitress (not ours) took my husband's plate before I was completely finished which is a bit of a pet peeve. I would have given the service 5 stars if not for that.Special Features:
- Enjoyed 40th anniversarySinker74Dined on 6/29/2014Food Fantastic! Service Fantastic! Slight ripple in the ambiance with a loud table of six seated nearby. Restaurant was not crowded- seating should be spread throughout until necessary to "crowd"Special Features:
- reliableDined on 6/13/2014we have visited many times today was a let down my wife's lobster was tough my scallops were cold they did not pay attention to details this time we hope this was just a bad night we do enjoy going to the garden
- AccomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014Lobster not on menu except Thursday & Fridays. We asked, they had one (1) and it was delicious! Rack of Lamb was also desired by two and they got their wish. Waiter Kevin was exceptionately wonderful. We wrre last ones out and no one rushed us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, bad serviceFood4thoughtDined on 5/25/2014Wanted to love this place, but it was a great disappointment. The first thing that struck me was how loud the place was, adding to the noise was loud pre-recorded concert music, with the canned applause intact. We ordered the butter poached lobster appetizer, a concoction of butter, some ū identifiable neon red sauce. Next came salads, overly dressed and made in advance. Then came the wait...it was more than 45 minutes until our entrees came. I had duck, which was as sry as the Sahara dessert and my husband had the tile fish which was tasty but served over ice cold polenta. The waitress never came back to the table for 30 minutes, when we pointed out the issues, she shrugged and offered no apology. No Splenda and cake moldy.
- Excellent food even for vegetariansJackijavonDined on 5/25/2014Duck was delicious as was salmon. Special vegetarian menu. Complaint with kid's meal. Meatballs probably microwaved and were very firm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014just moved to area and so happy to find a neighborhood restaurant. We wished the menu had more of a selection so we could dine more freguently. such as scampi dishes, bolognese, or franchise. You will see us again of that i am certain.Special Features:
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014Everything was terrific. An outstanding dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day dinnerFoodloverDined on 5/10/2014Once again we had a very pleasurable dinner in this pretty restaurant. Our server, TJ was attentive and made us feel welcome. The only disappointment is the noise level which made it difficult to converse with my family. We would be back again for sure. The food was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waitressgigigreatDined on 5/8/2014Felt so badly for her. She was overwhelmed but did a terrific job. I rated it only 3 stars for service as it was a little slow due to a wedding party. She was really great and handled it well. Thanx for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- CaroleDined on 5/6/2014The service and food is always very good. This restaurant does not disappoint. We will go back.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2014Very nice place, food was excellent, service great. BYOB They only have a limited wine menuSpecial Features:
- The following 62 reviews are from the The Octopus's Garden reviews archive.
- Excellent dinnerLBIislandersDined on 4/24/2014The four of us all had different dinners and they were excellent. I had lamb and would have liked it served with mint jelly, but I will just bring my own next timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodfoodieDined on 4/23/2014We have been to this restaurant many times and never had a bad meal. This time however, the service was very slow and inattentive.Special Features:
- Fresh Seafood and warm atmosphere!EtdrnknsleepEMSDined on 4/22/2014The Octopus's Garden was recommended to us a by friend who goes there for his wedding anniversary every year so I knew it must be special. I decided to bring my mother there for her 70th birthday, she wanted to go to a local bar/tavern but I thought she deserved a nice restaurant with a warm atmosphere and The Octopus's Garden was not disappointing! The seafood was extremely fresh, the service was great and the white wine was very good. You can also BYOB which is great! Without me asking the restaurant brought my mother out dessert with a candle in it which I thought was very nice of them to do so. I would go here again - although a little pricey, I suggest going for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy restaurantrizzDined on 4/20/2014We have been eating at octypus' garden for a few years. We reserved a table on easter sunday & it was available on time. The only negative was my dinner was not cooked properly (filet mignon) so they took it back in & recooked but was not right & it tasted burnt charbroiled with a bitter sauce. they took it back & i ordered salmon. for our wait, we had free dessert/coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodlovefishDined on 4/18/2014We went on Good Friday looking forward to a fish dinner. We were surprised to see we were in time or the early bird special. The entire meal was perfect and the price was very reasonable. We live over a half an hour away and we would gladly make this trip anytimeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellant all aroundfoodluverDined on 4/15/2014A special occasion, 59th wedding anniversary, food was excellant, service was outstanding, they treated you as if you were the only customers in the place. Owner came to the table several times to make sure everyone was satisfied. Waiter was spot on with service and professionalism. Ample timing in between courses never rushed. Definately would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks Open Table!!AugustfoodiesDined on 4/9/2014Wanting to try a new place for our daughter's 15th birthday, I checked Open Table for places near LBI. I can't believe we've never noticed this place! We had a party of 5, all having a different entrée & no one was disappointed with their choice. We started with the beet & goat cheese stack and crab dip for appetizers. While the beet stack was a bit hard to tackle, both were wonderful! The Macadamia Cod was delicious as well as the duck, filet & scallops. The lamb was a special that evening & was amazing! Having never been there, we made plans for birthday cake elsewhere so we didn't try any of the desserts :( The ones we saw looked simply delicious so we won't do that again!! We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as in the PastOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2014Food value not what it use to be. Too expensive for what I received. The wait staff was excellent, but that was it. Peter and Christine(Parents Founders, use to come to each table and check). Son doesn't check, but probably just as well.
- Real SeafoodxxxxVIPDined on 3/28/2014The freshest healthiest seafood in the area. Always a great meal and dining experience.Special Features:
- Relaxing with great foodNannypoppyDined on 3/22/2014From beginning to end our group of 6 had a delightful time. The back room faxing south was a perfect location for our group. He service was good and the food was very good. It's not the first time we have gone. It has been consistent every time Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved our experience, highlyFoodieDined on 3/15/2014We loved our experience, highly enjoy the Roasted Duck. Very much enjoyed the Prosciutto wrap Sea Bass. Need to return soon to try other seafood dishes, great menu selection of seafood options.Special Features:
- BYOBEatingOutVIPDined on 3/4/2014Wish we would have known it was BYOB before we sat down to eat. We actually left, made a quick trip to the liquor store and returned to eat.
- The food just gets better & better!RayTiffDined on 2/28/2014Been going here for about 5 years now and love it more each time. Food is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem of a restaurant!!NannanDined on 2/22/2014The octopus garden restaurant was awesome. A friend recommend this restaurant and finally Got the chance to have dinner there. To say the least, I wish I went sooner. The quality of food and the excellent and knowlable waiter surly makes this a 5 star!! In addition it's a Byob.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never had a bad meal!SuzieVIPDined on 2/21/2014Always enjoy the food at this wonderful restaurant! The service is great, good place to go with friends or just yourselves. Imy husband realky enjoyed his lobster and I had a cherry crusted filet mignon (fantastic) with truffle risotto. My favorite dessert- warm toll house cookie pie with vanilla ice cream! Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindDaveDined on 2/15/2014The dinner at the Octopus's Garden was perfect. Our waitress Caitlyn was very friendly & helpful with suggestions. She was attentive without interrupting. The food was amazing & tasted very fresh. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Valentine's DayWindy76Dined on 2/14/2014We had the most incredible meal and wonderful dining experience.Special Features: