The Octopus's Garden
771 S. Main St. (Rt. 9)
Mayetta, NJ 08092Neighborhood:
Long Beach Island
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Octopus's Garden
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoctopussgardenfishhouse.com/
- Phone: 6095978828x1
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Russo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Specializing in Rehearsal Dinners - Bridal & Baby Showers - Special Birthdays & Retirements - 20-50 guests works best Order from Menu Selections or craft your own event (pricing works to your advantage with our menu items) Daytime parties must be 30 guest minimum
- Private Party Contact: Michael Russo 6095978828x1
A word from The Octopus's Garden
A long time favorite at the Jersey shore, The Octopus's Garden has been pleasing the palates of seafood lovers and landlubbers alike since 1977. With a huge variety of fresh fish, beef chicken and lamb as well as a complete vegetarian and vegan menu, we are sure to exceed your expectations. Originally located on LBI, The Octopus's Garden has moved to the mainland to a "built from scratch" state of the art green building just six miles from its old location. Known for a great value, Lobster nights on Thursday and Fridays, have become legendary. Throughout the week guests will enjoy nightly specials such as half priced appetizers and desserts served all night long on Sundays! Relax in the candle lit dining room lined with seaside snapshots and a large window looking into the pristine kitchen. It is the perfect restaurant for romance or celebration and as always the kids are welcome. The Octopus's Garden is open all year long and can accommodate private parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Octopus's Garden - Best Restaurants in Long Beach Island ›
The Octopus's Garden reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (38)neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (36)good for groups (26)romantic (16)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I have some vegetarians in my family so everyone is happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful sea food restaurantLouFizzDined on 10/18/2014Staff was very attentive including the owner explaining the menuSpecial Features:
- Great if you are a seafood goerJimbo64Dined on 10/11/2014Had the grouper and redfish dinners which were excellent. Service a little slow but restaurant was quite busy. Staff were attentive and did apologize for the slight delay. Great BYOB restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014Another great night with friends. The food is always delicious, atmosphere is beautiful and the staff is wonderful!!!Special Features:
- FavoriteGrogueDined on 10/3/2014Loved this restaurant when it was in Surf City on LBI and followed it on its move to the mainland. 'Consistancy' is the key for Octopus. They are very careful to have the best of everything and the preparation is meticulous. Owners and founders, with their family, circulate while working to ensure customer satisfaction. Open all year is a plus. Favorite place in area: never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Seafood LoversSuzanneDined on 9/26/2014We are seafood lovers and were not disappointed on our recent visit. A variety of different and unusual fish offerings on the menu, but happy that the classic lobster dinner was also one of the evening's specialities. When I got home, I realized I never got my soup that came with the lobster, but it was a good experience anyway.Special Features:
- Grrrreat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Excellent restaurant. We took our daughter to celebrate a new job. Food, service and attentiveness of owner/chef were outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/25/2014Wonderful restaurant with lots of fish and seafood selection and nightly specials. Prices are reasonable for the quality of the food. Excellent, attentive service. BYOB is always delightful. A "must dine" if you are in the area.Special Features:
- A Real Restaurant, in Ocean CountyMavisthinksDined on 9/21/2014This was my second time here and I loved it. The menu options, the attentive service. The food outstanding. The birthday candle and special written birthday message really made our night.Special Features:
- OG never disappointseastnaplesdinersDined on 9/19/2014Husband and I ordered the lobster on Friday, Sep 19, 2014, with potato, chowder, salads. The food and service were excellent, as usual. We have been eating here for over 10 years beginning when the restaurant was on LBI. It's a 20-minute drive from the island, and well worth it. The setting is casually elegant. Diane was our server, and she was suitably attentive. This place is BYOB which helps. Prices are upscale, and well worth it.Special Features:
- CONSISTENTLY GOOD!JackijavonDined on 9/6/2014WE HAVE EATEN HERE MANY TIMES AND ALWAYS HAPPY WITH THE VARIETY OF FISH DISHES. THIS TIME 2 OF THE 4 DINERS ORDERED STEAK. THE STEAKS WERE COOKED AS REQUESTED AND WOULD RATE A 4 OUT OF 5. SHRIMP AND CLAMS OVER PASTA WAS A LITTLE PEPPERY. LEAVE ROOM FOR THE TOLL HOUSE COOKIE DESSERT!!Special Features:
- delicioushope2eatDined on 8/31/2014Went early with a group of 7. Ordered the swordfish which was excellent. Everbody commented on good their food was. Well worth coming off the island to go to this restaurant.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Always had a great meal and impeccable service. The Octopus's Garden is a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Fabulous!SuzieVIPDined on 8/29/2014Love this restaurant! The food is fresh and delicious. They have an incredible staff and the owner is friendly. We go there for dinner quite often and always enjoy our meals.Special Features:
- LoupDined on 8/28/2014Fantastic menu with great selection. Seafood was outstanding and even the non-seafood items were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisePoppop1109Dined on 8/22/2014Stayed on L.B.I. For two weeks,talked about dining spots to one of the locals. She suggested Octopus Garden,which is just off the island on Rt 9 and about 2 mi south of Rt. 72. Sorry I waited so long to find about this Gem! Make reservations! People at this restaurant were friendly and know how to treat a customer. Soup, appetizer, salad, and lobster were perfect. Go Friday night ,which is lobster night,you won't regret it. Also, B.Y.O.B.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Octupus GardensFoodieDined on 8/22/2014The wait staff work very hard.They are attentive,and very observant.The food was excellent but we were a little hungry after the meal.I would recommend this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Went to Octopus's Garden for the first time for my birthday, we loved the food, and everything about it. A great find for our area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Very noises, fish was over cooked. Not a pleasant experience.
- Very good!BHW2014Dined on 8/8/2014Exceptional value before 5:30. Food was great. Service was great. We really enjoyed our experience thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meallglopezDined on 8/5/2014We frequent this restaurant several times a year. Always a good meal, good ambiance and service. We brought a friend for the first time this time... and she loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out4dinnerout4dinnerDined on 8/2/2014We went to Octopus garden to celebrate a birthday. Party of 6, We ordered 2 appetizers the fresh tuna (5 small pieces) and the breaded calamari, it was also very small. Three of us ordered the sea-bream/with mushroom risotto it was a delicious entree. 2 ordered the tuna entree with wasabi mashed potatoes, tuna was fresh and a nice portion. the desserts were compt because there was a large party of 50, celebrating a 60th birthday, it was not a comfortable dining experience, we felt like we were intruding. and the wait staff were torn between us and serving the birthday party. the chocolate cake with vanilla icing was very good. Ask if there is a large party booked before making reservations. Not sure if I it is worth going off LBISpecial Features:
- Better than the BeatlescalicoboyDined on 7/26/2014Four different fish dishes at our table, each superbly prepared and served hot. The wait staff was friendly, efficient and not at all obtrusive. And this was on a Saturday night at 8 PM. If you see the prosciutto-wrapped wolfish go for it. Easy to get to without the LBI traffic!Special Features:
- Good, but on the pricey sideGaryDined on 7/25/2014The food was good and the service was above average. The prices were on the high side.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five star restaurantEllieDined on 7/20/2014Without a doubt, the best seafood restaurant in NJ!Special Features:
- LuvtoeatVIPDined on 7/11/2014Great evening......Food, service and atmosphere all were GREAT! We will definately be backSpecial Features:
- figbarDined on 7/11/2014My most favorite restaurant---drive from Monmouth County just to have dinner here....best food ever!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every time!SuzieVIPDined on 7/3/2014We have been going here for 7 years and our meals and service are always superb! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Delightful DiningSuzanneDined on 7/3/2014Both the early-bird specials and daily specials are a great value. We had the coconut shrimp on the early bird and the lobster from the daily special and both were fresh and well-prepared. The lobster was steamed but not a soggy mess and it was cracked. Both meals included soup and salad and the early bird includes a dessert. Have the apple bread pudding if offered...it's delicious. My only small complaint is that a waitress (not ours) took my husband's plate before I was completely finished which is a bit of a pet peeve. I would have given the service 5 stars if not for that.Special Features:
- Enjoyed 40th anniversarySinker74Dined on 6/29/2014Food Fantastic! Service Fantastic! Slight ripple in the ambiance with a loud table of six seated nearby. Restaurant was not crowded- seating should be spread throughout until necessary to "crowd"Special Features:
- The following 72 reviews are from the The Octopus's Garden reviews archive.
- reliableDined on 6/13/2014we have visited many times today was a let down my wife's lobster was tough my scallops were cold they did not pay attention to details this time we hope this was just a bad night we do enjoy going to the garden
- AccomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014Lobster not on menu except Thursday & Fridays. We asked, they had one (1) and it was delicious! Rack of Lamb was also desired by two and they got their wish. Waiter Kevin was exceptionately wonderful. We wrre last ones out and no one rushed us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, bad serviceFood4thoughtDined on 5/25/2014Wanted to love this place, but it was a great disappointment. The first thing that struck me was how loud the place was, adding to the noise was loud pre-recorded concert music, with the canned applause intact. We ordered the butter poached lobster appetizer, a concoction of butter, some ū identifiable neon red sauce. Next came salads, overly dressed and made in advance. Then came the wait...it was more than 45 minutes until our entrees came. I had duck, which was as sry as the Sahara dessert and my husband had the tile fish which was tasty but served over ice cold polenta. The waitress never came back to the table for 30 minutes, when we pointed out the issues, she shrugged and offered no apology. No Splenda and cake moldy.
- Excellent food even for vegetariansJackijavonDined on 5/25/2014Duck was delicious as was salmon. Special vegetarian menu. Complaint with kid's meal. Meatballs probably microwaved and were very firm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014just moved to area and so happy to find a neighborhood restaurant. We wished the menu had more of a selection so we could dine more freguently. such as scampi dishes, bolognese, or franchise. You will see us again of that i am certain.Special Features:
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014Everything was terrific. An outstanding dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day dinnerFoodloverDined on 5/10/2014Once again we had a very pleasurable dinner in this pretty restaurant. Our server, TJ was attentive and made us feel welcome. The only disappointment is the noise level which made it difficult to converse with my family. We would be back again for sure. The food was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waitressgigigreatDined on 5/8/2014Felt so badly for her. She was overwhelmed but did a terrific job. I rated it only 3 stars for service as it was a little slow due to a wedding party. She was really great and handled it well. Thanx for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- CaroleDined on 5/6/2014The service and food is always very good. This restaurant does not disappoint. We will go back.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2014Very nice place, food was excellent, service great. BYOB They only have a limited wine menuSpecial Features: