The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
2063 Middle St.
Sullivans Island, SC 29482Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $30 and under
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theobstinatedaughter.com/
- Phone: 8434165020x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Jacques Larson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
A word from The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
We chose the symbol of The Obstinate Daughter to celebrate the spirit, sass and determination of Miss Carolina Sulivan. Sullivan's Island and its rich history is the perfect backdrop for our lowcountry “Food Fort.” A Southern restaurant that is influenced by French, Italian and Spanish cuisine, The Obstinate Daughter houses a wood fired oven, plancha and island kitchen range. Pizza, pasta, small plates and a raw bar are the focus of the menu. Moving seasonally, the menu also is rooted by the burgeoning farms and fisherman in Charleston who all supply us with the superior products that make our region so special. The Obstinate Daughter is proud to be a part of the progressive food movement of Charleston and the cultural renaissance we are experiencing. We are also excited to be working towards the Green Restaurant Certification that our sister restaurant, Wild Olive, procured in the Spring of 2013. Promoting sustainable practices is a cornerstone of our business ideology.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island - Best Restaurants in Sullivan's Island ›
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island reviews from OpenTable diners
337 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (264)neighborhood gem (222)hot spot (161)special occasion (111)vibrant bar scene (96)great for lunch (80)good for groups (71)romantic (70)great for brunch (67)notable wine list (45)kid-friendly (37)late-night find (27)scenic view (12)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Not what I expecteddine4funDined on 9/16/2014Probably my fault, but not what I expected from a restaurant on Sullivans Island. Was expecting some good local seafood dishes, not pasta and pizza. Had the ricotta gnocchi which was good. My wife had pizza (not what she was expecting either). Pizza was fair. While we were dining, we saw three diners complain and send food back. Wish they had a better localized menu. There are many better restaurants in our area.Special Features:
- Wonderful LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014From entering this beautiful space to our waiter's introduction, this charmer of a restaurant is a wonderful addition to Sullivan's Island. The food is delicious, made only better by the energy of our waitress.Special Features:
- Great new findbradamonteDined on 9/14/2014Wonderful gnocchi and seemed to have lots of good choices. Gelato was excellent for dessert.Special Features:
- A Sullivan's Island ExperienceJimboelrodDined on 9/13/2014What incredible service, food, wine offering, atmosphere, and decor. I will go back over and over again to impress friends and family alike!Special Features:
- First TimeMachessVIPDined on 9/13/2014Menu was scary for first time visit but restaurant was highly recommended by my son. Penne was a little spicy but the gnocchi was excellent. Shrimp roll and pizza, as well as, $5 house wines were great. Happening place with great food. Much better than his other restaurant, Wild OliveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ServicestreasurethemomentDined on 9/13/2014Second visit was not as enjoyable as the first. Server lacked the personality that we had on our initial visit a few weeks ago, pasta was good but pizza was a little overcooked and ended up in the trash the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back for dinner!TennisGirlVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had brunch here because we couldn't get a reservation for 3 nights, except 5:00 p.m. or 9:00/10:00 p.m. Brunch was excellent though and next time we'll plan ahead to make a reservation for dinner. Very trendy, hot spot due to mentions in Southern Living I'm sure, and well deserving! As one reviewer said, it's like a downtown Charleston restaurant, that happens to be on an island!Special Features:
- LunchladyDined on 9/12/2014Unprecedented seafood, pizza, and pasta. Unfortunately if you try to stay away from pizza and pasta, the menu gets very limited very fast. A chicken or beef dish would be a nice option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KudosGoodEatsDined on 9/12/2014Our table was ready when we arrived on a Friday night. Waitress Erika was charming and very helpful and fun. All 4 of us enjoyed our food a lot and the cool vibes in this restaurant. Very lively but service was attentive and booth seating was so comfortable and kept us out of the hustle and bustle. There were big kudos for the sweetbreads, papardelle pasta and oysters on the half shell.Special Features:
- Wonderful find! Food was amazingLove2eatDined on 9/8/2014Fabulous new restaurant on Sullivan's island. The good was amaxing and out server jesse smith made the whole evening complete!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteMichelle317Dined on 9/7/2014We tried The Obstinate Daughter for brunch. Our server was friendly and prompt. The goat cheese app was fabulous and we enjoyed our pasta dishes. The carbonara was the perfect size, fresh and full of flavor. Looking forward to trying dinner soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding and NauticalgapeachDined on 9/7/2014Delicious food--interesting combinations that work out wonderfully together--and all set in cute nautical decor. A must visit if on Sullivan's!Special Features:
- dinner with the AtkinsBluegrassgirl2Dined on 9/6/2014As usual, we had a scrumptious meal last Saturday night! Had the ravioli for the first time and it was so tasty....loved the light sauce! My husband had the gnochi (?) with short ribs and was impressed. The bourbon and pecan creme brulee was BEST dessert ever! Always a memorable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!ABLEDined on 9/6/2014Hands down the best overall meal and experience I've ever had in Charleston (and I'm a native). Liz was our server and was so attentive, gave amazing suggestions and made the experience even more wonderful! Even my parents who live in DC said it was the most perfect dining experience!Special Features:
- Upscale Trendy for SIOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was amazing! Not enough room at the bar area to grab drinks before dinner, unless you take your drinks outside. We will be back!Special Features:
- ChrisDined on 9/5/2014Great food at a fun place! We enjoyed everything! We had a reservation and our booth was ready and waiting for us when we got there. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014We were so impressed with our experience. Service with a smile, decent pricing, amazing flavors, wide variety menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticMartiVIPDined on 9/3/2014The food was outstanding ! Great casual space with fabulous Ambiance. Service was wonderful I would definitely recommend giving this trying !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- iop4meDined on 9/2/2014Great atmosphere and excellent service. The pizza and the fish were favorites at our table. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Excellent and enjoyed very muchMPSBobDined on 9/2/2014Had the lambs collar that was very tender with excellent taste. We are gluten free and had the Geechie sticks with a bean spread that was very good. Also had the kale and Mepkin Abbey mushroom salad shared with my wife that was out if sight. My wife had a flounder grilled dish that was superb. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time not a charmSaltyDogDined on 9/1/2014Overall very good food and standards, our waitress went AWOL at a critical point in our meal when we needed which spoiled the evening as we could not sip wine with our meal, the food would have gone cold by the time we were served.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance!Curl8theWhirlDined on 9/1/2014Really enjoyed the beautiful atmosphere, nautical-themed without being too much. The Mepkin Abbey mushrooms and kale were delicious, as was The Old Danger pizza. Only complaint is the choice of music. The restaurant had a lively hum with diners' conversations, yet I could hear high pitched young Michael Jackson from Jackson Five days in the background and then some faster-paced Pointer Sisters, not really conducive to a nice dinner and conversation.Special Features:
- ReneTurtleluv1Dined on 9/1/2014Recently read about Obstinate Daughter in Southern Living's top 100. We were not disappointed. Our food was stupendous from plates to entrees. For anyone with gluten issues try the Red Velvet cake. The peach bread pudding is delectable. Our server whose name I cannot remember from last Monday night was one of the best waiters I've had. Can't say enough about this new Sullivan's Island addition. Make sure you plan ahead and make reservations early. One of our new favorites.Special Features:
- Excellent place. Meatball sandwichOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014was absolutely the best I have ever had anywhere. The pizza's were delicious. The service and atmosphere excellent...Would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DissappointedLillyparkeDined on 9/1/2014This is such a wonderful addition to Sullivan's Island. The food is wonderful and all very different. The Moultrie Cocktail along with the Red Coat. Both are refreshing and quite tasty. The Old Danger Pizza is my favorite but I tried a bunch of different items. In my most recent visit I tried the gnocchi with short ribs and it was AWESOME. My date had a sandwich and had a hard time eating it because of all of the toppings and the massive bread roll in which it was served. We have a lovely server, Kayleigh who made great recommendations and was attentive to our party then entire meal. I recommend this establishment to all of my friends and anyone visiting the area.Special Features:
- So fresh!RGBMD1Dined on 8/31/2014Excellent presentation of fresh food with wonderful flavor. We loved it. Be warned- it is very loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a findSpectacularVIPDined on 8/31/2014From the hostess to the waiter to the incredible fresh shrimp and over fired pizza, what's not to like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningGAGARDENGIRLDined on 8/30/2014The Obstinate Daughter offered a well crafted menu with plenty of options for fresh seafood, pasta, or pizza for the discriminating diner.....great decor.....definitely will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVEDIOPsisterDined on 8/30/2014We loved the food and atmosphere. We were impressed with the pizza and shrimp roll. We look forward to returning and trying more items the next time we are in town. I also hope to get reservations for dinner and make it a longer event. Lunch was almost too, short.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friday, 8/29Bluegrassgirl2Dined on 8/29/2014Obstinate Daughter has it all! Great food, fun and energetic scene, terrific service! We have tried almost every dish on your menu and continue to be delighted and surprised! Your home-made pasta dishes are still my favorite! Our waitress, Julia, was so sweet, informative and patient! We think she is darling and a first rate server! Hope she'll help us the next time we come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/29/2014Kelly was a great server guiding us through the menu. Our favorite was the mushroom kale dish..Fabulous!Special Features:
- Yummy!ilovefoodDined on 8/29/2014We went on for a late lunch, the Friday before labor day weekend. Our waitress was very courteous, friendly and knowledgeable! She gave us a run down of the food, but was also great with giving us recommendations! The food was amazing (maybe some of the best lox I've had in a while) and the atmosphere overall was relaxing! Definitely make reservations ahead of time though. All in all, a great way to start.the long weekend and I will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Place!JasonVIPDined on 8/28/2014Outstanding food, service, and atmosphere. I had some of the best homemade pasta I've ever had at this place. We went with a group of friends and our whole party raved about this place. Check it out!Special Features:
- So so disappointed!DisappointedlocalDined on 8/28/2014The web menu is very misleading. Plates are small tapas style the only entree choices are pizza or pasta neither of which have any resemblance to authentic Med cuisine. The room place is deafening. The food is bland and tasteless, lacking any of the seasonings traditional found in the region. Kimchee with grilled octopus? Most notable was the absence of even a hint of garlic. The clam pizza was cardboard with 2 clams chopped on top, a teaspoon of sauce and cheese, no garlic and a mound of tasteless parsley. The sweetbreads were disastrous flavorless overcooked and drowned in a virtual stew of green peas soggy tomatoes and even soggier mushrooms. The wine list is best left ignored and a vodka martini seems to be beyond their scope.Special Features:
- Excellent foodBillDined on 8/28/2014Wonderful local ingredients well prepared. first visit was for lunch, will go back for dinner.Special Features:
- Awesome!Beach4meDined on 8/27/2014I had read all the hype and it did not disappoint! The décor is lovely, the blue tile in the bathroom is gorgeous!!! Best part is the food...where to begin and the special cocktails!! The Mepkin abbey mushroom kale was delicious. The grouper special outstanding and the cavatappi (not the best speller) pasta was out of this world. The sauce with lemon zest, olives, capers just a great marriage of flavors. The pizza looked great also will save that for our next visit. Jacque and staff have done it again...thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverhypedIlovechucktowndiningDined on 8/27/2014This place was featured in Southern Living as one of Charleston's best but the menu and food were below average for the cost. Atmosphere is Nice. Overall, does not live up to hype.
- Best restaurant on S.I.joyatiopDined on 8/26/2014I am very grateful that Jacques Larsen brought his chef/restaurant skills to East Cooper. His restaurant Wild Onion is only open for dinner and too far for me (Isle of Palms resident) to travel and enjoy. Love the sophisticated beach décor and all the beautiful wood used in the ceiling and walls.Special Features:
- Menu is differentDebiDined on 8/25/2014The restaurant was recommended to us during our stay at Wild Dunes. The menu has entrees and plates. The plates are small portions, bigger than tapas, that can be eaten alone or shared. We chose to share three plates, the arugula and peach salad, flatbread, and geetchi frites (fried polenta) and an entree, the grouper special. All choices were tasty. The grouper was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceBeach4everDined on 8/25/2014While spending a week at IOP one definite plan the family had was to eat at OD. The meal was fantastic and we all agreed our next trip to IOP would include another visit to The Obstinate Daughter. The music selection at lunch was perfect and the sound level was great since it allowed table conversation at a normal tone. We all enjoyed the variety of the menu and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Compliments also for the decor of the restaurant. Our server was friendly and very helpful. Thanks for providing such a memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.