The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
2063 Middle St.
Sullivans Island, SC 29482Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $30 and under
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theobstinatedaughter.com/
- Phone: (843) 416-5020
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Jacques Larson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
A word from The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
We chose the symbol of The Obstinate Daughter to celebrate the spirit, sass and determination of Miss Carolina Sulivan. Sullivan's Island and its rich history is the perfect backdrop for our lowcountry “Food Fort.” A Southern restaurant that is influenced by French, Italian and Spanish cuisine, The Obstinate Daughter houses a wood fired oven, plancha and island kitchen range. Pizza, pasta, small plates and a raw bar are the focus of the menu. Moving seasonally, the menu also is rooted by the burgeoning farms and fisherman in Charleston who all supply us with the superior products that make our region so special. The Obstinate Daughter is proud to be a part of the progressive food movement of Charleston and the cultural renaissance we are experiencing. We are also excited to be working towards the Green Restaurant Certification that our sister restaurant, Wild Olive, procured in the Spring of 2013. Promoting sustainable practices is a cornerstone of our business ideology.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island - Best Restaurants in Sullivan's Island ›
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island reviews from OpenTable diners
357 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (297)neighborhood gem (237)hot spot (184)special occasion (115)good for groups (105)great for lunch (96)vibrant bar scene (91)great for brunch (71)romantic (67)notable wine list (52)kid-friendly (36)late-night find (19)scenic view (11)great for outdoor dining (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014Another great meal with great service. That is why we keep Going back 👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantJamieDined on 11/19/2014Our experience at The OD was great. The staff was friendly and very knowledgeable! Every thing we ordered was delicious. I would definitely put this on your list of must visit restaurants when you are in the Charleston area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charleston goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2014OD was a pleasurable dining experience. The entree was five star (short rib pasta dish). I've had better mussels and beet salad. Its Charleston good and that's saying a lot. Not in my top five, but definitely on my short list. I'll return. Wine and beer offerings great. Service is great. I really like the warm, cozy feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting new restaurant!!LynneVIPDined on 11/18/2014We had been wanting to try this new, well talked about restaurant, but it has been difficult to get reservations. (a good sign!) Finally four of us went to dinner at The Obstinate Daughter. It was very different, the portion sizes, the variety of well prepared, unusual dishes. My husband said his Fish (Grouper) was prepared perfectly. We had a great time, and will go back.Special Features:
- Restoration Hardware meets Southern CoastOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/16/2014Beautiful atmosphere and farm to table entrees for Foodies and homemade pizza & pasta for those looking for more Bread based meals. Enough options to please everyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening - fabulous food!MjahVIPDined on 11/15/2014Girls night out - great waiter, tasty drinks & generous appetizers. Our entrees were excellent as well as the desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tom and CathyTomandCathyDined on 11/15/2014We had such a great time at The Obstinate Daughter ! Not only was the food excellent, but the wine was fantastic. Jessie our waitress, helped us select a wonderful Italian wine that went well with all of our food selections. The atmosphere is cozy and warm. A wonderful find on Sullivan's Island. It is very busy, so make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good. Service was horrid.MountPDined on 11/15/2014Food was good. Service was horrid. Spoke to manager and she seemed not to care at all. You go to a restaurant because of the food and go back to a restaurant because of the service. Needless to say, I won't be back. It's difficult to make good food and it's easy to provide good service so you would think they would be able to tighten up the reigns.
- ByncDined on 11/13/2014Our second visit...will not be our last...no need to go downtown when staying at IOP when this and other gems are so convenient....OD is our favorite restaurant in Charleston area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food and Fantastic Service!mkclark13Dined on 11/11/2014My husband and I shared our 3rd anniversary here last night, and it was some of the best food we have put in our mouths! Our server, Anna, was fantastic, sharing all of the specials with us and helping us to make our choices. The timing was perfect between courses, giving us time to enjoy everything. We enjoyed the Griddled Octopus, NC Apple Salad, Mepkin Abbey Mushrooms, Sausage Papperdelle, the Grouper special, and the Bourbon Pecan Crème Brule. I loved the Mepkin Abbey Mushroom salad served with sautéed kale, parmesan, and an over easy egg - to die for. The pasta dish was also delicious, very light sauce that thoroughly complimented the pasta. We cannot wait to return to try some of the pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd eat here everyday if I could.eatingisfunDined on 11/10/2014I visited TOD for my boyfriend's bday with another couple. The apps/plates looked so good we decided to order a bunch and then decide on dinner afterwards. We shared 8-9 apps, all of which were incredible (a few you HAVE to try: the headcheese, frogmore chowder, mussels, octopus, beets, mushrooms....ok maybe just try them all). Not able to leave without trying an entree we then split a pizza, which was heavenly. Just writing this is making me drool a little, sorry but I'm not sorry. Go to The Obstinate Daughter now, you'll be glad you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They had me at octopusGoodtuckerDined on 11/9/2014Went with a group of old college friends, not everyone as into trying things as I am. Our waiter, Tom, was informative, proud of his restaurant and it showed through every bit of his service. Everyone said it was our best meal in Charleston and we ate at some amazing restaurants. I had the grilled octopus, tender and delectable. Also shared the fig and proscutto pizza, and apple and bibb salad, and the tenderest ricotta gnocchi with a short rib ragu. Three of us had desserts including a glutten free red velvet cake. Very reasonably priced for the level of quality, prices would be a good 50% higher where I live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staff - good foodEater74Dined on 11/9/2014Our server was fantastic, knowledgeable and genuinely personable! The locally sourced ingredients were top notch but I felt there was one component missing from almost every dish. The 2 of us ordered 7 items (we like to try everything if possible) - 4 out of 7 were just OK, the other 3 were very, very good. Whether it was a lack of seasoning, over seasoned (on one dish) or a lack of an acidic component like a vinaigrette or mustard on the others made those dishes somewhat bland. I would still go back to keep trying different dishes - the service makes up for any food issues in my opinion.Special Features:
- Food was great - nice atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014We went after dining at sister restaurant Wild Olive and it did not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Great selection on menu and great selection of local seafood fare. A bit noisy, though this is not a criticism. Many items on menu that we'd like to try, though there were too many great options to tackle on this our first visit. We'd definitely return! Great waiter! Great evening!Special Features:
- Amazing restaurant!goodfoodDined on 11/6/2014The Obstinate Daughter is an amazing restaurant. The service, menu, and atmosphere were wonderful! We had a hard time deciding what to order because everything sounded good so our waitress made suggestions and they did not disappoint. We got the oysters, the mepkin abbey mushroom salad, and the fig nasty pizza. All were amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerSupperclubgirlDined on 11/5/2014The food was good. The portions on the small plates were very small. The pasta dishes were a decent sized portion. The cocktails and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunch on Sullivan's IslandcdineDined on 11/4/2014Nicely prepared, varied menu. The local shrimp roll was delicious. Good pizza too. The chefs in the open kitchen seem to take pride in offering well prepared meals. So many inviting lunch options, it was hard to decide. friendly hostess and wait staff.Special Features:
- Love2eatDined on 11/2/2014This is a great place to go with a group, as the dishes are easy to share, and the restaurant encourages it. It is a bit loud, however we had a seat by the window, and once seated, had no trouble with conversation at the table. There were only three of us, so we couldn't try as many things as I would have liked. The geechie frites(fried polenta sticks) were good but not great, the Memphis abbey mushrooms were great, although a bit salty. The sweetbreads were fantastic!! We had 2 pastas, the pappardelle and the gnocchi and both were wonderful. For dessert we shared the creme brûlée which was delicious. Overall, great food at moderate prices and a welcome addition to the Sullivans Island dining scene.Special Features:
- LunchSLOWJOEDined on 10/31/2014We were greeted with a smile and helpful attidude as we wanted a both and were willing to wait. We were taken care of in short order. Had a good glass of wine at bar while waiting. Food was very good but not out standing. Wait person was good but not out standing. Would go back.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/28/2014The owner of this restaurant is a genius! From the bar top and stools to the wood used inside it is a beautiful and fun space. The menu is awesome. Hit their dessert place underneath on the way out.Special Features:
- Terrific ExperienceMjDac1985VIPDined on 10/28/2014First time here and what a great overall experience. From Frank at the bar to Bethany who took care of us at the table, exceeded our expectations. Food was outstanding and each of our meals was as described and then some. Already made reservations to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!teresahsVIPDined on 10/28/2014My husband and I really like The Obstinate Daughter. The beet salad is delicious. His pasta (one with fish, olives and capers) is not the best dish he has had there. There wasn't much fish in it and it was VERY lemony. We both love roasted grouper when it's on the menu. If you don't have reservations, you can usually grab a seat in the bar area pretty fast.Special Features:
- Obstinate Daughter85253Dined on 10/28/2014First visit and friends from Chicago came along. Need reservations well in advance. Excellent and imaginative menu. Local sustainable ingredients. Shared two first, a pizza and entree. Clammer Dave pizza enjoyable but could have used more clams. Pappardelle absolutely wonderful as was the Mepkin Abbey mushroom first. Attentive service and offerings well priced. A very enjoyable evening. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KateVIPDined on 10/26/2014One of our favorites. Great food, great service, and love the ambience.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014As always, we had a great dinner and fun with our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual and Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014We had a nice walk on the beach and then a very relaxing brunch. Loved the blond bloody Mary made with local yellow tomatoes. Food was great!Special Features:
- Third VisitPTN1Dined on 10/24/2014This was my third visit to The Obstinate Daughter and it was once again, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Addition to Sullivan's IsleMJW1VIPDined on 10/24/2014O.D. fits right in with the other great dining spots, all within a few blocks of each other, on Sullivan's Island. Great menu choices, extremely good, and attentive wait staff. Will be back.Special Features:
- Great new findNewfavDined on 10/23/2014Had tried unsuccessfully to gwt reservations at SI's newest hot spot before finally landing ones after 5 and before 9. Food was fun and outstanding. Highlights were beet salad, fresh veggies, gnocchi with short-rib sauce and all the desserts. Liked it so much we made reservations for 2 nights after that. Will become our regular go-to spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring seasoningBalsamBobVIPDined on 10/23/2014The place looks beautiful. The menu item descriptions are mouth watering. The service is great. Even the food presents well but the taste? There wasn't any. We had multiple items on the menu and everything was bland. We even tried each other's and still no taste. Very disappointing. Wine and beer was good. Went to anothe restaurant for coffee and desser.
- Favorite in CharlestoncatyrushDined on 10/23/2014This is worth the drive out to Sullivan's Island. The decor is almost as good as the food. If you appreciate interior design, the details of the decor are great. I recommend the lunch for its moderate price and dinner menu for a casual date.Special Features:
- WOWLindaDined on 10/20/2014We were blown away with the food. Dishes just melted in your mouth. The combo flavors exploded on your taste buds . Had roasted beets, Capers Blades, The Danger and ricotta gnocchi. All was wonderful. Can hardly wait to come back and try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillVIPDined on 10/20/2014We have eaten here several times in the past and the food has been consistantly good each time. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ODOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/19/2014Food was great, service, not so much. Our server appeared to be new and did not provide good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutandaboutDined on 10/18/2014Great experience. Food all delicious. Waitress was very attentive. Would return and hopefully soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful nautical decorCharlestonfoodie88Dined on 10/18/2014We were recommended about the brunch at a concert we attended. It was so wonderfully decorated, and the food was delicious. The waitress and staff were very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. I would and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homerun as usualJenanneCBDined on 10/14/2014We dine here on the regular, and as usual the OD did not disappoint. Tried the geechie frites for the first time, dee-licious. The Fig Nasty pizza and Short Rib Gnocchi (think little pillows) are to die for. It is hard to get a reservation, so if you really want to eat at the OD, arrive early around 5, and there are almost always hightop tables and bar seating available. Easily our favorite restaurant in Charleston.Special Features:
- Lunch - food awesome a bit slowMtPleasantGirlDined on 10/14/2014Have been there many times for dinner and just like dinner the food us wonderful. However, the service was very slow for lunch. There was one server for half the restaurant who was also the bartender. Although, a great guy just too many tables for one person. Took about 90 minutes for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the drive!!LuvnewplacesDined on 10/14/2014Our 1st visit to The Obstinate Daughter was a delicious & pleasant one. There were 2 of us for lunch & we split 2 plates. Our server, from PA, was very personable & told us about the menu. The food arrived quickly & was very good. We had the roasted beets & Farro salad w chicken. Food & service were very good. We were able to enjoy a very good & enjoyable lunch. Good & service very good ! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.