The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
2063 Middle St.
Sullivans Island, SC 29482Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $30 and under
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theobstinatedaughter.com/
- Phone: 8434165020x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Jacques Larson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
A word from The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
We chose the symbol of The Obstinate Daughter to celebrate the spirit, sass and determination of Miss Carolina Sulivan. Sullivan's Island and its rich history is the perfect backdrop for our lowcountry “Food Fort.” A Southern restaurant that is influenced by French, Italian and Spanish cuisine, The Obstinate Daughter houses a wood fired oven, plancha and island kitchen range. Pizza, pasta, small plates and a raw bar are the focus of the menu. Moving seasonally, the menu also is rooted by the burgeoning farms and fisherman in Charleston who all supply us with the superior products that make our region so special. The Obstinate Daughter is proud to be a part of the progressive food movement of Charleston and the cultural renaissance we are experiencing. We are also excited to be working towards the Green Restaurant Certification that our sister restaurant, Wild Olive, procured in the Spring of 2013. Promoting sustainable practices is a cornerstone of our business ideology.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerLow Country
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island - Best Restaurants in Sullivan's Island ›
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island reviews from OpenTable diners
294 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (218)neighborhood gem (193)hot spot (129)special occasion (98)vibrant bar scene (78)romantic (58)great for lunch (58)good for groups (56)great for brunch (50)notable wine list (39)kid-friendly (31)late-night find (21)scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Menu is differentDebiDined on 8/25/2014The restaurant was recommended to us during our stay at Wild Dunes. The menu has entrees and plates. The plates are small portions, bigger than tapas, that can be eaten alone or shared. We chose to share three plates, the arugula and peach salad, flatbread, and geetchi frites (fried polenta) and an entree, the grouper special. All choices were tasty. The grouper was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Food was great, but be ready for the unusual items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite new place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/24/2014I've visited OD several times and have not been disappointed. The food is fresh, local and fantastic. Pizzas have perfect crispy crusts with creative local ingrediants. Pasta is out of this world, homemade, divine. The Gnocchi with short rib ragu is the best most satisfying pasta dish in Charleston! Pair that with one of the moderately priced Italian reds and you'll fall in love with this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful restaurantBluegrassgirl2Dined on 8/24/2014As always, the food was wonderful and the service was outstanding but find it difficult to talk and hear because it's so noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findKathythefoodie123Dined on 8/24/2014I loved the fact that one can make healthy choices that were great: peas and carrots and salads. Or, choose to have pasta or pizza. Nice ambiance and good service. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/24/2014Had heard much about OD. We could not get in for dinner but were very happy to find out that we could order anything from the menu at Sunday brunch time. Love the decor, the food and we had wonderful service!Special Features:
- Great restaurant with unusual menuluv2dineoutDined on 8/23/2014I ordered the Grouper Special which was very good but had I known it was $32.00 I would have ordered something else. I have eaten grouper, that was just as good, at other restaurants for about two-thirds the price. Overall, the food was wonderful with just the right amount of seasonings and everyone (5 all together) did not have anything negative to say. The octopus and sweet bread were awesome. My suggestion would to ask the price of the specials before ordering. Also, the oyster special was $32.00. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food and cool atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Food was delicious - seasonal and well executed. Cocktail, beer, and wine lists were all interesting. Pizza was small plates were excellent. Can't wait to go back and try the pastas.Special Features:
- A Local TreasureFoodlover1Dined on 8/22/2014We recently tried several items at The Obstinate Daughter and found everything we tried outstanding. My favorite was The Mepkin Abbey mushroom and kale salad. Loved pasta dish with eggplant, peach and prosciutto salad and frogmore stew. I can't wait to go back and take my husband as this was a "girls night out".Special Features:
- websccDined on 8/21/2014Super cozy and fun for dinner or cocktails....just feels beachy and you want to kick back and relax!Special Features:
- Great lunch!NYCFoodyVIPDined on 8/21/2014This place is going to be a hit (and already is!). We dined there this past Thursday for lunch and every table was full. My 2 friends had the red snapper, which I tasted and it was superb. I had the cavatelli with swordfish and it was delish! We have a reservation in September for dinner and I can't wait to go!Special Features:
- A unique findD4EwombatDined on 8/19/2014A very creative menu that is rather experimental. Definitely not a meat and three sides! Polite and knowledgeable staff. Noisy but still able to converse. Interesting food creations probably not to everyone's taste.Special Features:
- Sat., August 16, 2014Bluegrassgirl2Dined on 8/16/2014We LOVE coming to The Obstinate Daughter! It's our new favorite restaurant for several reasons....terrific location, delicious menu and vibrant scene! We've been 7 or 8 times and always find the staff very professional and knowledgeable.....the food is always wonderful! Last Saturday, we watched the sun set as we enjoyed our pre-dinner cocktail. Whenever we come, we feel like we're dining at a special spot while on vacation....thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchJennyBDined on 8/16/2014After reading several great reviews, we decided to try this restaurant for Saturday brunch. We are so glad we did! The décor is beautiful, the food is amazing and the service was top notch. We had the Natural Blonde Bloody Mary (made with yellow heirloom tomatoes - a real treat!) and we split the Eggs Benedict and French Toast. Everything was perfectly prepared and utterly delicious. There was no food left behind. I highly recommend this new spot on Sullivan's Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worked for usOleocalligraphyDined on 8/15/2014We are a ladies lunch group, well-travelled and demanding. We loved it!
- kimg2233VIPDined on 8/14/2014Great night out! I am thrilled with the opening of OD. We loved the restaurant previously located here, Atlanticville. Obstinate Daughter has great energy and ambience and the food was great.Special Features:
- Gamecock1Dined on 8/14/2014Great find but hard to make a reservation except for 5 or 5:30 / 9 or 9:30. We took friends from Charlotte that own some properties.at Isle of Palms. They had a great experience and will be back. I would like to see some flounder on the menu and some other simple grilled fish to go with the vegetable dishes. Great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best at the beachpickyeaterDined on 8/13/2014With so many look-alike menus in the area, it was a pleasure to see (and enjoy) the distinctive choices and focus on quality here. The gluten-free member of our group also appreciated the gluten free options for each pasta. Our "best of table" entree was the Ricotta Gnocchi with short rib ragu; the South Carolina peach salad was also a delight. The Mepkin Abbey Mushroom dish was perfectly prepared, but know that these mushrooms have a very particular taste. Our table was divided on them. Friendly service, but we were there on a packed-house evening, so it wasn't always 100% attentive. If we were going again, I would order more plates to share. PS: Great cocktails here.Special Features:
- What Dining Should BeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014My dad and I celebrated his birthday here and we thoroughly enjoyed everything about the place. I placed a reservation because we had plans later in the evening. We felt taken care of from the moment we arrived. We decided to share several of the plates and got the house white as our server suggested. The presentation was beautiful, the food was full of flavor and all the servers made us feel like we were their only table. There was a tie for favorite plate of the night - the Obstinate Flatbread with butter bean puree was, simply put, fantastic and the NC Calico Scallop and squid Fra Diavolo had the perfect amount of spice - heat, but still incredibly flavorful. We ended the night as it should end, with the peach bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummersPeanutDined on 8/11/2014Lunch or dinner, you'll never be disappointed. Consistently good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowJB29715Dined on 8/10/2014First time to OD but definitely not the last. Restaurant is beautiful with a great casual but upscale feel to it. Food was awesome and the portions just right.....can't wait for our next visit.Special Features:
- FantasticCGALEARDDined on 8/10/2014Great food with wonderful variety. Servers are knowledgeable and had great recommendations. Fabulous environment. Charming and comfortable with an elegant high-end menu. Unique cocktails as well as great wine list.Special Features:
- AMAZING!JM28Dined on 8/4/2014My husband and I have been wanting to try OD since it opened but it has been so popular we had to book a reservation a week out. From the second we arrived we were impressed. Seated before reservation, waiter was very well versed on the wine menu and explained the food menu perfectly! Service was quick and great presentation! As we were walking out a waiter that was about to pick up drinks at the bar to deliever to another table stopped what he was doing and ran to the door to open for us. Wonderful experience! Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good vibe, good time!LuvstodineoutVIPDined on 8/3/2014Second time here. Will become a "go to" place for us when wanting something a bit Special but not stuffySpecial Features:
- BrunchBrutusDined on 8/3/2014We had a large party meeting for brunch ! We all had a wonderful experience....even tasted each other's food so we got a great sampling of the menu offerings! The waitress was so wonderful and provided great service and did not rush us even though we had a huge table! We have been there before and will continue to go back.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every aspectwaterboyDined on 8/2/2014Just a real fun place to have dinner. Upbeat environment, friendly staff and outstanding food. What more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Enjoyed our evening very muchfoodiesDined on 8/2/2014The food was phenomenal. I recommend the pate, sweet breads, and sausage parpadelle pasta for sure! We had a great waiter who was very attentive and knew the wines and menu very well. I would highly recommend this restaurant (next time I might try brunch).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have already been three times!CharlestonBoyVIPDined on 8/1/2014...and I am going back next week. Enough said. Except open table requires 50 characters...so...enough said!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Loved Frank, the bartender! Atmosphere fun. Food good. A little noisy. Wi L go back.Special Features:
- Excellent Foodlovethebeach2Dined on 7/31/2014Went for anniversary dinner the food and drinks were delicious! We had the peach bread pudding for dessert it was outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What fun!SusanDined on 7/30/2014We had a great dinner here the other evening. I'd love to go back every week. The wine was great and incredibly reasonable. The oysters are the best I've ever had. I wish I was having the Old Danger pizza for lunch today! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyDined on 7/30/2014Well worth the hour drive. Reservations a must. All the food we ordered was excellent from the flatbread to the pasta. Parking is not impossible but may be a short walk from the entrance. Sister restaurant- Wild Olive lost a lot when chef and focus shifted to OD. Maybe a six-month rotation will allow both places to benefit from his talent.Special Features:
- OD/BeardCat, a KO!ashevillefoodieDined on 7/27/2014The Obstinate Daughter and sister sweets BeardCat are the true example of gems in the rough! WOW! From the first bite, we knew we had discovered something so special and just to make sure we revisited several times for different meals. Every time we were awed by the craftsmanship, flavors and quality of ingredients! Mesh that with the most personable and happy crew was truly memorable! Don't tell the finest haunts in Charleston that reservations were cancelled because we just wanted to go back and spend an evening with The Daughter! And one last thing, olive oil and sea salt gelato? Crazy good!Special Features:
- Our new favorite restaurantCatherineDined on 7/26/2014We already have plans to go back next week. We have been twice, and both times were wonderful. Excellent food, great service, and good ambiance. We want to eventually try everything on the menu, before it changes!Special Features:
- A great new spot for usRoyallDined on 7/26/2014Very interesting and well prepared menu. Get ready to think out of the usual box and take a chance on something new like we did. Great service and fun atmosphere. Open kitchen draws everyone together. Nice wine list.Special Features:
- Great food and service!LuvCulinaryVacationDined on 7/26/2014This place is another gem for Jacques Larson (also Wild Olive on Johns Island)! The geeche frites are amazing! the mushroom kale salad delicious! the Hog toast is a must try as well - sliced and piled high with in house ham on toasted pumpernickel mustard and arugula - wonderful to share....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, but can be "snobbish"DiningfoolDined on 7/25/2014I live on the island and have been here many times. I've tried a few different entrées and starter items and they have all been excellent. You should definitely try this restaurant. The only negative is that the place comes across as one of those snobbish types that only wants to serve you the food the way they want to serve it to you (kind of a "I know better than you" attitude). I get that they have a way of preparing a dish, but they don't take even mild special requests very well (like "leave off the onions"). And don't even ask for crackers for the oysters! The Old Danger pizza is awesome but attempt to get them to cook it with the egg over medium. I had it served very "over easy" once (not by request) & it was nearly inedible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not miss!SavortheSaltDined on 7/24/2014Hats off to the food lovers behind The Obstinate Daugter! Decor is crisp and inviting, food is fresh and creative, and seasoning is spot on. Try the Old Danger pizza topped by a farm fresh egg, and do not miss the Geetchie Frites. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing End-to-End DiningFood4thoughtDined on 7/21/2014Everything was perfect. Nice ambience. Great wine. The gnocchi is a must. Prompt and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMollyDined on 7/21/2014Our second time here. The first time was with a large group and it was noisy, crowded, and confusing. Much better with a smaller group of 4 people. Our server Danielle was very knowledgeable about the wine list and made excellent recommendations about how to order from the menu. We shared three small plates, a pasta, and a pizza. The plates came out progressively so everything was paced well. Just the right amount and delicious. Not easy getting a reservation but worth it! Loved the gelato downstairs too. We'll be back!Special Features: