The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
2063 Middle St.
Sullivans Island, SC 29482Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $30 and under
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theobstinatedaughter.com/
- Phone: 8434165020x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Jacques Larson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
A word from The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
We chose the symbol of The Obstinate Daughter to celebrate the spirit, sass and determination of Miss Carolina Sulivan. Sullivan's Island and its rich history is the perfect backdrop for our lowcountry “Food Fort.” A Southern restaurant that is influenced by French, Italian and Spanish cuisine, The Obstinate Daughter houses a wood fired oven, plancha and island kitchen range. Pizza, pasta, small plates and a raw bar are the focus of the menu. Moving seasonally, the menu also is rooted by the burgeoning farms and fisherman in Charleston who all supply us with the superior products that make our region so special. The Obstinate Daughter is proud to be a part of the progressive food movement of Charleston and the cultural renaissance we are experiencing. We are also excited to be working towards the Green Restaurant Certification that our sister restaurant, Wild Olive, procured in the Spring of 2013. Promoting sustainable practices is a cornerstone of our business ideology.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island - Best Restaurants in Sullivan's Island ›
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island reviews from OpenTable diners
342 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (267)neighborhood gem (225)hot spot (167)special occasion (116)vibrant bar scene (93)great for lunch (88)good for groups (78)great for brunch (76)romantic (71)notable wine list (44)kid-friendly (37)late-night find (26)scenic view (13)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Absolutely incredible food, adorable interior, such a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cleaning bathrooms during lunch?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We arrived for our 11:30am reservation and noticed a strong Clorox smell. Mind you, the restaurant had already been open for 30 minutes. I look over and see cleaning person working on the bathrooms. Then, she wheeled the entire mop bucket and cleaning supplies through the restaurant! It was not appetizing nor welcoming. Otherwise, food was good and atmosphere was fun!Special Features:
- Great food & decor; service issueEmaloo7Dined on 9/27/2014I'm from SC & brought an out-of-state group to brunch at the Obstinate Daughter. The decor & food were great! We had pizzas, brunch dishes & delish drinks. But an issue with the bill was not addressed, leaving my guests with a negative view of "southern hospitality." At the start of the meal, an extra drink was brought to the table. The server noticed & said she'd remove it from the bill, but left it at the table in case someone wanted to try it. When we got the bill, there was the extra drink. When notified, she said "well you drank it." We discussed again & she left to correct the bill. She returned, saying she'd left it on the bill. This small issue made the restaurant seem petty & non-accommodating. I was disappointed in that regard.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Reservations need to be made in advance, but it is worth the wait. We had an early reservation (5:30) and arrived even earlier, but we were seated immediately. Service and food was excellent in every way. We shared the Geechie Frites and Mepkin Abbey Mushrooms small plates. Main courses were the Ricotta Gnocchi and Pappardelle. Would definitely order all of those dishes again. A table near us ordered the pizza and it looked amazing. It will be hard to make up our minds when we visit the next time! For dessert, we went downstairs to the Bearded Cat and had the Best.Gelato.Ever. I hope for dessert you'll sometimes offer a semifreddo similar to those sometimes served at The Wild Olive. My favorite restaurants in the CHS area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service too much?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Ive dined at O/D many times and have loved my experience every time so I encourage people to make the drive and enjoy this fabulous place. My only note to the restaurant is to remind the service staff to "back off" a bit while servicing. We were there for a business meeting lunch and felt we were interrupted way too many times by the waitress to ask if we needed plates removed. One of us was a slower eater but instead of waiting till all were done with the meal, our waitress removed all other plates while the guest was eating and then came back twice within 5 minutes to see if the eater was done yet. It was too much. And O/D has impeccable service. Worth giving the staff a quick reminder on when to give the diners their space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillVIPDined on 9/24/2014The food is excellent with reasonable pricing. The wine list is also good.We especially liked the house wine at the $5 price per glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday BrunchhillvisDined on 9/21/2014Went with some family for a Sunday brunch and we all really enjoyed the experience. The blond bloody mary was extremely tasty! We had a variety of items including an appetizer, salad, a few pizzas and pasta dishes and everyone in the group enjoyed their food. Fine to take young ones there during the lunch time, but probably wouldn't take them in the evenings. Wait staff and hostess were all great.Special Features:
- Really goodnetsandchuckDined on 9/21/2014I brought an out-of-town friend here for brunch one Sunday. I had heard a lot of great things about the restaurant and wanted to try it. It did not disappoint. It is beautifully decorated. The blueberry sticky bun was amazing - prepared by their pastry chef who also runs the Bearded Cat downstairs. Our meals were delicious. The staff was very attentive and knowledgeable. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & service!travelingdinerDined on 9/19/2014Charming spot on Sullivans Island with excellent food & service! Worth the drive to the island from Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazing!FortMillSCDined on 9/19/2014Setting and ambiance was great.....service was above average......wait time was great.......food was amazingly phenominal!.....highly highly reccomended....( we visited twice during our stay, and it was as good both visits....with the exception of the wait time for food on the second visit was considerably slower....but well worth the wait)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty place for a drink?TheDiningDivaVIPDined on 9/19/2014My friend and I ordered the shrimp roll with geechie fries, described to us by our server as similar to a lobster salad roll, but shrimp. The roll was nicely grilled, but presented sorely. The roll flopped on its side, unlike a Maine lobster roll that would have sat nicely stuffed, sitting on its bottom. The roll had little stuffing, with empty ends. The shrimp was room tempature, not cold, and no celery to speak of. The shrimp was soft, not crisp. The geechie fries were greasy. Only four small fries were served with our rolls. Who only eats four fries? This roll was an expensive lunch, $14. We were disappointed, as the restaurant is beautifully decorated and service friendly.
- Not what I expecteddine4funDined on 9/16/2014Probably my fault, but not what I expected from a restaurant on Sullivans Island. Was expecting some good local seafood dishes, not pasta and pizza. Had the ricotta gnocchi which was good. My wife had pizza (not what she was expecting either). Pizza was fair. While we were dining, we saw three diners complain and send food back. Wish they had a better localized menu. There are many better restaurants in our area.Special Features:
- Wonderful LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014From entering this beautiful space to our waiter's introduction, this charmer of a restaurant is a wonderful addition to Sullivan's Island. The food is delicious, made only better by the energy of our waitress.Special Features:
- Great new findbradamonteDined on 9/14/2014Wonderful gnocchi and seemed to have lots of good choices. Gelato was excellent for dessert.Special Features:
- A Sullivan's Island ExperienceJimboelrodDined on 9/13/2014What incredible service, food, wine offering, atmosphere, and decor. I will go back over and over again to impress friends and family alike!Special Features:
- First TimeMachessVIPDined on 9/13/2014Menu was scary for first time visit but restaurant was highly recommended by my son. Penne was a little spicy but the gnocchi was excellent. Shrimp roll and pizza, as well as, $5 house wines were great. Happening place with great food. Much better than his other restaurant, Wild OliveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ServicestreasurethemomentDined on 9/13/2014Second visit was not as enjoyable as the first. Server lacked the personality that we had on our initial visit a few weeks ago, pasta was good but pizza was a little overcooked and ended up in the trash the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back for dinner!TennisGirlVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had brunch here because we couldn't get a reservation for 3 nights, except 5:00 p.m. or 9:00/10:00 p.m. Brunch was excellent though and next time we'll plan ahead to make a reservation for dinner. Very trendy, hot spot due to mentions in Southern Living I'm sure, and well deserving! As one reviewer said, it's like a downtown Charleston restaurant, that happens to be on an island!Special Features:
- LunchladyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Unprecedented seafood, pizza, and pasta. Unfortunately if you try to stay away from pizza and pasta, the menu gets very limited very fast. A chicken or beef dish would be a nice option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KudosGoodEatsDined on 9/12/2014Our table was ready when we arrived on a Friday night. Waitress Erika was charming and very helpful and fun. All 4 of us enjoyed our food a lot and the cool vibes in this restaurant. Very lively but service was attentive and booth seating was so comfortable and kept us out of the hustle and bustle. There were big kudos for the sweetbreads, papardelle pasta and oysters on the half shell.Special Features:
- disappointing daughterlooking4goodfoodDined on 9/10/2014I read about this in Southern Living so we were excited to try it when we visited Charleston the week of Sept. 10. We requested NO SALT added to the snapper and I got the Tile Fish special which was supposed to be fresh. The food was so over salted it was ruined. The snapper appeared to be from frozen not fresh. Nothing going here except a fancy place on a ritzy island - but food is no good.Special Features:
- Wonderful find! Food was amazingLove2eatDined on 9/8/2014Fabulous new restaurant on Sullivan's island. The good was amaxing and out server jesse smith made the whole evening complete!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteMichelle317Dined on 9/7/2014We tried The Obstinate Daughter for brunch. Our server was friendly and prompt. The goat cheese app was fabulous and we enjoyed our pasta dishes. The carbonara was the perfect size, fresh and full of flavor. Looking forward to trying dinner soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding and NauticalgapeachDined on 9/7/2014Delicious food--interesting combinations that work out wonderfully together--and all set in cute nautical decor. A must visit if on Sullivan's!Special Features:
- dinner with the AtkinsBluegrassgirl2Dined on 9/6/2014As usual, we had a scrumptious meal last Saturday night! Had the ravioli for the first time and it was so tasty....loved the light sauce! My husband had the gnochi (?) with short ribs and was impressed. The bourbon and pecan creme brulee was BEST dessert ever! Always a memorable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!ABLEDined on 9/6/2014Hands down the best overall meal and experience I've ever had in Charleston (and I'm a native). Liz was our server and was so attentive, gave amazing suggestions and made the experience even more wonderful! Even my parents who live in DC said it was the most perfect dining experience!Special Features:
- Upscale Trendy for SIOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was amazing! Not enough room at the bar area to grab drinks before dinner, unless you take your drinks outside. We will be back!Special Features:
- ChrisDined on 9/5/2014Great food at a fun place! We enjoyed everything! We had a reservation and our booth was ready and waiting for us when we got there. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014We were so impressed with our experience. Service with a smile, decent pricing, amazing flavors, wide variety menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticMartiVIPDined on 9/3/2014The food was outstanding ! Great casual space with fabulous Ambiance. Service was wonderful I would definitely recommend giving this trying !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- iop4meDined on 9/2/2014Great atmosphere and excellent service. The pizza and the fish were favorites at our table. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Excellent and enjoyed very muchMPSBobDined on 9/2/2014Had the lambs collar that was very tender with excellent taste. We are gluten free and had the Geechie sticks with a bean spread that was very good. Also had the kale and Mepkin Abbey mushroom salad shared with my wife that was out if sight. My wife had a flounder grilled dish that was superb. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time not a charmSaltyDogDined on 9/1/2014Overall very good food and standards, our waitress went AWOL at a critical point in our meal when we needed which spoiled the evening as we could not sip wine with our meal, the food would have gone cold by the time we were served.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance!Curl8theWhirlDined on 9/1/2014Really enjoyed the beautiful atmosphere, nautical-themed without being too much. The Mepkin Abbey mushrooms and kale were delicious, as was The Old Danger pizza. Only complaint is the choice of music. The restaurant had a lively hum with diners' conversations, yet I could hear high pitched young Michael Jackson from Jackson Five days in the background and then some faster-paced Pointer Sisters, not really conducive to a nice dinner and conversation.Special Features:
- ReneTurtleluv1Dined on 9/1/2014Recently read about Obstinate Daughter in Southern Living's top 100. We were not disappointed. Our food was stupendous from plates to entrees. For anyone with gluten issues try the Red Velvet cake. The peach bread pudding is delectable. Our server whose name I cannot remember from last Monday night was one of the best waiters I've had. Can't say enough about this new Sullivan's Island addition. Make sure you plan ahead and make reservations early. One of our new favorites.Special Features:
- Excellent place. Meatball sandwichOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014was absolutely the best I have ever had anywhere. The pizza's were delicious. The service and atmosphere excellent...Would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DissappointedLillyparkeDined on 9/1/2014This is such a wonderful addition to Sullivan's Island. The food is wonderful and all very different. The Moultrie Cocktail along with the Red Coat. Both are refreshing and quite tasty. The Old Danger Pizza is my favorite but I tried a bunch of different items. In my most recent visit I tried the gnocchi with short ribs and it was AWESOME. My date had a sandwich and had a hard time eating it because of all of the toppings and the massive bread roll in which it was served. We have a lovely server, Kayleigh who made great recommendations and was attentive to our party then entire meal. I recommend this establishment to all of my friends and anyone visiting the area.Special Features:
- So fresh!RGBMD1Dined on 8/31/2014Excellent presentation of fresh food with wonderful flavor. We loved it. Be warned- it is very loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a findSpectacularVIPDined on 8/31/2014From the hostess to the waiter to the incredible fresh shrimp and over fired pizza, what's not to like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningGAGARDENGIRLDined on 8/30/2014The Obstinate Daughter offered a well crafted menu with plenty of options for fresh seafood, pasta, or pizza for the discriminating diner.....great decor.....definitely will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.