The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
2063 Middle St.
Sullivans Island, SC 29482Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $30 and under
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theobstinatedaughter.com/
- Phone: 8434165020x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Jacques Larson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
A word from The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island
We chose the symbol of The Obstinate Daughter to celebrate the spirit, sass and determination of Miss Carolina Sulivan. Sullivan's Island and its rich history is the perfect backdrop for our lowcountry “Food Fort.” A Southern restaurant that is influenced by French, Italian and Spanish cuisine, The Obstinate Daughter houses a wood fired oven, plancha and island kitchen range. Pizza, pasta, small plates and a raw bar are the focus of the menu. Moving seasonally, the menu also is rooted by the burgeoning farms and fisherman in Charleston who all supply us with the superior products that make our region so special. The Obstinate Daughter is proud to be a part of the progressive food movement of Charleston and the cultural renaissance we are experiencing. We are also excited to be working towards the Green Restaurant Certification that our sister restaurant, Wild Olive, procured in the Spring of 2013. Promoting sustainable practices is a cornerstone of our business ideology.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island - Best Restaurants in Sullivan's Island ›
The Obstinate Daughter - Sullivans Island reviews from OpenTable diners
343 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (277)neighborhood gem (226)hot spot (167)special occasion (114)great for lunch (95)good for groups (88)vibrant bar scene (80)great for brunch (77)romantic (71)notable wine list (47)kid-friendly (38)late-night find (21)scenic view (13)great for outdoor dining (6)Show More
- ODOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/19/2014Food was great, service, not so much. Our server appeared to be new and did not provide good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutandaboutDined on 10/18/2014Great experience. Food all delicious. Waitress was very attentive. Would return and hopefully soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful nautical decorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We were recommended about the brunch at a concert we attended. It was so wonderfully decorated, and the food was delicious. The waitress and staff were very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. I would and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homerun as usualJenanneCBDined on 10/14/2014We dine here on the regular, and as usual the OD did not disappoint. Tried the geechie frites for the first time, dee-licious. The Fig Nasty pizza and Short Rib Gnocchi (think little pillows) are to die for. It is hard to get a reservation, so if you really want to eat at the OD, arrive early around 5, and there are almost always hightop tables and bar seating available. Easily our favorite restaurant in Charleston.Special Features:
- Lunch - food awesome a bit slowMtPleasantGirlDined on 10/14/2014Have been there many times for dinner and just like dinner the food us wonderful. However, the service was very slow for lunch. There was one server for half the restaurant who was also the bartender. Although, a great guy just too many tables for one person. Took about 90 minutes for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the drive!!LuvnewplacesDined on 10/14/2014Our 1st visit to The Obstinate Daughter was a delicious & pleasant one. There were 2 of us for lunch & we split 2 plates. Our server, from PA, was very personable & told us about the menu. The food arrived quickly & was very good. We had the roasted beets & Farro salad w chicken. Food & service were very good. We were able to enjoy a very good & enjoyable lunch. Good & service very good ! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spotJBurrDined on 10/13/2014This restaurant used to be called Atlanticville. Now it has been completely redone and is just great! The decode is is eclectic, and the food is as well. Nightly specials are interesting, and the menu is completely redone. It was an evening to remember.Special Features:
- The Best of the TripaddictedtocharlestonDined on 10/13/2014I'm a frequent visitor to Charleston and love to eat somewhere new every time I come. This was the hit of the trip and everyone requested that we make OD a place that we come back to. Our server was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and just all around pleasant. We were all literally licking our plates after the beet plate, that we shared. Each of us ordered a different entre and no a single bite was left behind. The nicest surprise came from the table next to use who we struck up a conversation with after we saw their desserts come and as we were deciding on ours the waitress informed us they had bought our dessert for us. Truly a wonderful overall experience, we will be back, and I will be recommending it to everyone I talk to.Special Features:
- DivinewishiwereafoodcriticDined on 10/12/2014Small and quaint with lots of yummy personality! Amazing ambiance and original menu items with best of local ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!JenGDined on 10/11/2014Food and service was spectacular! Shrimp roll was so delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!BrianDined on 10/11/2014My wife chose OD for her birthday dinner this year and we were not disappointed at all! Our server, Josh, did an absolutely fantastic job. We could not have asked for better service. Top that off with some amazing food and this restaurant is an absolute must-visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousGoatIsleGirlDined on 10/10/2014Thank you for an outstanding evening. The food was great. We enjoyed two appetizers, the roasted beets and the Mempkin Abby mushrooms. We also has the fish entree and homemade Gnocci. Couldn't have asked for a better meal. Our server was Bethany. She made our evening very special.Special Features:
- OverratedEOfanDined on 10/8/2014After seeing that the OD was listed as #4 on Southern Living's top 100 list & having it come with a high recommendation from a friend, we decided to try it. I read the reviews before hand and we ordered the geechie frites & the old danger pizza. The frites were good, but not great. The sauce has too much tomato base and overpowers the frites. The pizza was really good and definitely something we'd order again. I'm really confused as to how this restaurant ranked #4. We'd rank Edmund's Oast & The Grocery above it easily. While the atmosphere is very chic & pleasing, it lends itself more to the female crowd. My husband felt a bit out of place as one of very few males there. It seemed to be the place women went for girl's night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchChuchieDined on 10/6/2014Our experience was perfect from start to finish. Food was interesting, delicious and best of all sharing is encouraged so you can experience more selections from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One item delicious, the other notOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2014We ordered 2 plates and a pizza. From the menu we had the kale/mushroom small plate. It was excellent. We also had an appetizer from the special board, a country pate with bread. We both had one bite and then didn't eat anymore, it was tasteless. The waitress did not ask if anything was wrong and we did not complain. Our entree was the fig pizzza. It was OK, but would not order any of their pizzas again. We will go back, but will order other items off the menu.Special Features:
- Enjoyingmy1lifeVIPDined on 10/5/2014A true delight, perfect setting to enjoy delicious food in a quaint setting!Special Features:
- A New Gem!2yummyDined on 10/4/2014Eating at the Obstinate Daughter is a delight! The decor is beautifully done in a casual nautical theme. The food is delicious and presented wonderfully. I enjoyed every bite. The service is great. This is my new favorite brunch and lunch restaurant!Special Features:
- Great BrunchRussParrishDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I had brunch at the OD Saturday 4 Oct. The staff were friendly and very attentive, the food great and local and the ambiance elegant relaxed beach feel. We had a wonderful time at OD and will return next time we are in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Amazing!luv2dineVIPDined on 10/4/2014I had read a blurb in Bon Appetite about their awesome cocktails and since our son lives in Charleston, we decided to try dinner - completely booked! We made a reservation for brunch on Saturday (my birthday) and their food is AMAZING. Our server, Julia, could not have been better. We loved everything we ordered and wish we could have eaten more. We will be back and make a reservation weeks/months in advance for dinner! Cool beach area too! Love the second story location!Special Features:
- TammyDined on 10/3/2014Food was a real treat. We did wonder if bread was to be served though it was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014Simple, concise but well executed menu. Great find outside of your typical downtown Charleston restaurants. Great vibe, calmer atmosphere, great service. We will visit again when we come back to Isle of Palms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backWeeatoutDined on 10/1/2014We had a special dining experience here. Food was delicious; we appreciated local items. Our server Bethany knew the menu items. All in all, a very good meal. Only thing we missed was bread served with out cocktails. We'll know the next time to order some of the flatbread to with our drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent new restaurantAloysiusDined on 9/29/2014My wife and I were delighted with the attractive decor and atmosphere. The menu was varied and extremely tasty. We intend to re-visit many times. We had a reservation for 7:15, at which time we arrived and were promptly seated. That is a big deal these days, at least to us.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Find !OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/29/2014We stopped by the Obstinate Daughter after reading a magazine review. It was everything that was promised. The Oysters on the half shell were among the best we ever tasted. The waitress was very knowledgeable and able to suggest wines to accompany our dishes. Our plans now include visiting for dinner and taking friends.Special Features:
- Amazing foodWarEagleDined on 9/27/2014Absolutely incredible food, adorable interior, such a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cleaning bathrooms during lunch?localwvisitorsDined on 9/27/2014We arrived for our 11:30am reservation and noticed a strong Clorox smell. Mind you, the restaurant had already been open for 30 minutes. I look over and see cleaning person working on the bathrooms. Then, she wheeled the entire mop bucket and cleaning supplies through the restaurant! It was not appetizing nor welcoming. Otherwise, food was good and atmosphere was fun!Special Features:
- Great food & decor; service issueEmaloo7Dined on 9/27/2014I'm from SC & brought an out-of-state group to brunch at the Obstinate Daughter. The decor & food were great! We had pizzas, brunch dishes & delish drinks. But an issue with the bill was not addressed, leaving my guests with a negative view of "southern hospitality." At the start of the meal, an extra drink was brought to the table. The server noticed & said she'd remove it from the bill, but left it at the table in case someone wanted to try it. When we got the bill, there was the extra drink. When notified, she said "well you drank it." We discussed again & she left to correct the bill. She returned, saying she'd left it on the bill. This small issue made the restaurant seem petty & non-accommodating. I was disappointed in that regard.Special Features:
- my favorite restaurantmoscowmule1Dined on 9/26/2014It's no wonder it's so hard to get into....such an amazing restaurant. I love everything about it. Cocktails, Food, Dessert, Service...everything is top notch.Special Features:
- Wonderful!karenSCDined on 9/26/2014Reservations need to be made in advance, but it is worth the wait. We had an early reservation (5:30) and arrived even earlier, but we were seated immediately. Service and food was excellent in every way. We shared the Geechie Frites and Mepkin Abbey Mushrooms small plates. Main courses were the Ricotta Gnocchi and Pappardelle. Would definitely order all of those dishes again. A table near us ordered the pizza and it looked amazing. It will be hard to make up our minds when we visit the next time! For dessert, we went downstairs to the Bearded Cat and had the Best.Gelato.Ever. I hope for dessert you'll sometimes offer a semifreddo similar to those sometimes served at The Wild Olive. My favorite restaurants in the CHS area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service too much?ODRegularDined on 9/26/2014Ive dined at O/D many times and have loved my experience every time so I encourage people to make the drive and enjoy this fabulous place. My only note to the restaurant is to remind the service staff to "back off" a bit while servicing. We were there for a business meeting lunch and felt we were interrupted way too many times by the waitress to ask if we needed plates removed. One of us was a slower eater but instead of waiting till all were done with the meal, our waitress removed all other plates while the guest was eating and then came back twice within 5 minutes to see if the eater was done yet. It was too much. And O/D has impeccable service. Worth giving the staff a quick reminder on when to give the diners their space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillVIPDined on 9/24/2014The food is excellent with reasonable pricing. The wine list is also good.We especially liked the house wine at the $5 price per glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lowcountry4meDined on 9/24/2014staff very good and knowledgeable about food and menus. Disappointed in shrimp sandwich. bread not appropriate, shrimp no taste,no seasoning I am from Florida and we use substantial roll, great remoulade sauce and shrimp of good seasoning. Pasta was very good and pizza was as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen was slow, great foodSullivansIslandDined on 9/21/2014The kitchen was a little slow but our waitress was excellent. We were not in a hurry so we were fine. The food was fun and interesting. The restaurant is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday BrunchhillvisDined on 9/21/2014Went with some family for a Sunday brunch and we all really enjoyed the experience. The blond bloody mary was extremely tasty! We had a variety of items including an appetizer, salad, a few pizzas and pasta dishes and everyone in the group enjoyed their food. Fine to take young ones there during the lunch time, but probably wouldn't take them in the evenings. Wait staff and hostess were all great.Special Features:
- Really goodnetsandchuckDined on 9/21/2014I brought an out-of-town friend here for brunch one Sunday. I had heard a lot of great things about the restaurant and wanted to try it. It did not disappoint. It is beautifully decorated. The blueberry sticky bun was amazing - prepared by their pastry chef who also runs the Bearded Cat downstairs. Our meals were delicious. The staff was very attentive and knowledgeable. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & service!travelingdinerDined on 9/19/2014Charming spot on Sullivans Island with excellent food & service! Worth the drive to the island from Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazing!FortMillSCDined on 9/19/2014Setting and ambiance was great.....service was above average......wait time was great.......food was amazingly phenominal!.....highly highly reccomended....( we visited twice during our stay, and it was as good both visits....with the exception of the wait time for food on the second visit was considerably slower....but well worth the wait)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty place for a drink?TheDiningDivaVIPDined on 9/19/2014My friend and I ordered the shrimp roll with geechie fries, described to us by our server as similar to a lobster salad roll, but shrimp. The roll was nicely grilled, but presented sorely. The roll flopped on its side, unlike a Maine lobster roll that would have sat nicely stuffed, sitting on its bottom. The roll had little stuffing, with empty ends. The shrimp was room tempature, not cold, and no celery to speak of. The shrimp was soft, not crisp. The geechie fries were greasy. Only four small fries were served with our rolls. Who only eats four fries? This roll was an expensive lunch, $14. We were disappointed, as the restaurant is beautifully decorated and service friendly.
- Our new favorite on the IslandMellis1Dined on 9/16/2014Our first time eating here since they opened. we come to Isle of Palms 2-3 times a year. Luckily we made a reservation...I would highly recommend reservations. Wonderful server who we trusted to help us order!! the menu does change so will just say that All that we shared was wonderful. Love the decor too. Already made reservations for our next trip back to the Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expecteddine4funDined on 9/16/2014Probably my fault, but not what I expected from a restaurant on Sullivans Island. Was expecting some good local seafood dishes, not pasta and pizza. Had the ricotta gnocchi which was good. My wife had pizza (not what she was expecting either). Pizza was fair. While we were dining, we saw three diners complain and send food back. Wish they had a better localized menu. There are many better restaurants in our area.Special Features: