The Oar Steak and Seafood Grill
264 West Avenue
Patchogue, NY 11772Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Oar Steak and Seafood Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theoar.com/
- Phone: 6316548266
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm WINTER MONTHS CLOSED MONDAY & TUESDAY
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: The restaurant offers a private catering facility.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for details.
- Private Party Contact: Lindsey Blakeslee 6316548266
- Entertainment: Live Music WINTER- Friday and Saturday SUMMER- Wednesday - Sunday
A word from The Oar Steak and Seafood Grill
Casual waterfront dining right on the docks of the Patchogue River, The Oar serves up fresh and delicious steaks and seafood. Chefs prepare specialties like coconut shrimp, 36 oz sizzling prime porterhouse, lobster quesadillas and fresh Bluepoint oysters and little clams which are delivered daily. Two dining rooms are decorated in traditional nautical style. The front wall in made up of French doors that open onto the water, providing dockside open air seating in warm months and picturesque views of the marina year-round. The rear dining room is elegant with raise panel mahogany, white table clothes and blue and white nautical stripe wall paper. We look forward to accommodating your special occasion in the separate catering room. The restaurant stocks full indoor and outdoor bars so you'll never miss a beautiful night at this fun and entertaining spot.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Oar Steak and Seafood Grill - Best Restaurants in Patchogue ›
The Oar Steak and Seafood Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (43)scenic view (35)great for lunch (25)special occasion (17)good for groups (17)neighborhood gem (16)great for brunch (16)vibrant bar scene (12)romantic (10)hot spot (7)fit for foodies (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (1)Show More
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/24/2014The staff is always the nicest, had a great time with family.. The food is always good. But a bit on the pricey side..the oyster rocker fellow is delicious ,and don't forget the coconut shrimp..Special Features:
- Just OkaySchmammaDined on 8/20/2014Came for a special occasion. Ordered the fried calamari. Must say it was disappointing. The entree was pretty good but the appetizer set the tone. Had to ask for bread halfway through the meal when I noticed other tables had. Overall, although the menu looked interesting, it wasn't worth a 30 minute drive.
- NitlionDined on 8/13/2014The Oar was a great place for an outdoor summer dinner. Food was excellent and the service was great. I can highly recommend the Oar !Special Features:
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2014Went out for special anniversary. Good food. Attentive waitressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor diningNY2FLGormieDined on 8/8/2014Open Table was a great way to book this outdoor dining gem on the south shore of Long Island. We were seated right away, some without reservations had 40 minute wait because it was a lovely summer day. The wait staff were courteous and attentive, the food delicious, the view wonderful. Sh...don't tell too many people about this place, it's hard to get a seat without Open Table on your side!Special Features:
- A pleasure.ThoughtforFoodDined on 8/7/2014Took my out of town visiting family here for lunch. Lovely view, fresh food, reasonable pricing.Special Features:
- Great place!Dee2014Dined on 8/4/2014Went here for a night out with the girls and we weren't disappointed. Had a table outside with a lovely view, the service was great, and the food delicious!Special Features:
- YummyRhea58VIPDined on 8/1/2014This popular resto always serves good food w/personable waitstaff & bartendress. We shared an order of clams casino & the lobster roll sandwich was chock full -- and not with filler as many restos do. One should make a reserv during the summer as folks were trying to get a table on a Friday. During the cooler months I always order their fabulous soups...really good.Special Features:
- winter opr SummerAlR1941Dined on 7/30/2014We have been to the OAR many times over the years usually without a reservation. We thoroughly enjoy the 'buck a shuck" oysters at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love the Oar!BethzVIPDined on 7/28/2014This is a great place to eat. Sitting on the water, eating great food with a nice drink. Life is good at the Oar!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/26/2014Always a great time . The staff is great . The food always good..Special Features:
- Water ViewjoyfulVIPDined on 7/22/2014Dined for lunch here mid-week. In spite of being over an hour early for our reservation, we were seated within 20 minutes. The staff is friendly and menu knowledgeable. My husband had the soft=shell crab sandwich, a first for him. Lightly breaded and fried. He enjoyed it. I had the mako shark sandwich. It was delicious as was the white sangria. We were seated right by the railing overlooking the water and many boats. We were not rushed. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at The Oar!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2014We celebrated our 30th anniversary with a quiet dinner for two, we had never been here before as we live on north shore and frequent more restaurants in that area. Have heard about The Oar and finally decided to try some place new. Everything was wonderful, food delicious! I had the Chilean Sea Bass and my husband had the Horseradish encrusted Mako, both excellent. Maybe a tad too much coconut on the shrimp appetizer but still good. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehhBeachbabyDined on 7/13/2014Food was very overpriced- salad soggy and coconut shrimp was cloyyingly sweet and the topping kind of stale tastingSpecial Features:
- Family LunchEd123Dined on 7/12/2014Son was in from CA with spouse and they wanted to go to a restaurant on the water. When I made reservations (for 6) I ask for outside table on water, I did get outside table but it was in a side area not exactly on the water. Food was good for lunch but service was a little slow. I have been to the Oar for dinner and enjoyed, overall lunch was just good.Special Features:
- nelle53VIPDined on 7/6/2014It was a beautiful summer evening... the food was great. It was the perfect ending to a perfect weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungryDined on 6/21/2014If you want good food and a livley bar sceen and a water view then this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HarryVIPDined on 6/15/2014We dined on Father's Day. Party of eight. We were warned by the car attendants that there might be a one hour wait for a table. When we got to the hostess station we were informed that our table was waiting - thanks to an Open Table reservation! Food and service were excellent. We stayed for two hours plus without being rushed at all.Special Features:
- favorite place to eatpvlun4Dined on 6/15/2014Been coming to the Oar for a few years. Food is outstanding. Never disappointed. Service wais one if the best. Or server Bridget was fast. Definitely it favorite place to eat. Prices are very good, food even beret!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waterside dining.davroberDined on 6/12/2014Food is always good , shrimp and scallops very good , summer menu will be panko scallops san shrimp but also very good. Service is good but you will wait a bit longer than you are used to for the food which is always fresh and well prepared. Having gone here many times the outside dining is nice by the canal , the bar is excellent so expecting it to take awhile to get the food has become normal and expected for us. We go here a lot in the spring summer and fall. Staff is friendly and courteous. Price is decent , if you don't drink its about 60 bucks for 2 people , a little more with a drink or wine.Special Features:
- Great place to eat!JimJamDined on 6/8/2014We enjoyed a nice BD dinner out with the whole family. Pleased to see a kid's menu, too. We all loved out seafood dishes. The service was very nice and accommodating. We particularly enjoyed the view from the their deck of all the boats that were docked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Oar Steak and Seafood Grillmoi18Dined on 6/3/2014We were a party of 4 and we all had very good meals. Each seafood dish was flavored perfectly and the duck was delicious. We definitely will go back again for another dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Using Open Table saved us!crobertsDined on 6/1/2014We have eaten at this restaurant in the past. They do NOT take reservations on the weekends, its first come, first serve. When pulling in, valet told us wait would be well over an hour. After speaking with the hostess, we had our table waiting because of Open Table. We usually only eat here for a special night with friends as it can be a bit pricey. We feel it is more of a outdoor bar/restaurant and we prefer not to bring our children. But an amazing place for date night or adult night with friends!! Great ambience, drinks & food! Still one of our favs!Special Features:
- Could have been betterDinerVIPDined on 6/1/2014The outdoor bar scene and music were loud so we chose to sit inside but the VERY LOUD table of revelers adjacent to us made conversation nearly impossible. While servers actually apologized to us several times, no one ever approached the group to ask them to just tone it down a bit. Everyone around us was disturbed by their noise, so the good food was kind of overshadowed and made less enjoyable.Special Features:
- "Horrible Service"OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014By far the worst service I have had. It took our sever 25 mins to come and greet us. After finally getting our drinks and appetizers when we need it refills I had to go to the bar to get them my self. Never received my napkins I had asked for. Yes I did have to get up my self and get them from the hostess stand. The FOOD was absolutely delicious though and place is beautiful. Just wish my service was a better experience. I might give it a try again just for the delicious food and beautiful place. The server unfortunately did receive only 5% tip of the bill. He did not deserve it.Special Features:
- Food is good, service is POOR!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014Despite having reservation still waited 40 minutes to be seated. Was ignored for at least 15 minutes once seated! Food is good but service terrible.
- AmazingAAAPlusVIPDined on 5/17/2014It is amazingly relaxing yet fun. The food and drinks are as always amazing. And our server Nicole was as always professional yet friendly, pleasant, funny and extremely attentive and efficient!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- made up for a misseatinoutDined on 5/15/2014I ordered the tilapia suffered with scallop and crab meat for lunch. Some how they brought the fish dish to the table without the stuffing. As i began to eat it i felt that there was something missing. A asked the waitress if that was the dish with the stuffing? She apologized and took it back and brought me the dish i order. And offered a complimentary cocktail which of course i accepted with pleasure. The dish was fabulous. And for dessert i ordered a fried banana and Carmel ice cream dish, which was out of this world. The combination of the warm fried banana and the cold ice cream plays a delicious game in your mouth as you eat it. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 269 reviews are from the The Oar Steak and Seafood Grill reviews archive.
- Good streak and seafood with view.MastershakeDined on 4/25/2014Excellent steak, seafood and a wide variety of desserts. I recommend the bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy near the barOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/21/2014We went for a quiet dinner. We were seated to the area to the right of the bar. It was a little noisy as it was a busy night. Waitresses seemed stressed and overworked, so service was not the best. Food was very good, as expected.Special Features:
- Good time had by all!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/21/2014The service, food, and setting are terrific for group events. Thanks!Special Features:
- The Oar has ImprovedCookieMonsterDined on 4/5/2014It is nice to see an updated menu with lots of fish and interesting accompaniments. However, the sizzling steak for 2 they serve is ridiculous - it fills the room with smoke and is very off-putting. that should only be served outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful birthday dinner!marieDined on 4/5/2014The waitress made our dining experience outstanding, and the food was terrific! Making the reservation online was easy and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemcmgparsonsVIPDined on 4/2/2014Clearly the chef knows what he/she is doing....the plates that come out are beautiful, creative, & delicious! The space is extremely tight & noisy, but the food is delicious! The skillet mussels is a creative dish....never seen it before. Anxiously waiting for warm weather when dining on the dock is fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great finddep01Dined on 3/28/2014Tried Oak for an Anniversary dinner - it was a lively place a little louder than initially expected. BUT the filet was spectacular! We have traveled the country quite a bit and we have to say this was the BEST filet we have ever had. We are steak people and are very discriminating - we were not disappointed. We definitely will be back. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant on Long IslandawsjackieVIPDined on 3/7/2014I know that sounds a little exaggerated but my husband and I always go out to eat, I mean like every night and we've been to so many restaurants. The Oar has never let us down. Winter or summer, the food is always great and if you want them to do something different (always dieting in the winter) they always accommodate you. The atmosphere is always so lively and fun and the owner always makes his rounds and makes you feel like a friend. The only disappointment is trying to get a table in the summer time. Everyone wants to be there so we either go early or much later. Its a great restaurant, give it try and you'll become a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local RestaurantDottieDined on 3/1/2014Fun place, great location & view of the marina & always attentive courteous staff! Not to mention above average food.Special Features:
- The Tuna Tartar was the best.DebraJeanFoodieDined on 2/9/2014The Tuna Tartar was the best. Chunks of Tuna and Avocado mixed together. Loved it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebration for GrandmaLojoLuvsRosaVIPDined on 2/8/2014We took my BF's mom to the Oar for her birthday. She was craving seafood and ordered the sea bass while her son (my BF) ordered the Mako special. I opted for lamb chops, because I always get lamb chops. All three entrees were delicious, well-prepared and beautifully presented. Service was great and substitutions (like rice instead of wasabi mashed potatoes) were graciously honored with nary a smirk. We live 10 minutes from the Oar, and while I've been there a couple of times, neither of my dinner guests had. They were appropriately impressed and I know we'll be back, probably many times. Well done, Oar! (By the way, the pre-dinner cocktails were mmmmmm - yummy.)Special Features:
- I've been to the Oar beforerbatts1VIPDined on 1/11/2014I've been to the Oar before and it was wonderful, so this time I returned with old friends and they loved it! They wanted to know how did you find this place?? Not only was the food & drinks delicious, and the service great but there was a jazz band for dinner! Pure Gold! It's tucked away in Patchogue.Special Features: