The Oar House
55 Ceres St.
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Oar House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.portsmouthoarhouse.com/
- Phone: 6034364025x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ray Guerin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: We feature live piano music inside Thursdays thru Saturdays.
A word from The Oar House
Located in the historic "Merchant's Row" building at the edge of Portsmouth's old harbor, The Oar House serves fine food in a setting filled with mementos of the city's long and proud maritime heritage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Oar House - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
The Oar House reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)great for outdoor dining (23)scenic view (23)romantic (21)neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (21)good for groups (17)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (10)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014Our group of nine had a wonderful time---great food, wine and service.Special Features:
- MaryDined on 10/11/2014Food was very good and so was the service. Love the ambiance of the Oar HouseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Oar house is great for a special occasion. It's $$$$ pricey. But the food is great. Our service was outstanding. Our waiter was hysterical and really made our night. We felt like guests in his home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all aroundBigjohnDined on 10/10/2014Ceres street, where this restaurant is located, has no street parking and no close by parking garage so the first pleasant surprise was the valet parking. The ambiance is very pleasant and the rooms are quiet so conversation is pleasant. The food was outstanding. two of us had the seafod and puff pastry. The seafood was cooked perfectly and included a small lobster tail, shrimp and scallops and the sauce was outstanding. Our waitress was also very good. All in all, an excellent evening and meal.Special Features:
- Excellent food and valueFootballRefDined on 10/10/2014We had a group of 10 and where put upstairs, lots of room and food was great, had a few specials on the menu, I had the seafood portofino and it was spectacular!! Many ha the lobster mac which they claimed was to die forSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerHappy25thDined on 9/27/2014We ate on the deck overlooking the harbor on an unusually warm late September evening - it was magical! Our meal was very good (the filet was outstanding, the seafood very good), the wine list more than adequate, and our server was outstanding. I lost one of my favorite bracelets that evening, and could not believe it was in the lost in found when I enquired the next day!!! An outstanding restaurant all around!Special Features:
- WonderfulKnovaDined on 9/26/2014Our server Karen was so much fun. We loved her! The food was incredible. We went there on a whim and we couldn't have picked a better place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seaside GemsuppperVIPDined on 9/26/2014Oar House is a Portsmouth institution. Located on the water in an historic wharf, it has inside, bar and outside dining. We ate in the bar on a busy Friday night. Our server was new but did a good job. The food was outstanding. We had boulibsaise and seafood stuffed in puff pastry. Wine list was extensive in all price points but the by the glass offerings was limited. The caprise salad was enough for 2 to share. Music on Friday &Saturday nights. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemMariaVIPDined on 9/17/2014On vacation and found this restaurant. Food and service was great. Atmosphere was really nice. In a historic building.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Had the baked stuffed lobster and was very disappointed. The seafood stuffing lack seafood and tasted weird not enjoyable at all. On the upside our waiter was awesome!Special Features:
- Enjoyable Dinner EveningRickinNHDined on 9/13/2014The food and the services were both excellent. We were disappointed to hear that our favorite appetizer, baked brie with crackers and fruit, was no longer available as it was a specialty of the former chef and not the current chef, but were very satisfied with the chowders that we ordered for appetizers. The meal we had was very well prepared and was served extremely hot, which was a welcome surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotmcw117Dined on 9/6/2014In the Portsmouth area to meet my son for lunch. Great location and great food. My son couldn't get enough of the bruschetta. He says it is the best he has ever had.Special Features:
- Superb!greatDined on 8/30/2014EXCELLENT! Our server attended 15 people with ease. She was wonderful and did a fantastic job. We had people from 9 years old to 91 and she met every need. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/26/2014ordered salads as appetizers, and they were huge and great. Guess I would like to know this beforehand. Haddock was very good; fried oysters were delicious; we were the only diners sitting inside.Special Features:
- FAMILY GET TOGETHERfoodiesgaloreDined on 8/24/2014We had reservations for a large party, surprisingly when we got there our table was not ready but that was not a problem since we were waiting on a few people. We were seated in a room by ourselves. The waiter came for our drink order and only a few of us ordered drinks but some said not NOW. When we finally ordered we were expecting the waiter to ask if anyone else wanted something to drink but he did not. Our meals did not come out all at once but at least within a reasonable time frame ( that has never happened to us before). Everyone was happy with our food, water glasses were often empty although he did refill a few of times,often the waiter will just leave a pitcher for us. We usually have a much better rapport with the waiter.Special Features:
- Expensive great food and viewGreasedShadowDined on 8/19/2014Food was notable and the river view seating is terrific but this was among the most expensive meals I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/19/2014Lobster rolls were great. Patio table with river views on a perfect summer day.Special Features:
- ParkingDate2Dined on 8/15/2014Valet parking was quick and convienent. The service was excellent and the food was quickly brought to us. I was running a bit late and the hostess was gracious enough to comply with a later timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Everything was great. We had a party of 7, and everyone was very pleased.Special Features:
- overpriced and water obsessedentuDined on 8/1/2014The waiter was slow and dumb, he was more interested in pouring water in our glasses when we need no refill then bringing food and answer questions. Food is totally overpriced, tasted like fast food. No kids friendly cups. Interior was nice and a parking lot guy was very polite, though. Location is good, as well.Special Features:
- Great AmbienceCiciDined on 8/1/2014We had a group of nine for dinner. Dinner was delicious and service was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still First RateRudynhDined on 7/27/2014The Oar House has been our favorite restaurant for many years. The food and service are first rate. Unlike many new restaurants, the noise level is such that you can hold a conversation. For a great evening you can't beat an evening at the Oar House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Sunday brunchTimboDined on 7/27/2014My wife and I attended Sunday brunch a few weeks ago. We arrived on the earlier side (around 10:30) and the outdoor seating was empty aside from one table. We were seated at a table overlooking the water, and our waitress was prompt and attentive. The brunch menu is a little limited, but the quality of the food and service were both excellent (I had the eggs benedict, and my wife had the French toast). This is a great spot to bring out-of-town guests to capture the essence and beauty of Portsmouth, being right downtown on the water and providing one of the best views of the city. Plenty of things to do in the area before and after brunch as well. We definitely will be coming back in the future, and bringing guests.Special Features:
- A must in Portsmouth!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Jaye provided fantastic service, the food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60th Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Reservation made for the main restaurant. Waited for host to appear. Never did. Very disturbing! Went inside. Approached bartender busily chatting away with customer, did not notice me. More disturbing! Finally noticed! Called in for someone. Two people came. suggested I go to outside terrace. It was unsettling! Did not coincide with my expectations. I gave it a try. I would've preferred and been happier if I was greeted by a host and taken to dine inside the restaurant. After all, I was celebrating my 60th birthday! The two individuals that suggested my sitting elsewhere made me feel unwelcome. Too tired. I settled to stay at the terrace. I will have to reconsider making any future plans to dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was as fantastic as the serverSeafoodie603Dined on 7/5/2014Had a wonderful meal at the Oar house deck! We were not rushed and the meal was fantastic! Will defiantly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Our party of 6 received a wide variety of meals from this restaurant. Some of the plates were full of fresh seafood while others were very small. I thought the price was high, but if you average out everyone's experience it was pretty good.
- Great outdoor dining!kaybeeVIPDined on 7/5/2014This was my first time at The Oar House and it was just perfect! The weather was beautiful so we ate outside and were seated immediately. Everything was delicious. I ordered to Oar House seafood dish which had shrimp, haddock and scallops in a lobster sauce. My fiancé had the pork tenderloin that was topped with a grilled pineapple salsa. Both dishes were well presented and outstanding. I was on vacation at the time and don't live in the area, so I probably won't be back for a while but I wish I could! PS - they also have valet parking since finding a spot in the middle of summer is practically impossible - so that was a plus!Special Features:
- Won't be going backjeffreyhDined on 6/30/2014For the price point the menu selections were good but they screwed our order up and blamed it on training the kitchen staff.....no apologies, comps, nothing. Very unprofessional.
- The following 408 reviews are from the The Oar House reviews archive.
- Doesn't know what it wants to bePortsmouthDined on 6/19/2014I believe the menu on the deck is trying to appeal to the masses. The restaurant doesn't seem to have an identity. Three in our party had bad stomach aches within a few hours of our meal. My sandwich had no flavor. I was disappointed. I don't think I will be back.Special Features:
- Not your father's Oar HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014Still the cool historic location with great service. Food is very high quality. I had the duck breast and it was cooked to perfection. As good as any I have had in France. Steak Au Poivre was amazing. Vegetarian green curry also one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanVIPDined on 6/13/2014We were so happy to find a nice restaurant that has excellent food and atmosphere but is also kid friendly. Often times, unless you are going to a pizza place or chain restaurant, you are treated like a nuisance for bringing children.The staff here made us all feel welcome and comfortable. The food is out of this world and the valet was wonderful as well!Special Features:
- Nice outdoor spot!BirthdayDined on 6/10/2014We had the lobster and chicken salad sandwiches and they were very good.Special Features:
- Ambience & AppetiteFourFriendsDined on 6/7/2014I recently enjoyed a nice meal with 3 friends at the Oar House on a Saturday night. The food was very good. The service was charming and attentive. Half way through our meal we enjoyed guitar music. The Oar House has an old world kind of ambience. I liked that it wasn't loud and that I could enjoy thoughtful conversations with my friends. The meals were a little pricey but the quality more than made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day Dinner. Though we had requested out door seating, it wasn't available do to inadequate staffing. We were slightly disappointed by that since we picked it based on the outdoor seating to keep my 3 year old happy. My husband ended up taking him outside to look at the boats until our food arrived. Other than that everything was amazing! The staff was great and the food was absolutely delicious! Everyone left happy and full.Special Features:
- Perfect Date Night Find!!TamieLVIPDined on 5/10/2014The historical setting of this restaurant coupled with the intimacy of the setting made it a great place for date night. Everything we had was cooked to perfection and tastefully presented. I have to say the scallops wrapped in bacon could of been the only thing I ate and I would of been more than satisfied. Our service was exemplary with the wait staff checking to make sure that we had everything we needed. I would definitely be returning here in the future to try more of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieDined on 5/5/2014European friends visit once a year and we have made it a tradition to go to The Oar House. We always have a wonderful visit, never feel rushed and when they left, they asked if we could repeat the experience again next year.Special Features:
- Expensive boring platesharvestmoonDined on 5/4/2014As one of the oldest restaurants in Portsmouth, the Oar House is surviving by its name. A recent dinner there was unappetizing and expensive. My Caesar salad was very soggy. My steak-au-poivre,while cooked the way I like it, was too big and unappealing, served with bland potatoes au gratin. My dining partner's pork was overlooked and dried out. Glasses of wine were $10.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014Whenever I come to Portsmouth I like to eat here as it's off the beaten path a little bit. The food is always goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Memorable Mealgreekboy51Dined on 4/26/2014Each time we visit The Oar House we come away wondering why we don't do it more often The food is always great and the staff is always very attentive, but not overbearing. Can't wait to go back!Special Features: