The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
2741 West 4 Ave
Vancouver, BC V6K 1P9Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theoakwood.ca/
- Phone: (604) 558-1965
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Late
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:45pm (first come seating policy for brunch)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Canadian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Murphy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro, a casual neighbourhood room specializing in down-to-earth Canadian fare. The Oakwood Canadian Bistro's food philosophy is focused on fresh, house-made dishes crafted from locally sourced products. The seasonally changing menu caters to market availability and the sustainability of the products. All meats are organic, local and free of hormones and antibiotics, while the seafood is sustainable, seasonal and Ocean Wise certified. From the breads and pastas to the butchery and sauces, all products are made in-house with quality and consistency.The Oakwood Canadian Bistro serves fresh, honest food in a casual neighbourhood environment. This modest Kitsilano room encourages diners to gather around the central communal table with old and new friends, sip wine and BC craft beers or one of their classic cocktails and linger over one of Chef Ryan Murphy's seasonally driven dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro - Best Restaurants in Kitsilano ›
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (124)neighborhood gem (108)special occasion (61)good for groups (56)hot spot (51)romantic (49)late-night find (22)great for brunch (19)notable wine list (18)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (14)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014Both the tuna and the duck were delicious and beautifully presented; the halibut was fine but ordinary. I love the concept of the "tasting menu" with small portions at the top and larger portions lower down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Anon123456Dined on 11/20/2014One word - excellent. If it is your first time, get the seared tuna with sesame snow and duck breast. These 2 dishes really shows how good the chefs are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch but expect to waitMorleycatDined on 11/16/2014We had a fantastic brunch at the Oakwood. Great food and our server was awesome. However I had made a reservation for 11:00am and when we arrived we were told there would be a short wait . After about 10 minutes of waiting the same hostess asked me my name again and looked confused when I told her and mentioned I had a reservation. She then told me they didn't take reservations for brunch and there must have been some glitch in the system when we booked it through open table but that they would honour it. We were seated shortly after. It wasn't a big deal to wait 10-15 minutes but as good as brunch was I wouldn't go there without a reservation. The table of 4 next to us said they had waited 45 minutes. So if you're ok with a wait I'd recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSlimlizzyDined on 11/15/2014Went for an early dinner before an event. Hostess and service made note of this and ensured food and drinks were bright out in a timely manner. Great recommendations and very friendly service. Will absolutely return. The scallops were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, hit and miss on the dishes orderedTasteeFreezeDined on 11/12/2014Ambience and service were good and 2 of the four dishes we ordered were delcious; however, the kale and something salad tasted like burnt oil and the dessert was only okay. We remarked on the bad taste of the kale salad and the dish was removed, but we were charged for it anyway. We are not likely to return based on this experience.
- this place carescecileDined on 11/9/2014We had excellent service and creative delicious food here - our second time of enjoying this spot. We particularly enjoyed the tuna and scallop dishes but everything - including the fries were really well prepared. The servers definitely were interested in us having a good dining experience and we did! The kitchen is way better than you would expect for a small neighbourhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Kits gemtekgurlDined on 11/9/2014The Oakwood doesn't look like much for the outside but inside it's lovely- intimate and cozy. The food is delicious with a surprising blend of flavors and the service is friendly and conscientious. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food experience!FlavcrazDined on 11/6/2014Amazing Canadian cuisine with the unique experience of sharing. Each course was fabulous. Combinations of ingredients and flavours made us wanting more. All 4 dishes oredered were so delicious - pulled pork pancake, warm kale salad, halibut and the incredible duck breast. Service was excellent! Ambiance great. This is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful tastesworktravelerDined on 11/6/2014We went with a group of 4. We ordered 5 dishes to share. Each dish was presented and all ingredients re-identified. As we tasted each dish, everything was wonderful and the flavors all complimented everything else within the dish. The burning barrel cocktail was a nice table show being assembled as well a great tasting cocktail. This was my 2nd visit and every cocktail and dish has been an awesome experience. Desserts have all been excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Oakwood Canadian BistroJustamorselDined on 10/30/2014The Oakwood Bistro has some great flavours. The servers are friendly and helpful. The food portions were on the smaller side and not enough for sharing which is what their concept sells. But all in all, food was decent.Special Features:
- West side foodieColetteCDined on 10/30/2014My wife and I love to find a little gem and Oakwood is one of them. Essentially a tapas resto with a distinctly Canadian flavour. Warm kale salad was fantastic, as were the pulled pork crepes and mussels in a Thai inspired sauce. Don't drink much from the terrific wine selection and a meal for two can be had for $100 or soSpecial Features:
- Just right.....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2014The only challenge with doing a review of this great little foodie restaurant is that it's already difficult to get in - yet another good review will make it that much harder! Small but sufficient, sequential, shareable, creative dishes prepared with great care and served with a smile. An Owner who is very present but not intrusive and happy to share his passion for the locally sourced everything (including the decor). Vancouver at it's best - unpretentious, happy, local and simply great food and promoting the best of BC wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One week makes a differenceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014I visited the Oakwood twice in a 10 day period, i was disappointed on the first visit, the food was good but not as stellar as it had been in previous occasions. Well i guess they may have just had an off night because the food we had on our most recent visit was fabulous. We shared the balsamic, pork fat olives, bison carpaccio, halibut, warm kale salad, pork meat balls and the seasonal pumpkin mousse dessert, all were delicious and worth ordering a second time.Special Features:
- One of the best meals I've had...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Everything was stellar, each course was an adventure of flavours that left our entire group wanting more. The desserts were fabulous, a great way to cap off an amazing experience. Loved the ambiance - decor, light, music...everything had a tasteful Canadian flare. Will definitely be back and would highly recommend.Special Features:
- table of 4happyDined on 10/25/2014We went for an early meal at 6 PM because we were going to a show at the Chan Centre. The service was great - very attentive and kept an eye on the clock. We left at 7:30 tummies full and happy. The four of us shared all items along with a nice bottle of Italian wine. All plates were presented beautifully and tasted delightful. A great way to start our evening!Special Features:
- Slipped a notchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014I have dined at Oakwood 4 times, the most recent was Oct 22. All previous meals i had there were over the top GREAT and everyone loved and raved about the food. The menu we had this week is new, and i think the kitchen has yet to perfect them. The warm kale salad, bison carpaccio and the desserts were fab, the other dishes were good (lobster, pulled pork, mussels) but not exceptional or memorable like meals i have had there in the past. I hope they step it up, i am supposed to dine there again next week.Special Features:
- Outstanding!ScoobDined on 10/16/2014Hey Food Lovers, You have to go to The Oakwood Canadian Bistro. It's truly a gem. Fantastic food and great service. See you there. Bon appétit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent serviceAdventurerLindaDined on 10/15/2014My husband and I made a reservation before an evening out to the Theatre. We had to be out by a certain time. The restaurant and the staff were well awared and always made sure we were still on schedule. The food was better that I Had extected from a bistro and the decor very warm. We definitely would go back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, easy environmentcrcyvrDined on 10/11/2014We just munched our way through the evening. Ask your server to surprise you with a cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulDined on 10/9/2014We made a reservation for 8pm on a Thursday, but weren't seated until almost 8:30pm. I wasn't impressed. The food was good and different. I took a girl here on a date and it was extremely awkward to stand in your tiny lounge area for 20 minutes. A waitress called us and took us in toward a table, but we were actually cut off by another waitress who took another two girls to a table-for-two. Our waitress apologized and moved us over to two seats at the bar where we waited another 5 minutes for a different table to open up. Once we were seated, things went smooth and food was good.Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerAKE1VIPDined on 10/9/2014A friend suggested this restaurant and she did not let us down. Food and drinks were amazing and the service was outstanding. We celebrated a family members birthday here and they made it extra special! Great way to start off our vacation in VancouverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continued casual charmwinecountrywayfarerDined on 10/8/2014Three diners with discerning palates recently descended on the Oakwood Bistro - a first visit for one, but return visits for the others. The ever-evolving seasonal menu continues to be a delight; the complex interplay of diverse flavours is never jarring, even with the random arrival times of each dish. The warm kale salad was perfect for an autumn evening, as was the pulled pork on miso pancake. Nice crowded-restaurant vibe, with lots of noise and happy faces. Good wine list selection with not bad pricing. I really like the concept of share plates, and their price points are reasonable too. This restaurant remains on my list of "must go" neighbourhood spots for Vancouver visits.Special Features:
- The Oakwood Canadian BistroFlowerboyDined on 10/8/2014This restaurant was recommended to me by one of the cities top concierge as one of his favourites and I can see why. The produce and other ingredients are delivered fresh from the farm daily and on your plate that night. It was slightly nastalgic as we reminisced about how much fresher things tasted when picked ripe out of the garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday goodnesskwoody1200Dined on 10/4/2014Excellent food, even better drinks, fantastic service. A great place to celebrate a birthday. The staff was very accommodating and helpful. This is one of the BEST places in Vancouver, hands down.Special Features:
- Something specialVancouverfanDined on 10/2/2014The food is fabulous, so are the waiters. I had my 50th birthday here with some good friends. I never regretted that I chose this spot. Highly recommended for a special occasion, when you want to eat special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first experience but not my lastbmarieVIPDined on 10/1/2014I loved the Oakwood! I reserved a table for four. We started with some cocktails, followed by shared family style plates of food, and wine. The ambiance was great and the food and service were terrific. I'll definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing but a touch pricy for sizeIndofoodieDined on 10/1/2014Pretty much my title says it all. Amazing food and incredible poutine! All I would say is that it's great to share multiple things but it does add up quite fast. Maybe if it was a touch more affordable I would go more often. But other than that it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbourhood Gemlove2eatDined on 9/25/2014We really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of this restaurant and its inventive food in our neighbourhood. The service was excellent and the food and presentation were outstanding. This restaurant recommends sharing the dishes which makes it all the more fun. We had mussels in coconut broth, braised beef cheeks, pulled pork on miso pancakes, roast duck breast with sunchoke agnolotti and Canadian poutine with brisket. We also left room for two desserts that the four of us shared. Everything was awesome.Special Features:
- great food!luv2dineDined on 9/23/2014Been back many times and this place never disappoints! Their menus change with the season and everything is cooked to perfection. Highly recommended for dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!iheartbutterandcreamDined on 9/20/2014The food was incredible, our server Candice was so pro and lovely . Atmosphere was romantic and decor beautiful .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing GemUWStudentDined on 9/20/2014My BF and I traveled to Vancouver for the first time and found this restaurant on Yelp. Make sure to make reservations at least a day in advance if you're planning on a weekend because we made dinner plans day of and could only get 5PM or 9PM! One thing to note is that the dishes are meant to be shared and come as they are prepared. The restaurant was cute, clean and well decorated. It felt very comfortable and the music was perfect. Then the food was absolutely amazing, we had the halibut and lobster tail and they were prepared in unique and fresh ways. The dessert was wonderful as well and everything was portioned wonderfully. I would definitely recommend and will be returning next time I'm in Vancouver!Special Features:
- Fantastic again!DelaynomoreDined on 9/19/2014Our third time there and the food was fantastic. The service was better than many fine dining establishments and restaurants that costs 3 times as much. Have not disappointed us yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/13/2014The food was really good and so were the drinks. Service was friendly and attentive. Highly recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's birthdayComfortableCamDined on 9/11/2014Took my mother here for her birthday, it was incredible. Everything was good, the halibut and duck confit were highlights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaladdinerDined on 9/10/2014The kale salad was the best I have ever eaten. Flatiron steak was perfectly cooked and the presentation was creative visually.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service & ambianceTrixieDined on 9/7/2014The food was good. The serving portions varied, some had good serving sizes, some not enough. The lobster serving was too small. Over all the ambiance and service was really good. The mussels have a great value for moneySpecial Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedjoleiDined on 9/2/2014It was the first visit for our little group of three and we were pleasantly surprised. They've crammed a lot of tables into a little space (read: not much privacy) but the décor and lighting were great. Menu is a little limited if you're a vegetarian - good thing we're not. Between the three of us, we ordered six dishes: bison carpaccio, rabbit rillette, warm kale salad (amazing), halibut (wished the lentil base was creamier), duck thigh (OMG amazingly tender and flavourful) and Cdn poutine (the brisket on top, however fragrant it was, was a bit too sweet for me). Great BC wine list too. Only downside aside from noise and feeling a tad crowded, was that the server never introduced himself and was a bit ostentatious for our liking.Special Features:
- Fantastic EveningjjtucciDined on 8/31/2014We entertained good friends from London, England at The Oakwood and they were impressed by the atmosphere and the excellent food. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inspired kitchencecileDined on 8/27/2014We loved this place - a bit noisey and it was packed but a wonderful experience. The food is superb - really - for a place of this size and location - it is exceptional. Service was friendly and good - we enjoyed the beer selection and the food was terrific. Rigatoni in sorrel sauce, lobster tail, roast duck with chestnut ravioli - what a delicious meal. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- I'll be backJulesDined on 8/27/2014Love the food, décor and service. the poutine with brisket was lovely, kale salad outstanding ~ the rillette fantastic. The service was great, wine list adequate & cocktails different and deelish..Special Features: