The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
2741 West 4 Ave
Vancouver, BC V6K 1P9Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theoakwood.ca/
- Phone: 6045581965x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Late
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:45pm (first come seating policy for brunch)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Canadian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Robbins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro, a casual neighbourhood room specializing in down-to-earth Canadian fare. The Oakwood Canadian Bistro's food philosophy is focused on fresh, house-made dishes crafted from locally sourced products. The seasonally changing menu caters to market availability and the sustainability of the products. All meats are organic, local and free of hormones and antibiotics, while the seafood is sustainable, seasonal and Ocean Wise certified. From the breads and pastas to the butchery and sauces, all products are made in-house with quality and consistency.The Oakwood Canadian Bistro serves fresh, honest food in a casual neighbourhood environment. This modest Kitsilano room encourages diners to gather around the central communal table with old and new friends, sip wine and BC craft beers or one of their classic cocktails and linger over one of Chef Michael Robbins' seasonally driven dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro - Best Restaurants in Kitsilano ›
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (78)special occasion (52)good for groups (39)romantic (30)hot spot (28)great for brunch (23)great for outdoor dining (18)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (12)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- inspired kitchencecileDined on 8/27/2014We loved this place - a bit noisey and it was packed but a wonderful experience. The food is superb - really - for a place of this size and location - it is exceptional. Service was friendly and good - we enjoyed the beer selection and the food was terrific. Rigatoni in sorrel sauce, lobster tail, roast duck with chestnut ravioli - what a delicious meal. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- I'll be backJulesDined on 8/27/2014Love the food, décor and service. the poutine with brisket was lovely, kale salad outstanding ~ the rillette fantastic. The service was great, wine list adequate & cocktails different and deelish..Special Features:
- Great foodonecrazycupcakeDined on 8/26/2014Loved the food, especially the warm kale salad and rigatoni. Good service. Overall a very pleasant experience. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- still a gemrationalNumberDined on 8/15/2014We were so impressed the first time, we went back two days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemrationalNumberDined on 8/13/2014Great comfort food. Happy diners make a happy noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but lukewarm temperatureeateateatDined on 8/12/2014We really enjoyed this place and the food was very tasty, however, the food was also lukewarm.. We ordered the brisket poutine, confit duck, and the mussels, everything was delicious although it would've been better if the food was warmer. The price is reasonable, be both had a drink and three plates which came to $63 (tax in)!Special Features:
- DinnerBuzzDined on 8/10/2014Fantastic food and service - really enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- Impresses yet againFrankieBDined on 8/9/2014I've been here multiple times, and it's always good eats. That rabbit rillette... oh my goodness. Amazing.Special Features:
- Good place to meet with friendsMMVancouverDined on 8/9/2014After a day of shopping with friends, we stopped at the Oakwood Bistro. Who doesn't love their warm kale salad? (So good.) I tried the Halibut as an entree and found it to be divine. Enjoyed the carrot cake afterward. Appreciated all the recommendations made by our server.Special Features:
- My favorite Vancouver eaterylindsayasDined on 8/5/2014Ever since discovering this fabulous place, I take all of my out of towner foodies here to enjoy the fantastic menu. All items are shared plates, some big some small, with great variety. Most have a slight spin on the norm so you're always delighted and never bored. I would highly recommend this place...be sure to make a reso to avoid disappointment.Special Features:
- What a true delight!SaintCoolDined on 8/3/2014What a great little gem The Oakwood is! When I asked my friend where to eat in Kits, he said emphatically 'The Oakwood. My favourite place in the City'. I hadn't heard of it, so I checked it out online and from the first picture I was impressed. Safe to say, I was super excited to eat there and my anticipation was certainly rewarded! The room is cozy but cool and very inviting. I ordered a tuna dish to open, and the curry duck confit for a main. Both dishes were insanely good. Had a nice glass of Sea Star Siegrebbe that paired flawlessly with the spicy curry. After supper I had cocktail to finish off; the 'Angelica' made with Ungava Gin which was incredibly delicious too and bonus points for using Ungava. Can't wait to come back again!Special Features:
- Amazing!realfoodieDined on 8/1/2014My husband and I went to The Oakwood Bistro for my60th birthday dinner. I am a foodie, and this experience was amazing. The food choices, combinations of flavors and execution were truly some of the best I have tasted in years! So impressed. Our new favorite place hands down.Special Features:
- Worth tryingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Brunch here is great!!! My feelings about dinner are mixed. Our server was fantastic!! Recommendations were spot on. Everything we tried was amazing. But for $300 including tip we all left hungry :( We had 4 appys and 4 mains between 4 people and 2 drinks each. We took to the sharing idea that they propose, but I have to say the only shareable item we all got more then a bite or two of was the mussels. The food was fantastic for what they put on the plate. Very very very pricy for what they give you. I felt embarrassed when the food came because I remcomeded the place to my friends. I suggest a light snack before you go. And a dessert spot for after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flawless ExperienceChrev117Dined on 7/31/2014After eating at the Oakwood, I was very impressed and the restaurant quickly became my favorite. The menu was ambitious as it was appealing. The food was outstanding, with the bison carpaccio blowing me away. Service from Jasmine was fantastic, she was very knowledgeable about the food which is very helpful when trying to decide on such an interesting menu. The feel of the restaurant was great; small, quiet, unique design, and with a menu made to share, I recommend this restaurant to any foodies or people who like to try interesting things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing dessertsBlondieDined on 7/30/2014We have been to the Oakwood a few times and have always loved the food, including the desserts. This visit, the desserts were so disappointing and ridiculously expensive for what you get. They used to have large "mason jar" desserts, a choice of three (3) amazing desserts. This night, we ordered the summer berry curd and it was teeny tiny. The taste was great, but the portion size was super disappointing for the price. We also ordered the fried octopus. Great flavour, tiny portion for what you get. We may have received 10 small strips of octopus. Again, portion size was lacking at this price point.Special Features:
- WOWAvikoDined on 7/25/2014I am not one of those that eat and tell but in this case I had to. We had a reservation for my wife's birthday and waited for no more than 10 minutes before we got a table as our designated table wan't ready. We immediately got two glasses of sparkling wine for the wait which is very impressive as we didn't say anything to anyone.That right there was the first start of a great night.The waitress was great and professional and the food...oh the food. The warm kale salad was great,the burger was amazing and the roast duck breast with chestnut agnolotti(wow) was unbelievable. The Smokin' Barrel was one of the best drinks I had in a while. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014Service was a bit slow but the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Fabulous food, great service. We had a very special meal, although marred by terrible acoustics. Really hard to hear each other speak. Simply too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findYumyumDined on 7/17/2014Looking for a new spot. This one is good. Food is different, very tasty and fresh. Sharing plates was fun. Rib plate and the carrot cake desert was superSpecial Features:
- Innovative menu for FoodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014I have dined 3 times at The Oakwood Bistro and each time has been fantastic. The chef really knows how to create and execute wonderful meals for foodies. The restaurant is very busy and you need to make a reservation well in advance. If you have a sophisticated palate and love to see a creative, innovative menu with dishes that are beautifully presented and absolutely delicious, this is the place for you.Special Features:
- It's an expensive Tapas restaurant!reviewerDined on 7/17/2014This is a Tapas-style restaurant. The portions are tiny and expensive, and come when it is convenient for the restaurant to bring them, not when you want them. If you are sharing everything and you don't mind paying a lot for a little bit of food and you don't have any diet restrictions and the menu appeals to you, this is your place. But if you want a decent sized meal, served at the same time as the others at your table and/or you have diet restrictions, go somewhere else. My principal objection to the restaurant is that they do not make these things clear, either on their web site or on the phone.
- Great food and servicePamWDined on 7/17/2014Fun, unusual cocktails, great sharing dishes. Limited wine list. Try kale salad - fabulous - ribs overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice bistrot in VancouverGringoGFoodieDined on 7/16/2014The service was warming and professional. The food was ample, creative, with Canadian-riffs and absolutely delicious from the first to the last bite. Highly recommended and given the quality not that expensive.Special Features:
- great local eaterysmoothcriminalDined on 7/13/2014Took my date to this restaurant for and we both loved everything about the place. The food was amazing, the service was great, and the ambience was perfect for a romantic date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- need a cancer dietvtak33Dined on 7/11/2014Loved the food and was happy to see some items we could eat. Need a no sugar, only fish or chicken or vegetarian (cancer diet) and found enough to eat might be more difficut next time to find something new. also alchol free beer was appreciated. Dessert was difficult too much sugar....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MargoxoxoMargoxoxoDined on 7/6/2014It was a big birthday for myself and a friend and four ladies had a wonderful boisterous time. Our waiter was perfect anticipating my second dirty martini and making us feel special and well looked after. The food as usual was wonderful and innovating. We had two kale salads and considered a third since it is the best ever. I have also had the steak every time I've been there ... So tender and tasty with that barley no one should miss. Halibut, seared tuna and a little sweet after was all just perfect for is to share. Of course we will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitfoodquesterDined on 7/3/2014I heard lots of positive reviews of this restaurant and I like to support local food, so I booked a table. Our server was down to earth and knowledgeable about the food. We were well cared for. Our first dish was the seared albacore tuna, which we both enjoyed, especially the asian flavoured accompaniment. The fried octopus dish that followed was good, but the octopus was very chewy and lacked flavour. The aioli was also a bit lost on the bottom of the dish. The next dish was the wilted kale salad. The lemony dressing was great and I loved the idea, but it was marred by finding a piece of cardboard it the last few bites. At least it was free! The poutine is nice, but a bit too rich. Our two desserts were plate-licking good!Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceVCreviewsDined on 6/24/2014Service was excellent! Our waitress was extremely knowledgable and proactive during our dinner. On the downside, I found portion size to be extremely small. Some of the choices they suggest to even share are so small in portion size. Although, food does taste great and they have built a very diverse and unique menu. Don't expect much if you're coming to eat here for a full dinner or hungry. You will still leave hungry. Nice decor and ambience in the restaurant, but very noisy. Overall it was ok, but I'd say there still improvement to be made for dinner service. Will have to come by and try brunch in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonWilsonVanDined on 6/22/2014I had heard great things about Oakwood from friends and industry people and finally got to enjoy their food. The poutine with brisket was superb. I've had brisket in Montreal where rue St. Laurent is the home of great brisket and Oakwood is easily their equal. My friend and I shared their hamburger and it too was a cut above any I've had in the city. Service was informed and friendly and made the evening complete. I am a wine guy so I judge every restaurant by its wine list. Oakwood has a good selection of B.C. and world wines that'll suit any taste. Well Done!Special Features:
- BettyboopDined on 6/20/2014A first time for my good friend & I. We both love the food, service was very good. We would definately go back.Special Features:
- SuperbButterflyDined on 6/19/2014Outstanding food, creative, tasty and excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal at the Oakwood!BudgetfoodieDined on 6/12/2014My fiance and I went for dinner at the Oakwood last Thursday, and everything was stellar. Our server was really helpful, suggesting foods and making sure each dish was gluten free for us. And the food itself was excellent. The ambience inside the restaurant is great - a beautiful bar, low lighting. I've already recommended it to friends, and I'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badDebsDined on 6/10/2014All dishes were meant for sharing. The waitress advised us to order 1.5-2 dishes each to share. I didn't enjoy this concept that much, I just wanted to eat the dish that I ordered and not share. But out of the dishes we ordered, the poutine, duck breast and halibut were stand out. The flat iron steak, rabbit, duck confit, fried octopus and mussels were only ok. I don't think I would come back again, maybe just to try brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oakwood DeliversSpongebuddhaDined on 6/8/2014I have been to the Oakwood twice for brunch and twice for dinner. Each dining experience was fantastic. The food is rich, innovative and tasty, the beer selection is great and the service was excellent Great job guys. I hope you have many years of success.Special Features:
- outstanding servicenadipopsDined on 6/6/2014The Oakwood is definitley the place to be! The food is fantastic and the drinks are soooo good. Our server was amazing! My friend and I are both celiac, and she was very helpful and knowledgable and didn't make us feel like an abnormal. It's so difficult for me to explain the issues i have. It makes you feel strange and our server made it so very adaptable. Thank you! It made our evening all that much better!!Special Features:
- Epic mealfoodiechickDined on 6/5/2014This is our second time to the Oakwood and we were not disappointed...Again one of the best meals we've had in Vancouver in a long time!! Must orders: the virgin Mai Tai is amazing...they make their own almond syrup, it has walnut bitters, pineapple juice among other things and is out of this world! The poutine was melt in your mouth delicious, and the peanut butter chocolate mousse....words cannot describe- I savoured every bite and debated about going back the next day just to order that!!! Service was friendly- the bartender even came over personally to describe how he made the drinks and where to purchase the rare ingredients, and the atmosphere had great character....I think I've told everyone I know about this meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OakwoodnickwDined on 6/4/2014Great dishes. Everything was fantastic including great desserts. The flat-iron steak wasn't quite as good as everything else, but was still nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2014I had reserve an open table but was accomodated after 20mins. :(Special Features:
- Burger, kale salad, ambience!foodreviewguyDined on 5/27/2014Great burger and warm kale salad. Really, very tasty. We've been back several times for those. Pleased with several other items on the savoury menu, and happy to see some favourites on the liquor list too! Not huge fans of the deserts however. We tried the trio of mason jar deserts (I think cheese cake, creme brulee and something like a crumble?). They fell flat for us. If a killer fruit sorbet or chocolate dish was offered, we'd love to try those. Also, we've stopped ordering coffee (in the past at least, it's been on the acidic side). All in all though, an enjoyable experience and one we will repeat. Nice ambience, pleasant staff. A good find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzieDined on 5/24/2014the food is fantastic - never been disappointed - love this place:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.