500 4th Avenue
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theoakroomlouisville.com/
- Phone: (502) 807-3463
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm;
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Patrick Roney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Oakroom's rich history, elegance and tradition, along with state-of-the-art modern conveniences, make it one of the country's most desirable and unique venues for meetings, weddings and other events. Guests and local visitors love exploring The Oakroom itself. A history of celebrities and ghosts, early 1900s décor and original murals depicting Kentucky's pioneer days draw visitors from around the country. The Oakroom where Al Capone once played blackjack, now Kentucky's only AAA Five Diamond restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: The Oakroom has what your party needs, whether it is a private room for two, buying out the entire dining room for 125 people or anything in between, the Oakroom will work with & for you to make your event unforgettable, no matter what your budget!
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Quinlan 5025859292x
- Entertainment: The restaurant seats 125 guests and offers a private dining room that can accommodate up to 10 people. The Oakroom also offers specialized catering options for parties and events creating enduring memories of your personalized event.
- Special Events: Contact Jennifer Quinlan at 502-585-9292 or firstname.lastname@example.org to plan your next Private Dinner, Birthday Party, Wedding Reception and Rehearsal Dinner. She can assist you with any event from an intimate dinner for two to a celebration for 125.
A word from The Oakroom
Chef Patrick Roney and Sommelier Julie DeFriend combine their talents to create an unforgettable, world class dining experience. As the only AAA Five Diamond rated restaurant with the largest wine selection in the region, our award-winning staff infuse naturally grown or raised ingredients with Mediterranean and European influences. Chef Patrick showcases his style in a tasting menu which includes three prix-fixe menus to choose from where you will gather the pervading sense of his culinary balance and adventure as well as an a la carte menu to create your own culinary journey. For the perfect compliment to The Oakroom’s innovative cuisine, Sommelier Julie DeFriend can recommend a variety from our 900 selection wine list or a bourbon from our collection of over 50 of Kentucky’s finest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Oakroom - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
The Oakroom reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (60)romantic (42)great for brunch (31)fit for foodies (30)notable wine list (21)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Dinner Noverber 19, 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014All was as expected for a five-star restaurant with one exception. We ordered three meals, two of sea bass and one with scallops. The latter was very good but was served at too low a temperature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnbelievableJimokcVIPDined on 11/15/2014This is one of the best places we have eaten in the last 20 years. I didn't want the meal to end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sea BassKarenDined on 11/13/2014We had Sea Bass which was delicious. It was slightly crisp on the outside and very moist inside. Also had a salad with pumpkin pieces soaked in maple syrup....delicious. This is our second time there both times food and service were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyEveningatOakRoomBDLovOakRoomDined on 11/1/2014Outstanding restaurant! Great food, great service, and a beautiful place to dine. Our server, Troy, was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerNotafoodieDined on 10/31/2014Surprisingly good food. Some of the best I've ever had Ambiance. Is dignified, quiet,comfortable SuperbSpecial Features:
- LynnDined on 10/26/2014Great placed for our family to go for special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an experience more than dinnerKansasTallsDined on 10/25/2014If you want sauces on the side or dishes 'without,' you will miss much. Savor everything on the plate and the Chef will take you through an unforgettable culinary journey. Even the hazelnuts scattered throughout a plate will add a perfect note to the dish. So eat or at least 'try' everything during the tasting menu. Better go now why they still have the Pumpkin butter for the bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible, incredible, incredible!HowardDined on 10/19/2014Amazing restaurant, with great food, nice ambiance, great service, phenomenal wine list. This is THE Sunday brunch spot, as well. This isn't typical buffet brunch fare. Yes, there's an omelet and waffle bar, and you can also find bacon and sausages. But... there's also a raw bar, great and creative salads and a large variety of gourmet entries. According to the executive sous-chef, who's in charge of the brunch, this is the time that the chefs are allowed to be as creative as possible (as opposed to banquet cooking). The food is, for the most part, as creative and well-prepared as in virtually any high-class restaurant in the county. And the pastry chef is truly unbelievable. For the money, this is the best brunch deal in town.Special Features:
- A great experienceLovelyspottodineDined on 10/15/2014It is an elegant restaurant with an attentive and highly professional staff. We loved the food and we loved the service! We would recommend it highlypartic!Special Features:
- AwsomeDined on 10/12/2014The Sunday brunch was out of this world. The quality of the food is superb. Two recommendations to people coming to the brunch. 1. Do not eat breakfast before coming. 2. Plan on a two hour brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upholding a tradition of excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014After a 30 year absence my wife and I got to enjoy the exquisite "Brunch at the Seelbach" once more. The food, service, decor, and ambiance were all as wonderful as we remembered. We missed the string quartet and ice sculptures of old, however, we realize that keeping costs down probably is paramount in today's dining world. I thought the price of the brunch was a very good value. I was surprised that after all these years it is not much more than out last visit which I believe was $25.00. Our only disappointment was the attire of some of our fellow diners that is now considered acceptable. Somehow, flip flops and wind shorts are out of place in the quiet dignity of the Oak Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect BrunchMandilyn83Dined on 10/5/2014Our first visit to The Oakroom was amazing. It was the perfect setting to celebrate an anniversary.Special Features:
- TOP NOTCH BRUNCHOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014The Sunday Brunch is absolutely fantastic! I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for top notch quality, variety, and excellent service.Special Features:
- Race to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014I will start by saying that I was in the hotel five nights and I ate in the Oak Room three times. The service is unobtrusive and impeccable. But Boy howdy, the food. An Amuse Bouche of stone ground grits, a sliver of ham and a perfectly poached quail egg. A three beet salad, with baby kale, chipped and powdered hazelnuts and a sliver of Mt. Tam-so good. A blood orange and basil sorbet palate cleanser that I can only describe as heavenly. A bucket full would have been grand. I do not order bouillabaisse lightly but I decided to try. Good idea. Clams, mussels and a fillet of ocean perch. Then they pored a clear broth over the fish that shouted ocean. Some fennel, tomato and a long simmering of bones. OMG! I have run out of room.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food was wonderful. The best meal I have had in a long timeSpecial Features:
- Lovely settingNightoutDined on 9/23/2014Beautiful dining atmosphere with stunning food preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- walterDined on 9/21/2014Oldie but goodie. The Oakroom never disappoints for Brunch. Nice to see that the old style hospitality and class can still be maintainedSpecial Features:
- Great foodgrannyd121301Dined on 9/21/2014Everyone was friendly and the food was awesome !! We were celebrating our 34th anniversary and everyone made it very special♡♡Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the end all be all of birthday weekLUVgr8foodDined on 9/14/2014Every thing and more that you could think of for breakfast, lunch and dinner on a sumptuous buffet. Delicious and it won't be the last time we come here for the Sunday Brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Proper 5 Star Experience30thAnniversaryDined on 9/13/2014Dinner at the Oak Room was intended to be a very special event as we celebrated our 30th anniversary. And the entire experience was exactly what it needed to be to make it very special for a very special evening. The entire staff is very knowledgeable, professional and polite. The meal itself was interesting, but more importantly, everything was perfectly prepared and presented. The beef and pork were the best we have ever had anywhere, no doubt about it. And the attention to detail in the presentation was suburb. This is our go to special event dining experience in Louisville.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Food was excellent. Some food selections were on the verge of being too cold; but the taste was exquisite! Excellent variety; excellent, friendly waitstaff and servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oak Room BrunchJKFIDined on 9/7/2014I have been to many restaurant brunches and this one is the finest there is! Fantastic selection to please any palette. Save room for dessert because the pastry chef is top notch.Special Features:
- The Oak RoomPodgeridgeDined on 9/7/2014What a day! A wonderful experience we had during are Sunday Brunch. A class in its own. I thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Family's 1st visit to Louisvillebewitched571Dined on 8/31/2014It was amazing. I had my family visiting from Florida and I brought to the Oak Room for the wonderful Bunch that is offered on Sundays. It made the highlight of there trip. The whole staff made me and my family so welcomed and gave us one hell of experience that they will be talking about this for the rest of their life. My family could not stop talking about how well the looked and tasted. This will surely be a place that I will take people that come in visit me in Louisville. The Oak Room is a nice way to end someone's perfect vacation in Louisville.Special Features:
- Perfect AnniversaryHappycamperDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I celebrated a major anniversary last Saturday. The quality of food was beyond imagination. Service was excellent and unobtrusiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOkiemahnVIPDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I were staying at the Seelbach for the night, passing thru Louisville, and made reservations at the Oakroom out of convenience. My were we ever pleasantly surprised! The menu was unique, the wine list extensive, the service attentive and never intrusive, the wine recommendations unusual and creative, and the food was simply delicious. We would return time and again, and recommend this restaurant without reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect NightJMNdiningDined on 8/23/2014Wife and I stayed at the Seelbach and decided to stay in the hotel and eat at the Oakroom due to bad thunderstorms. We were blown away by the service. Great wine list and food was very good. Expensive but walked out feeling good about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014This was a dining experience like I've never had in my entire life. It was absolutely amazing and romantic, the cuisine was impeccable and the service was pristine and like I've never had before. I recommend The Oakroom to anyone and everyone who would like a dining experience that they will remember forever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch is deterioratingHowardDined on 8/17/2014We've been eating at the Oakroom for years, occasionally for dinners and more frequently for Sunday brunch. Unfortunately, despite using top-quality ingredients for the Sunday brunch buffet, it seems that all of the very full chafing dishes are put out well before the first guests arrive, and the dishes are replenished quite infrequently after that. Food tends to get dry, and, at points almost inedibly so. Which is an incredible pity. Last Sunday there was a duck dish, which had some nice flavor but was dry as a bone. The halibut was DRY and almost inedible. The biscuits and gravy, which used to be nice here, is a lot less tempting with tepid biscuits and luke-warm gravy. Things tend to get congealed on the plate.
- OakCapGrillVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was prepared differently than the usual menu items and the menu was somewhat limited. While this gives one something new, some of the more common dishes would add to the choices.Special Features:
- best in classrdubDined on 8/9/2014the food was excellent, the staff was wonderful and the experience was memorable and perfect for our 4 fellas traveling to the PGA tournament.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014We frequent louisville for brunch and hands down, the Oak Room is our favorite. After seven years of exceptional dining, we were heartbroken over the unacceptable service we received. Brunch is hosted as a self service buffet yet our servers not only neglected us, they abandoned us. They would only visit our table when we were at the buffet to clear our plates. No stopping by to see how we were. And in 90 minutes, both water glasses ran dry. No refills, no offer of cocktails, nothing. With no one to flag down, I refilled my own glass at the server stand. We spoke to Troy about this and his advice on a future visit would be to sit in his section (and he's right...he is an awesome server). Very very disappointed.Special Features:
- As always, THE place for brunchHowardDined on 7/27/2014The Oakroom is my all-time-favorite place in Louisville for an amazing Sunday brunch. The selection and quality of food is great. There's a raw bar which ranges from good to incredible (always fresh jumbo shrimp; oysters, while always available have ranged from ok to great; and on occasion, as last week, there are crab claws which are amazing. There's an omelette station, which is well-stocked, and a wide variety of entrees in chafing dishes. Usually, as in the last visit, these are refreshed often. The dessert selection is always unbelievable. The Oakroom has access to the best pastry chefs outside of Manhattan and Lyon. For the money, there's no better deal in all of Louisville. I'll see you there soon-----Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Extremely accommodating to our schedule; arrived 1/2 hour before our reservation and seated us promptly. Lovely brunch.Special Features:
- The following 599 reviews are from the The Oakroom reviews archive.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The food and service were outstanding! We are looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful, romantic eveningwoohooDined on 7/18/2014We really enjoyed the atmosphere, food and all. It was a wonderful experience for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastes like 5-star diningKansasFellaDined on 7/12/2014My wife treated me to a birthday dinner over the weekend. Troy and his assistant, Nicole, were top notch in providing the best service we've experienced while dining in Louisville the last 12-months. The ambience is good because of how dated the restaurant feels even knowing how old the historic hotel is today. We will definitely refer to friends and my clients for the special occasion venue! Well worth the investment that you'll receive at the end of your dining experience needless to say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The complete experienceChuckFinleyVIPDined on 7/11/2014The Oak room is what it is, and it is what others simply are not. A refined eating experience at an appropriate cost delivered as from a time and with a level of service that one would not expect to exist today. The portions are smaller, but the series of plates are delivered at an appropriate pace so as to satiate the appetite without over-stuffing a super sized meal in just because one can. Attentive staff and a job well done.Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014We had a great time but the service was not the best I have had there. Also really miss the smaller setting with the buffet in the room. It was loud and not as special as it has always been in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchLoveLouisvilleDined on 6/29/2014Our son and daughter-in-law have enjoyed living in downtown Louisville in the historic Whiskey Row Lofts for several years. They are embarking on a new adventure and moving to Nashville. Our Sunday brunch was their "send off celebration". Everything we tried was fabulous. The ambiance and history of this restaurant were wonderful. Our attendant shared some of the history of the room with us. We hope this won't be our last visit to the Oakroom.Special Features: