500 4th Avenue
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theoakroomlouisville.com/
- Phone: 5028073463x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm;
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Patrick Roney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Oakroom's rich history, elegance and tradition, along with state-of-the-art modern conveniences, make it one of the country's most desirable and unique venues for meetings, weddings and other events. Guests and local visitors love exploring The Oakroom itself. A history of celebrities and ghosts, early 1900s décor and original murals depicting Kentucky's pioneer days draw visitors from around the country. The Oakroom where Al Capone once played blackjack, now Kentucky's only AAA Five Diamond restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: The Oakroom has what your party needs, whether it is a private room for two, buying out the entire dining room for 125 people or anything in between, the Oakroom will work with & for you to make your event unforgettable, no matter what your budget!
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Quinlan 5025859292x
- Entertainment: The restaurant seats 125 guests and offers a private dining room that can accommodate up to 10 people. The Oakroom also offers specialized catering options for parties and events creating enduring memories of your personalized event.
- Special Events: Contact Jennifer Quinlan at 502-585-9292 or email@example.com to plan your next Private Dinner, Birthday Party, Wedding Reception and Rehearsal Dinner. She can assist you with any event from an intimate dinner for two to a celebration for 125.
A word from The Oakroom
Chef Patrick Roney and Sommelier Julie DeFriend combine their talents to create an unforgettable, world class dining experience. As the only AAA Five Diamond rated restaurant with the largest wine selection in the region, our award-winning staff infuse naturally grown or raised ingredients with Mediterranean and European influences. Chef Patrick showcases his style in a tasting menu which includes three prix-fixe menus to choose from where you will gather the pervading sense of his culinary balance and adventure as well as an a la carte menu to create your own culinary journey. For the perfect compliment to The Oakroom’s innovative cuisine, Sommelier Julie DeFriend can recommend a variety from our 900 selection wine list or a bourbon from our collection of over 50 of Kentucky’s finest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Oakroom - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
The Oakroom reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (53)romantic (39)great for brunch (26)fit for foodies (26)notable wine list (18)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (7)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A Proper 5 Star Experience30thAnniversaryDined on 9/13/2014Dinner at the Oak Room was intended to be a very special event as we celebrated our 30th anniversary. And the entire experience was exactly what it needed to be to make it very special for a very special evening. The entire staff is very knowledgeable, professional and polite. The meal itself was interesting, but more importantly, everything was perfectly prepared and presented. The beef and pork were the best we have ever had anywhere, no doubt about it. And the attention to detail in the presentation was suburb. This is our go to special event dining experience in Louisville.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Food was excellent. Some food selections were on the verge of being too cold; but the taste was exquisite! Excellent variety; excellent, friendly waitstaff and servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oak Room BrunchJKFIDined on 9/7/2014I have been to many restaurant brunches and this one is the finest there is! Fantastic selection to please any palette. Save room for dessert because the pastry chef is top notch.Special Features:
- The Oak RoomPodgeridgeDined on 9/7/2014What a day! A wonderful experience we had during are Sunday Brunch. A class in its own. I thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Family's 1st visit to Louisvillebewitched571Dined on 8/31/2014It was amazing. I had my family visiting from Florida and I brought to the Oak Room for the wonderful Bunch that is offered on Sundays. It made the highlight of there trip. The whole staff made me and my family so welcomed and gave us one hell of experience that they will be talking about this for the rest of their life. My family could not stop talking about how well the looked and tasted. This will surely be a place that I will take people that come in visit me in Louisville. The Oak Room is a nice way to end someone's perfect vacation in Louisville.Special Features:
- Perfect AnniversaryHappycamperDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I celebrated a major anniversary last Saturday. The quality of food was beyond imagination. Service was excellent and unobtrusiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOkiemahnVIPDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I were staying at the Seelbach for the night, passing thru Louisville, and made reservations at the Oakroom out of convenience. My were we ever pleasantly surprised! The menu was unique, the wine list extensive, the service attentive and never intrusive, the wine recommendations unusual and creative, and the food was simply delicious. We would return time and again, and recommend this restaurant without reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect NightJMNdiningDined on 8/23/2014Wife and I stayed at the Seelbach and decided to stay in the hotel and eat at the Oakroom due to bad thunderstorms. We were blown away by the service. Great wine list and food was very good. Expensive but walked out feeling good about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014This was a dining experience like I've never had in my entire life. It was absolutely amazing and romantic, the cuisine was impeccable and the service was pristine and like I've never had before. I recommend The Oakroom to anyone and everyone who would like a dining experience that they will remember forever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch is deterioratingHowardDined on 8/17/2014We've been eating at the Oakroom for years, occasionally for dinners and more frequently for Sunday brunch. Unfortunately, despite using top-quality ingredients for the Sunday brunch buffet, it seems that all of the very full chafing dishes are put out well before the first guests arrive, and the dishes are replenished quite infrequently after that. Food tends to get dry, and, at points almost inedibly so. Which is an incredible pity. Last Sunday there was a duck dish, which had some nice flavor but was dry as a bone. The halibut was DRY and almost inedible. The biscuits and gravy, which used to be nice here, is a lot less tempting with tepid biscuits and luke-warm gravy. Things tend to get congealed on the plate.
- OakCapGrillVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was prepared differently than the usual menu items and the menu was somewhat limited. While this gives one something new, some of the more common dishes would add to the choices.Special Features:
- best in classrdubDined on 8/9/2014the food was excellent, the staff was wonderful and the experience was memorable and perfect for our 4 fellas traveling to the PGA tournament.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014We frequent louisville for brunch and hands down, the Oak Room is our favorite. After seven years of exceptional dining, we were heartbroken over the unacceptable service we received. Brunch is hosted as a self service buffet yet our servers not only neglected us, they abandoned us. They would only visit our table when we were at the buffet to clear our plates. No stopping by to see how we were. And in 90 minutes, both water glasses ran dry. No refills, no offer of cocktails, nothing. With no one to flag down, I refilled my own glass at the server stand. We spoke to Troy about this and his advice on a future visit would be to sit in his section (and he's right...he is an awesome server). Very very disappointed.Special Features:
- As always, THE place for brunchHowardDined on 7/27/2014The Oakroom is my all-time-favorite place in Louisville for an amazing Sunday brunch. The selection and quality of food is great. There's a raw bar which ranges from good to incredible (always fresh jumbo shrimp; oysters, while always available have ranged from ok to great; and on occasion, as last week, there are crab claws which are amazing. There's an omelette station, which is well-stocked, and a wide variety of entrees in chafing dishes. Usually, as in the last visit, these are refreshed often. The dessert selection is always unbelievable. The Oakroom has access to the best pastry chefs outside of Manhattan and Lyon. For the money, there's no better deal in all of Louisville. I'll see you there soon-----Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Extremely accommodating to our schedule; arrived 1/2 hour before our reservation and seated us promptly. Lovely brunch.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The food and service were outstanding! We are looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful, romantic eveningwoohooDined on 7/18/2014We really enjoyed the atmosphere, food and all. It was a wonderful experience for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastes like 5-star diningKansasFellaDined on 7/12/2014My wife treated me to a birthday dinner over the weekend. Troy and his assistant, Nicole, were top notch in providing the best service we've experienced while dining in Louisville the last 12-months. The ambience is good because of how dated the restaurant feels even knowing how old the historic hotel is today. We will definitely refer to friends and my clients for the special occasion venue! Well worth the investment that you'll receive at the end of your dining experience needless to say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The complete experienceChuckFinleyVIPDined on 7/11/2014The Oak room is what it is, and it is what others simply are not. A refined eating experience at an appropriate cost delivered as from a time and with a level of service that one would not expect to exist today. The portions are smaller, but the series of plates are delivered at an appropriate pace so as to satiate the appetite without over-stuffing a super sized meal in just because one can. Attentive staff and a job well done.Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014We had a great time but the service was not the best I have had there. Also really miss the smaller setting with the buffet in the room. It was loud and not as special as it has always been in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchLoveLouisvilleDined on 6/29/2014Our son and daughter-in-law have enjoyed living in downtown Louisville in the historic Whiskey Row Lofts for several years. They are embarking on a new adventure and moving to Nashville. Our Sunday brunch was their "send off celebration". Everything we tried was fabulous. The ambiance and history of this restaurant were wonderful. Our attendant shared some of the history of the room with us. We hope this won't be our last visit to the Oakroom.Special Features:
- The Oak RoomAnniversaryDelite32Dined on 6/26/2014My wife and I visited the Oak Room in the Seelbach Hotel in Louisville Kentucky on June 26th, 2014 for our 32nd Anniversary. The greeter, the waitresses and the Chef were ALL very professional and kind. Because I am picky sometimes with the things that i eat, the waitress and the chef made it possible that I enjoyed my Beginnings with a specially made salad. The food was absolutely delicious. Cudos to the Chef for such an excellent job. The Meat and fish were very tender and very tasty. The deserts were delicious as well and the sorbet was out of this world. We always try something different for our anniversary every year, but one thing is for sure, we will make another visit to the Oak Room. Sincerely, George and Rosalyn Griggs.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!Searching4foodDined on 6/25/2014The overall Oak Room experience was wonderful! We loved our first Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon tasting experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tradition at its best in LouisvillemariposaladyVIPDined on 6/22/2014Brunch at the Oak Room did not disappoint. Great bargain at $35 pp for a full buffet of beef tenderloin, fresh seafood, a wide salad variety, breakfast goodies, and champagne too! The pastry chef here is out of this world, with pastry and dessert selections like no buffet I have seen in years. Service was top notch and the setting takes you back to the good ol days of historic hotels.Special Features:
- persnicketydinerDined on 6/22/2014This is one of the best Sunday brunches we've ever gone to. Wonderful selection. Great place to go to experience a special get-away meal that is a welcomed reprieve from the predominate noisy, "box- type" restaurants that have no ceilings and is all chrome. One negative: for the most part our server was good but the table wasn't always cleared of dishes by the time we came back from getting another course at the buffet. Also it took a while to get water and it wasn't a full house at the time. We eat brunch or dinner here every time we come to Louisville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014Everything about our dinner was wonderful. Service and for are unbeatable.Special Features:
- Spectacularslr18VIPDined on 6/20/2014I have been to Italy and all over the US and this was the best meal and dining experience I have ever had so much so we dined at the Oakroom both nights in Louisville! Chef Patrick is truly talented and the explosion of flavors created with his dining selection is genius! Our waiter Troy and Haan were exceptional as well! We really felt so special and honored to have dined at this location! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food & Wine Experience Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014In April 2014 I experienced the Kitchen (Chef's) Table at the Savoy Grill in London. That was a great experience. However, the tasting menu and wine pairings I had at the Oakroom two months later surpassed the Savoy without question. Chef Patrick Roney and Sommelier Julie DeFriend work in perfect harmony to not only provide great food and wine but to blend the two ideally for the perfect culinary experience. They are supported by friendly, attentive staff. The restaurant itself is beautiful and tranquil. I will definitely travel to Louisville again to dine at the Oakroom. It is truly the best culinary experience I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very underwhelming brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014My party of 4 was very underwhelmed by the brunch. It was nothing special and over hyped. Very sparsely populated restaurant, explains a lot. I would not recommend this place for brunch. It costs as much as a casino buffet but is not as good as a casino buffet (even though casino buffets are pretty mediocre as well).
- lovebirdsDined on 6/3/2014Our 48th anniversary dining was excellent in every aspect from making the reservation through the exit. We plan to return next year for our 49th! We live in Frankfort and the drive is well worth the road time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dining experiencegjkleierDined on 5/30/2014When making the reservations I mentioned it was our anniversary. From the minute we arrived everyone wished us a happy anniversary and seemed to do everything possible to make us feel special. It was obvious that the table was set specifically for us including rose peddles spread over the table. Our servers were wonderful, attentive but not hovering. The food was perfectly prepared and the presentation was spectacular right to the last when the chef wrote Happy Anniversary in chocolate sauce on our desert plate. Louisville has many upscale restaurants, but few that have made us feel as comfortable and welcome as the Oak Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itDiane123Dined on 5/25/2014I've entertained out of town guests for brunch on 3 separate occasions. Great value. Beautiful setting. Delicious food. Great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service greatNicholleDined on 5/22/2014I conducted an important business dinner at the Oak room and the dinner went excellent. My only suggestion would be to increase the menu to include just a couple more traditional dinners. Some people are finicky about what they eat and although I'm sure everyone enjoyed the dinners we ordered. I feel they wished there was more to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 581 reviews are from the The Oakroom reviews archive.
- A nice place for brunchLhgtDined on 5/18/2014When my wife and I walked in there were two other tables occupied. One was a couple with a young grandchild. We, of course, were seated right next to them. The child was as good as an 18 month old can be but the grandparents kept trying to get us to interact with her. They even told her to come over and entertain us. Just annoying during the entire meal. Two young men were seated at the table on the other side of us. They seemed to be known by all of the workers in the place since all came by to visit. Maybe wouldn't have been as annoying if we weren't dodging a baby on the other side of us. At first our waiter was attentive but seemed to get busy. The food was good, not great. I suggest you stay at the Brown and have a Hot Brown instead.Special Features:
- Great Romantic Dining SpotVikasDined on 5/17/2014We celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary by staying at the Seelbach and dining at the Oakroom. The meal was spectacular! We have eaten at some of the finest restaurants in Chicago & Wine Country and were not disappointed. Dining room is one of the coolest I've seen. It was a fav spot of Al Capone and his dining room, speakeasy window and getaway door remain. Atmosphere is classy but not stuffy. Service was also great, ask for Kody as your waiter-good waiter who really knows his stuff, even gave us an impromtu tour of the place. Back to the food, the portions are huge for a small plate restaurant. Foie gras, bouillabase and trio of pork (shoulder , belly and 2 loins) were homeruns. All in all this place was fantastic,it out!Special Features:
- The OakroomJacquattaDined on 5/11/2014One of Louuisville's little secrects. Very mice.for family and friends who want something different and special in a Sunday Brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish !!!!luv2wineanddineDined on 5/11/2014I took my mother here for Mother's Day Brunch and it was Awesome !!! The food was spectacular. I am so glad that I chose the Oakroom. My mother really enjoyed her day :)Special Features:
- LovelyWolfcatDined on 5/10/2014A perfect traditional fine dining experience. Ambiance, service, and food are all superb. Note that many dishes are the chef's take with a twist on traditional dishes so expect the unexpected and enjoy the creativity. Small details such as rose petals on the table and the most divine oatmeal raisin cookies ever packaged to take home with you add to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful room, Bountuful BrunchDiningdiva2Dined on 5/3/2014We had brunch at the Oak Room prior to the Kentucky Derby. It was a busy day, but we were welcomed warmly and seated promptly. The food was excellent, and the choices were amazing. If I'm ever in Louisville in the future, I'll definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steakout2VIPDined on 4/30/2014The Oakroom at the Seelbach Hilton was unusually amazing. Excellent service, excellent presentation, excellent taste.Special Features: