The Oak Table
1221 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Oak Table
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theoaktablesc.com/
- Phone: 8035635066x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Howard Stephens
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Oak Table offers an intimate and sleek private dinning space for up to 20 guests and prime views of the adjacent South Carolina State Capitol building. State-of-the-art AV and television equipment is available
- Private Party Contact: Lauren Tebeau 8035635066x
A word from The Oak Table
Located on the corner of Main and Gervais Street, The Oak Table offers guest a menu of classic, American cuisine served in a captivating space that highlights the best of both contemporary and traditional design. Inspired by its sister restaurants in Charleston, Oak Steakhouse and The Macintosh, The Oak Table will serve dishes that expound on the freshness of locally sourced, seasonal products. The focal point of the restaurant is a majestic aged wooden table, a reminder of the integrity of time-honored American cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Oak Table - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
The Oak Table reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)fit for foodies (52)scenic view (46)romantic (37)notable wine list (27)vibrant bar scene (24)great for outdoor dining (23)great for brunch (21)neighborhood gem (17)great for lunch (15)hot spot (15)good for groups (13)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Never fails to impress!capitalcitygalDined on 8/31/2014The Oak Table never fails to impress, whether brunch, lunch, or dinner. It's a fine dining experience that doesn't take itself too seriously, which is perfect for big groups or a date night -- impeccable culinary delights in an elegant but casual atmosphere. The service is friendly and knowledgeable about the wines and foods. Always ask about the "non-listed" items on the menu, too.Special Features:
- sfroelich86Dined on 8/30/2014This was our first time at The Oak Table. The food was amazing!!! The pink snapper was probably some of the best fish dishes I ever had. The homemade butterscotch bread pudding is a must! We will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aggies visit ColumbiaDanceswithbearsDined on 8/27/2014We made last minute reservations driving into Columbia for the A&M-USC game. We had a good table. The food was delicious, the service exemplary and we thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance. We don't visit Columbia often but we'll go back to the Oak Table when we do.Special Features:
- My wife cooks betterJohnDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant and atmosphere is very nice. The food was average for this type restaurant. The menu is limited and the food taste is kind of bland.Special Features:
- Great food, fantastic service.gibsonwcDined on 8/15/2014This is easily the best restaurant in Columbia. The food is incredible and can only be matched by the service. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fairly good/location excellentdineanotherdayDined on 8/15/2014I was a bit disappointed by my meal—the watermelon gazpacho was oddly sour, and the peach salad was rather small and unsatisfying. However, the sriracha fries were excellent, and much more than my 3-person party could consume. That being said, the Oak Table is elegantly decorated, carefully lit, and perfectly situated across from the State House. Moreover, the atmosphere is calm even when the restaurant is busy, lending itself to casual conversation. I'll no doubt return for a business lunch sometime in the future, when I hope to be wowed by a different entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Our first time, but not our last time. Fine dining in Columbia. We liked everything about our night with friends. The service was great, all of us loved our meal. Great new place in Columbia!Special Features:
- Great as usualUscjanDined on 8/10/2014I love the Oak Table brunch, but really, I just love the place overall. No bad meals, terrific service, unique offerings, great drinks. Recommend.Special Features:
- A good overall experienceOp3113Dined on 8/9/2014Food was good; was priced a little high. The service was outstanding. Good place to meet someone for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnremarkableGolocalColaDined on 8/8/2014My wife's ribeye was cooked perfectly. They try very hard to locally source their food. While the Oak Table is definitely worth a try, I found it to be remarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in ColumbiaPatrickDined on 8/8/2014When we dine at the Oak Table, we always feel that we have been OUT TO DINNER. The attention to detail, service and food are the best in Columbia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch!LindseyVIPDined on 8/6/2014The sriracha fries and daily cobb salad special are amazing. This is a great spot for a business lunch or to catch up with a friend during the work day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/3/2014One of the Best restaurants in Columbia. Best Sticky Buns in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vintage bait and switchRoadWarrior2VIPDined on 8/1/2014I've been to the Oak Table a couple of times and enjoyed the experience... the menu is interesting and the food is good. My only complaint is with the wine list and service. The vintage I was served didn't match the vintage on the wine list that I ordered. The waiter acted like it happens all the time and proceeded to open the bottle. The wine tasted good so all was well but I didn't like paying for an expensive bottle and getting a younger version. Vintage bait and switch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menuPlygerDined on 7/26/2014Very limited menu and over-priced. The food was fair at best.Special Features:
- Great Restaraunt Service SubparfoodieDined on 7/19/2014Initially your are greeted with complimentary valet which was a very pleasant surprise because parking in downtown Columbia is terrible. Beware of the slippery floors! My heels and my husbands shoes were slipping as we walked to our seats. The staff was initially very attentive our waiter made sure we had everything and accommodated us very well. Even the manager stopped to ask if we needed anything just because we were looking around. However once we received our entrees we had to stop the waiter to get any assistance! Even the older couple next to us had a hard time grabbing his attention to receive dessert menus.Special Features:
- Good food/ bad attitude from serverDiner75Dined on 7/18/2014I has a very important business meeting at The Oak Table Friday night. The food was fabulous but the waiter was ready to get off of work. He consistently checked on us, trying to take our food away from us and when we finally said that can you give us 2 more minutes to finish our food... The server raised his arms in disgust and walked away. He was extremely rude and had no idea that he was waiting on a very important dinner guest that was planning on bringing his business to the area. I felt embarrassed and confronted the server about his poor attitude and rude behavior. It's a shame that our night was sooo rushed because he wanted to go home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but limited menuLuvtodineoutVIPDined on 7/14/2014Weird entrance from the office buildign lobby, uninviting. Seated in a very dark booth.The menu was very limited with a lot of items we had to ask what the food was "suobise" was one example. They had a number of small plates-we had the quail-over hominy. Hominy was just so-so, the quail was cooked perfectly and had a nice barbeque sauce. The bacon small plate was very good. One of my co-diners enjoyed a very large pork shop with bacon sauce. The other co-diner liked her skirt steak. I had the scallop small plate -delicious. The caprese salad small plate was good. We enjoyed half price wine on Monday. The frites were nothing special at all. The sweet potato frites were limp and soggy.Special Features:
- ladyonshadyVIPDined on 7/6/2014This was our first visit for brunch. Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMingo13Dined on 7/5/2014This was our fourth time to The Oak Table and it just keeps getting better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great location on Main Street with a view of the Capitol, and within walking distance from our hotel. The food was inventive and the service attentive without being overbearing. If you're coming for the fried lobster - reserve when you arrive so you won't be disappointed. There are 3 seating areas: the main room, bustling with views of the kitchen, a smaller back room which was quiet and dark, and outside. We were there for the food so we enjoyed our corner window table in the back room but if you like being part of the "scene", you'll probably be happier in the main dining room.Special Features:
- leisurely lunchfoodfriendDined on 6/27/2014My other visits to Oak Table have been for drinks and supper (excellent always) this was my first lunch. Many would emphasize the upbeat, vibrant, downtown sophistication of the restaurant. It also has a wonderful ambiance for a quiet leisurely lunch full of conversation along with the always great food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceLoveGreatFoodDined on 6/25/2014Visited The Oak table to celebrate a birthday. The staff was VERY accommodating and welcoming. Upon my entry I was immediately greeted & offered my table (had reservations). I decided to wait at the bar for the remainder of the group. The bartender and manager offered me a drink several times. I finally decided on a ginger lemonade that was excellent (If you like ginger.) We ordered several appetizers that were all great. The fries are so good they don't require ketchup & the maple bacon is divine. Our group ordered a variety of entrees, all being great. I selected the fried lobster it was delicious. Others included the pork chop, half chicken, fish and salad. Everything was excellent and we will visit again. Well worth the $$$.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinningmarriedcoupleDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I celebrated out Wedding Anniversary at Oak Table. It was our first time to dine with them. We enjoyed the experience. It was a special evening for us as well as 2 other couples who were also celebrating their anniversaries at the same time we were there.Special Features:
- LoveopentableDined on 6/20/2014Excellent Excellent Excellent Food and Service. Our waiter was top notch.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, best restaurantVegan3404Dined on 6/17/2014Food was excellent very well prepared. They easily accommodated the vegan person in our party by preparing a off menu dish that was top notch! The price point is a bit high but the food is well worth it. The service is wonderful, they're helpful, polite and non intrusive into your dinner conversation, this makes for a truly enjoyable dining experience. I would highly recommend The Oak Table and will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bruncheatout2muchDined on 6/15/2014We were greeted with an attitude like we were bothering the hostess. Then she realized we had a reservation and she became very cheerful and welcoming. The waiter was very good and attentive even though it was a buffet. The hamburger buns and meat fell apart which made for a very messy meal. Including tip I spent $150.00 for my family of four. I'll pay extra just to have a reservation and I don't mind paying even more if the food & service is excellent. This was not the case and my wife asked me if I now have the Oak Table out of my system. I was wishing for a new hangout and was disappointed!
- Columbia's bestDebDDined on 6/14/2014This was my fourth trip to The Oak Table. It's always my first choice when visiting Columbia. Cocktails are well poured, food is to die for and service is excellent. So glad it's there!Special Features:
- Wonderful B'day DinnerlayleighleeDined on 5/31/2014Everything was great! We were one of the last reservations and were running late and despite the exchange of servers due to the late hour (and the few issues that arose from that) everything was wonderful. Well, almost everything...the drinks from the bar were REALLY slow. Food was outstanding...I had a steak with a 1/2 fried lobster with truffle fries and butterscotch banana pudding for dessert. Yum!Special Features:
- Greatly enjoyed our table outside!EatlocalEatwellDined on 5/31/2014Nice table outside. Min noise from road. Excellent waitstaff! Food was really good but I did not think it to be exceptional. No one in our party of 3 was overly impressed. For the price, I expect exceptional. That being said, I am an experienced foodie and probably have higher expectations than most. BTW: We have eaten at Oak in Charleston and was wowed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss!SpeakinawichDined on 5/27/2014Fabulous time! Been for lunch, dinner and for a nightcap and all were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014A little pricey, but the food was excellent and the service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday dinnerJimCDined on 5/23/2014As usual, we had a spectacular meal, from appetizer to dessert. The staff was very attentive, as we had asked for outdoor seating and there were thunderstorms in the area. We managed the entire meal outside with only a brief period of gusty winds. The stormy sky created a magnificent backdrop for the dome of the State Capitol building. One of our favorite places.Special Features:
- Keep TryingJasWilliamsVIPDined on 5/23/2014Really want to love this restaurant but still not there yet. Several visits recently and the most outstanding meal is Sunday Brunch. Dinner menu leaves much to be desired. Options are just not great. Predictable. Nothing special. Tried charcuterie plate. Very limited diversity. A piece of bacon and 2 mousses too narrow a selection for sharing. Small plate salmon salad with 3 paper thin slices of salmon over greens: fair. Menu is like many local restaurants and lacking imagination. Really,really want this restaurant to succeed and will keep visiting. Drinks are great.Special Features:
- Good timesMitChandraDined on 5/22/2014My friends and I had our first monthly BFF's evening out. We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmgoodDined on 5/19/2014Best steak we have ever had and beat tile fish we have ever had. The bread is absolutely amazing. The fact that mondays are half off bottles of wine under $100 is awesome and we will definetely be back for that deal again in the near future. Obviously a little pricey but the food was well worth the money as it was prepared beautifully and tasted like heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdaySCEmpressDined on 5/18/2014We celebrated my Birthday Eve for Sunday brunch. It was wonderful. Even though the day was cool and rainy, I'm sure dining outdoors would be nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Indigo Road WinnercharlestondiningfanVIPDined on 5/17/2014I love Indigo Road's offerings in Charleston (The Macintosh, Oak Steakhouse, Indaco, O-Ku, and The Cocktail Club), so had high expectations for The Oak Table when I was in Columbia for the SC Book Festival. They delivered in every way! I enjoyed the creative spring menu, super service, and a great downtown vibe. Highly-recommended!Special Features:
- Downtown ColumbiaDukeVIPDined on 5/17/2014First time was pretty good, not great, service was nice pleasant, need better menu I feel, plates were to small, tables are to small , seats crowded, sea scallops were excellent, need better appetizers and desserts, French press coffee was ok, cups were to thin too hot to hold, steak knives were nice, bread was hot but a basic white dinner roll was all. I would hope for more dinner fish choices as well specials. Nice view statehouse and outdoor dining if you like, parking is a little tough. Only rib eye and hangar steak, really! No filet choice!!! Will try again and I sure hope it is better the next time. Columbia needs good places !!!!!Special Features:
- alacartDined on 5/15/2014Excellent service, great food. A+. It was a very enjoyable evening. It was my wife's birthday and when we could not decide on an appetizer the server brought us both. Very classy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.