The Oak Table
1221 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Oak Table
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theoaktablesc.com/
- Phone: 8035635066x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Howard Stephens
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Oak Table offers an intimate and sleek private dinning space for up to 20 guests and prime views of the adjacent South Carolina State Capitol building. State-of-the-art AV and television equipment is available
- Private Party Contact: Jessica North 8035635066x
A word from The Oak Table
Located on the corner of Main and Gervais Street, The Oak Table offers guest a menu of classic, American cuisine served in a captivating space that highlights the best of both contemporary and traditional design. Inspired by its sister restaurants in Charleston, Oak Steakhouse and The Macintosh, The Oak Table will serve dishes that expound on the freshness of locally sourced, seasonal products. The focal point of the restaurant is a majestic aged wooden table, a reminder of the integrity of time-honored American cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Oak Table - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
The Oak Table reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)special occasion (55)scenic view (40)romantic (33)notable wine list (26)great for outdoor dining (21)great for brunch (20)good for groups (19)hot spot (17)neighborhood gem (16)vibrant bar scene (16)great for lunch (11)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Being new to Columbia, it is our best experience yet with service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oak TableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/20142 1/2 hours to dine. By the time our entrees came after appetizers and salads we were no longer hungry. The fish was good. The fried lobster greasy.
- Best food in Columbia!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Amazing food! Very tasty! Price on the high side but worth it!Special Features:
- First Time VisitMikesObservationsDined on 10/12/2014I loved the reminder from the website that reservations were available on line. The reservation process was quick and easy. The food was than anticipated as only brunch was offered at 2 pm on a Sunday. This meant we didn't have access to a dinner menu. The restaurant ambiance was exiting and excellent. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Location, and Food!TruffleFanDined on 10/9/2014Great place for lunch or dinner! Brunch is great too! The weather was perfect, so we sat outside, and the view of the Statehouse is amazing! If you can, sit outside! Our server was the absolute best, and he provided outstanding service! If you go for lunch, be sure to try the White Truffle Grilled Cheese, but be warned, the portion is huge, so it is more like two sandwiches! They offer a half and half, so I like to order half White Truffle Grilled Cheese, and half Caesar Salad. Be sure to try the truffle frites as well- they are amazing! I get them everytime I go! The Smores dessert is delicious, and totally worth the extra mile or two I needed to run to burn off the calories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!tophertaDined on 10/3/2014Great food and attentive staff.Mt spouse and I got 2 small plates, an entree, and 2 desserts. We shares it all and left full and happy. It was wonderful. Plus complimentary valet is always a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/2/2014Food is always top shelf and the service is outstanding. While the wine list is nice it could be improved especially the Reds. Love their appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not a valueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014The food was very good. Portions were too small. Everything was overpriced. Does not compare favorably with Solstice or Hampton St.Vineyards.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in ColumbiaMarcieDined on 9/26/2014My family has been coming to Columbia for years ( as both of our sons attended the University of South Carolina) and have dined at many establishments in the city. We wished that we would have come across the Oak Table earlier. Loved the ambiance, incredible food and wonderful wine list. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but Not GreatOldogfaceVIPDined on 9/26/2014Small active restaurant - not an extensive menu, but focused on local ingredients. Food was tasty and well presented. Wife had fried lobster, and, honestly, the preparation didn't do the lobster justice. I had the tilefish and truffle fries..... OK. Wouldn't order the truffle fries again, though - too much truffle and pecorino which became overwhelming. I was hoping for something closer to Oak Steakhouse in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They treat you like a rock starBigSidDined on 9/25/2014Beautiful place, great fun service, awesome view of the SC State house and a really cool bar, large wine list and they will prepare things especially for you diet (off the menu) if you call ahead and let them know and it will be delish.Special Features:
- Service very good...Food OKColtSouthDined on 9/24/2014I've been there several times with above average to good experiences. I ordered the Fried Chicken Liver appetizer and salad as an entree. Sent it back, the livers were cool in the center and mushy pink. The second time around still mushy and pink, but at least almost hot. Should be firm...Not overcooked and dry but able to hold up to be sliced. these just mushed around under the breading. My colleagues were pleased with the steak and pork chop entree they ordered...I'll probably go back, but I'lll stick wight the burger. I love a rare burger. Lovely atmosphere. Our server was excellent and Sam helped out too. Sam is an asset to the place.his smile and eyes can help get through any awkward situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureRIdinerVIPDined on 9/14/2014Our second visit to the Oak Table and it was as fantastic as the first. The ambiance, service and food were excellent. Plan on going again when in town next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyablecolafoodieDined on 9/13/2014Was looking forward to visiting for a while now! Gorgeous decor. Amazing service. Their cocktail menu is awesome and original. I really enjoyed the food - however, I will say that there are not a lot of choices to choose from & the choices are VERY expensive. Don't expect to talk out of there spending less then 80 bucks (and I only had one bar drink.) I will say there dessert is to die for. I might just go to eat dessert there. So unique and different. Ingredients are so diverse and blended you would have never thought they would go together!Special Features:
- First timerSportfishing1Dined on 9/10/2014It was perfect. Start to finish. Apps, wine, steak, fried lobster to dessert. Nothing let us down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Poorly cooked and overpriced food, mildly condescending service. Some good flavor combinations. We had chicken (rubbery) and Ribeye. Best part of the meal was the Swiss Chard.Special Features:
- I Love This RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014A 20th Anniversary was celebrated and a beautiful night was had. My wife and I appreciate the lovely food and the warm hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2014We took my son out to dinner for his birthday at Oak Table. The service was wonderful and the food was delicious. We had a wonderful time and my USC son devoured his 16oz ribeye steak dinner.Special Features:
- Great Brunch SpotWineandDineDined on 8/31/2014We had a wonderful Sunday brunch. My friend started out with the Grilled Peach Salad with crispy fried pork jowl and followed it with the Brunch Burger with Truffle Frites. She thoroughly enjoyed both. I had the Reuben Hash - it was so good - crispy potatoes, corned beef, sauerkraut, white cheddar, sunny side up eggs, marble rye toast, topped with a whole grain mustard vinaigrette. And of course, I had to have a side order of the creamy grits with bits of chiles just to spice it up a bit. The wine list is extensive and has wines for all budgets - we drank a prosecco. Our waiter, Jack, was personable, attentive and answered our questions knowledgeably. Background music was at a good level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to impress!capitalcitygalDined on 8/31/2014The Oak Table never fails to impress, whether brunch, lunch, or dinner. It's a fine dining experience that doesn't take itself too seriously, which is perfect for big groups or a date night -- impeccable culinary delights in an elegant but casual atmosphere. The service is friendly and knowledgeable about the wines and foods. Always ask about the "non-listed" items on the menu, too.Special Features:
- sfroelich86Dined on 8/30/2014This was our first time at The Oak Table. The food was amazing!!! The pink snapper was probably some of the best fish dishes I ever had. The homemade butterscotch bread pudding is a must! We will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aggies visit ColumbiaDanceswithbearsDined on 8/27/2014We made last minute reservations driving into Columbia for the A&M-USC game. We had a good table. The food was delicious, the service exemplary and we thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance. We don't visit Columbia often but we'll go back to the Oak Table when we do.Special Features:
- My wife cooks betterJohnDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant and atmosphere is very nice. The food was average for this type restaurant. The menu is limited and the food taste is kind of bland.Special Features:
- Great food, fantastic service.gibsonwcDined on 8/15/2014This is easily the best restaurant in Columbia. The food is incredible and can only be matched by the service. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fairly good/location excellentdineanotherdayDined on 8/15/2014I was a bit disappointed by my meal—the watermelon gazpacho was oddly sour, and the peach salad was rather small and unsatisfying. However, the sriracha fries were excellent, and much more than my 3-person party could consume. That being said, the Oak Table is elegantly decorated, carefully lit, and perfectly situated across from the State House. Moreover, the atmosphere is calm even when the restaurant is busy, lending itself to casual conversation. I'll no doubt return for a business lunch sometime in the future, when I hope to be wowed by a different entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Our first time, but not our last time. Fine dining in Columbia. We liked everything about our night with friends. The service was great, all of us loved our meal. Great new place in Columbia!Special Features:
- Great as usualUscjanDined on 8/10/2014I love the Oak Table brunch, but really, I just love the place overall. No bad meals, terrific service, unique offerings, great drinks. Recommend.Special Features:
- A good overall experienceOp3113Dined on 8/9/2014Food was good; was priced a little high. The service was outstanding. Good place to meet someone for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnremarkableGolocalColaDined on 8/8/2014My wife's ribeye was cooked perfectly. They try very hard to locally source their food. While the Oak Table is definitely worth a try, I found it to be remarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in ColumbiaPatrickDined on 8/8/2014When we dine at the Oak Table, we always feel that we have been OUT TO DINNER. The attention to detail, service and food are the best in Columbia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch!LindseyVIPDined on 8/6/2014The sriracha fries and daily cobb salad special are amazing. This is a great spot for a business lunch or to catch up with a friend during the work day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/3/2014One of the Best restaurants in Columbia. Best Sticky Buns in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vintage bait and switchRoadWarrior2VIPDined on 8/1/2014I've been to the Oak Table a couple of times and enjoyed the experience... the menu is interesting and the food is good. My only complaint is with the wine list and service. The vintage I was served didn't match the vintage on the wine list that I ordered. The waiter acted like it happens all the time and proceeded to open the bottle. The wine tasted good so all was well but I didn't like paying for an expensive bottle and getting a younger version. Vintage bait and switch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menuPlygerDined on 7/26/2014Very limited menu and over-priced. The food was fair at best.Special Features:
- Great Restaraunt Service SubparfoodieDined on 7/19/2014Initially your are greeted with complimentary valet which was a very pleasant surprise because parking in downtown Columbia is terrible. Beware of the slippery floors! My heels and my husbands shoes were slipping as we walked to our seats. The staff was initially very attentive our waiter made sure we had everything and accommodated us very well. Even the manager stopped to ask if we needed anything just because we were looking around. However once we received our entrees we had to stop the waiter to get any assistance! Even the older couple next to us had a hard time grabbing his attention to receive dessert menus.Special Features:
- Good food/ bad attitude from serverDiner75Dined on 7/18/2014I has a very important business meeting at The Oak Table Friday night. The food was fabulous but the waiter was ready to get off of work. He consistently checked on us, trying to take our food away from us and when we finally said that can you give us 2 more minutes to finish our food... The server raised his arms in disgust and walked away. He was extremely rude and had no idea that he was waiting on a very important dinner guest that was planning on bringing his business to the area. I felt embarrassed and confronted the server about his poor attitude and rude behavior. It's a shame that our night was sooo rushed because he wanted to go home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but limited menuLuvtodineoutVIPDined on 7/14/2014Weird entrance from the office buildign lobby, uninviting. Seated in a very dark booth.The menu was very limited with a lot of items we had to ask what the food was "suobise" was one example. They had a number of small plates-we had the quail-over hominy. Hominy was just so-so, the quail was cooked perfectly and had a nice barbeque sauce. The bacon small plate was very good. One of my co-diners enjoyed a very large pork shop with bacon sauce. The other co-diner liked her skirt steak. I had the scallop small plate -delicious. The caprese salad small plate was good. We enjoyed half price wine on Monday. The frites were nothing special at all. The sweet potato frites were limp and soggy.Special Features:
- ladyonshadyVIPDined on 7/6/2014This was our first visit for brunch. Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMingo13VIPDined on 7/5/2014This was our fourth time to The Oak Table and it just keeps getting better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great location on Main Street with a view of the Capitol, and within walking distance from our hotel. The food was inventive and the service attentive without being overbearing. If you're coming for the fried lobster - reserve when you arrive so you won't be disappointed. There are 3 seating areas: the main room, bustling with views of the kitchen, a smaller back room which was quiet and dark, and outside. We were there for the food so we enjoyed our corner window table in the back room but if you like being part of the "scene", you'll probably be happier in the main dining room.Special Features: