The Oak Table
1221 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Oak Table
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theoaktablesc.com/
- Phone: (803) 563-5066
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Howard Stephens
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Oak Table offers an intimate and sleek private dinning space for up to 20 guests and prime views of the adjacent South Carolina State Capitol building. State-of-the-art AV and television equipment is available
- Private Party Contact: Jessica North 8035635066x
A word from The Oak Table
Located on the corner of Main and Gervais Street, The Oak Table offers guest a menu of classic, American cuisine served in a captivating space that highlights the best of both contemporary and traditional design. Inspired by its sister restaurants in Charleston, Oak Steakhouse and The Macintosh, The Oak Table will serve dishes that expound on the freshness of locally sourced, seasonal products. The focal point of the restaurant is a majestic aged wooden table, a reminder of the integrity of time-honored American cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Oak Table - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
The Oak Table reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)special occasion (53)scenic view (34)romantic (30)notable wine list (27)great for brunch (22)good for groups (22)neighborhood gem (21)great for outdoor dining (20)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (17)great for lunch (12)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great ambiance, great fooddaleb82VIPDined on 4/12/2014I was looking for a special place for dinner and I found it! I was apprehensive with the restaurant in the business district downtown. I thought it would be too sterile and corporate. I was wrong! The oak and the atmosphere are beautiful. There's a great menu and a comfortable outdoor dining space. Beautiful bar and great cocktails. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Oak Table VisitGreatDined on 4/8/2014Great place for special Dinner the staff was great the owner spoke to us, and everything was super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2014We have been to The Oak Table twice and have enjoyed both visits. The Service, Food and Experience has been consistently excellent. The food is high end with a southern flair. I would recommend that you try any meal and get the 1/2 fried lobster as a second course. Also, the 1/2 price wine bottle night is always a good night to try The Oak Table. They have many good reasonably priced wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu always evolvingjamoore07Dined on 4/6/2014The menu is always concise but offers plenty of variety. It is as interesting as they come and it is always changing. We go to Oak Table at least every 3 months and there's always menu changes which means something new to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a nice table.colatownDined on 4/6/2014We had brunch on sunday to celebrate a birthday; the friendly hostess sat us at a nice window table. We started with the ricotta fritters; they were amazing. For my entree I ordered a medium patty melt. It came out well done, it happens, but the meat was cold to the touch, and the cheese was not melted. This was the first time in my life that I sent my food back. The next patty melt came out quickly and was cooked medium. However, it was not hot and again the cheese was not melted. It seemed like the patties were cooked the night before and then poorly reheated to order. I hope that's not the case. The dinning room was beautiful, and the staff was very friendly. Sadly this was not my first disappointing experience. Best of luck.Special Features:
- great restaurantbirthdaydinerDined on 3/29/2014We went there for a birthday dinner and it did not disappoint# truffle fries are a must get. The sea scollops were cooked perfectly! We ended up getting dessert even though everyone claimed they were fill..the foreplay dessert was gone within seconds as 4 spoons quickly dived in! Will definitely be back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentwjrauhDined on 3/29/2014My wife and I invited a friend of ours to Oak Table. He was in from Chicago so we wanted to take him some place nice given that we do not see him often. As usual Oak Table did not disappoint. Our meals were perferctly prepared, rudder fish, ribeye, and scallops. The pre-dinner cocktails were very well prepared and the the wine pairing suggested by the waiter was excellent. It is difficult to get a pairing right with three such different entrees but were extremely satisfied.Special Features:
- Love the food and decorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014I really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere however I just hate that couples are sat SO close together that you can overhear conversations! I would still go back though because the food was so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food so goodcyn67Dined on 3/28/2014Loved it. Great view of the Capital building. Looked like people who worked downtown, in and around the Capital,know about this restaurant. Food was excellent. Presented beautifully and heavenly to eat. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early supper before "Jersey Boys".FoodieinColumbiaDined on 3/25/2014Have wanted to love The Oak Table after three previous visits and had been slightly disappointed by the food. Apparently the new chef is just what was needed. We had a wonderful meal, good/prompt device and an overall delightful pre-play supper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried Whole LobsterhungrymanDined on 3/24/2014Fried Whole Lobster was over cooked and should instead be made with two Maine lobster tails. Loved the 50% off wine night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DinershatcherDined on 3/21/2014We had a group of 7 and the restaurant was able to accommodate our group nicely. We started with a few appetizers, which were small but delicious! The presentation of the food was beautiful. We ordered the scallops, which came with a large helping of lentils and 2 perfectly seared scallops. Each of us ordered an entree and they all tasted and looked great. The whole deep fried lobster was delicious, but it was extremely difficult to eat. The steaks that were ordered were well cooked and the fingerling potatoes that came with it were hot and crispy. The pork chop was a thick cut and perfectly cooked. We didn't order desserts, but they did offer some gourmet type selections - not your typical cheesecake and chocolate cake options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order the SteakJettapDined on 3/17/2014The burgers and steaks are delicious. The first time I visited the restaurant I ordered half chicken. I was slight disappointed because blood came out of the chicken near the bone, which to me indicated it was not completely done. Chicken is one of those dishes I do believe blood should "run out" of when you cut it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the pricekaniDined on 3/16/2014My entree( pulled pork tostado) was excellent however my husband's ( chorizo) was not very good. His poached egg was overcooked , more like a medium boiled egg, the temperature of his food was barely lukewarm & the chorizo was almost cold. Both sides (grits & potatoes) we ordered were very good and hot. Our reservation was at 1:00 & it was 1:45 before we got our entrees. We had ordered the ricotta fritters which came in a timely manner. I know it's fine dining not fast food but 2 diners who came in some time after us got their food before we did. We got drinks & fritters quickly & I was asked if I wanted more coffee but after he dropped off our meal, our waiter never came back to our table until he brought our check.
- Exceptional experience!TeacherDined on 3/8/2014We had looked forward to dining at The Oak Table for some time, so we had built it up to be a very special place to go. It did not disappoint! We had reservations for 6:15 and were seated right way upon arrival a few minutes before. We ordered the cornbread as an appetizer and enjoyed it, although the bread that was served was piping hot and we really did not need it. I had two small plates, the beet and fried goat cheese salad, and the scallops, both of which were over-the-top delicious!. My husband had the flank stead and declared it some of the best meat he's ever eaten. We wished we had not ordered the cornbread so that we would have had room for dessert, but that gives us something to look forward to on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch a Flop!RicheyDined on 3/2/2014This is the second Sunday Brunch we have tried. Food was mediocre and menu selection was less than adequate…had a hard time finding something to order and when the food arrived, rather late, it was disappointing. That's it for me - two failures is enough.
- poor servicemigowDined on 3/2/2014As it is ubiquitous throughout the Columbia area. The coffee was room temperature at best and it had spilled out of the cup by the time it arrived at the table but the waiter saw nothing wrong with it. OJ arrived after two more reminders. Other than that, the food is decent and the location, across from the state house, pretty scenic for a Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oak Table BrunchofferDined on 3/2/2014My husband and I went here for brunch on Sunday and we're not disappointed at all. Every item we have tried of the menu was delicious. We highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Puts Columbia on the map!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014My how Columbia has grown up! This restaurant is a true gem - reasonably priced for its high quality food, preparation, ambiance and good wines by the glass. We look forward to going back the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprise!CHT0001Dined on 3/1/2014I just moved the the area from Atlanta and have been missing its restaurant choices. I was excited to try Oak Table after hearing rave reviews. It certainly did not disappoint. This is a gem in Columbia. Right on Main street, with a great view of the State House. The cocktails were exceptional - very intricately designed. The appetizers were great for sharing, so were the sides. I went with a group and we all split several appetizers and sides so that we could try different things. Th service was exceptional - very attentive and our serve made excellent recommendations. I always appreciate a server who knows the menu. I can't wait to go back. I also want to try their Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhhhhhBwmbDined on 2/22/2014We had been wanting to go for quite some time, and when we finally got around to a dinner date for our anniversary I was excited. I have to say I'm really not impressed. The food selection is pretty scarce, and not that good to be honest. Especially for the price. The beer selection wasn't impressive to the hubby, nor were the prices for the experience we had. We were hoping for a romantic dining experience but we were literally right on top of the couple beside up and the open kitchen. Needless to say, we can find a more romantic way to spend $100Special Features:
- Great dining experience as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2014Food, service and experience overall were great as usual! We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemdiningprofessorVIPDined on 2/21/2014We had an entirely enjoyable experience at Oak Table -- outstanding food and service. Tilefish was perfectly prepared and accompanied with delectable delights. Our waitress, who is "living the dream," provided excellent service; her irreverence and positive attitude kept us engaged; her advice on the food was right on. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was EXCELLENT; service so-soMingo13VIPDined on 2/21/2014Food was outstanding. It was our service that could use improvement. My husband and I were catching up with an old friend in town on business and our conversation was constantly interrupted by an over-attentive staff. Maybe some patrons like to be doted on every few minutes, but we prefer an occasional non-intruding check on our table. At one point, three different staff members came to refill our wine glasses (out of a bottle already sitting at our table) in a period of 5 minutes - and our glasses were already full! Overkill. They didn't need to rush us along - there were plenty of open tables. We did express this issue to one of the managers, so hopefully this will improve. Service needs to be up to the level of their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinning experiencePropserityGirlDined on 2/21/2014Overall, our dinning experience was very good. The server, Jessica, knew the food choices and made an outstanding recommendation for our dinner choices. They only 'negative' was the two seater table seemed very small. Otherwise, I would recommend The Oak table for a great dinning choice.Special Features:
- OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/18/2014Too expensive for quality of food. Change menu and price point.Special Features:
- Solid brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014My personal favorite place for brunch in town. Very reasonable prices for what you get. Everything is fresh, well seasoned, and well presented. As a chef in town, I know shortcuts and complacent technique when I see it. There is none to be found with their brunch. If the staff is hungover, they do a masterful job disguising it.Special Features:
- Wonderful imaginative foodmander3427Dined on 2/16/2014You can always tell when a kitchen really enjoys what they do. Oak Table is one of those places. They have a new and inventive menu that never fails to impress. You can go to expensive restaurants and get upscale boring food but you will never get that here. I have never had anything I've ordered not taste great. Oak Table is always my go to for special occasions! Don't pass up the truffled fries! They are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014I found the meals overpriced. My steak was delicious but I have had a similar steak at another local restaurant for $15 less with sides I was also expecting more steak choices. We did like the atmosphere. But I would have a hard time recommending to friends bc of costSpecial Features:
- Great meal..ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Went to Oak table for dinner and the food was great. However, they need to improve their service. The waitress did NOTHING to explain the menu and wasn't friendly. We then waited 45 minutes for our meal after we placed our order. Will definitely go back again, but when I'm paying these prices I expect the service to be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in ColumbiaTom1Dined on 2/14/2014Outstanding restaurant with great night view of the Capital building! The menu changes each day based on fresh local products that are available. Highly recommend when in Columbia SC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDonnDined on 2/5/2014Food is good is good but not great for the price. Need to work on the lighting. Parts of the dining room are well lit but where we sat flashlights definitely required to read a menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, service weakColaEaterDined on 2/1/2014Great view of the state house, sleek style welcome change to Columbia. Service weak and scattered. Had reservation, arrived early to have drink at bar, hostess said we could be seated whenever, at time of reservation, no tables available, waited additional 20-30 min for table. Bartenders/staff arguing, inattentive, overheard service staff complaining about patrons, bathrooms were dirty, littered with paper. Out of many menu items, steak and fish selections very weak, chicken and pork selections better but not unique. Wine list excellent, speciality cocktails were unpleasant tasting, but the liquor selection was great. The ambiance/view excellent but service and food did not live up to expectations for sleek upscale fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Nothing to write home aboutCarolineDined on 2/1/2014Overall The Oak Table was a disappointing experience. The menu looked intriguing but the flavor was lacking overall. Columbia, SC needs a healthy dose of "fit for foodies" competition. I file this one under "a miss."
- Perfect!LuvlakemurrayVIPDined on 2/1/2014for a weekend dinner out with friends-service was not very quick, but then we really didn't want it to be. We were catching up and enjoying old friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchluvsushiVIPDined on 1/26/2014Very accomadating for my friend's birthday brunch. The food was delicious and our server was excellent. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNIQUELY UPTOWNOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/22/2014The State House and grounds, softly illuminated at night, are stunnng from the restaurant across Gervais Street. And, that sets the mood for unusually creative starter menu. Entrees were appealing, and hard to choose, ultimately the tile fish dish was a combination of flavor, and perfect execution -- available in similar preparation elsewhere, but an outstanding preparation and presentation. My dining companion chose the pork chop -- my taste was succulent and flavorful. The wait staff was friendly, personable, but not hovering. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not quite what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/19/2014Considering the hype, I expected an incredible meal. The Eggs in Purgatory was good but nothing special. My husband was disappointed in the quality of the Reuben brunch option. The Maple Cinnamon Roll appetizer had a delicious flavor, but the bread tasted stale. I loved the ambiance and service, so I will return, but it will probably be for a cocktail after work rather than for brunch.Special Features:
- AmazingSakacaDined on 1/19/2014I enjoyed ever second of my brunch at the Oak Table. From the time we stepped into the restaurant we were greeted by smiles and amazing attitudes. The food was amazing and the bottomless mimosas were delicious. I will be coming back again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week patronSoutherntouristDined on 1/18/2014Of course, we understood it would be a busy time. We arrived 5 minutes early for our reservation and were shown right to a table with a wonderful view of the state house. Service was a bit slow, but we did not mind. The problem was the food. A creamy onion soup would have been even more delicious had it been served hot. We ordered fried lobster, which turned out to be drenched with a soggy breading, unappetizing. The dishes were served with bland mashed potatoes. For dessert, an apple-calvados dish was totally lacking Calvados, and a chestnut dish did not have any chestnut flavor.Special Features: