The Oak Room - The Westin St. Francis
335 Powell St
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Oak Room - The Westin St. Francis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.westinstfrancis.com/
- Phone: 4157740264
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 6:30am - 11:30am; Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Bernd Liebergesell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Able to cater for private funtions for up to 110pp. We can cater special menus that are personalised to the clients tastes and preference. Please call the Oak Room for a Menu Specialist for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant "buy outs" are available. We also have a secluded alcove for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Guido Schuldberg 4157740415
- Special Events: Private Dining Room Available Please call the Oak Room for further details.
A word from The Oak Room - The Westin St. Francis
This is the place to enjoy a hearty breakfast and a full buffet. For lunch, dinner and cocktails, relax in a historic retreat featuring a seasonal menu with some old time San Francisco favorites. Room has just finished an extensive renovation that was part of the whole renewal process of the Historic St. Francis. Join us on Facebook to take an indepth look at our remodeled room. We feature a Comprehensive California wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Oak Room - The Westin St. Francis reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (9)special occasion (9)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (2)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014The Oak Room is a wonderful gem. Located down a hallway in the lobby of the St. Francis, it was not very busy on a Friday evening, but we had the throw back menu - the 1912 menu and it was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- greatdubeDined on 8/15/2014Just what we were looking for. A quiet place to have a drink with old friends and then some dinner. Though not avant garde cuisine, food was delicious traditional. Sorry it doesn't seem to have a draw. Service was exceptional, atmosphere lovely. For those wanting just a plain good dinner, couldn't be beat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet sophisticated fine diningBd1901Dined on 8/15/2014The Oak Room is a great place to go to celebrate a momentous occasion or to impress a date. The food quality is good but the menu is a little boring. The service is perfect - attention when you need it but out of the way throughout the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehBronxnyDined on 7/31/2014Had lunch here with wife and son since I received a 100$ gift certificate. Place was empty. The few other diners all seemed to be hotel guests who signed for their meal and ate here due to convenience. Our waiter seemed either new or else not very knowledgeable. Senior waiter seemed gruff and unfriendly. We were celebrating our sons birthday and told them about it via open table Rez but no one acknowledged the occasion. Perhaps dinner here with a more lively and crowded room would be more fun but I won't be back.Special Features:
- Big plates small Bland portionsFoodloverDined on 7/21/2014Bland food that's over priced. I have lived in San Francisco for 43 years and this was the biggest rip off I'd ever experienced. I have eated at some of the best restaurants in the city including some of the best hotel restaurants around the world. This was a rip off. Big Plates small bland portions that coast $142 for 3 people for lunch. I had soup and salad and my guests had soup and two club sandwiches. I would never have eaten here but I had a business meeting at the hotel. You are better off puting you money in the center of the table and burning it then going down the street to a decent coffee shop.
- MartyVIPDined on 7/1/2014Always enjoyable before going to the theater and food is good plus it's a quiet getaway right on union square.Special Features:
- A tradition going to seed...EverettDined on 6/30/2014This restaurant was once one of the finest in San Francisco, but their target traveler market has declined and that is reflected in the dining room. It is not pleasurable to eat ones dinner and have to look at a hairy man at the next table in a tank top. The service was good and the food acceptable.Special Features:
- 87 and counting ...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014For my mother-in-laws 87th birthday, we treated her to a show at the Curran in San Francisco and supper at the Westin St. Francis Oak Room. We were treated like royalty. The service was excellent. Everyone was very attentive. And the food was beyond perfect. I am a gourmet chef and have traveled extensively throughout the United States. I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in New York, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Hawaii (more than one island), San Diego, Seattle and Washington D.C. Our meal surpassed all others. I will definitely recommend the Oak Room to anyone who enjoys good food and I will highly recommend your online reservation service. Thank you for making the day special for a very special lady.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodhattrickDined on 6/27/2014We were pleasantly surprised. The food was very good. My wife had the salmon and I had the flat iron steak. The steak melted in your mouth. Service was very attentive. The r Restaurant is old school look. Dark wood etc I would highly recommend. OolSpecial Features:
- Bad FoodcampbellpDined on 6/20/2014We wanted the 3 course, glass of wine included, special dinner. It was not listed on either of the menus, both the ala carte and prix fixe. We asked our waiter for the menu for that dinner and he described for us. The food was NOT good. For example, the meat was tough, the crab chowder devoid of any crab flavor (though there were small pieces of what looked like crab), the Creme Brulee was the texture of grainy pudding. OTOH, our server was great, attentive, helpful, really outstanding. The hostess and entire wait staff were excellent. We got the strong impression the restaurant is designed for the tourists who stay at the hotel in which it's located, and not for San Francisco residents who might be return customers.
- The following 399 reviews are from the The Oak Room - The Westin St. Francis reviews archive.
- foodluvVIPDined on 5/17/2014Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the service was quite good. The ambiance is not spectacular, but ok for a hotel dining venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OLD CHARM DININGcharli53Dined on 5/14/2014The food and service staff were excellent. My companion made many requests and they were all met. The place was quiet ,making dinner very pleasant and relaxing. My steak dinner was cooked perfectly as requested and was accompanied by four differently cooked veggies. . Seldom do I get two veggies sides without being charged extra. I also enjoyed the old world quiet charm setting with all the wood work which may not be enjoyed by all. The wine list is adequate and affordable. The evening dinner turned out to be one of the most relaxing one I have had in many months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic, traditional San FranciscoGoldDined on 5/3/2014The Oak Room (previously The English Grill) has been a significant part of the Iconic St.Francis Hotel for decades. It provides the diner with an atmospheric which is elegant, quiet and traditional. The capacious oak beamed room is reminiscent of times past. The service is excellent. There is a lot of space between tables providing a high level of privacy. The menu is quite varied and not overwhelming. Most modern restaurants are noisy, crowded, trendy. The Oak Room is a delightful trip to an older, traditional and more genteel San franciscoSpecial Features:
- Just AveragenotimpressedDined on 4/25/2014The best thing about the Oak Room is the decor. The food was on par with a Longhorn Steakhouse...certainly nothing special. The price is far too high for the experience.
- Just another hotel restaurant...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/8/2014I would not recommend this restaurant. The atmosphere was fine but the food was not up to par considering the prices. It started with my request for iced tea. They brought a bottle of iced tea which was $5.50. Really? The Dungeness chowder was more like a vaguely cheese flavored potato soup. The prime rib was decent and the baby vegetables were good. But I had to go through two over-done baked potatoes before settling on mashed potatoes. Considering the meal was $58, it was not up to par. There are plenty of other places in the area that offer better food for the same prices.
- Quiet Dinner for TwoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014The food was actually very good (Lobster ravioli, Beef filet, French onion soup, Prime Rib + wine and dessert). The restaurant was nearly empty, so we had the undivided attention of the servers, but they weren't hovering at all just very attentive. It was very quiet and relaxing.Special Features:
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014We had our Valentine dinner at Oak Room, they made us wait 15 min because they were over booked and after 15 min they gave us our table. it took them 2 hours to bring our food and food wasn't so good either. we're not going back to this place.
- Food reviewSFFoodReviewerDined on 2/14/2014Oak Room is a nice setting but the service does not match the price and setting.Special Features:
- Good food and convenientAlwayshonestVIPDined on 1/27/2014I was staying in the St Francis and didn't really want to go out. I had the grilled pork chop w white bean ragout Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine About Town 2014FooDeeDined on 1/24/2014Great food (crabcakes and manicotti were delicious). Nice atmosphere. Waitress was kind enough to switch out the prixe fixe dessert because I was allergic to one of the ingredients (chocolate torte was yum!) BUT we were the last group of the night so they definitely hustled us out. In at nine pm out by ten fifteen? For a three course meal and coffee? Thanks but no thanks. I would give this place another try but earlier in the evening so I have time to enjoy the experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Not-So-Good ServiceNativeSanFranciscanDined on 1/18/2014We were looking forward to having a good meal with good service--the kind of service one would expect from a world-class hotel. We did NOT get that kind of service!!! Our waitress was an older woman who had a bad attitude. Every request was met with a look or a verbal response that said "you want what?! Why?!" Service was slow--although that could have been the kitchen's fault also. We noticed that the party that came in ahead of us did not receive their food any quicker than we did. Two of us had a good meal. The 3rd person found his short ribs over-cooked and tough, as were the "creamed kale" which wasn't "creamed" at all. The only time the waitress came by quickly was to present us with the check and to process the payment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came in for the Dine AboutJackielkVIPDined on 1/18/2014We came in for the Dine About Time and had to practically beg for that menu.
- Outstanding in every way!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/17/2014St Francis Hotel elegance. A calm, quiet, well-appointed dining room, with comfortable chairs for lingering. The service could not have been better if the wait staff attended only to us. The food was delivered timely, but without rush. The servings are generous, perfectly prepared, with high quality meat, seafood and veggies. A perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before Party & Good Datingjpd911Dined on 1/14/2014This place is were a group can meet to mingle or discuss things go on a nice date or aniversery. It is not for partying. The food is great and has wine and some drinks to order. Over all take a date there to talk go for dinner the food is great.Special Features:
- Lump crab salad was a niceElleDined on 1/1/2014Lump crab salad was a nice portion but not seasoned at all
- Over PricedOverRatedDined on 12/25/2013Cant believe we spent Christmas Dinner there...... Over rated, over priced and very little Christmas atmosphere! International group of 6 expected alot more for our money, seemed reasonable then they put on 18.5% tax and compulusary tip. Never recommend to anybody!
- Oak Room Holiday BuffetmadforfoodDined on 12/25/2013The buffet had a good number of selections available. The staff was friendly and attentive. They offered champagne to the guests as they waited for their table to become available. Most of the food however was unremarkable. It was presented nicely, however the flavor was rather bland. Two of us spent $250 on the meal so we expected more.
- Waiter basically ignored us.OzgirleatsDined on 12/25/2013We were in San Francisco for Christmas and chose the Oak Room for dinner. I felt a little disappointed that we had paid $125 for a buffet. The waiter was very average. He spent a lot of time on other tables and almost ignored us. I'm not sure if it was because we were tourists or because he just took a disliking to us. We felt very disappointed and left the suggested tip begrudgingly. Only 3 nights earlier in a different restaurant we gave a waitress a 30% tip for her amazing service. The best part of the evening at the Oak Room would have had to have been the pianist.
- Wonderful Christmas!ChristmasatStFrancisDined on 12/25/2013We booked the hotel main dinning restaurant mainly because we were staying in the hotel for the College football game. I made the reservation far in advance for Christmas Day Dinner with a very nice lady. Then the day before Christmas I learned we could have our football player with us for dinner, I went right to the Oak room and explained I needed to add a person and she was so helpful and made it happen. They were all so nice and what a classy time we had, food was wonderful, and we all had a special christmas at the Oak Room. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XMas DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/25/2013Many families were is SF for Christmas, but finding a good place to find a first-class restaurant for Christmas dinner can be challenging. The Oak Room provided a first-class, wonderful, and traditional Christmas dinner (with other well-prepared options as well), in an environment that fill with music and ready to feed excited (and well-mannered) children. The wine offerings are good and complementary of the meal. The fact that the Oak Room is part of the St. Francis Hotel (and across the street from Union Square) made it that more magical of a night. After dinner, we walked through the hotel, enjoyed the decorations (inside and outside), and then took the cable car for an enjoyable evening ride.Special Features:
- Nice Christmas DinnerJohnDined on 12/25/2013The Oak Room came through; very good hotel food and nicely done buffet, great service and good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Christmas Day Dinner!!annita22Dined on 12/25/2013The buffet was outstanding!! We could have eaten just from there, excellent selection f seafood, the crabs and salmon were delicious!!! Would deinitelly go back again! The ambience was exactly what we were looking for for a special day like Christmas: warm, selective, romantic tones, wood and velvet textures, really cosy and elegant atmosphere! Romantic and family friendly at the same time, like being invited to someone's house!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Day BuffettablarasaDined on 12/25/2013Food was excellent with good service. Tables were a bit close together, but otherwise an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEVER AGAIN!!!MARCIDined on 12/25/2013CHRISTMAS DINNER. THE FOOD WAS GOOD HOWEVER ...... EXTRA TABLES WERE CRAMMED INTO THE OAK ROOM AND DINERS AND STAFF WERE SHOVING AGAINST THE DINERS AND TABLES. IT WAS A VERY UNCOMFORTABLE EXPERIENCE. WE COULD NOT WAIT TO GET OUT OF THERE!
- Christmas dinner!WeekenderVIPDined on 12/24/2013We were staying at the Westin St. Francis and decided to have Christmas dinner at The Oak Room. We were seated about 20 minutes late, but I guess that is fine for Christmas eve. They had a 3 course Christmas dinner which we had. The entrees were good, and the steaks my 2 sons and I had were fine, but the pork chops my wife was very dry and overcooked.Special Features:
- A bad SF dining experienceKenBVIPDined on 12/24/2013Just bad... Food was over cooked and dry. Though that was not the worst part. Very poor service from timeliness to incorrect orders brought to table. The ultimate was one of the guests at our table ( party of 5) was hit in the head with a desert menu by the server. I mentioned my concerns to manager as our group was leaving and was told it was the customers fault for staying too long. Interesting as we were there about 45 minutes more than we wanted.
- Old world charmEllenVIPDined on 12/23/2013This is old San Francisco. You can almost feel the historySpecial Features:
- Historic hotelLisamarieDined on 12/21/2013We made a reservation based upon other people's reviews. We were very happy with the food which was fresh and full of flavor. We had the prime rib and salmon and both dishes were cooked to order and arrived hot. Service was good and the wine list is excellent. We will definitely go back when we are in the City.Special Features:
- Wonderful holiday tea!!!jmarieDined on 12/21/2013Every year a group of us get together for Christmas tea in San Francisco. This year we tried the Westin and were delighted. Half of our party was late, but they seated us anyway. Our server was incredibly attentive the entire time. Once everyone arrived we were served promptly. The food was wonderful, and additional sandwiches were offered which is pretty much unheard of. I've had tea at the Palace and the Fairmont, but the service at the Westin was really far superior. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asked to wait 15 minutesPillowtalker4Dined on 12/19/2013I had made reservations a few months ago asked to wait 15 minutes we arrived on time really not the seating I had requested after waiting kinda embarrassed I recommended this place cause we will go elsewhere next time.Special Features: