The Oak Room at the Granville Inn
314 East Broadway
Granville, OH 43023Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Oak Room at the Granville Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.granvilleinn.com/
- Phone: 7405873333
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 2:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad J. Lavely
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Granville Inn offers catering services, including formal served functions, buffets, informal boxed meals, drop off lunches, and full service dinners. Our creative culinary team will develop a special menu tailored to your event. Contact Banquet Manager Tim LePontois at 740-587-3333 x 251 or email@example.com for complete details and assistance.
- Private Party Facilities: The Granville Inn has multiple private dining options. For larger groups (20 to 200) celebrating special occasions such as weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, corporate events or business seminars, we offer the complete services of our Special Events Manager Tim LePontois and his team.
- Private Party Contact: Tim LePontois 7405873333x251
- Entertainment: Join us Monday evenings for solo guitar with Bob Piascik and on Wednesdays with jazz guitarist Tom Carroll. Craft Beer Thursdays feature Flo & Stan. Check our website for complete entertainment listings.
On the 1st & 3rd Wednesday of the month we host fun casual wine tastings, consisting of a themed flight. Chef Chad includes a tasty tidbit & all tasting bottles are available at state minimum with no corkage fee. Tasting hours for The Chef"s Table wine shop are 5-7 & throughout the restaurant, pub, patio, & biergarten 5-9.
Happy Hour:Mon-Thurs 4-6 $1 off all Bar Drinks
Follow us on Facebook or subscribe at www.granvilleinn.com for Speakeasy, High Tea, Wine Dinners & Special Events
- Special Events: Weathervane Cabaret Monday, June 17
Murder Mystery Dinner Friday, July 12
- Cross Street: Pearl St. (Route 661)
- Public Transit: May we suggest:
www.granvillecarriage.com - a horse and carriage for hire service for the village of Granville or
www.granvillebike.com-offering Half Day & Full Day Bike Rentals or Guided Tours-
Locally Owned & Guided by Experienced Cyclists-Free Bike Delivery to the Granville Inn
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Granville Inn has two immediately adjacent private parking lots. Our third private lot is just East of The College Town House, at the corner of Broadway and Granger. Public street parking available throughout the village. Bicycle parking is available in our storage garages. Please contact the hotel's front desk for further details.
A word from The Oak Room at the Granville Inn
The Oak Room at the Granville Inn is a nationally registered historic landmark & full service hotel. Established in 1924, it exemplifies the Arts & Crafts movement. Prominent architect Frank Packard included native sandstone, richly stained oak paneling, & English cottage influences. The contemporary American menu features seasonal ingredients & classic cooking techniques. Drawing upon his experiences at The Refectory, Aubergine, Handke’s & most recently, opening Chef of The Short Story Brasserie, Executive Chef Chad Lavely utilizes local produce, hand-cut steaks, seafood, artisan cheese , hand-crafted bread & house made desserts. Enjoy heritage cocktails in the cozy Acorn Pub, a local tradition, which features live jazz, wine, craft beers, seasonal drinks, happy hour & a wood burning fireplace. This comfortably upscale restaurant includes a biergarten & enclosed patio for al fresco dining on warm evenings and multiple private venues including The Chef’s Table -a boutique wine shop.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Oak Room at the Granville Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for outdoor dining (8)notable wine list (7)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great food in a historic locationtraveller1954Dined on 8/2/2014The food and setting were excellent. The bus-person was not attentive and left several dishes for many courses. At the end of the main meal, no effort was made to clean crumbs from the table. The restaurant was not exceptionally busy. Also the wait staff could have been more interested in our experience, but nothing horrible.Special Features:
- The Rebirth of an Old GembadexperienceDined on 7/31/2014I've been going here occasionally for over 60 years. The food and service has been good most of the times I've been there. The Inn was purchased in Fall 2013 by Denison University. They are closing August 3, 2014 for a much needed remodeling. A full rehab of the Inn (adding 10 rooms) and dining facilities. They will reopen April 2015. I am eager to return when they reopen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Granville charmKatsiekooVIPDined on 7/27/2014Our drinks were not as ordered but they were quickly whisked away and fresh ones brought which were perfect. The chopped salad was good but predictable. The sirloin steak was perfectly grilled with a hint of char on the outside and red-pink on the inside accompanied by fresh roasted fingerling potatoes. Wonderful! The side of veggies was not memorable and the French bread was stale. We ate on the porch overlooking a quiet Granville street and felt we had taken a step back in time. Charming. The wheelchair ramp which my husband needed was inconvenient and barely accessible, being on the other side of the hotel. The driveway to the ramp was difficult to access and exit. All in all though, a good experience and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for romancespidey61Dined on 7/26/2014A quaint place for couples to go for a romantic dinnerSpecial Features:
- One day getaway starts with BrunchEROSDined on 7/20/2014We started our Granville get-away day (from Columbus) at the Granville Inn for Sunday Brunch. we booked the night before, for right when it opened, and there was some others there but it was not busy. We started with bloody mary and mimosas, and the Apple Fritter basket with Carmel sauce which was great!! We had the house omelet with crab, and quiche. Both were really good, and portions were satisfying but no leftovers. Price was great, and such a cool place. We loved learning all about the Inn and the family that owned it. A gorgeous building too.Special Features:
- Old School DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014The restaurant is in a gorgeous building. The food is great and the building details and atmosphere add to the evening. The restaurant reminded me of dining at the Greenbrier.Special Features:
- Not as usualWOOZIEDined on 6/30/2014This was the first time in many visits that we were not happy with our experience. They service was poor due to under-staffing (as told by staff) and our food was not correct. We love the place and hope that the long remodel that is scheduled will not ruin it for us.Special Features:
- Great Place for Sunday Brunchlhs65Dined on 6/29/2014Have gone to the Granville Inn on many occasions but this was the first time for Sunday Brunch. Menu included a wide variety of specialties.Special Features:
- Great Building!WineguyVIPDined on 6/23/2014awesome old building that unfortunately has not been kept in good repair. I hear Denison University bought it and will be completing a year long renovation, which should truly make it special when they are complete! Wine list is excellent and includes several half bottles of good wines. Food is good but straight forward.Special Features:
- The following 265 reviews are from the The Oak Room at the Granville Inn reviews archive.
- DependableBobcatDined on 6/1/2014With new owners Dennison University, the Granville Inn has maintained, perhaps even improved in service and attentiveness. They continue to have a diverse and interesting menu, and, while not an exhaustive beer list, adequate, and an above average wine list. The ambience continues to be a strength and the site is unique in Columbus. In particular, I would recommend the calamari for appetizer. Just the right amount of tanginess in the sauce and an ample serving to share, with a reasonable price. The Oak Room at the Granville Inn can be counted on for a positive dining experience.Special Features:
- Just okayTrialAndErrorDined on 5/30/2014I really wanted to love this place. The Oak Room is beautiful, the service was grand, the wait staff was very attentive. Unfortunately, the food was not all that great. The $27 scallops were good but ordinary. The less than tender $27 pork steak was Way overpriced for what was received. The $9 calamari had a delightful sauce but was overcooked and chewy. The $10 Pub Club Sandwich with guacamole had such a thin layer of guac as to really be non-existent. The hot apple cake was scrumpious but the creme brûlée that the waiter raved about was not "like silk" as he stated but rather runny. Our $125 tab could have been better spent elsewhere.Special Features:
- one last time before remodelingBillDined on 5/20/2014Took our daughter out for her sweet 16 birthday on a Tuesday night, lovely place, great setting with quality food and great service. Shame it is closing for 9 month re-model.Special Features:
- The standards done wellTheSlacksDined on 5/19/2014We visited the Oak Room in May of 2014 to celebrate our anniversary. We live in Columbus and the drive out to Granville was worth the well made meal and charming ambience. The dining area is inside the Granville Inn, which is a quaint old hotel in downtown Granville. Our server was attentive and helpful. We would like to go back sometime and experience the small bar area and live music. We were seated in the dining room and had a nice view for people watching. We started with the calamari appetizer. The mix of peanut and mint was surprisingly tasty. My wife had the scallops and I had the steak diane. Both dishes were cooked to perfection and to specified level of temperature.Special Features:
- Tried and TrueBobcatDined on 5/16/2014The Oak Room in Granville is a one-of-a-kind venue, set in New England Granville. You have a formal dining room and dining in the bar area, the latter which is first-come-first-served. Their menu is adequate and appetizers ample, particularly the calamari, which is tasty and nice in texture. Service is friendly, but not entirely timely. Overall, this is a place that you can count on for a nice meal from visit to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- djsdiningtipsDined on 5/6/2014We had a wonderful visit to the Oak Room @ the Granville Inn. I had been wanting to go there for years and we were not disappointed. It was like stepping back in time. I had read many reviews about it being old and needing updating. That is not how you should judge this place. If you want new, go somewhere else! This is a charming restaurant. The service(thank you Dustin) was fantastic!! The food was presented in a beautiful manner and was delicious. The soups were particularly good. It was a wonderful afternoon and we plan to go back as soon as possible!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the pubBellaDined on 4/30/2014A perfect old New England style Inn. We love the ambiance of the bar, so cozy & friendly, the fireplace! ordered the fishNchips & a burger both are always very good.Special Features:
- Granville's BestHoppyVIPDined on 4/26/2014The historic Granville Inn makes for a very lovely setting for the Oak Room. Sorry to hear that it will be closed for 8 months and remodeled. Not sure why the crowd was sparse on a Saturday evening but we enjoyed the Steak Diane and a nice Chop Salad. The wine list is excellent. We will look forward to visiting again next year and hopefully find that things haven't changed too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunch at Granville innEricDined on 4/20/2014The quality of the food was very high! Selection was not vast but it was high-quality. That was the best salmon with cream sauce that ever had anywhere I just got back from an ocean trip!Special Features:
- Simply PerfectPartyof3Dined on 4/20/2014This was our first visit to Granville Inn although we had heard a lot of good things about it. We went for Easter brunch and were thrilled with everything... the food was outstanding, the service impeccable, and the facility beautiful. We WILL be back!!!Special Features:
- DAL 4/22/2014DAL1968Dined on 4/20/2014Granville Inn is one of Ohio's jewels. It always maintains a certain charm that adds much to its nostalgic value. The food is great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MuncherDined on 4/20/2014Attractive well stocked buffet with some delicious unique salad items. Items are replenished often to maintain the appearance and freshness. Nice variety of hot and cold items to select. Well trained staff is efficient and attentive to needs while dining as well as on the buffet. This was the Easter buffet brunch which definitely impressed my partner and I. We definitely are considering repeating the experience for Thanksgiving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent experienceJilly123Dined on 4/20/2014I enjoyed The Granville Inn for Easter Brunch. The atmosphere was very nice, like an elegant country home! However, the service was not as good as the restaurant itself. After the meal, we sat for about 20 minutes and then assumed we paid up front...then we were told that the waitress would bring our bill to the table,except that she never came to do that, and we had to track her down. Also, a week before, I called to add a few more people to the reservation, and the woman from The Inn told me "Oh, no we are completely full"...however, on Easter, there were extra chairs at our table, and the place was half empty! That was very odd. The Granville Inn really is beautiful, but the experience had many loose ends. Not sure if I will return.Special Features:
- Stunning 1920's Era BuildingWineguyVIPDined on 4/14/2014The building itself is gorgeous, being a 1920's era mansion in a quaint college town. The meal and service was fine but there were some drawbacks. The main dining room is very large and on this night, was not very crowded. Despite that, they sat us right next to several other parties. The table next to us was close enough that I didn't have room to get up from my chair without contorting myself to do so. No reason for this. They had heritage berkshire pork on the menu, which I've had before. In this case, it was way overcooked. A good chef would know that you don't overcook heritage pork. The creme brulee was highly recommended by the server but it was only average. Good place but don't buy into the crazy hype about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Friday Night SplurgeBethDined on 3/21/2014We recently enjoyed dinner with another couple in The Oak Room. Everything was just outstanding! Each of our four different entres (white fish, scallops, steak and duck) was cooked to taste and accompanied by delicious sides. And the beet salad and chop salad was a delicious way to start our meal. Our server assisted us to find just the right wine, both white and red, to accompany our dishes. And we didn't stop there! The coffee was superb after dinner, as was the Creme Brulee and Chocolate Mousse! Just a wonderful dinner all-around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining HistoryNuggetVIPDined on 3/20/2014The menu and the picture collages on adjoining walls of the Inn provide a historical prospective of the old Granville Inn. We never feel rushed when dining at this establishment. It's a perfect location for long conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choose the bar area to eatLeslieWDined on 2/25/2014Group of 6 went here mid-week. Loved cozy bar area! Main dining room stuffy and formal. Live music, blazing fireplace and comfy seating. Food was enjoyed by all, but nothing outstanding. Prices for Pub menu reasonable-Dinner menu varied and a little pricey. Service was good-not busy in bar/dining room. All in all, pleasant experience had by all but nothing outstanding. Would return for drinks and conversation, but good was just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningrpmjrDined on 2/22/2014We stayed over night and had dinner there. The steak I had was outstanding and my wife enjoyed her Sea Scallops. Service was outstanding. It is a place that we have enjoyed over the years and would highly recommend for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerTeeeDined on 2/21/2014The food was wonderful, the server was very attentive and made the evening special, the ambience was/is lovely. Our four-generation birthday party was indeed divine, and we enjoyed every minute of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodKarebearDined on 2/16/2014Hello! My sister and I dined there on Sunday night. I had the Salmon and it was DELICIOUS!! It melted in my mouth. The first few bites just melted in my mouth. My sister had the Steak Diane (?) and she said it was very delicious as well. It was a very nice experience. The waitress was very nice and helpful. Thanks for a nice evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old time elegance. Ate atKarenDined on 2/15/2014Old time elegance. Ate at Granville Inn for first time with my daughter this past weekend at a table for two. Waitress attentive but not over bearing. We could easily hear each other talk and did not feel impinged by other diners sitting around us. Our meals were excellent and cooked as requested. We talked at our table quite a while after eating and did not feel any pressure to leave. Dining here was a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not up to parlovemyminiDined on 2/14/2014I was expecting so much more. The Inn is very nice. We were seated right away. Waitress was attentive and helpful. The problem was with my steak. I will say they comped my meal, but that doesn't make the food any better. I asked for filet medium well. They asked if I wanted it butterflied and I said no. When it arrived, I was surprised at how the thin the cut of meat was, I'm used to big thick filets. The piece was so overcooked-it was grey and dry as a bone. I sent it back. It took them so long to get it back to me that my husband had totally finished his meal. When it came back the waitress said they had to butterfly it, it was only about 1/2", and it was so overcooked once again. I took it home to my dog.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal ever!timbum2Dined on 2/14/2014My fiance & I spent Valentine's dinner at the Granville Inn. The roast duck with blueberry chutney was the best meal I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and historicChipDined on 2/14/2014Nice meal, everything served at a nice pace. Our waitress was friendly and outgoing. The food was good. Next time maybe getting a room as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Great entrees and ambience, but the service could have been better. Had to ask for water refills and it took a very long time to get our actual food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Dinner at Granville InnmissmollyDined on 2/14/2014I absolutely loved the maple plank salmon on the crispy potato pancake and broccolini. My dinner companions were not as sold on their meals - the chicken sausage pasta dish and the scallop on mushroom hash dish. I would go back in a heartbeat for that salmon dish. The bread and the lobster bisque were also killer! I thought the $7 frisee salad was marginal, and a little difficult to eat. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed the evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With it being Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014With it being Valentine's Day, the kitchen was running a little slow. Our waiter took very good care of us while we waited. Great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Evening of EleganceTable42Dined on 2/14/2014What a wonderful Evening of Elegance shared with my very special someone at the Granville Inn. The Service was awesome, the food was excellent, and the overall ambiance left us with a night to remember forever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We often go thereBellaDined on 1/31/2014We chose to eat in the bar. Very cosy there, fire in the fireplace. It was a busy night I had duck. breast.. very good! partner had fish & chips... he usually gets their fish & chips! We split a Fedora salad, as usual. It's always yummy.Special Features:
- this was a special meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/13/2014this was a special meeting with executives from 2 Fortune 500 companies, I had requested a table that was situated so that business discusssions could occur. Everything was excellent and I received applause for my restaurant selection. My only improvement, and this is minor, there was live music in the bar which was mello music but occassionally distracting, I would have preferred a table further from the music. This was a Monday evening (typically a slower nite in restaurants) dinner so there were many other tables available. Despite that I still score Granville Inn with 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceSeriousFoodieDined on 12/30/2013The food and service were both exceptional. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.