The Nickel Taphouse
1604 Kelly Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21209Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Nickel Taphouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nickeltaphouse.com/
- Phone: (443) 869-6240
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4:00 pm - 11:00 pm,
Friday & Saturday 4:00 pm - 11:30 pm,
Sunday 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Danny Jacinto
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from The Nickel Taphouse
Contemporary American restaurant with an emphasis on locally farmed oysters, served on the half shell and roasted, along with wild gulf shrimp and sustainable seafood. We also serve locally grass fed beef and poultry. Our beverage menu is features 32 craft brews on tap, an extensive selection of craft spirits and cocktails, and a diverse wine list with 14 wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Nickel Taphouse - Best Restaurants in Mt. Washington ›
The Nickel Taphouse reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (72)fit for foodies (52)vibrant bar scene (39)hot spot (28)good for groups (21)late-night find (14)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (8)romantic (6)great for brunch (5)special occasion (4)Show More
- New favorite spot in Mt. WashingtonlaurenwDined on 11/22/2014This was my second visit to Nickel Taphouse and is now my go-to spot in Mt. Washington. The food was delicious (we shared buffalo brussel sprouts and provençale muscles; I had the steak frites with bernaise sauce) and the server was friendly and efficient. The concise menu offers a variety of choices to please any palate. Parking can be a bit of an issue, but there is valet service available for $5+tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brandon made it a great evening...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/21/2014While there was confusion regarding the time of our reservation....I made a 7:30 reservation, but the hostess said it came up as 6:30 on her screen. After showing the manager the confirmation on my email via my cell phone , Brandon really stepped up and hustled , on a busy Friday evening. He took a potentially aggravating situation, and was able to create a table for six for our party of six. The hostess was dismissing, and not very apologetic, but once I came into contact with Brandon, he understood, that we did in fact , hold a 7:30 reservation via Open Table. He sent over Brussels sprouts and French fries, on the house, and they were excellent. He checked on us, a few times, despite his being very busy the entire evening. I would go back, having happily already been there three times. Had he not stepped up, I would not consider going back there, as the hostess would benefit from some training in dealing with clients, when there is a potential problem, such as ours. The food was very good. I like the Chopped wedge, and the burger and fries are always good, as is the yummy Brussels sprouts...my friend liked his mussels,also. It is always loud, as are many restaurants with an active bar scene, and no carpet to buffer the customers . If you aren't looking for a quiet, romantic meal, it is the de rigor .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large Beer SelectionOldschoolfoodieDined on 11/15/2014great beer, Bar nuts and Roasted Oysters to start with. Very good snacks and the works burgers was good and it seem to be the most popular. A new favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014We ate here on a busy Friday night, happy to have secured a table. First, it's a great looking restaurant. We arrived early and had a drink at the bar - we thought the barrels with the votives to stand around were a clever idea. The replaced lights overhanging the bar were super cool. Once we sat, service was efficient and super friendly. We had burgers and a vegetarian dish - everything was very tasty, well prepared. The sweet and spicy chick pea appetizer was EXCELLENT. We enjoyed ourselves; haven't been in a while. Look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- finally a place sticking around mt washingtonyummyDined on 11/13/2014their beef on weck is SO good. It consistently doesn't disappoint. We were in a rush with something to do afterwards so we dined and ran out. they have a great beer selection. I wish their happy hour prices and hours were not a secret.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced and limited menuAwfulDined on 11/11/2014This is not the place to go for conversation. The nose level is extreme. The appetizers are great. The selection of entrees is limited. This is a very expensive local restaurant. Nothing comes with $12 burger except a little cole slaw. Service was fine and beer selection is excellent.Special Features:
- Poor service and fair foodWeeatgoodfoodDined on 11/8/2014We have eaten at nt a bunch of Times because we always have a great time and good food. We brought friends this past time and the service was horrible. The food was fair. It was a lot busier in there, more than we have seen, and I'm not sure if that is why. Regardless, they need to figure out how to provide the same Great service even when busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks and good foodWK1fanVIPDined on 11/7/2014First impressions are important and the hostess was a disappointment. She was not friendly (at least not to us), maybe it was because we asked to moved to a different table when we arrived and she sent an emphatic "NO" to us through the other hostess. More importantly, our waitress Jess was outstanding ,the food was good, and the craft cocktails were outstanding. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Off NightAverageJoeVIPDined on 11/5/2014I've been to the Taphouse several times and have had good experiences in the past. Not so this time. Our server was unacceptably inattentive. After receiving a beer sample (a nice perk) which itself took a long time, the server did not return for more than 15 minutes to see whether I actually wanted to order a beer. I was at the table 30 full minutes before my first beer arrived (at a Taphouse). The main course arrived while we were still having soup, our food got cold waiting for the server to bring the forks she promised, and we never did receive the fries we ordered. The food was very good and I really like the atmosphere.Special Features:
- BignassDined on 11/1/2014My first time visit to this restaurant at the suggestion of a friend who lives in Baltimore area and it was a delightful experience. Great food and terrific service; we enjoyed lunch at the bar and it was simply wonderful. I will definitely return to Nickel Taphouse again and bring the kids to enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Not Go BackezrasmomVIPDined on 10/31/2014We made a reservation and shown to a comfy booth right away. Our comfy booth was by the front door on a cold night. Everytime the door opened we got a chill. Our server came by to take our drink order and vanished for a long while after. When she did come back I asked a menu question that took her away for another long while. When she finally showed we gave our dinner order. The salad that is prepared tableside was not crisp. One small serving of dressing came on the side. I asked for another dressing. I was told I'll be right back she never came back. I stopped the hostess and she brought out my dressing. Dinner was delivered by a runner. My meal was cold fatty and undercooked. Bad night bad server bad food. We won't be back.Special Features:
- MarleeDined on 10/31/2014For some reason, we were put all the way in the back, even though we passed many empty tables like ours.Special Features:
- Delicious Again!MarissaDined on 10/29/2014This was my second time at Nickel Taphouse and instead of their entree fare, I decided to try a burger. It was fantastic - not too big, but very tasty - mine had cheddar and gruyere on it. So good! We also got fries for the table and they are crispy and tasty and a perfect compliment to a burger and a drink. The beer list is great, but this time I opted for a cocktail and it was great. Service was fine - not excellent, but fine. The atmosphere is great for a weeknight dinner with friends and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service falls short.RMSWDined on 10/28/2014The food and beer selection are great but the service seemed unorganized. It wasn't busy when my wife and I went in for dinner but my wife's order was wrong (although fixed relatively quickly) and we ate most of our meals with empty glasses. We were never even offered a second drink. A second waitress seemed to " take over" at one point but I'm not sure why. We overheard customers behind us complaining about an incorrect order as well. We hope it was a off night for the service and would probably give them another chance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014My fiance and I went on a Saturday night to celebrate my new job. We had a reservation for 7:30, but for some reason, the restaurant had us at 7. We were seated after a 15 minute wait or so. It was very busy and loud, but once we were seated we were able to converse without a problem. Our waiter was efficient and polite, and made good suggestions. The food was good. I had a grilled cheese sandwich with vegetables that was awesome. Oysters were good. Extensive beer and wine menu. The cocktail I had was unique and delicious. We very much enjoyed our experience.Special Features:
- A Mt. Washington SceneDelectableVIPDined on 10/25/2014Going for dinner on a Sat. means a lot of noise, an overflowing bar scene with young drinkers talking and laughing 3 feet from most tables. The food is good enough for light fare but the servers are overworked and the dishes can straggle in at different times. It is all very friendly and welcoming, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep hopingthelocaldinerDined on 10/15/2014As this is a neighborhood spot, within walking distance, I really want to love it. This is my 6th visit and not my worst experience but not my best either. Management seems to change monthly which can't be helping. The menu has improved since opening, there are a few stellar items like the tuna app and the mussels. The salmon entree was HUGE but mostly flavorless and came with VERY crunchy green beans (almost raw) and nothing else. The other two entrees were pretty good, the ice cold mashed potatoes that came with the ribs were odd, they were billed as potato salad? None of us felt like we would rush back for any of the entrees. Salads are $$$ all $13-14 except for a side salad. Service was friendly and responsive. Atmosphere is great.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/12/2014Our 3rd time here for the beef on weck. Good sandwich but still wishing they would offer a choice of rare or med. rare beef & serve it on a proper kemmelweck roll. Service was a bit slow towards the end of the meal when the restaurant filled up but we were not in a hurry. Still don't like waiting for a check.Special Features:
- Great place to eatBrobDined on 10/10/2014The fried chicken entree was so fabulous. Barbecue ribs cooked so the meat fell off the bone. A highlight of the meal was an order of the French fries served with an aioli dipping sauce that our table of four shared as an appetizer. There were plenty for all. Wonderful atmosphere and great server. Highly recommend this place..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great beer selections, yummy snacksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Met a friend at the Taphouse to watch an Orioles game, and we sampled the many beer choices over the course of several hours on a Friday evening. We also ordered snacks, all tasty, but I especially enjoyed the Buffalo Brussels Sprouts. I was surprised that the place was not more crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service!KT16Dined on 10/6/2014Dined here and had the beef sandwich, delicious! Service was great, food was good and the atmosphere was very nice. Will certainly be coming back again. Very good beer list as well!!Special Features:
- Cool placeMMilesVIPDined on 10/4/2014Looking for a last minute dinner on a Saturday night, we decided to try Nickel Taphouse. I desperately wanted a burger and this seemed like our best option. The food rocked, but I wouldn't go back for a burger because everything else looked so delicious! I wanted to try some of the raw oyster/seafood dishes but my companion was not feeling adventurous enough to try them. The burger, however, was fantastic! Even the bun (which I consider to be a throw-away ingredient that many restaurants don't take time to think about) was awesome! The fries are a must-order as well. The drink I ordered was okay, very strong. Normally I would've finished it, but I wasn't feeling up to it this time. The atmosphere is cool and trendy. We will return!Special Features:
- Way too noisy!NancyRDined on 10/3/2014Impossible to hold a conversation when crowded. A few basics would be nice on the menu for those of us who still enjoy some simple food. Fabulous French fries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In short: excellentGuitarManDined on 10/1/2014We arrived on a Wednesday evening without a reservation to find numerous tables open. However, the hostess informed us they were understaffed that night, which meant we may have a wait ahead of us. We grabbed a drink at the bar, but before we had drinks in hand, our table was ready. As we were seated, the hostess apologized again for being short-staffed. We shared the Deviled Eggs with Bacon Jam and the Buffalo Brussels Sprouts. Both were excellent. We each ordered the Purist Burger, and it was delicious. Love the Nickel Sauce. And the House Slaw & Pickles was fantastic. We shared a Creme Brulee milkshake for dessert, which was heavily spiked with St. Elmo's Fire Whiskey. Highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Maybe an Off Night??foodyVIPDined on 9/26/2014We went with 2 other couples and most were disappointed with their meal. We've eaten at NTH once before and loved it so maybe it was an off night. I had the cat fish which was bland, my wife had the raw tuna poke which had so much garlic or other spice that you couldn't really taste the tuna. A friend of ours had the beef weck which he said was so tough and grisly he had a hard time chewing it. On the plus side, the bbq brussel sprouts were great as were the oysters.
- Hamburger heavenJfixVIPDined on 9/26/2014These are the best burgers in Baltimore. this is the first place that my son said their burgers are better than mine. Unfortunately I have to agree. Although they other things on their menu that look good, I can't get anything but the burger. It's all about that burger!Special Features:
- Seems like it should be better.....Luv2GDined on 9/26/2014I go here often and will return I am sure. But I am always less enthralled when leaving. The salads made at table-side are good (make sure monitor amount of dressing), the steak frites (and fries in general) are really good, and burgers are tasty. Rest of menu tries to overwhelm but think the chef gets to fancy. Had ribs the other night. Beautifully presented, stacked high cross-crossed on a wooden plank. But too much b-b-qued sauce, too sweet and sticky, ribs were tough. Service is pleasant but always very inattentive. Good beer. I say this is good neighborhood place for very casual meal when planning last minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and FunAnb0lmerDined on 9/21/2014I had a great time once again at the Nickel Taphouse, celebrating my husband's birthday and my parents' 34th anniversary. Service was excellent and the food was just delicious. Our group enjoyed a quinoa and couscous salad (definitely enough to share), roasted oysters (casino and rockefeller), burgers, and the grilled cheese with veggies. All were superb. My only complaint is that the kitchen was very slow with our entrees- evidently they were slowed down by a large group earlier in the evening, which you'd think they would plan for. Otherwise we had a great experience and definitely plan to return. A little kitchen slowness certainly won't keep me from coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/20/2014This is the first bad experience that I've had at the Nickel Taphouse. Every other time that I've been there (at least 10 times), it's been on a weekday...this was the first time I went on a Saturday. We were seated at 8:30 for an 8:15 reservation. Once we were seated, it took 15-20 minutes for a waiter to show up, then after we ordered, it took 30-40 minutes for the food to arrive. At that point, 4 appetizers and 3 main courses showed up at our table simultaneously. The waiters were literally bumping into each other, and at one point, a tray of food or plates hit the floor. They seemed completely disorganized. The food was good though. One specific criticism is that they consistently overcook their fries.Special Features:
- Good first visit, we'll be back!TeapotstellaDined on 9/19/2014Great bar, nice cocktail menu. We had the signature Beef on Weck and the awesome Buffalo Brussels Sprouts. Salads are huge (entree size, or easily enough for two or three as starters) and dressed/tossed table side.Special Features:
- toughcustomersDined on 9/18/2014We had returned for a quick meal after a long hiatus because the last time we were there (about when they first opened) the noise level was too high to hear each other. This time it was much better and I hope it remains somewhat lower. I'm not against music with dinner, its just that dinner is a good place to not only enjoy food but to also enjoy each other's company. Foodwise, the brussel sprouts, salad and hamburger were outstanding. My husband was not quite as excited about his BLT - the bacon seemed to be deep-fried and not particularly special. The restaurant is beautiful and comfortable, and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- NOT GOING BACKOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014We had reservations for four people on a Sat. Night. We were seated immediately despite a crowded room. The noise level was so high that the server had to yell and come to each side of the table to hear orders. The server was very good, especially considering she seemed to have most of the tables in the bar room. Drinks were fine and arrived in a reasonable time. The buffalo Brussels sprouts , that other reviewers recommended, were tasty but greasy. Two of us ordered the fried chicken. It was horrible. First the chicken was raw (red) on the inside and looked like it had been coated in old roof shingles. The coating was not crisp but rock. The other two had hamburgers which were, well, hamburgers. Beer and burgers joint only.Special Features:
- Disappointing menuSaladDays7VIPDined on 9/13/2014Surprised not to see a side salad offered at this restaurant! And with all the seafood they offer, no crab cakes either. I ended up with a main-course salad at $14.00 (it was very large but the dressing was tasteless). I wanted something to go along with it and was stunned at the $8.50 over-priced Brussels Sprouts (I asked for a half-order but "not allowed to do that"), and ordered it anyway (over-cooked and a bit greasy). Sorry my review couldn't be more positive since it's a close-by restaurant. Will I go back? Sadly, no.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014I've been to Nickel Taphouse twice before this last time. Both of those times, I loved the food and service, but this time was very different. Our server was not particularly knowledgeable or friendly. The food was not nearly as good as in the past (same menu items) and the server did not bother to ask why we hadn't finished everything or how we were enjoying our food. I won't go back and I won't recommend this restaurant to people in the future.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014A casual, energetic and delicious dining spot. Service was efficient and thoughtful. Cole made excellent recommendations. Must tries include, buffalo brussel sprouts and the tuna poke. Don't forget to try a craft cocktail, they are all amazing. The table side salads were a nice touch to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014Service attentive and food was tasty. On Saturday night it was packed. valet parking is a plus.Special Features:
- neighborhood new placenathan10VIPDined on 9/5/2014We found that having valet parking was the first plus. The place was very busy and seems to draw a young as well as older crowd. We had good service and found the food to be good. We have no compaints and will find ourselves there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood placeMBHBmoreVIPDined on 8/31/2014Nickel Taphouse has decent food and good drinks, but the service is unbelievably slow. We ordered drinks, waited forever for them, all the while watching many people behind the bar just hanging out. Dinner took even longer, and it's not like we ordered anything fancy--sandwiches. We also watched the people next to use--a family with 3 kids--get their meals in shifts--2 at a time. Wold have been impossible for all 6 of them to have their dinner together. The restaurant was not full, wasn't as packed as it usually is. No real excuse for the many times that night that we heard servers telling their tables that they apologized for the wait because the kitchen got overwhelmed.Special Features:
- Very disappointing Sunday dinnerTowsondinersVIPDined on 8/31/2014We ate at The Nickel Taphouse on a Sunday and the restaurant had already run out of many dinners ("no steak, lamb or fish"). The worst part was that the waiter told us this AFTER we were served our drinks. So we ordered hamburgers, and the kids ordered pasta. Manager then came over about 15 minutes later to tell us there was no pasta. Kids ordered other dishes. Then they said they did have pasta, so the kids went back to pasta. All the dinner food came out at different times, cheeseburger did not have cheese, the whole dinner was kind of ruined. They comp'ed the kids meal pastas, but big deal. I would not eat here again until it's been open for a long time and they work out the food supply issues. The food was also only okay.
- Good food but service lackingLadyDoc1VIPDined on 8/31/2014We were looking forward to eating here again as last time it was an amazing experience. This time however, it was a different story. When we ordered, they told us they out of steak and provolone cheese. It took a long time to get our food, which was different from our first experience. It then took another 15 minutes to get catch up and the french fries which we ordered at the beginning of the meal. Also, we had our teenage daughter and her grandmother there, and they could barely hear anything we said because the noise level was so loud. And to top it off, they forgot the cheese on my turkey burger and gave me a bun even though I didn't not want one. I think they were having a rough night!Special Features: