The New Public House & Hotel
239 Sunset Dr.
Blowing Rock, NC 28605Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The New Public House & Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thenewpublichouse.com/
- Phone: 8282953487x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Every Day for Breakfast, 8-11AM
Open Tuesday - Sunday for Dinner, 3-9PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Foreman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The New Public House & Hotel
Welcome to The New Public House and Hotel located in historic Downtown Blowing Rock. Our food is Southern inspired entrees and small plates, complimented by an impressive selection of local ales, fine wines and seasonal cocktails. Pork Loin Chop, Beef Tenderloin, Shrimp & Grits, Mountain Trout, and Oyster Stew highlight the menu. Light items include seasonal sandwiches, soups, and salads as well as Dirty South Wings, Okra Fritters, and Green Chile Mac & Cheese.Continued
>> Also serving Breakfast 7 days a week featuring Eggs Benedict, Omelette du Jour, Pancakes, and more classic breakfast offerings.
>> Also serving Breakfast 7 days a week featuring Eggs Benedict, Omelette du Jour, Pancakes, and more classic breakfast offerings.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The New Public House & Hotel - Best Restaurants in Blowing Rock ›
The New Public House & Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (60)special occasion (36)romantic (26)notable wine list (24)great for outdoor dining (23)good for groups (20)great for brunch (10)hot spot (7)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014Not enough servers wed night long wait. Server worked as fast as she could. Also we had a very hard time getting out of parking lot. Cars on each side did not pull up far enough. It took two of us standing in the rain directing driver. Very very close. Food was WONDERFUL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmosphereKarenDined on 10/12/2014The food was interesting; something for everyone;Great small plates as well as entrees. It's relaxed, w an upbeat vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Interesting dishes. I missed their mushroom appetizer that I had in the summer. I would like to see a few more small dishes! Wish they would have a Sunday Brunch from like 10:00 to 2:00!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable..Kpw001VIPDined on 10/10/2014We went to celebrate our Anniversary. We started with the blue potatoes and they were delicious. For our entrees I had the trout and my husband had the shrimp and grits. Both dishes were wonderful. We had the pineapple bread pudding with caramel salted ice cream for dessert and it was yummy. We will be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/10/2014Food presentation was excellent and tasteful. Oyster stew tended to be a little thin, but shrimp and grits were excellent and were among the best I have had.Special Features:
- Great Food All Three MealsdineallthetimeDined on 10/7/2014The breakfast is excellent and menu changes a little every day. The lunch/dinner menu is simple but the food is great. I had the trout and have never had fish any better. My wife had the grilled chicken and I tried it, it was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceeatingoutDined on 10/5/2014This was the first time we've eaten here, but we will be back. The food was delicious, and the ambiance was delightful. Our waitperson was very helpful and a pleasure to chat with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with familyJenerRussDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful, enthusiastic, very knowledgeable server- on the down side- didn't make a very big deal- or really even acknowledge special 50th bday- but other than that- superSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014Terrific food- chef Forman is extremely creative- menu extremely reasonably priced with several choices and nightlyspecials. wine list adequate. Will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Covers All GroupsIrishFoodieDined on 9/19/2014I return for the tenderloin Buttermilk mashed potatoes time after time. The service is good & sometimes great. The shrimp and grits superb. Used to be B&B w/ dining as secondary. Though The New has reached her pinnacle of dining. the chef is not intimidated or offended by some substitutions now and then. Good for me and my plain tastes. Though the rest of our party love everything on the menu. When the dining room is full it is extremely loud. Atmosphere is otherwise quaint but if you want to have a conversation while dining, go early. The wine list is good but could expand especially where sparkling wines (Bubbly) are concerned. Not sure why restaurants do not carry a FULL line of a dozen or so splits of Champagne or Sparkling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be back.HollyHobbyDined on 9/13/2014This was the second time I had tried this restaurant and have been disappointed both times. We won't be back. Our waiter wasn't very knowledgable and kept apologizing. Food was so so but not worth the price.
- culinary adventureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful place to dine. Everything from tapas to entrees. Nice wine list, and fully stocked bar area with comfortable seating areas where groups may gather. Have been there many times and would recommend it to anyone. However it is more for adults than children. There is no children's menu that we have seen. Nice wine list. We have never stayed there but understand it is a nice place to stay in the heart of the Blowing Rock action.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not as great as last timetybeefoodieDined on 9/7/2014We loved the New Public House when we ate there earlier in the summer. The menu has changed and I'm not sure it is an improvement. It seems the staff are tweaking the offerings. The menu is not quite there yet as there are some winners and a few losers. Everyone in our party loved their filets and the trout but the seafood cassoulet left something to be desired. It did not look appetizing to any of us. It wasn't up to standards and we would not order it again. This was disappointing as we had raved about the restaurant to our guests. We hope the New Public House will get the things worked out as we would like for the restaurant to be a success and find the quiet atmosphere nice for carrying on a conversation with other dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, go!BrownEyedGirlDined on 9/6/2014I knew the restaurant that was here prior, and I love what they have done with the space, it is open, beautiful, and a great place for a couples night out or a simple girls night. Our table had the house salad with chicken, another with filet, and a burger with pimento. Everyone enjoyed their food. They made a simple salad into a gourmet meal. Worth it. After all that lettuce, dessert was needed! We had the cheesecake, pound cake and torte. All great but I favored the cheesecake which is a big deal for this chocolate lover. Overall, I'd go again. I saw my neighbors with the filet mignon dinner, will try that next!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TksmithDined on 9/5/2014Don't miss this place. Shrimp and grits are out of this worldSpecial Features:
- Not so goodPumpkinDined on 8/31/2014I have written glowing reviews about the Public House in the past but we had our 4th dinner there and it wasn't too great. I would say it was an off night but it's the second time I got a soggy lettuce salad! It's like they just had washed it and half spun it out. It was early-only 7 pm. Pretty easy to do right so I'll complain-prep your lettuce people! My husband ordered the Grilled Rosemary Chicken-he got too heavily marinated boneless, skinless breasts, lots of rosemary and black grill marks-a few! Thot they marinaded in Italian dressing-totally too salty! I could have bought frozen at Costco!
- The NewDinerDined on 8/31/2014Somewhat interesting menu and reasonably priced. The fried green tomato wedges too hard to be in wedges- sliced would be better but the crust was good. The flank steak was a bit tough so I wouldn't order it again- the flavor was good though and the accompaniment were interesting and tasty. Dessert was fab! All in all I would return again and do recommend this to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new public house ---- quite a hit!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014We were sad to lose Crippen's, but are ecstatic with its replaceme! It is superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best for drinks and appetizersgagibsonDined on 8/30/2014The appetizers ("Bites") and imaginative cocktails are the stars here.Special Features:
- Food great, service was a problemCrystalConnoisseurDined on 8/30/2014Food was excellent. The house bacon app was yummy, although I prefer my bacon crispy rather than chewy. My son's House Salad with house smoked pork was absolutely excellent. I had the flank steak special, also excellent. Side of mushroom/lentil & braised escarole also delicious. Caesar salad--a bit too sour, but loved the whole anchovies on top. The problem was the service. The server (female) was young & surly from the start--no smile, just vague & bored like so many 20 somethings these days seem to be. I told her to bring my son's entree salad at the same time as my entree, but my salad and entree showed up at the same time as his entree salad. Not cool. Her attitude following this was terrible. But got 10% off for next time.Special Features:
- Expected morePaddymacVIPDined on 8/29/2014We were a bit disappointed with our experience at the New Public House restaurant. We feel the basics are in place, but it doesn't take the extra step needed to make it a great dining experience. The entree's were very good, my husband had the bison meatloaf and I had the trout. The portions were average. The menu is all ala carte. They do not include any bread or even a small house salad, and that is what we felt was needed. With so many really good restaurants in Blowing Rock, they fell short, when all it would take would be to add the extra touches needed.
- ELCEasyedDined on 8/28/2014Great ambiance. Interesting, unique, tasty food combinations. Pleasant staff and excellent wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MustMikeVIPDined on 8/28/2014This is now the best restaurant in Blowing Rock. Great menu. Fantastic chef.Special Features:
- SnowmanDined on 8/26/2014The menu did not appeal to me, but I have eaten dinner earlier this summer and it was good
- Birthday DinnerBirthday1Dined on 8/23/2014Had my daughters eighteen birthday here. The food was good and the service was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Chef Michael Forman is obviously a well- trained chef. The lobster flatbread appetizer special was nothing short of amazing with soft crust, feta cheese, tomatoes, other vegetables. The shrimp and grits was a gourmet version of a traditional NC favorite as was the mountain trout. Prices were extremely reasonable especially given the quality. The wine list was limited, but glasses were substantial and prices also low. Only downside was a somewhat limited menu but still something for everyone. A real find in an area with overpriced and mediocre restaurants. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a hit!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014I have eaten twice this summer at The New Public House - for breakfast and for dinner. Both meals were outstanding! The morning grits were creamy and to die for; the eggs perfectly cooked. Our dinner was superb - inventive entrees (we all got something different, and we were each impressed). I would HIGHLY recommend this - drinks on the porch first is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visitoffthemtnDined on 8/17/2014this was my second visit. first was breakfast and was very impressed. Second was dinner and still impressed. The menu changed recently from what was on line and that created some different choices but still satisfied. Waitress seemed new and timid. I learned more about dish choices listening and watching other tables and their waiters. Overall, I was very pleased with the dinner. talked about it at work the next day so it had to impress. Atmosphere is ok. chairs seem a bit low for the tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new fave spot in Blowing Rock!WendyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Such a terrific menu. Very creative take on otherwise simple food. Simple in a good way, not base. Loved my meal and everyone in my group enjoyed theirs. Will definitely recommend and return. The portions are large, plenty to take home for lunch the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu!johnJVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great dinner with 5 friends. Unmatched service from our knowledgeable waitress. Excelent help with selecting our wine and navigating a new menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageParnacDined on 8/12/2014Price/Value is not up to par. Along way from Gideon Ridge performance.
- Second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014I love what they've done in converting the former Crippen's. Food has been very good, but maybe a overreaches a little trying to create too many different unique small plate items and sides served with the entrees. Service staff is obviously trained by someone who knows how to run a casually classy place. We'll keep going back.Special Features:
- DinnerCharlottevisitorDined on 8/9/2014Tenderloin was cooked to order but apparently marinated in something super salty. Got enough sodium for a week! Couldn't even finish eating it. But mashed potatoes were very good. Friends scallop and lobster hotpot was just mediocre. Other friend's salad was okay. All the servers were very nice and competent. But sorry to say we will not be back.
- great food but a few glitchesdavidDined on 8/8/2014We will be back to see if the next time everything will be perfect. We ordered a salad with our meal, but it never came. My meal, served on naan, was served in a bowl, which made cutting a bit difficult , but it was delicious. The trout dish was wonderful, and the fish fry goodt. They did comp us a desert as they forgot the salad, but the biscuit on one was burnt and the pound cake on mine was toasted to the point it was too hard to cut with the spoon they gave me. The taste was good though. Our waitress seemed stressed and when asked for a carafe of water for the table, needed a couple of reminders to actually bring it and then she took it away during dinner again. Overall, the food was good and we will be back for a second try.Special Features:
- 5th visit- won't be disappointed!PumpkinDined on 8/7/2014We love this place. The chef here also supervises the other two restaurants they own- G at Gideon Ridge and Bistro Roca. But he is physically here at this restaurant; this is the best of the three although Roca is a close second! The atmosphere and ambience is good; no views of mountains and all; the restaurant is on a side street in town but if you just want great food and wine at a reasonable price, go here! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat findFoodieDined on 8/3/2014Food great. Service exceptional. Beautiful environment and comfortable diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealbonjonesDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I each had one of the two specials for the evening. They were both outstanding and we enjoyed them both. Our server was knowledgeable and if she didn't know the answer, was happy to ask the chef. Our cocktails were made perfectly so all in all, our experience was most enjoyable. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Enjoyable mealKpw001VIPDined on 8/2/2014We ordered the trout which was very good. Others from our group ordered the pork chop and chicken dish and both said their dishes were excellent. We had the peaches and biscuit for dessert. the biscuit tasted like a donut and was very tasty. The only complaint is the yellow peaches were good however, the white peaches were crunchy and not quite ripe. we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!TracyDined on 8/1/2014We had a great dinner at The New Public House. Our waitress, Morgan, was attentive and very knowledgeable. The food was delicious!! A friend recommended it and we would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cozy spot to enjoy a delicious meal.Special Features:
- New Public House is a winnerPhillyvisitorVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great meal at New. Service was terrific, our server made some great recommendations. Food selections are always diverse. We ordered 2 of the specials and they were awesome. The pimento cheese spread is terrific. The atmosphere is so nice. Another great meal and dining experience.Special Features: