The New Public House & Hotel
239 Sunset Dr.
Blowing Rock, NC 28605Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The New Public House & Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thenewpublichouse.com/
- Phone: (828) 295-3487
- Hours of Operation:
Open Every Day for Breakfast, 8-11AM
Open Tuesday - Sunday for Dinner, 3-9PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Foreman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The New Public House & Hotel
Welcome to The New Public House and Hotel located in historic Downtown Blowing Rock. Our food is Southern inspired entrees and small plates, complimented by an impressive selection of local ales, fine wines and seasonal cocktails. Pork Loin Chop, Beef Tenderloin, Shrimp & Grits, Mountain Trout, and Oyster Stew highlight the menu. Light items include seasonal sandwiches, soups, and salads as well as Dirty South Wings, Okra Fritters, and Green Chile Mac & Cheese.Continued
>> Also serving Breakfast 7 days a week featuring Eggs Benedict, Omelette du Jour, Pancakes, and more classic breakfast offerings.
>> Also serving Breakfast 7 days a week featuring Eggs Benedict, Omelette du Jour, Pancakes, and more classic breakfast offerings.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The New Public House & Hotel - Best Restaurants in Blowing Rock ›
The New Public House & Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (53)special occasion (31)good for groups (20)romantic (20)notable wine list (17)great for brunch (15)great for outdoor dining (12)hot spot (7)great for lunch (6)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Excellent Small Plates!DanielDined on 11/22/2014We always made certain we visited Crippen's when in Blowing Rock. The Public has done an excellent job replacing our favorite !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TSQTsquaredblueDined on 11/8/2014Great new find in Blowing Rock, terrific interior design, very cozy and comfortable. One of the best oyster stews I have ever had. The food was very good. Of the four appetizers and entrees, one of the entrees was not up to par the remainder of the entrees which were terrific. The server and chef took the proper steps to remedy that issue. I would recommend this to any of my "foodie" friends visiting Blowing Rock.Special Features:
- Local FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014My husband & I have been several times and it is one of our favorite places to eat. We love the way they change menus seasonally and actually look forward to when that happens. Their menu is fun and interesting. My complaint for this latest visit was that my pasta was tough and dense. The waitress could have described this entree better too. I probably would have ordered differently had I understood what it was. My husband had a sandwich I've had in the past & absolutely loved. It was not as good this time & when another friend at our table ordered the same thing, hers was visibly different than his. I think something was simply left off. Overall, I've spent my money much more poorly on a number of occasions. We'll try again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Public House in Blowing RockOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014The New Public House is somewhat new to Blowing Rock. Formerly known as Crippens, the new restaurant offered a fine dining experience but with reasonable prices. Menu somewhat limited but the food was prepared to order, the serving size was adequate and very tasty. Decent pour on the wine. Tables for two are on top of each other so difficult having a private conversation. Service is hit or miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Public HouseSusanDined on 10/31/2014Wonderful service. Great food choices. The menu had enough of the different to satisfy a foodie but had great choices if you are not into different. Also had a great Tappas selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some Good - Some NotJohnIDined on 10/31/2014Our experience was mixed. The new small bar was excellent - well crafted Manhattans. The staff and general manager were very welcoming. Our appetizers were excellent. Marinated chicken wings (not pub style) - fantastic. And, we sampled home style pickles - also outstanding. Our two entre dishes were Trout on a Grits base and Roasted Chicken (half chicken). Unfortunately. the chicken was over cooked and extremely dry. The GM, handled the misque well and brought out two small saute'd chicken breast replacements that were moist although ordinary. Our Trout dish was average in taste and the grits bed was a bit watery - not so flavorful. I chock this up to a bit of bad performance but would try this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Fun dinnerBuckDined on 10/24/2014We weren't sure about having dinner here because it was touted as a "tapas" restaurant. We were thrilled with the variety of selections and the prices were more than reasonable...and the amount of food served was generous! We will definitely be back to The New Public house...and often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfast, weak coffee.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/19/2014Had breakfast here while on an overnight in Blowing Rock. Very pretty atmosphere, great service, and delicious and inventive menu. My husband's sweet potato pancakes were incredible. We enjoyed the experience. Would give it five stars, but the coffee was not good. Way too weak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014First time since new ownership....felt the quality and choices were equal to our previous visits...delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting, excellent foodtelefred61Dined on 10/18/2014We had brunch twice over the weekend and both meals were delicious. Hope to stay in one of the boarding rooms upstairs as the entire building is comfortable and loaded with charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!shokDined on 10/17/2014The mountain trout was excellent, as was the service. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slim seating and noisey groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Unfortunately, seating on a bench with a chair opposite with a very narrow table and very close to the another table was difficult. There was a very loud group in the dining areas. My entree was bulky with a romaine lettuce core and the plate was very small making eating uncomfortable..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeekerDined on 10/15/2014Not enough servers wed night long wait. Server worked as fast as she could. Also we had a very hard time getting out of parking lot. Cars on each side did not pull up far enough. It took two of us standing in the rain directing driver. Very very close. Food was WONDERFUL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmosphereKarenDined on 10/12/2014The food was interesting; something for everyone;Great small plates as well as entrees. It's relaxed, w an upbeat vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QueenbeeDined on 10/12/2014Interesting dishes. I missed their mushroom appetizer that I had in the summer. I would like to see a few more small dishes! Wish they would have a Sunday Brunch from like 10:00 to 2:00!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable..Kpw001VIPDined on 10/10/2014We went to celebrate our Anniversary. We started with the blue potatoes and they were delicious. For our entrees I had the trout and my husband had the shrimp and grits. Both dishes were wonderful. We had the pineapple bread pudding with caramel salted ice cream for dessert and it was yummy. We will be back!Special Features:
- OldcpaVIPDined on 10/10/2014Food presentation was excellent and tasteful. Oyster stew tended to be a little thin, but shrimp and grits were excellent and were among the best I have had.Special Features:
- Great Food All Three MealsdineallthetimeDined on 10/7/2014The breakfast is excellent and menu changes a little every day. The lunch/dinner menu is simple but the food is great. I had the trout and have never had fish any better. My wife had the grilled chicken and I tried it, it was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceeatingoutDined on 10/5/2014This was the first time we've eaten here, but we will be back. The food was delicious, and the ambiance was delightful. Our waitperson was very helpful and a pleasure to chat with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with familyJenerRussDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful, enthusiastic, very knowledgeable server- on the down side- didn't make a very big deal- or really even acknowledge special 50th bday- but other than that- superSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014Terrific food- chef Forman is extremely creative- menu extremely reasonably priced with several choices and nightlyspecials. wine list adequate. Will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Covers All GroupsIrishFoodieDined on 9/19/2014I return for the tenderloin Buttermilk mashed potatoes time after time. The service is good & sometimes great. The shrimp and grits superb. Used to be B&B w/ dining as secondary. Though The New has reached her pinnacle of dining. the chef is not intimidated or offended by some substitutions now and then. Good for me and my plain tastes. Though the rest of our party love everything on the menu. When the dining room is full it is extremely loud. Atmosphere is otherwise quaint but if you want to have a conversation while dining, go early. The wine list is good but could expand especially where sparkling wines (Bubbly) are concerned. Not sure why restaurants do not carry a FULL line of a dozen or so splits of Champagne or Sparkling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be back.HollyHobbyDined on 9/13/2014This was the second time I had tried this restaurant and have been disappointed both times. We won't be back. Our waiter wasn't very knowledgable and kept apologizing. Food was so so but not worth the price.
- culinary adventureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful place to dine. Everything from tapas to entrees. Nice wine list, and fully stocked bar area with comfortable seating areas where groups may gather. Have been there many times and would recommend it to anyone. However it is more for adults than children. There is no children's menu that we have seen. Nice wine list. We have never stayed there but understand it is a nice place to stay in the heart of the Blowing Rock action.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not as great as last timetybeefoodieDined on 9/7/2014We loved the New Public House when we ate there earlier in the summer. The menu has changed and I'm not sure it is an improvement. It seems the staff are tweaking the offerings. The menu is not quite there yet as there are some winners and a few losers. Everyone in our party loved their filets and the trout but the seafood cassoulet left something to be desired. It did not look appetizing to any of us. It wasn't up to standards and we would not order it again. This was disappointing as we had raved about the restaurant to our guests. We hope the New Public House will get the things worked out as we would like for the restaurant to be a success and find the quiet atmosphere nice for carrying on a conversation with other dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, go!BrownEyedGirlDined on 9/6/2014I knew the restaurant that was here prior, and I love what they have done with the space, it is open, beautiful, and a great place for a couples night out or a simple girls night. Our table had the house salad with chicken, another with filet, and a burger with pimento. Everyone enjoyed their food. They made a simple salad into a gourmet meal. Worth it. After all that lettuce, dessert was needed! We had the cheesecake, pound cake and torte. All great but I favored the cheesecake which is a big deal for this chocolate lover. Overall, I'd go again. I saw my neighbors with the filet mignon dinner, will try that next!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TksmithDined on 9/5/2014Don't miss this place. Shrimp and grits are out of this worldSpecial Features:
- Not so goodPumpkinDined on 8/31/2014I have written glowing reviews about the Public House in the past but we had our 4th dinner there and it wasn't too great. I would say it was an off night but it's the second time I got a soggy lettuce salad! It's like they just had washed it and half spun it out. It was early-only 7 pm. Pretty easy to do right so I'll complain-prep your lettuce people! My husband ordered the Grilled Rosemary Chicken-he got too heavily marinated boneless, skinless breasts, lots of rosemary and black grill marks-a few! Thot they marinaded in Italian dressing-totally too salty! I could have bought frozen at Costco!
- The NewDinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Somewhat interesting menu and reasonably priced. The fried green tomato wedges too hard to be in wedges- sliced would be better but the crust was good. The flank steak was a bit tough so I wouldn't order it again- the flavor was good though and the accompaniment were interesting and tasty. Dessert was fab! All in all I would return again and do recommend this to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new public house ---- quite a hit!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014We were sad to lose Crippen's, but are ecstatic with its replaceme! It is superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best for drinks and appetizersgagibsonDined on 8/30/2014The appetizers ("Bites") and imaginative cocktails are the stars here.Special Features:
- Food great, service was a problemCrystalConnoisseurDined on 8/30/2014Food was excellent. The house bacon app was yummy, although I prefer my bacon crispy rather than chewy. My son's House Salad with house smoked pork was absolutely excellent. I had the flank steak special, also excellent. Side of mushroom/lentil & braised escarole also delicious. Caesar salad--a bit too sour, but loved the whole anchovies on top. The problem was the service. The server (female) was young & surly from the start--no smile, just vague & bored like so many 20 somethings these days seem to be. I told her to bring my son's entree salad at the same time as my entree, but my salad and entree showed up at the same time as his entree salad. Not cool. Her attitude following this was terrible. But got 10% off for next time.Special Features:
- Expected morePaddymacVIPDined on 8/29/2014We were a bit disappointed with our experience at the New Public House restaurant. We feel the basics are in place, but it doesn't take the extra step needed to make it a great dining experience. The entree's were very good, my husband had the bison meatloaf and I had the trout. The portions were average. The menu is all ala carte. They do not include any bread or even a small house salad, and that is what we felt was needed. With so many really good restaurants in Blowing Rock, they fell short, when all it would take would be to add the extra touches needed.
- ELCEasyedDined on 8/28/2014Great ambiance. Interesting, unique, tasty food combinations. Pleasant staff and excellent wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MustMikeVIPDined on 8/28/2014This is now the best restaurant in Blowing Rock. Great menu. Fantastic chef.Special Features:
- SnowmanDined on 8/26/2014The menu did not appeal to me, but I have eaten dinner earlier this summer and it was good
- Birthday DinnerBirthday1Dined on 8/23/2014Had my daughters eighteen birthday here. The food was good and the service was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Chef Michael Forman is obviously a well- trained chef. The lobster flatbread appetizer special was nothing short of amazing with soft crust, feta cheese, tomatoes, other vegetables. The shrimp and grits was a gourmet version of a traditional NC favorite as was the mountain trout. Prices were extremely reasonable especially given the quality. The wine list was limited, but glasses were substantial and prices also low. Only downside was a somewhat limited menu but still something for everyone. A real find in an area with overpriced and mediocre restaurants. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a hit!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014I have eaten twice this summer at The New Public House - for breakfast and for dinner. Both meals were outstanding! The morning grits were creamy and to die for; the eggs perfectly cooked. Our dinner was superb - inventive entrees (we all got something different, and we were each impressed). I would HIGHLY recommend this - drinks on the porch first is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visitoffthemtnDined on 8/17/2014this was my second visit. first was breakfast and was very impressed. Second was dinner and still impressed. The menu changed recently from what was on line and that created some different choices but still satisfied. Waitress seemed new and timid. I learned more about dish choices listening and watching other tables and their waiters. Overall, I was very pleased with the dinner. talked about it at work the next day so it had to impress. Atmosphere is ok. chairs seem a bit low for the tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.