The Mussel Pot
174 Bleecker St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Mussel Pot
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://themusselpot.com/
- Phone: 2122602700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday Thru Friday 5:00pm - 12:00pm Dinner Saturday & Sunday 11:30am to 2:30pm Brunch 5:00pm to 12:00am Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Backyard Garden,
A word from The Mussel Pot
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Mussel Pot reviews from OpenTable diners
- This is the second time I'veTatesbugVIPDined on 9/6/2012This is the second time I've been here and it's always a very fine experience. The variety of mussels, the extremely friendly staff and the comfortable surroundings makes it a favorite.Special Features:
- AcceptableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2012Overall the Expereince was acceptable. What I did not appreciate was that our waitress' took a moment to appear and after she decide to arrive, we ended up having to ask for water, which I thought she was suppose to pour, simply because I saw other wait staff doing that with the other tables.Special Features:
- The absolute worst serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/1/2012The absolute worst service I've ever received. We weren't the only displeased customers in the place. Another table was having issues with their order and another couple actually got into a fight with the bartender/chefs. Drinks were terrible. Initially brought out the wrong dish for both of us. Then brought out the correct dish for one of us. I had to wait another 20 minutes to get my dinner resulting in my guests getting cold. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE.
- Distinctive rock gardenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2012Very nice to sit in the rear rock/moss garden with small naturalistic pool. Food was good. Entrees are priced appropriately, but $13 for cocktails is just too expensive, and even $7 for a modest cone of fries seems a bit much. Our Google Offer brought the tab down to what it should have been without it.Special Features:
- I got there early (4:15pm)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2012I got there early (4:15pm) and they tried to tell us it wasn't open. They had rap/hip hop music playing so loud we had to ask them to turn it down. The drinks were anemic. I asked for a martini and got 1 shot of gin in a glass (not a martini glass) and they had the nerve to charge $14 for it. The food was edible but nothing special. I wouln't go again and I wouldn't recommend it.
- Not Impressed.The servicejuhjuhDined on 8/25/2012Not Impressed.The service was horrible felt very rushed, NEVER AGAIN!!!
- Gorgeous garden in the backBeccaFVIPDined on 8/25/2012Gorgeous garden in the back was perfect for dinner (even though one friend nearly fell in the pond/fountain structure). Mussels were great for sharing, and everything was reasonably priced!Special Features:
- Delightful staff and good seafood!NYCAviationVIPDined on 8/19/2012Very good seafood dishes in a nice setting. Lost of shellfish to work at so don't wear your Sunday best! Delightful staff.Special Features:
- I had prepared not to expectkim2nycVIPDined on 8/17/2012I had prepared not to expect much since the reviews varies a lot. We were a group of 4, it has only one server that night I believe. We ordered 3 mussel pots: Louisana, Chef's Best & Bouillabaisse and 2 starters. Crab cake is tasty but only 2 small pieces. Mussel Pots are all okay satisfied, half stainless steel pot portion each. When the restaurant started to fill, service started to get worst. When we were trying to order dessert, the server was about to give out our check....we order Gelato, it came Sorbet. The server told us Gelato & Sorbet are the same!!?? Really?!! service was a little problem thereSpecial Features:
- Mussels for all interests!LizJ13VIPDined on 8/17/2012We started planning our next trips to The Mussel Pot after one look at their delicious and extensive mussel entrees page. How could we narrow down to only two pots?! We went with the Lobster Bisque and Thai mussel pots. The pots are large! They are about twice the size of your average mussel appetizer at a pizzeria/Italian restaurant. We encountered a number of mussels that seemed a little slimy and fishy tasting to us, but overall the quality of the mussels was very good. The sauces were heavy and filling, but we felt like they could have been more flavorful. I enjoyed all of the crab meat and shrimp in the lobster bisque pot, but found the Thai sauce and flavorings to be more rich and aromatic. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- The mussels were really good,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2012The mussels were really good, the crabcake very good too. The wine list was too limited and too pricey, my friend and I are big wine drinkers so I won't be frequenting all that often. Definitely check it out for yourself, it's worth a try. The outdoor garden is beautiful, also can be a good romantic spot. Service was very good.Special Features:
- The waitstaff tried very hardOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/12/2012The waitstaff tried very hard to please. They were very nice and efficient enough.Special Features:
- The happy hour deal only atjojonycVIPDined on 8/6/2012The happy hour deal only at the bar area? I wish they could have made it clearer on here and their FB page. Servers were very nice and friendly though.
- Food just OK. Service wasGraceDined on 8/5/2012Food just OK. Service was terrible. Wine list non existing. Waiter did not know how to open a bottle of wine.
- Tasty Mussles & Ample PortionsjungianjoeVIPDined on 8/5/2012The Mussel Pot provides a subdued indoor atmosphere offering a wide variety of entrees using mussels in combination with mixed seafood fare--it would take many visits to sample all of them. Having dined on a Sunday late afternoon afforded me a quiet experience. For appetizers I ate Crab Cakes which were tasty but barely warm; and a spinach salad. The "Chef's Best" was a well steamed mussels with lobster dish--sans lobster. The mussels were plentiful in more of a lobster-esque sauce (i.e., tiny bits of lobster) and was over salted--mildly disappointing since this year's lobster harvest was huge. Despite missing a few cues, the server was very polite and attentive. Overall, the food was tasty with ample portions in a comfortable setting
- Outstanding food! Didn't realizeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012Outstanding food! Didn't realize how many ways there are to fix mussels! Staff was very attentive. Granted, we had an "in"; but even with that, everyone was very nice. We did have to wait a little longer than expected for our entrees but I was told later each dish is cooked fresh to order. I suggest some bread on the table to munch on while waiting. The food was well worth the wait, including the desserts.Special Features:
- The service was excellent.KimballVIPDined on 8/4/2012The service was excellent. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Can't say enough bad thingsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/2/2012Can't say enough bad things about the quality of the food here.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing!HunskisDined on 8/1/2012Once again the Mussel Pot didn't disappoint! We stopped in to have a quick dinner before our jazz cruise...so we elected to take advantage of the $19.95 Mussel Pot special...which was limited to a choice out of 4-5 Mussel Pots, salad & wine! Needless to say...everything was wonderful! And we got to try some different flavors. The service was faast...the cuisine impeccable! We highly recommend the Mussel Pot for all of your dining occasions...with the varied menu selections...there's probably something for even the most critical palate.Special Features:
- The Zagat rating does notOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2012The Zagat rating does not fit the experience or quality of food. At first they brought out the wrong dish (the dish we were supposed to have included lobster, shrimp, crawfish) - the one they brought out had corn & shrimp only. They tried explaining that "they must have changed the dish and not updated the menu". The quality of the food would compare to that of a college kid. There is a reason you can get a reservation here when you want - no one goes. Don't waste your time - go somewhere else.
- Went with a party of 8 andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2012Went with a party of 8 and the service was terrible. The bar also was out of Stella.
- Food is o.k. Expensive forOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/13/2012Food is o.k. Expensive for what it is. Did not have several wines on the list. Was empty on Friday night.Special Features:
- Relative to other musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2012Relative to other mussels restaurants in the city it was good not great. Way better options out there, althought these were some of the largest, meatiest mussels I ever had.Special Features:
- Since we enjoyed the restaurantAnnaLevinDined on 7/12/2012Since we enjoyed the restaurant last summer, this summer it is a major disappointment! The appetizers were mediocre, the 4 mussel dishes we ordered were a major flop! Cold, tasteless and full of enriched flour...Not going back, ever...
- There was no AC when I wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2012There was no AC when I was there - they should fix that....
- Serioues eats and great serviceChantboyVIPDined on 6/29/2012Super fresh oysters, plump briny East and West Coast beauties. Perfectly cooked steak and they didn't hesitate when I asked for veggies instead of potatoes. They even honored my LivingSocial voucher, which I had not noticed was only meant to cover mussels and sides.Special Features:
- lobster mac n cheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/16/2012lobster mac n cheese is out of this world. my daughters cheese burger was outstanding. the mussels were good, not great. We had the Louisiana and Bouillabaise. the Lousiana was a little too spicy for the mussels but had great flavor. The bouillabaise was not flavourful enough.
- Everything we have orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2012Everything we have ordered has been delicious! Drinks are perfect, service is great, food is fantastic. We've been here 3 times already and can't wait to come back!! =)Special Features:
- Have been enjoying this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/15/2012Have been enjoying this place since we moved to NYC three years ago!Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2012Lovely place and the outdoor waterfall was just lovely. Food very tasty and a good choice. Would go again if in New YorkSpecial Features:
- Ate at the bar, had a greatChantboyVIPDined on 6/6/2012Ate at the bar, had a great time, friendly helpful barmaid. Had a dozen of the freshest tastiest oysters on the half shell, and they gave four each of three different types, enjoyed comparing them. Perfectly grilled steak followed with garlic sautéed spinach on the side.Special Features:
- Food is outstanding! PeopleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2012Food is outstanding! People are very friendly, this is our new FAV restaraunt! We will be going back again & again to taste every mussel pot on the list!Special Features:
- Very disappointed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/22/2012Very disappointed with the mussels had to get a burger instead that was dry and uneventful. Waitstaff was accomodating but bartender was not friendly at all. Nice ambience for sure. You are tricked into thinking you will have a delightful dinning experience,but at the end it all falls apartSpecial Features:
- Needs new management. Badly.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/20/2012Needs new management. Badly. When we entered there was no host/hostess. So we asked the bartender about our reservation. We waited a few minutes and finally a bus boy seated us out of embarrassment. We didn't get menus so I grabbed them from the front myself. Our waiter took some time to get to us and informed us that two servers had quit the night before without notice. Our waiter was decent but it was clear he had 8 tables to handle that night. The manager was aloof and unhelpful. The food was decent, if you could get the right order to your table. The table next to ours got our entrees delivered to their table before we even got our appetizers. They commented to us how that was the 2nd time the wrong dishes arrived.
- Food was good, mussel portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/18/2012Food was good, mussel portions were small, service was incredibly slow. Took 45 minutes to get our order.
- great menu great servicefoodie29Dined on 5/15/2012great menu great service (our waiter was the only one on that night so it was a little slow but completely understandable)Special Features:
- The food is just not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2012The food is just not good and the mussels are bad.
- Mussels for DaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2012Great small restaurant with garden at the back. Service was good, even for a Friday evening. I went with a group of 5 women and we all had our fill of the various types of mussels and sangria. Great to share the pots with friends, and get a variety. Great appetizers also.Special Features:
- We love mussels so we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/8/2012We love mussels so we were looking forward to trying it. We were sat at one of the four tables near the bar because apparently there was a party of 50 coming in. It was noisy to say the least, We would have been better off sitting at the bar. Service was slow and the waiter was not efficient. The Caesar salad was pretty much just chopped lettuce and croutons from a box. The hamburger was supposedly beef from the menu description but I swear it was some sort of mystery meat. The lobster mussels were over cooked hard and dry. The best thing we had was the over salted french fries that came with the hamburger.
- As we commented to the ownerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2012As we commented to the owner we were very impressed with our visit to The Mussel Pot. Great food and great service. Every staff member was exceptional. We will be recommending it to our friends who visit NYC.Special Features: