The Mooring Restaurant
1 Sayer's Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Mooring Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mooringrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4018462260x
- Hours of Operation:
Fri. & Sat. 11:30am – 10pm
Sun. – Thurs. 11:30am – 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy water views of Newport Harbor from virtually every seat. We offer three semi-private to private dining rooms and an option of outdoor private dining during the spring and summer months. Our beautifully appointed rooms are perfect for intimate gatherings, small wedding receptions or private business functions, with groups up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Picozzi 888-759-5557x
A word from The Mooring Restaurant
Located in the heart of downtown Newport's waterfront, the Mooring Seafood Kitchen & Bar provides the freshest and most creative local, regional and international fish and seafood selections, paired with an award-winning 900+ label wine list. The Mooring adheres to fresh, local and organic in many plate preparations. Enjoy true waterfront views of Narragansett Harbor as you dine at one of the best seafood restaurants in New England.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Mooring Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Mooring Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
557 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (429)great for outdoor dining (382)special occasion (258)romantic (187)good for groups (184)fit for foodies (183)great for lunch (159)hot spot (126)notable wine list (119)vibrant bar scene (106)neighborhood gem (96)kid-friendly (73)great for brunch (54)late-night find (31)Show More
- Love The MooringOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014My boyfriend & I dined here Labor Day weekend on Sunday night. We requested a table outside & that's exactly what we got! We absolutely loved our table overlooking the water. It was in its own little corner, very private. The service & food were outstanding. This was our first time to Newport & would definitely eat here again in the future.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed dinner here on Labor Day weekend. The service was amazing, the food was incredible and the view... We were seated on the deck overlooking the harbor. It was perfect. Highly recommend. The Mooring is a must if you are anywhere near Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Be BackOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Made a Lunch reservation at The Mooring when I was in Newport for a Wedding. Glad I made the decision to eat here and will definitely stop here again next time I am in town. Great service, great atmosphere, specifically out on the deck/patio and a great overall energy. Lobster Croissant is a must-order.Special Features:
- Lisa Lisa NJOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014We were seated immediately for our reserved time. The wait staff was excellent as well as the food. This restaurant is definitely not a tourist trap that I'm sure everyone has experienced. Can't wait to go back. Thanks to everyone at The Mooring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I visited Newport for the first time and made a reservation and The Mooring. The outdoor deck looks over the pier and the service and food was so good. Wish they had a shrimp dish but the salmon and pork were both tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014From my dirty martini, to the raw bar, to the grilled scallops, 4 stars on all!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's not about the food...FoodfinderVIPDined on 8/30/2014Beautiful restaurant, great outdoor seating w/ great views, but food was tasteless, boring, and everything on menu was not quite what we were looking for. Choices in appetizers were fair, but popular bag of donuts tasted fishy and you needed the dipping sauce for any flavor. Raw clams were decent. Tuna tartare needed brightness. Pasta entree was fair. Seafood pieces were plentiful, but lacking taste. Sandwhich plates were awful! Open turkey was dry, tasteless. Cod sandwhich had too much breaking to fish. Did not stay for dessert. We have tried this restaurant repeatedly over the years, because is seats big groups, and has a great view. But come for drinks, maybe the fresh bread. Too many other choices for good food in Newport.Special Features:
- Food's OK but not as good as it wasglh3VIPDined on 8/30/2014The main room and patio are lovely and the service is attentive and friendly, but the food has gone downhill. The menu rarely changes and what few changes that have occurred were inferior to what they replaced. Given the prices, the food should be better.Special Features:
- Oasis in Newport storm of peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Labor Day weekend in Newport is a climatic time for finding a place to take your family for late lunch on Saturday. The town is mobbed with tourists, residents, and boaters. Parking is at a premium and usually requires a 15 minute plus walk to any destination near Thames Street. The Mooring was a perfect choice especially when members of your party have limited mobility. There is parking available outside the front door on the wharf and the Mooring accepts reservations (very few others nearby do). It may be pricey; but it is sure worth it when you want to insure all have a good time and great food! The lobster salad is prepared perfectly!Special Features:
- If you haven't tried this...do!OhioFoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014Once we got past the grumpy bartender and to our table the experience was near perfection. Our corner table on the upper patio was private, quiet, and the view was lovely. Our waitress was attentive. The food was fabulous.Special Features:
- Great seafoodIsaGVIPDined on 8/29/2014I love Mooring, first time in Newport. I really love seafood, and Mooring has it all.Great service and scenic view!!Special Features:
- britboy28Dined on 8/28/2014The butter was cold not soft when we got bread, our server wasn't present all time, beet salad looked like salad from stop shop. The pork tenderloin was amazing and cheesecake and lemonade dessert wasn't something to talk about, overall I don't think I'll be coming backSpecial Features:
- Very good but busyAmbienceVIPDined on 8/27/2014The food was very good. They were extremely busy so had to wait for service at times. The waitress did her best.Special Features:
- Ship Shape at the MooringGourmegDined on 8/26/2014The ambience is warm and welcoming. The restaurant is popular and was quite full on a Tuesday night. The Mooring offers a raw bar, which was very good. I had a chicken dish which was very tasty, although the restaurant has a large fish selection. The service is very good and our waiter Mark was very helpful with suggestions and information. There are some interesting choices for desserts that were yummy. When in Newport check out the Mooring, but make a reservation.Special Features:
- SCargoDined on 8/26/2014This very popular place lives up to it's reputation. Excellent food, drinks, and scenic location. The service was great and very friendly. Don't go without a reservation! Try the "bag of donuts"! A perfect ending to our stay in Newport.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!NewbietoNewportDined on 8/26/2014Our first time to Newport and tried the Mooring Restaurant for our daughters 16th birthday. We have a beautiful table outdoors as the sun went down. Food was delicious and service was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful EveningGoto83Dined on 8/26/2014Requested and received an outdoor table for seven people. The service and food were very good. Along with the terrific weather the scenery with the yachts in the background was extra special. The service was especially good with Katie leading the way. Our food was delicious and the raw bar appetizers were awesome. It was a fabulous night!Special Features:
- Fresh food Friendly waitstaffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Visiting Newport for two days - dined here first night and liked it so much we had dinner again the second evening. Fresh seafood prepared creatively - all ingredients fresh. View of harbor while dining is beautiful Both servers were friendly provided great service. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Seafood Lovers ParadiseWanDaFullDined on 8/24/2014Arrived about 2 hours before sunset. You'll want to be careful to bring shades and a hat since the sun does come into the restaurant. Great to watch the boats come in and the sun set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite what we were expectingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Great view and "feel," but very noisy when there's a full house. Food was very good, but portion sizes were a bit lacking and the seafood fritters didn't contain a lot of seafood. Drinks were good, but smallish and didn't seem to contain a lot of alcohol. Waiter was attentive, but food was not quick in arriving (not his fault). It was served hot though, which is more important than timing.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencetwoldfartsDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I took some time out of our busy schedules to spend some us time...We totally enjoyed everything from the bread in a bag, the chowder that was a smooth as silk to our main entrees..the waitress was wonderful also..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is average/fairCJK123Dined on 8/23/2014The location and ambiance is good for groups and families. It was very noisy whether sitting inside or out. Service was outstanding, my entree was not so. I had "fresh" striped bass which was thin, way over cooked and coated with some crusty mixture, was supposed to be pan roasted. Not a good way to serve fresh caught fish. The manager was understanding enough and did the right thing removing it from my bill. That action alone would bring me back for a second chance.Special Features:
- Beautiful settingMaureenVIPDined on 8/23/2014We asked for a table outside as it was a beautiful Sunday afternoon; we waited a little but the view of the harbor was great. The only down side was that as the sun set it became a little too hot, but we had finished our dinner anyway. I had the crab cake and my husband had the scallop chowder for appetizers; both were delicious. For the entrée I had the Bass special, served with some root vegetables and light sauce. My husband had the Tuna which was served with a small amount of summer squash. We ordered a bottle of wine; the first selection was not available but we selected a nice red that went well with our meal. Our server was attentive and pleasant.Special Features:
- Very Nice - just go !TomCDined on 8/22/2014From the hostess to the bus boys and everyone in between - excellent, attentive, professional, service ! The food was excellent - no criticism possible. The menu was varied enough but maintains its allegiance to the sea (after all you are sitting a few feet above salt water!) Sure it was pricey but if you're on a budget go to Wendy's. The wine list was immense but presented in an easily sorted data base format on a tablet. Dessert was excellent but not so huge that you regretted ordering it... perfect sweet to end an excellent meal. JUST GOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticWilliamTDined on 8/22/2014Everything about our dinner was great. Meal, wine and service were perfect. Dan was great, the bag of donuts lived up to its billing, seafood salad was even better. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must tryandrebVIPDined on 8/22/2014Went for lunch. Folks were getting turned away or wait for a half hour to hour wait. Maitre D got us a great table on deck by water. Excellent raw bar! Service was good and food awesome. Looks like a great bar if there are no Open Table reservations available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need More iPadsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/21/2014Food was great but with a group of 6 it would have been nice to have an additional beverage list. Maybe have back ups on paper? I understand things change quickly and i love the details you can get about the wines and beers but it was just tricky to get it around to everyone at the table. I feel like it made us add 15 mins to our ordering time because everyone needed a turn for the most part.Special Features:
- HerrDocDined on 8/21/2014Excellent meal, as always. Scallop chowder was thick, creamy, with lots of sea scallops - wonderful. Salmon entre was excellent, while the fish & chips was good, but more than could be consumed at one sitting. Great wine list. Thumbs up all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerwribitVIPDined on 8/21/2014I normally don't leave reviews but the food here was excellent. It came out super hot which I find most places it is the plate that is hot from sitting under the lights! Not here! The sides were great! I have a shellfish allergy and they really took the time to be sure that my food was perfect. Will most definatly return here again and soon!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014The food was very bland tasting. I had the swordfish and it had no flavor. Food is definitely no worth the prices. Would never recommend this restaurant.
- Great eats!DeeeeeDined on 8/21/2014Was not disappointed. Love love love the food and service!! Pricy but worth it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafood Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Made reservations through Open Table for lunch, requested outdoor seating and even though there was a wait for people walking in, we were able to sit outside which was very nice. I ordered the salmon BLT wrap which was excellent, my husband ordered the fish & chips which were very good as well as my daughter's shrimp w/crab sauce and a mango salsa. One of my daughter's does not like seafood except for tuna so she had a difficult time finding something to eat on the menu. The tuna sounded great but she is allergic to peppers and although it is not stated in the menu, after asking the waiter, learned that it had a lot of peppers, maybe they should add that to the description. The calamari appetizer was great, tender and fresh.Special Features:
- Great restaurantgreateats24Dined on 8/20/2014Good food presented well great service and atmosphere Highly recommend for any visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and allergy awareAllergymomDined on 8/20/2014It's always difficult traveling with a young child who has a life threatening food allergy. Meal time can create a little anxiety in us all. And that's when we are relieved to not only find a non-chain restaurant with great food, but one that is also very aware of food allergies. Because we made our reservation through OpenTable and made note of the allergy, the restaurant was already aware when we arrived. Our server went out of her way to explain how they would protect my daughter from her allergen and what she could eat from the menu. She also made note that a pepper mixture for bread dipping contained an allergen - something I had even forgotten about. It's one of the relaxing dining experiences we have had AND the food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the place to eat in NewportscottieDined on 8/19/2014It was my mother's 91 birthday. We had an excellent table. The service from host, wait staff, to bus boy was friendly and simply well done. They even handled the scooter. We have very good food. I highly recommend The Mooring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGila1216Dined on 8/18/2014Everything was delicious and so fresh. We had the oysters, mussels, clam chowder, stuffed lobster and brownie dessert. All incredible. Our waitress was a little slow and didn't come around often but very sweet non the less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a little bit moreloukDined on 8/18/2014We did expect a little more from the food to be honest. Although the appetizers were good the entrees not so much. I ordered stripped bass with turnips and potatoes. The fish way overcooked (burned and dry) with a sweet sauce that did not go well at all. The Portuguese cod was a great dish. Everything else was excellent, the wine selection, ambiance, exceptional service and the scenic view.Special Features:
- It was fantastic!bjd15Dined on 8/17/2014We were seated immediately in a great spot. Our waitress, Ashley, was extremely nice. My husband's filet was spectacular. My tuna was perfect! We were celebrating a special event in our lives and dining here made it all the more memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Pricy but very good. You could not ask for a better view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014This was our second visit to The Moorings. Service was excellent and staff was very attentive and accommodating but not pushy or overbearing. We were seated immediately upon arrival at a table of our choice. Food was very well prepared and presented. Would definitely go again.Special Features: