The Mooring Restaurant
1 Sayer's Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Mooring Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mooringrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4018462260x
- Hours of Operation:
Fri. & Sat. 11:30am – 11pm
Sun. – Thurs. 11:30am – 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy water views of Newport Harbor from virtually every seat. We offer three semi-private to private dining rooms and an option of outdoor private dining during the spring and summer months. Our beautifully appointed rooms are perfect for intimate gatherings, small wedding receptions or private business functions, with groups up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Picozzi 888-759-5557x
A word from The Mooring Restaurant
Located in the heart of downtown Newport's waterfront, the Mooring Seafood Kitchen & Bar provides the freshest and most creative local, regional and international fish and seafood selections, paired with an award-winning 900+ label wine list. The Mooring adheres to fresh, local and organic in many plate preparations. Enjoy true waterfront views of Narragansett Harbor as you dine at one of the best seafood restaurants in New England.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Mooring Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Mooring Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
538 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (419)great for outdoor dining (368)special occasion (249)good for groups (184)fit for foodies (182)romantic (178)great for lunch (152)hot spot (123)notable wine list (121)vibrant bar scene (104)neighborhood gem (94)kid-friendly (71)great for brunch (55)late-night find (30)Show More
- Very good but busyAmbienceVIPDined on 8/27/2014The food was very good. They were extremely busy so had to wait for service at times. The waitress did her best.Special Features:
- Ship Shape at the MooringGourmegDined on 8/26/2014The ambience is warm and welcoming. The restaurant is popular and was quite full on a Tuesday night. The Mooring offers a raw bar, which was very good. I had a chicken dish which was very tasty, although the restaurant has a large fish selection. The service is very good and our waiter Mark was very helpful with suggestions and information. There are some interesting choices for desserts that were yummy. When in Newport check out the Mooring, but make a reservation.Special Features:
- SCargoDined on 8/26/2014This very popular place lives up to it's reputation. Excellent food, drinks, and scenic location. The service was great and very friendly. Don't go without a reservation! Try the "bag of donuts"! A perfect ending to our stay in Newport.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Our first time to Newport and tried the Mooring Restaurant for our daughters 16th birthday. We have a beautiful table outdoors as the sun went down. Food was delicious and service was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful EveningGoto83Dined on 8/26/2014Requested and received an outdoor table for seven people. The service and food were very good. Along with the terrific weather the scenery with the yachts in the background was extra special. The service was especially good with Katie leading the way. Our food was delicious and the raw bar appetizers were awesome. It was a fabulous night!Special Features:
- Fresh food Friendly waitstaffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Visiting Newport for two days - dined here first night and liked it so much we had dinner again the second evening. Fresh seafood prepared creatively - all ingredients fresh. View of harbor while dining is beautiful Both servers were friendly provided great service. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Seafood Lovers ParadiseOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/24/2014Arrived about 2 hours before sunset. You'll want to be careful to bring shades and a hat since the sun does come into the restaurant. Great to watch the boats come in and the sun set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite what we were expectingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Great view and "feel," but very noisy when there's a full house. Food was very good, but portion sizes were a bit lacking and the seafood fritters didn't contain a lot of seafood. Drinks were good, but smallish and didn't seem to contain a lot of alcohol. Waiter was attentive, but food was not quick in arriving (not his fault). It was served hot though, which is more important than timing.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I took some time out of our busy schedules to spend some us time...We totally enjoyed everything from the bread in a bag, the chowder that was a smooth as silk to our main entrees..the waitress was wonderful also..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is average/fairCJK123Dined on 8/23/2014The location and ambiance is good for groups and families. It was very noisy whether sitting inside or out. Service was outstanding, my entree was not so. I had "fresh" striped bass which was thin, way over cooked and coated with some crusty mixture, was supposed to be pan roasted. Not a good way to serve fresh caught fish. The manager was understanding enough and did the right thing removing it from my bill. That action alone would bring me back for a second chance.Special Features:
- Beautiful settingMaureenVIPDined on 8/23/2014We asked for a table outside as it was a beautiful Sunday afternoon; we waited a little but the view of the harbor was great. The only down side was that as the sun set it became a little too hot, but we had finished our dinner anyway. I had the crab cake and my husband had the scallop chowder for appetizers; both were delicious. For the entrée I had the Bass special, served with some root vegetables and light sauce. My husband had the Tuna which was served with a small amount of summer squash. We ordered a bottle of wine; the first selection was not available but we selected a nice red that went well with our meal. Our server was attentive and pleasant.Special Features:
- Very Nice - just go !TomCDined on 8/22/2014From the hostess to the bus boys and everyone in between - excellent, attentive, professional, service ! The food was excellent - no criticism possible. The menu was varied enough but maintains its allegiance to the sea (after all you are sitting a few feet above salt water!) Sure it was pricey but if you're on a budget go to Wendy's. The wine list was immense but presented in an easily sorted data base format on a tablet. Dessert was excellent but not so huge that you regretted ordering it... perfect sweet to end an excellent meal. JUST GOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticWilliamTDined on 8/22/2014Everything about our dinner was great. Meal, wine and service were perfect. Dan was great, the bag of donuts lived up to its billing, seafood salad was even better. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must tryandrebVIPDined on 8/22/2014Went for lunch. Folks were getting turned away or wait for a half hour to hour wait. Maitre D got us a great table on deck by water. Excellent raw bar! Service was good and food awesome. Looks like a great bar if there are no Open Table reservations available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need More iPadsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/21/2014Food was great but with a group of 6 it would have been nice to have an additional beverage list. Maybe have back ups on paper? I understand things change quickly and i love the details you can get about the wines and beers but it was just tricky to get it around to everyone at the table. I feel like it made us add 15 mins to our ordering time because everyone needed a turn for the most part.Special Features:
- HerrDocDined on 8/21/2014Excellent meal, as always. Scallop chowder was thick, creamy, with lots of sea scallops - wonderful. Salmon entre was excellent, while the fish & chips was good, but more than could be consumed at one sitting. Great wine list. Thumbs up all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerwribitVIPDined on 8/21/2014I normally don't leave reviews but the food here was excellent. It came out super hot which I find most places it is the plate that is hot from sitting under the lights! Not here! The sides were great! I have a shellfish allergy and they really took the time to be sure that my food was perfect. Will most definatly return here again and soon!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014The food was very bland tasting. I had the swordfish and it had no flavor. Food is definitely no worth the prices. Would never recommend this restaurant.
- Great eats!DeeeeeDined on 8/21/2014Was not disappointed. Love love love the food and service!! Pricy but worth it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafood Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Made reservations through Open Table for lunch, requested outdoor seating and even though there was a wait for people walking in, we were able to sit outside which was very nice. I ordered the salmon BLT wrap which was excellent, my husband ordered the fish & chips which were very good as well as my daughter's shrimp w/crab sauce and a mango salsa. One of my daughter's does not like seafood except for tuna so she had a difficult time finding something to eat on the menu. The tuna sounded great but she is allergic to peppers and although it is not stated in the menu, after asking the waiter, learned that it had a lot of peppers, maybe they should add that to the description. The calamari appetizer was great, tender and fresh.Special Features:
- Great restaurantgreateats24Dined on 8/20/2014Good food presented well great service and atmosphere Highly recommend for any visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and allergy awareAllergymomDined on 8/20/2014It's always difficult traveling with a young child who has a life threatening food allergy. Meal time can create a little anxiety in us all. And that's when we are relieved to not only find a non-chain restaurant with great food, but one that is also very aware of food allergies. Because we made our reservation through OpenTable and made note of the allergy, the restaurant was already aware when we arrived. Our server went out of her way to explain how they would protect my daughter from her allergen and what she could eat from the menu. She also made note that a pepper mixture for bread dipping contained an allergen - something I had even forgotten about. It's one of the relaxing dining experiences we have had AND the food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the place to eat in NewportscottieDined on 8/19/2014It was my mother's 91 birthday. We had an excellent table. The service from host, wait staff, to bus boy was friendly and simply well done. They even handled the scooter. We have very good food. I highly recommend The Mooring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGila1216Dined on 8/18/2014Everything was delicious and so fresh. We had the oysters, mussels, clam chowder, stuffed lobster and brownie dessert. All incredible. Our waitress was a little slow and didn't come around often but very sweet non the less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a little bit moreloukDined on 8/18/2014We did expect a little more from the food to be honest. Although the appetizers were good the entrees not so much. I ordered stripped bass with turnips and potatoes. The fish way overcooked (burned and dry) with a sweet sauce that did not go well at all. The Portuguese cod was a great dish. Everything else was excellent, the wine selection, ambiance, exceptional service and the scenic view.Special Features:
- It was fantastic!bjd15Dined on 8/17/2014We were seated immediately in a great spot. Our waitress, Ashley, was extremely nice. My husband's filet was spectacular. My tuna was perfect! We were celebrating a special event in our lives and dining here made it all the more memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Pricy but very good. You could not ask for a better view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014This was our second visit to The Moorings. Service was excellent and staff was very attentive and accommodating but not pushy or overbearing. We were seated immediately upon arrival at a table of our choice. Food was very well prepared and presented. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- A great discovery 5 years agoIsadoreDined on 8/17/2014Despite its mass of transient diners, the mngmnt & staff make you feel so welcome. This trip to Newport is an annual summer outing from Sthrn CT for my wife and I & usually another couple. Last summer, we saw the introduction of the wine list on the iPad, a really nice touch. This summer we saw the staff using "Tidy Tables" to wipe off the tables. I always roll my eyes when you see a table being wiped with the same cloth table after table without being washed in-between. "Tidy Tables" gives a clean sanitized table every time. Well done The Moorings. Just goes to show, complacency does not fit in at The Moorings. And as usual, the food is well worth the two hour drive from CT. See you in September at the boat show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely settingcdlaVIPDined on 8/17/2014The raw bar was great, but the rest of the food was just so-so. Our server was friendly and efficient. Make sure to sit outside.Special Features:
- Great!!!!BrunchDined on 8/16/2014Food was excellent. We had four appetizers including the bag of doughnuts, which was outstanding. We are an avid seafood lover and a vegetarian and we both left completely full. The drinks are also great. Would highly recommend to anyone visiting Newport. Definitely sit outside as the restaurant is loud. We had wonderful servers.Special Features:
- Great food with a viewRaylabVIPDined on 8/16/2014This waterfront venue overlooks Newport Harbor and the exciting activities of million dollar yachts cruising in and out of a New England summer destination . Food and service were top notch and the management knows how to handle a crowd without making anyone feel rushed. There's always a daily special and the lively bar scene is not to be missed. Try the raw bar sampler which includes oysters, clams, shrimp and is topped off by a chilled lobster! What could be more "New England Seaside Dining" than that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic lunch!DTngDined on 8/16/2014We had a great lunch sitting outside overlooking Newport harbor. The outdoor deck was nice with an awning to protect you from the sun. We both had seafood and it was fresh and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The MooringPattyNYDined on 8/15/2014We had a lovely meal with great service. The scallops and corn pudding were sublime. It was our first trip to Newport and we would recommend The Mooring for the food, the service and the ambience. Thank goodness we had a reservation, because there was an hour wait for a table. We plan to return to Newport and will most certainly visit The Mooring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Mealgrc1958Dined on 8/14/2014My son (13 yrs old) and I had an 8:30 reservation on a busy Thursday evening in August, prime time in Newport. We were seated outdoors on a perfect little patio, all of four tables. Our server, Kaley(hope I spelled it correctly)was simply wonderful. The service, food (a superb raw bar!) and ambience were second to none. Kaley was great with my son, and I really appreciated it. Can't wait till next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very diapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/20141) I can't believe you can charge people to park in your onsite handicap parking, is that even legal!?! 2) after dropping off my elderly guests you seat them outside after they expressed reservations about the predicted drop in temp and increasing winds. We will not recommend this restaurant to anyone because of your lack of service and inability and unwillingness to please your guests. And for the record we had reservations
- Love The Mooring!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014The Mooring is one of our go to restaurants in Newport for special occasions, date night or just for a cocktail and a bag of doughnuts at the bar. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tradition for our familymeyerwooVIPDined on 8/11/2014Must haves ... bag of doughnuts, clam chowder, seafood pasta, beef filet, Portuguese roasted cod, Georges Bank Scallops. Not too crazy about the Brussels sprouts side. But we will still go here every year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, service and sunset!CatsDined on 8/11/2014We had a wonderful dinner and the service was superb. Attentive and unobtrusive. The ambiencel of,the boat harbor is lovely. We were in a side too that was quiet but the rest was noisey. Sure the outside was quiet. Great sunset view. On the wharf and in them center of Newport.Special Features:
- Special Nite in Newport!BillfitzDined on 8/11/2014Great food and great service. Ashley B. our waitress was fantastic. Birthday celebration was very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.